Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 23:44   #1666
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
A Dumb Question: Does Ertiga ZDI have a rear defogger ?

I missed checking that when i went to the showroom.
Surprised that a self-professed Innova fan is looking to the Ertiga! I'm an Innova fan myself, but settled for Ertiga because of the exorbitant price of Innova and also the lack of 6th gear and yeah the old school pull-out radio antenna and the old school rear spare tyre dislodge mechanism.

Yes, the ZDi has rear defogger with auto-cut off after 15 minutes in case you forget to switch it off.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 23:52   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Surprised that a self-professed Innova fan is looking to the Ertiga! I'm an Innova fan myself, but settled for Ertiga because of the exorbitant price of Innova and also the lack of 6th gear and yeah the old school pull-out radio antenna and the old school rear spare tyre dislodge mechanism.
Yes, the ZDi has rear defogger with auto-cut off after 15 minutes in case you forget to switch it off.
I am still an innova fan .

I am compelled to buy models pirced lesser as simply as Innova is pushing the price up up and away. Honestly, with Inflation and interest rates shooting high, It is very difficult to pay EMIs with the miniscule salary hikes at work. If i buy an Ertiga ZDI for 11 lacs OTR anywhere in india with accessories, I still have 7 lacs to spend on service and repairs compared to an Innova Z edition. I would spend 2 lacs at the max over 7 years in repairs and maintenance of the Ertiga.

I am also considering the Scorpio Facelift/All new Scorpio.

The Latest trend seems to be to price a product higher than the competition. Santa Fe started the trend with prices starting above Fortuner.
Innova has now pushed prices into the 15 lac territory and the All new Innova will start probably at 18-22 lacs ex showroom. Automatically, the Fortuner Facelift will start @ 28 lacs ex showroom to compete with Santa Fe.

With the next facelift, Ertiga will price itself closer to Mobilio assuming Mobilio prices itself 1-2 lac more than Ertiga.

Until last year, models used to be launced in minor differences of the pricing of competiting products/Segment leader. Nowadays, company launches a product and everyone wants to open a new segment price wise but offer options one segment below
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:30   #1668
BANNED

Quote:
Not only cost but might be they need some features to show in their facelift and to increse price. They can add climate control + Some stickers + Ertiga badging on seats to ZDI and increase prices by 1.5 lacs.
Lesser beige would be preferable on the facelift version of the Ertiga.

Quote:
Surprised that a self-professed Innova fan is looking to the Ertiga! I'm an Innova fan myself, but settled for Ertiga because of the exorbitant price of Innova
I LOVE the Innova from the day it was launched and waiting for the day where I can afford to get myself one. That car is one of the best produced in our market but only for its pricing. Don't know what Toyota was thinking and what they are still thinking when it comes to pricing.

Quote:
also the lack of 6th gear and yeah the old school pull-out radio antenna and the old school rear spare tyre dislodge mechanism.
Ertiga too doesn't have a 6th gear,

Ertiga does have a that old-school spare tyre removal mechanism. Only thing better in the Ertiga or if the ones you mentioned here is the Antenna. Though I prefer a short one like on the current Swift.

Quote:
I am still an innova fan .

If i buy an Ertiga ZDI for 11 lacs OTR anywhere in india with accessories, I still have 7 lacs to spend on service and repairs compared to an Innova Z edition
+1000.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 09:58   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I LOVE the Innova from the day it was launched and waiting for the day where I can afford to get myself one. That car is one of the best produced in our market but only for its pricing. Don't know what Toyota was thinking and what they are still thinking when it comes to pricing.
Yeah, they've made sure if the pricing doesn't put you off, the new facelift will.

Quote:
Yes, but the Ertiga's 5th gear is tall and suitable for long distance cruising. If Ertiga had a 6th cog, I'm not too sure if the engine can generate enough power on a narrow power band. Whereas the Innova's 5th is short and at 3 digit speeds the engine literally begs for a 6th cog. Great engine but definitely requires a 6 speeder.

Quote:
Ertiga does have a that old-school spare tyre removal mechanism.
Unlike the Ertiga or the XUV500, unwinding the spare wheel in the Innova is not as straight forward. In the Ertiga, all you need is to loosen the nut inside the boot and the wheel lowers itself. In the Innova there's no such provision. You need some gymnastic abilities to get under the bumper and then loose the chain and release the wheel. Just imagine doing this on a warm summer afternoon on a deserted highway on your way to attend an important meeting in a 3 piece Armani suit; you'll get what I mean.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 14:26   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lesser beige would be preferable on the facelift version of the Ertiga.

Ertiga does have a that old-school spare tyre removal mechanism. Only thing better in the Ertiga or if the ones you mentioned here is the Antenna. Though I prefer a short one like on the current Swift.
Yes - you echoed my thoughts. I was planning to buy an Innova too but prices keep going through the roof. I am compelled to look at other more reasonable options. I am okay with company milking money but in the case of Innova Toyota is milking too much. This is Akin to the fact that I am okay to have 20 gms of adulteration in 1kg of rice, but in Innova's case, there is 400 gms of adulteration in 1kg of rice.

Yes - I Too prefer lesser beige. I have a carpet extractor and a wet and dry vacuum is on its way. I still say that maintaining Beige is a pain in the neck. I would prefer Black+Beige or pure black anyday, just for the maintenance aspect.

Anurag / Ertiga Owners - Is it a big deal to retrofit the swift's antenna into the Ertiga ? Cant it be done at the dealership?

Quote:
Yeah, they've made sure if the pricing doesn't put you off, the new facelift will.

Yes, but the Ertiga's 5th gear is tall and suitable for long distance cruising. If Ertiga had a 6th cog, I'm not too sure if the engine can generate enough power on a narrow power band. Whereas the Innova's 5th is short and at 3 digit speeds the engine literally begs for a 6th cog. Great engine but definitely requires a 6 speeder.

Unlike the Ertiga or the XUV500, unwinding the spare wheel in the Innova is not as straight forward. In the Ertiga, all you need is to loosen the nut inside the boot and the wheel lowers itself. In the Innova there's no such provision. You need some gymnastic abilities to get under the bumper and then loose the chain and release the wheel. Just imagine doing this on a warm summer afternoon on a deserted highway on your way to attend an important meeting in a 3 piece Armani suit; you'll get what I mean.
Yes- Innova needs a 6th gear for sure. I think toyota would/should do that in the all new Innova. These minor facelifts are just a method to fool people to cover the price increase they did. The Innova Z which offer leather+rexine, spoilers, some mats and stickering, does NOT justify a 3 lag premium over the V. I think it is just to create a mindset to people to portray innova as a 15 lac vehicle.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 14:55   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anurag / Ertiga Owners - Is it a big deal to retrofit the swift's antenna into the Ertiga ? Cant it be done at the dealership?
From what I know, Swift's OE Antenna is at the rear while the Ertiga's is at the front and both centrally located on the roof.

The challenge would be to get rid of the Original Antenna holder that exists in the front on top of the roof and cover up that area which should go unnoticed.

Secondly, to fit the Swift's Antenna at the rear you will have to drill a hole(ouch, that pains!!) for the Antenna's fitment and to route the cable inside the cabin.

Once this is done, the cable needs to be routed carefully from above the roof lining and then all the way till the front A/B Pillar and finally at the back of the OE Music System.

I for one would hate to do this - Drilling and routing wire above the roof lining.

Of course, if you are intending to keep the antenna only as a show piece, then the Radio reception could be worst in the absence of the antenna.

Any other options of simply fixing the antenna with adhesive and avoiding drilling a hole would still expose thick antenna wire over the roof as well.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th April 2014 at 14:57.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:06   #1672
BANNED

Quote:
Toyota is milking too much. This is Akin to the fact that I am okay to have 20 gms of adulteration in 1kg of rice, but in Innova's case, there is 400 gms of adulteration in 1kg of rice.
We all love milk and wet all love to get milked so Toyota is just doing its job.

Even after prices have crossed neck and head, people are still buying the Innova and AFAIK the sales are NOT going down so that Toyota can understand and realise their mistake. Sales are standard and are being maintained so why should Toyota get worried and reduce prices!!

March sales figures should give us an idea but yes it will be low due to the lockout at Bidadi plant in KA.

Quote:
Could be possible. Shall my service guys and revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From what I know, Swift's OE Antenna is at the rear while the Ertiga's is at the front and both centrally located on the roof. Secondly, to fit the Swift's Antenna at the rear you will have to drill a hole
Why not add Swift antenna in place of Ertiga i.e. In front where the antenna is originally placed?

I know it would look bad but will solve the problem and save us and the car from cutting and drilling stuff.

Will have to look clearly at the base of both the antenna's to understand the complexity, if any!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:13   #1673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why not add Swift antenna in place of Ertiga i.e. In front where the antenna is originally placed?

I know it would look bad but will solve the problem and save us and the car from cutting and drilling stuff.

Will have to look clearly at the base of both the antenna's to understand the complexity, if any!

Anurag.
Exactly! But from what I understand from scorpiobharat, I guess when he said he likes the Swift Antenna, apart from the shape and size he probably also meant the placement as well?

Secondly, you are right on checking the base. As long as the thread on both the bases are same, you can simply remove the Ertiga's Antenna and turn and fit the Swift's in less than 30 seconds.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:18   #1674
BANNED

Quote:
apart from the shape and size he probably also meant the placement as well?

Secondly, you are right on checking the base. As long as the thread on both the bases are same, you can simply remove the Ertiga's Antenna and turn and fit the Swift's in less than 30 seconds.
I guess the base is same and only that antenna needs to be changed. That's all.

Quote:
Both the bases have a screw like cavity where the antenna just screws-in (You can check my Ertiga review where a close-up has been added). Wish dad was at home for me to check it right away.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th April 2014 at 16:21.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:03   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Our Ertiga diesel has done close to 30k. We took it for a 600 kms NH drive last week and FE figure showed just 13.5kmpl. This car with same load, same road and same driving style returned 18+ during previous trips.

What could be wrong?
Old 10th April 2014, 20:22   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Our Ertiga diesel has done close to 30k. We took it for a 600 kms NH drive last week and FE figure showed just 13.5kmpl. This car with same load, same road and same driving style returned 18+ during previous trips.

What could be wrong?
Do you sense anything different in terms of power delivery or Turbo Surge?
I would first doubt bad/adulterated diesel before anything else.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:57   #1677
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Once returned home I checked for the antenna between both the Swift and Ertiga but to my sadness both are different totally.

In the Swift, the screw in which the antenna sits is bolted on the base so the stick (antenna) has a cavity for the screw to screw-in whereas in the Ertiga it is opposite - the base has the cavity and the stick (antenna) has the screw.

Hope it is clear.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 00:05   #1678
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

What could be wrong?
1) Was the oil and oil filter changed during the last service?

2) Is it that you fill up diesel from the same bunk all the time or did you fill it somewhere on the highway? Was fuel filter changed?

3) What about tyre pressures that were maintained?

4) Was the filter changed during the last service? Do you clean it by yourself as the interval for changing is 20K kms IIRC.

Anurag.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:07   #1679
BHPian

To Parag, Anurag and other Ertiga owners.

I got the rear A/C vent noise rectified at MSM last week. The only other rattling problem is from the rear seats. Not sure if it's from the second or third row. The service folks are saying that this is a perineal problem in all Ertiga's where the rear seats would slightly rattle when they remain unoccupied. Also in my case they said they have tightened the seats to the maximum extent possible using Allen key. My concern is, I have covered the OE carpet with vinyl floor mat, would this be the issue? The sound is something similar to a vibration.
Old 11th April 2014, 08:05   #1680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
To Parag, Anurag and other Ertiga owners.

I got the rear A/C vent noise rectified at MSM last week. The only other rattling problem is from the rear seats. Not sure if it's from the second or third row. The service folks are saying that this is a perineal problem in all Ertiga's where the rear seats would slightly rattle when they remain unoccupied. Also in my case they said they have tightened the seats to the maximum extent possible using Allen key. My concern is, I have covered the OE carpet with vinyl floor mat, would this be the issue? The sound is something similar to a vibration.
Good news, BTW, what was the problem and how was it solved?

In my Ertiga, no rattles and vibrations are heard as yet. The car is nearing 5K kms and out of the all the seats, 98% of the time the front seats only are used. Second row is hardly used and the third row in-existent (folded flat permanently).

Can you check for vibrations from seat belts mounting points it it could be hitting the plastic body panels. Floor mats vibrating to emanate such sounds, I think is not possible.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th April 2014 at 08:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks