Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:22   #1771
BANNED

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Yes Anurag. It's the Cabin Air filter.

No, Cabin filter isn't part of the standard fitment. It's an add-on.
Didn't check the Ertiga but in the Swift the cabin air filter was there from PDI time, hence was curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure but I think using the OBD Reader, one can change this setting using the software and accessing blinker settings and I have heard it from few folks who have got it done.
Will check with MASS and get it done on my Swift too.

Anurag.
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:26   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I rode about 150 km on the highway as a passenger in the front in a diesel Ertiga. There were lots of diversions and stop-and-go situations along with steady cruising. I felt it was underpowered (it had about 18k kms on the odo). I asked the driver how he felt about the power and he said it was underpowered.

This would be a better vehicle if it had the 1.6L MJD, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I disagree on the part that the Ertiga is underpowered. Initially I thought the same as the specifications on paper makes the car look underpowered but it isn't. Also the thought that a 1.3L engine for a Innova size is miniscule but the VGT in that engine had done the trick. Try keeping it between 90-110 kmph and it travels like that for hours together, low turbo lag and decently silent when compared with competition.
18,000 on the ODO now and a daily commuter car for me to work and back through the city spanning 34 kms one way.

Apart from this, a lot many weekend trips to various destinations including a big one spanning 4000 kms with 4 Adults, 1 Kid and fully loaded boot with 3rd row folded - Underpowered? I would say, adequately powered it is as it manages all those highway maneuvers with those 90 horses and the 1.3 L mill from FIAT.

All this, not on just typical 4 lane roads but roads with loads of speed breakers where you again start the pace from 1st gear or even ghat climbs (Chorla).

Like Anurag mentions, the beauty is between 100-110kmph where the power on tap is wonderful for those overtaking attempts.

Again - What I always say is you cannot do a 0-100 in a people mover to call it a rocket or a train. I never did and would never want anyone to keep that as a primary attribute too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd June 2014 at 19:29.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:31   #1773
BANNED

Quote:
Like Anurag mentions, the beauty is between 100-110 kmph where the power on tap is wonderful for those overtaking attempts.

Hold the accelerator at 110 kmph on full load (I mean passengers and luggage), press the pedal and the car still accelerates without a hitch.

At that zone the turbo is at its peak and no looking back.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 20:12   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Like Anurag mentions, the beauty is between 100-110kmph where the power on tap is wonderful for those overtaking attempts.
Parag, I didn't drive the car, so my comments should be viewed in light of that. I appreciate the insight from people who own this car and use it on a daily basis; certainly their opinions matter more than mine.

It was quite obvious that once the car neared triple digits, it flew. My concern was more with reaching that figure on the speedo. We were 5 in the car including the driver, no luggage. While I don't expect sports car performance from a people mover, I suspect a bit more power would make this car a fantastic proposition.
TheTeacher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:05   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
It was quite obvious that once the car neared triple digits, it flew. My concern was more with reaching that figure on the speedo. We were 5 in the car including the driver, no luggage. While I don't expect sports car performance from a people mover, I suspect a bit more power would make this car a fantastic proposition.
Just to add what Parag and Anurag told, I own an Ertiga which has done 55K. I have driven it around almost all kind of roads and never felt it underpowered. It never pulls like a hatch which has the same motor (Swift, Ritz etc.), the acceleration is almost linear and you will start loving this once you drive around sometime. From my experience, the initial acceleration(0-60) is better then Innova/Xylo if you know how to use the turbo effectively.
denver85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:19   #1776
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post

It never pulls like a hatch which has the same motor (Swift, Ritz etc.), the acceleration is almost linear and you will start loving this once you drive around sometime.
Not fair to compare the Ertiga a 7/8 seater people mover with a 4/5 hatchback. Since weight scales ate higher for the Ertiga versus the Swift/Ritz the acceleration will be faster due to better power-to-weight ratio but people will debate that the Ertiga had a 90PS VGT whereas the hatch has a 75PS FGT but the weight will counteract here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
From my experience, the initial acceleration(0-60) is better then Innova/Xylo if you know how to use the turbo effectively.
+1.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:06   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Got this done at MSM Chennai. Not sure about the process. Time taken 10 mins and they charged Rs 110/-
Any idea what other tricks can be activated like this?
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:26   #1778
Senior - BHPian

After having driven the Ertiga extensively and exclusively for the last 50,000+ kms, I can say this vehicle definitely needs a bigger engine. Let's face it gentlemen, the turbo on this engine does more than mere boost; what I mean is, this engine is literally dead outside the turbo range. That's not a successful engine-turbo combination in my opinion. I remember driving in the hills of Tamil Nad and Kerala and with a full load, it's impossible to change gears without harnessing the "rev-hang" feature. I know this feature is useful in inclines but the downside is, it allows your clutch to slip a bit every time and that tells on the life of your clutch. Did I mention all this drama happens with the AC turned off? Just to let you know, it's a dead horse with the aircon on, on inclines. That said, I'm still on my original clutch plates but I whine every time I have to use this "rev-hang" feature.

I absolutely love this MPV, I do. But the choice of engine for a vehicle this size is sheer madness on MSIL's part. The engine is rock solid and delightfully reliable but when it comes to power, it's a total mismatch.

This post might sound harsh and critical to the beloved owners of this wonderful MPV. I know because I'm not happy to read my own post! I'm with you guys on the love part and that's why it pains me to write this post after long contemplation. But I had to get it out so that we can appreciate the vehicle for what it is and stop waxing eloquent on what it isn't.
swiftdiesel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:56   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
After having driven the Ertiga extensively and exclusively for the last 50,000+ kms, I can say this vehicle definitely needs a bigger engine. Let's face it gentlemen, the turbo on this engine does more than mere boost; what I mean is, this engine is literally dead outside the turbo range. That's not a successful engine-turbo combination in my opinion. I remember driving in the hills of Tamil Nad and Kerala and with a full load, it's impossible to change gears without harnessing the "rev-hang" feature. ...
Hi @swiftdiesel, I am quite surprised to read this. I remember some of your posts from the early days of ownership and it seems that you were quite happy with its performance on hill roads. If I may refer to one, here is the post you made exactly two years ago about a drive to Ooty in your Ertiga.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2796500

Please don't think that I am being critical. I am just wondering whether the engine performance degrades after some point.
mohan41 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:09   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi @swiftdiesel, I am quite surprised to read this. I remember some of your posts from the early days of ownership and it seems that you were quite happy with its performance on hill roads. If I may refer to one, here is the post you made exactly two years ago about a drive to Ooty in your Ertiga.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2796500

Please don't think that I am being critical. I am just wondering whether the engine performance degrades after some point.
You're absolutely right! I was all praises for the Ertiga. In fact, I'm still OK with the way the engine delivers power albeit in a narrow band. It's just that, let's say, the "honeymoon" phase is over! The shortcomings of the car are more glaring now and psychologically that makes a "compelling case" to replace it with something more powerful.

No, seriously, the engine is technically sound and it's as good as new. But the power deficit is something that really needs to be sorted by MSIL. For example, in all my hill drives, it was more to do with my skill rather than the engine's power, in tackling tricky inclines. Because of this, I tend to stress out more in my uphill drives compared to drivers of other cars with large torquey engines. The longer I live with it, the more obvious is the power deficit. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong on the reliability front - absolutely nil breakdowns.

A perfect example for an engine with oodles of torque and power in India is the 3.0 D-4D in the Fortuner. I think this engine sets the benchmark for the rest in terms of grunt and brute power.
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:30   #1781
BANNED

Quote:
I can say this vehicle definitely needs a bigger engine. Let's face it gentlemen, the turbo on this engine does more than mere boost; what I mean is, this engine is literally dead outside the turbo range. That's not a successful engine-turbo combination in my opinion. I remember driving in the hills of Tamil Nad and Kerala and with a full load, it's impossible to change gears without harnessing the "rev-hang" feature.
Hello buddy, below is the post that was posted by in this same thread

Quote:
Agreed there is a slight turbo lag below 1700 RPM but having said that the Ertiga tackled the hair pin bends with aplomb. Due to the summer rush there was B2B traffic all through the ghat section. We were 4 people with a HUGE load of boxes and other misc items. Every time I had to move off on the steepest incline the engine showed no signs of any struggle.
I guess you are bored of the car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Now that is nice find Mohan, coming to your question of engine performance decreasing, NOT AT ALL! I will say this for people who know the importance of maintenance of the vehicle (including engine) as it should be and not just a piece of metal to transport humans from 'Point A' to 'Point B'.

I have owned a Ritz VDi for 3 years with 1 lakh kms on it. None of the internals of engine were touched. Maintenance was only regular servicing and proud to say that engine rocks.

Quote:
You're absolutely right! I was all praises for the Ertiga. In fact, I'm still OK with the way the engine delivers power albeit in a narrow band. It's just that, let's say, the "honeymoon" phase is over!
LOL, that is more to do with your psychological feeling than the engine loosing its grunt etc. As you rightly said the 'honeymoon' period is coming to an end, hence you are getting the feeling of replacing the Ertiga with something 'powerful'. No harm in it, we are all humans after all.

Quote:
The shortcomings of the car are more glaring now and psychologically that makes a "compelling case" to replace it with something more powerful.
Can we know the shortcomings that you are facing with the Car as such? It'll help other members and new buyers since this forum is read by a majority of users worldwide.

Quote:
A perfect example for an engine with oodles of torque and power in India is the 3.0 D-4D in the Fortuner. I think this engine sets the benchmark for the rest in terms of grunt and brute power.
Have you looked at the size of the Fortuner? For that size the 3.0L D-4D is correct and for the Ertiga the 1.3L VGT is correct until the competition moves the yardstick further. When the Ertiga was launched this very engine was all praises since it does duty in the Manza + SX4 + Linea.

Plonking a 3L engine in the Ertiga is going to make it a People mover rocket and imagine the price at which Maruti will sell it.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd June 2014 at 19:53.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:45   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are bored of the car now.
Yes, I suppose!

Quote:
Now that is nice find Mohan, coming to your question of engine performance decreasing, NOT AT ALL! I will say this for people who know the importance of maintenance of the vehicle (including engine) as it should be and not just a piece of metal to transport humans from 'Point A' to 'Point B'.
Spot on!

Quote:
I have owned a Ritz VDi for 3 years with 1 lakh kms on it. None of the internals of engine were touched. Maintenance was only regular servicing and proud to say that engine rocks.

Quote:
Can we know the shortcomings that you are facing with the Car as such? It'll help other members and new buyers since this forum is read by a majority of users worldwide.
Definitely the number one is a powerful engine and a 6 speed gearbox.

More longer chassis for a comfortable 3rd row (wish: split seats) and boot space.

At least a colour screen DVD ICE as standard

Auto-fold mirrors, a must! Envy my cousin's Micra.

Quote:
Have you looked at the size of the Fortuner? For that size the 3.0L D-4D is correct and for the Ertiga the 1.3L VGT is correct until the competition moves the yardstick further. When the Ertiga was launched this very engine was all praises since it does duty in the Manza + SX4 + Linea.

Plonking a 3L engine in the Ertiga is going to make it a People mover rocket and imagine the price at which Maruti will sell it.
No, I didn't mean plonking the 3 litre in the Ertiga. I meant the 3 litre in the Fortuner is a good example for power and torque in the Fortuner. An engine with similar power characteristics in the Ertiga would be a winner.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 21:44   #1783
BANNED

Quote:
Definitely the number one is a powerful engine and a 6 speed gearbox.
Quote:
No, I didn't mean plonking the 3 litre in the Ertiga. I meant the 3 litre in the Fortuner is a good example for power and torque in the Fortuner. An engine with similar power characteristics in the Ertiga would be a winner.
Remember, "To gain something you have to loose something?!"

To gain power you'll have to sacrifice FE. Maruti Suzuki advertises itself as afuel efficient manufacturer and has been branded to produce fuel efficient cars so a powerful engine coming in the future is bleak.

Quote:
More longer chassis for a comfortable 3rd row (wish: split seats) and boot space.
Not anything longer than it is currently. City driving and parking is a pain already so anything longer can be termed as a mini-bus.

Quote:
At least a colour screen DVD ICE as standard
Hmm, I like the current dashboard look. so I'll give this a miss.

Quote:
Auto-fold mirrors, a must! Envy my cousin's Micra.
Agreed!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd June 2014 at 21:53.
Old 5th June 2014, 18:27   #1784
BHPian

Guys , quick question , I am planning to upgrade the tyres on my ertiga . The car has clockes 21000 kms in 1.5 yrs and the OEM good year duraplus are pain in the ear . So noisy and almost zero grip . With monsoons approaching , there would be a lot of driving and travelling to places , so am upgrading to MRF ZLO , not changing the tyre . I wanted to know if the steel RIM is capable of holding a 205/50/ r15 tyre . Will I have to upgrade to alloys if I want to upgrade to that profile ?
Old 5th June 2014, 18:36   #1785
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Guys , quick question , I am planning to upgrade the tyres on my ertiga . The car has clockes 21000 kms in 1.5 yrs and the OEM good year duraplus are pain in the ear . So noisy and almost zero grip . With monsoons approaching , there would be a lot of driving and travelling to places , so am upgrading to MRF ZLO , not changing the tyre . I wanted to know if the steel RIM is capable of holding a 205/50/ r15 tyre . Will I have to upgrade to alloys if I want to upgrade to that profile ?
Upgrade to Michelin XM2, a better tyre in all aspects. If your OK with the stock size then fine else upsize to 205/50 R15.

Is your 'V' variant or 'Z' variant? Is your Petrol or Diesel powered?

Stock rims can take this tyre (205 one I mean).

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th June 2014 at 18:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks