Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2013, 20:36   #871
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Completed 12k kms in our Ertiga Zdi.

Best/Worst/Overall Avg's- Highway only.
Best> 21kmpl / prior to 2nd service. / Consistent 70-80 kmph.
Worst> 16kmpl / prior to 3rd service. / Consistent 120-140+ kmph.
Overall> 18 to 18.5 kmpl / Sane driving between 80-100 kmpl.
AC on throughout.

City Avg's-
Consistently between 15.5 to 16 kmpl, over almost 4-5k kms driving.
AC on throughout.

We are pretty happy with the Ertiga, but who doesn't want more? below are items on my wishlist for next version Ertiga (not sure if there is one planned this year or next...anyway that shouldn't stop the critic in me.)

->Either reduce the number of windows or increase AC effectiveness...!! Not a major problem in BLR climes though.
->50-50 split for last row, which would provide flexibility with luggage.
->Headlights need serious upgrading for highway drives.
->Upgraded front fog lights, 200Rs Chinese led flashlights are far better..!!
->Reflective dashboard- Was a problem for 3-4 months, until it faded out and self healed the problem.
->Have darker interior color options, like the swift.
->Auto folding (closing) rear view mirrors.
->Provision to switch off rear AC from driver side.
->Remote boot opening.
->Puddle lights- at least on the 'massive' middle doors, cautions other incoming vehicles about this roadblock.

Others like ICE, seats etc- we have an option to upgrade as per our liking without worries about warranty.

Engine/Refinement/Ride Quality/Space- no cribs on these, more than acceptable, and we get for what we pay.

Last edited by xotiq : 27th January 2013 at 20:44.
xotiq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 20:34   #872
Senior - BHPian

My Ertiga is at 19000 kms now with an impending trip to Pollachi this weekend. A couple of points:

An Innova banged my right side ORVM from the opposite direction and both of us were doing approximately 80 kmph. The entire mirror unit escaped with a minor scratch although when it hit it sounded like the entire housing had come off. But it didn't and I'm impressed at the build quality!

I'm hearing a creaky sound from my seat every time I take a sweeping turn. I hear it when my body weight shifts on the seat. In hindsight I shouldn't have allowed the dealer to remove all the seats to carpet the floor. I have a feeling they have messed up the factory fit on my seat.

A piece of advice to prospective buyers - don't allow the dealer to remove the seats! It's better to live with a dirty carpet than a squeaky seat! My first agenda in the next service is to get this sorted.

Mileage according to the MID is a consistent 18 kmpl. Engine is butter smooth and a pleasure to drive. On a straight stretch on the ECR managed a consistent 140 kmph. Although the engine was ready for more but better sense prevailed. I'm comfortable with 100 and the engine just relaxes at that speed.

Even after 9000 kms on the clock since the last service, the alignment is top notch with straight line drivability. The ride is better at full load of 7 people than just 2 or 3 on board. The ride quality is also influenced by nitrogen inflated tyres.

Not a rattle or squeak even after driving on potholed roads at speed. Barring the squeaky seat of course!

Overall, extremely satisfied with the product! Will I buy the Ertiga if I'm in the market for a UV today? Definitely!
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 21:14   #873
Senior - BHPian

What is the waiting period for Zdi in Bangalore? Met a guy last Sunday and according to him, VDi is readily available and 45 days for ZDi. Is it true?
Old 28th January 2013, 21:24   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
What is the waiting period for Zdi in Bangalore? Met a guy last Sunday and according to him, VDi is readily available and 45 days for ZDi. Is it true?
Is this true? There is still no challenger for ertiga as am alternative so has the overall demand gone down? Or is everybody waiting for appraisals?
Old 28th January 2013, 22:10   #875

Took delivery of a VDi Ertiga last week; completed 500 km since. When the speed reaches 70-80 kmph, there seems to be some 'hissing' sound somewhere from the front and it increases further with increase in speed. It doesn't seem like the turbo switching on. Anybody experienced any similar sounds? Tyres have been upgraded to 205/60 R15 on OE alloys.
aaja45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 07:21   #876
BHPian

The waiting period has come down for ertiga. Atleast in bangalore kalyani motors told me that vdi is readily available and 2 months waiting for zdi. I don't think demand has come down.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 29th January 2013 at 07:24.
Old 29th January 2013, 13:13   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaja45 View Post
Took delivery of a VDi Ertiga last week; completed 500 km since. When the speed reaches 70-80 kmph, there seems to be some 'hissing' sound somewhere from the front and it increases further with increase in speed. It doesn't seem like the turbo switching on. Anybody experienced any similar sounds? Tyres have been upgraded to 205/60 R15 on OE alloys.
yes this happens in my vehicle as well. This is primarily due to air leak from front quarter window glass.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 13:15   #878
BHPian

Its been a month now & My vehicle has done 2500 kms. Since last couple of days i started hearing a horrible rattle in the dash. Specifically on the trim covering the cluster, did any one else notice this ?
Old 29th January 2013, 18:19   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Its been a month now & My vehicle has done 2500 kms. Since last couple of days i started hearing a horrible rattle in the dash. Specifically on the trim covering the cluster, did any one else notice this ?
Did you remove the dash to install ICE or to do some wiring? Probably it's missing a screw or holder somewhere? Sometimes if you have a few coins or keys in the hole next to the aircon vent or the cubby hole down there, you will hear these items moving about giving a rattle. I don't hear any rattle from mine on the dash and everything is intact. Have it checked with the service centre, they should be able to isolate and arrest it.
Old 29th January 2013, 19:30   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I'm hearing a creaky sound from my seat every time I take a sweeping turn. I hear it when my body weight shifts on the seat. In hindsight I shouldn't have allowed the dealer to remove all the seats to carpet the floor. I have a feeling they have messed up the factory fit on my seat.

A piece of advice to prospective buyers - don't allow the dealer to remove the seats! It's better to live with a dirty carpet than a squeaky seat! My first agenda in the next service is to get this sorted.
Like I reported earlier, I still hear the sound from middle row right seat (2 seater). Even I suspect that the reason is same as you did - when I got the new seat covers, all the seats were removed from the car. And most likely, they might have missed a washer or some rubber bush etc, hence this noise.
nistala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 19:41   #881
BHPian

Folks was browsing this thread and couldn't find the info. Do we have the EURONCAP rating for the Ertiga?

Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 15:25   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
This is primarily due to air leak from front quarter window glass.
You must be surely joking! Air leaking from some glass in a Rs 10 Lac - almost car and that too so new !!
Ertiga has been around since April last year only. Tell me what you expect when Ertiga is 5 years old,the roof flying away or something similar ??!!

There are good amount of rubber lining in every door and window pane in Ertiga, as is evident from the reduced outside noise when one pulls-up all windows.Even the diesel clatter becomes a faint background din. If there is air leak through a glass/side of any glass, it would have happened at any speed,not only at 70-80 Kmph firstly,and also every occupant would have felt the draught !!
Old 31st January 2013, 16:05   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
You must be surely joking! Air leaking from some glass in a Rs 10 Lac - almost car and that too so new !!
Ertiga has been around since April last year only. Tell me what you expect when Ertiga is 5 years old,the roof flying away or something similar ??!!

There are good amount of rubber lining in every door and window pane in Ertiga, as is evident from the reduced outside noise when one pulls-up all windows.Even the diesel clatter becomes a faint background din. If there is air leak through a glass/side of any glass, it would have happened at any speed,not only at 70-80 Kmph firstly,and also every occupant would have felt the draught !!
I think I agree with this assessment. The reason I say this, am just coming back from a test drive of the Ertiga ZDi and I did about 40 kms driving, both on pot holed roads and on the elevated expressway from Electronics city (people in Bangalore would know this).

The demo vehicle had done about 15,000 kms on the odo and had 185 tyres. Man what a brilliant engine, and it is super refined. I deliberately made sure to switch off the music as well the AC to hear any funny noises etc., but found none. I also drove at 120kmph speeds on the expressways and didnt notice any noises. The NVH is brilliant compared to my Swift diesel and so is the build quality. Yea the doors do not close with a thud but has the typical Japanese feel. The package is brilliant with optimum utilization of space. I also sat in the middle and last rows to compare the ride comfort and it was par for the course. Am 5.7 and felt the seat comfort in the last row was adequate for my height. I have also sat in the last row of Innova on long journeys so can make out. The middle row is extremely comfortable.

Couple of grouses I have are the horn. You have to move your hand to honk. If it comes with ACC, then it'll be perfect.

All in all, extremely impressed with the vehicle !
NFS2024 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 17:29   #884

Any suggestions on what could be the hissing sound, mentioned previously due to? It is only heard at speeds above 70-80.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:53   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post

No I'm certainly not joking. This is happening. If you happen to be in Bangalore you are most welcome to come and check my vehicle. Also the dash started rattling badly. I hear a loose part plastic rattle noise from centre of the dash ( or cluster trim) . Will have to visit the service center to check that this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks