Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 18:52   #886
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
No I'm certainly not joking. This is happening. If you happen to be in Bangalore you are most welcome to come and check my vehicle. Also the dash started rattling badly. I hear a loose part plastic rattle noise from centre of the dash ( or cluster trim) . Will have to visit the service center to check that this weekend.
Dude,I am from Kolkata.
How many kms have your Ertiga travelled? See both the hissing sound and the rattle are obviously unnatural.So visit your @ss and get it sorted out, once and for all.
I own a Ertiga ZDi myself and haven't ever heard the hissing sound or the 'air through some glass' sound myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaja45 View Post
Any suggestions on what could be the hissing sound, mentioned previously due to? It is only heard at speeds above 70-80.
IMO, it may be some air passing through the front grill/ air flowing over the aerodynamic shape etc, but these explanations are also far-fetched. As cars are made in a way that the air would either flow through the front grill or the air dam etc and also they are wind-tunnel tested usually. Since I myself have never heard this particular hissing sound above 70-80 kmph, it is difficult for me to locate the source of the sound. I have driven at 120 kmph for short bursts and routinely drive at 100 kmph, but have not heard any sound at all.

You guys are sure that it is not coming from the tyres ? Tyres are known for their peculiar sounds, and especially more at more speeds. Check the wheel alignment. Also check if anything is stuck in the front tyres like small stone pieces between the grooves.Check the brake linings,calipers etc .
It maybe also because of the fairly large ORVMs cutting through the air at speeds.

If the sound is not much/tolerable then don't get bothered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I think I agree with this assessment. The reason I say this, am just coming back from a test drive of the Ertiga ZDi and I did about 40 kms driving, both on pot holed roads and on the elevated expressway from Electronics city (people in Bangalore would know this).
...deliberately made sure to switch off the music as well the AC to hear any funny noises etc., but found none. I also drove at 120kmph speeds on the expressways and didnt notice any noises. The NVH is brilliant compared to my Swift diesel and so is the build quality. ....
Thanks NFS
NVH is brilliant especially at speeds and engine is super-performer and thus highly acclaimed.

Those who are having persistent sounds from different parts, which they suspect are unnatural, please consult your @ss and get it sorted out ASAP.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 31st January 2013 at 18:55.
ultimatechamp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 23:14   #887
Senior - BHPian

Noticed an interesting feature in the OEM audio on the ZDi. When I press "mute" on the steering control, it mutes the sound if some FM radio station is playing which is pretty obvious. When I press "mute" while a CD or USB track is being played, it actually pauses the track so that you don't miss your favourite song when you "un-mute" it. I always thought it just muted the sound and the track continued playing but that's not the case. I thought that was cool!
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 23:20   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Noticed an interesting feature in the OEM audio on the ZDi. When I press "mute" on the steering control, it mutes the sound if some FM radio station is playing which is pretty obvious. When I press "mute" while a CD or USB track is being played, it actually pauses the track so that you don't miss your favourite song when you "un-mute" it. I always thought it just muted the sound and the track continued playing but that's not the case. I thought that was cool!
That for me seems like an design flaw. The "Mute" function is expected to just mute and not Pause. Otherwise what's the use of "Pause"
Old 31st January 2013, 23:28   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
This feature is available in the previous gen Dzire ZDI as well.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 00:01   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
That for me seems like an design flaw. The "Mute" function is expected to just mute and not Pause. Otherwise what's the use of "Pause"
I say it's a good function for a CD as you can listen to the song from where you left it. If I am getting a call while listening to my fav song, I don't want the song to be running & ending while I am still on the call.

You can't have too many buttons on the steering wheel right?!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 08:21   #891
Senior - BHPian

I like mute button pausing a track. It is the same on the Swift Z variants as well.

One another feature. Lets say you were listening to a song from the thumb drive. And you switched the player off in the middle of the song and pulled out the thumb drive to copy more songs etc. Next time, when you push the thumb drive back in, it plays the same song from exactly where you stopped it.

By the way, I don't know what happens if you delete the song from the drive before putting back in. Never tested it.

But I really don't like the radio reception on the Swift. The antenna is meek and goes out of range too soon. How is it on the Ertiga?

Last edited by deetjohn : 1st February 2013 at 08:21. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 09:26   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of a VDi Ertiga last week; completed 500 km since. When the speed reaches 70-80 kmph, there seems to be some 'hissing' sound somewhere from the front and it increases further with increase in speed. It doesn't seem like the turbo switching on. Anybody experienced any similar sounds? Tyres have been upgraded to 205/60 R15 on OE alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
yes this happens in my vehicle as well. This is primarily due to air leak from front quarter window glass.
The same problem exists in my vehicle(Nov 2012 Make) also. It's not a really annoying thing, it will not disturb you if you have music switched on. One of my friends Ertiga (ZDI, Aug 2012 Make) also have the same hissing sound.
But the VDI (Mar/Apr 2012 Make) of fellow Bhpian rahulrajeev does not have this problem.
So, I hope the problem exists for some of the latest batches.
Old 1st February 2013, 10:06   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of a VDi Ertiga last week; completed 500 km since. When the speed reaches 70-80 kmph, there seems to be some 'hissing' sound somewhere from the front and it increases further with increase in speed. It doesn't seem like the turbo switching on. Anybody experienced any similar sounds? Tyres have been upgraded to 205/60 R15 on OE alloys.
Is the hissing sound present when your are cruising at speeds above 80 and there is no accelerator input?

What make are those 205/60 tyres?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 10:31   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

But I really don't like the radio reception on the Swift. The antenna is meek and goes out of range too soon. How is it on the Ertiga?
Radio reception in the Ertiga is good with no static. Interesting to know that USB feature, never noticed it.

Guys regarding the hissing sound, that's just the fuel pump at work. You can hear it because the tank is below the middle row. Nothing wrong or nothing to worry about. Just relax and enjoy your drive!

Regarding the noise at 80 and above, that's just the wind buffeting between the quarter glass and mirror. It's even more accentuated if you have rain guards fitted on your window frame. I for one enjoy these sounds, especially the whistling one because it reminds me of the turbo whistle of a Volvo B9R and I feel like driving one.

This is the classic downside of too much knowledge! Normal sounds that won't disturb a common man disturbs us because we know so much more and it makes us conscious of every tiny detail. Ignorance is bliss folks!
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 15:27   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is the hissing sound present when your are cruising at speeds above 80 and there is no accelerator input?

What make are those 205/60 tyres?

The sound is present irrespective of accelerator input, it is rather related to speed. Tyres are yokohama A drives. Alignment & balancing of wheels redone, sound persisting.
aaja45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 15:47   #896

Quote:
Similar setup is found in polo/vento and many other cars. Mute button on steering pauses USB audio.
aaja45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 17:02   #897
Senior - BHPian

For the first time ever, spotted a petrol Ertiga (Vxi) in Chennai yesterday. Wonder how the FE is for the 1.4 K-series engine ?

Also saw a (new?) colour in Ertiga yesterday - it is like the grey you have in Jazz/City and it looked really good.
Old 1st February 2013, 17:59   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Similar setup is found in polo/vento and many other cars. Mute button on steering pauses USB audio.
Hi Aaja, is it only the mute button on the steering that pauses or also the mute on HU?
I have never used a ICe setup with steering controls before.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:29   #899

Quote:
Hi Aaja, is it only the mute button on the steering that pauses or also the mute on HU?
I have never used a ICe setup with steering controls before.
In polo/vento rcd310 HU, there is no dedicated mute button on the HU, a button with mute function is present only on the steering.
Old 2nd February 2013, 00:24   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The same problem exists in my vehicle(Nov 2012 Make) also. It's not a really annoying thing, it will not disturb you if you have music switched on. One of my friends Ertiga (ZDI, Aug 2012 Make) also have the same hissing sound.
But the VDI (Mar/Apr 2012 Make) of fellow Bhpian rahulrajeev does not have this problem.
So, I hope the problem exists for some of the latest batches.
My vehicle is December 2012 make and it does not make any so called hissing sound,if driven between 70-80. I straight away went from the showroom to the tyre guy and changed my stock 185/65 R15 MRF ZVTV to 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy LC.
I still would attribute the disturbing sound you guys are noticing from either tyres or the big ORVMs cutting through wind.Just my 2 cents.

Did any owner amongst us discuss this with the service engineer at the @ss ?

I have two silly questions myself here !
1) How does one switch on the small red light at the bottom of the rear bumper and what it is for ?

2) I am filling 35 psi in all 4 tyres. Slightly bumpy when there is three of us in the car , but it is better when theres 2 adults more and a kid. For my 195/60 R15 shoes,what should be the correct tyre pressure ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks