Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 19:01   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Guys , quick question , I am planning to upgrade the tyres on my ertiga . The car has clockes 21000 kms in 1.5 yrs and the OEM good year duraplus are pain in the ear . So noisy and almost zero grip . With monsoons approaching , there would be a lot of driving and travelling to places , so am upgrading to MRF ZLO , not changing the tyre . I wanted to know if the steel RIM is capable of holding a 205/50/ r15 tyre . Will I have to upgrade to alloys if I want to upgrade to that profile ?
Gautam, I recently upgraded to Michelin XM2 205/60R15 Profile for similar reasons at around 17,000 Kms. The Ertiga for sure needs better tires.

However, the problem would be with the OEM Rim (or even Alloy) which comes in 5.5J Size.

Though Tire manufacturers mention 5.5J as the minimal size for the Rim to fit the 205 Profile, there is a little amount of Balloon effect when mounted on these rims. Again, with 5.5J Rim even your effective width of the tire will reduce as compared to the same tire mounted on say 6.5J profile.

I would say 195/60/15 is a more sensible choice if you are retaining the OE Rims. Anything beyond this will surely need 6.5J or above.

Another issue that you may face with 6.5J is that it may protrude a bit and possibly rub the wheel arches if the car is fully loaded and when you pass undulations over the road at good speeds.

Here are a few pictures of the same tires on OE RIMs:
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tire1.jpg
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tire2.jpg

The after effects - None I would say. Steering feels a bit tight but easy to drive around as I experienced clocking 1500 already within the city.

Road noise and Grips are definitely on the positive side.
Old 5th June 2014, 19:56   #1787

Hi all,
I have bought a Ertiga VXI CNG at the fag end of Feb 2014. Current odo reading shows 4700 kms.
Cng fe: city traffic conditions - 18-20, highway - upto 25. This is with ac.
Last month, on the Mum-Pune expressway towards Mahabaleshwar, got 25 fe on cng n for the rest of the trip on petrol, got approx. 16 kmpl.
Very happy with the car and it's performance.
Will be publishing the ownership report separately in some time, however, currently have the following incident to report.
The car's battery (Amaron) conked off one fine day, around 1 week post the first service. I was stranded in the night in the middle of nowhere. Had to take help from some people and "push-start" the vehicle. There were no visible indicators regarding battery issues prior to this incident.
Upon taking it to the MASS the next day, after thorough investigation, it was found that there was leakage in the battery. They replaced it under warranty and now it is working fine. Upon checking with the SA regarding my battery complaint after some days, he said that Amaron has refused to accept the defect under warranty as they were saying it was a physical defect.
Unfortunately, I did not check the battery physically at that time, hence, do not have any details on the same. Also, I did not follow up regarding the complaint.
Just want to check whether anyone else has faced such a problem.
I feel there could be 3 causes:
1. Genuine defect in battery but the company is disputing.
2. Physical damage during installation or 1st service.
3. Battery was replaced during service with a faulty one.

I want to bet my money on the 2nd point. What do you guys say?
deepak2579 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 20:39   #1788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Gautam, I recently upgraded to Michelin XM2 205/60R15 Profile for similar reasons at around 17,000 Kms. The Ertiga for sure needs better tires.

However, the problem would be with the OEM Rim (or even Alloy) which comes in 5.5J Size.
Hey, isnt the tyres too close to the arches? Was the overall diameter increased? Guess the bottom of the wheel arch is already scraping in humps since it looks like having an inward curve.
Old 5th June 2014, 21:19   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hey, isnt the tyres too close to the arches? Was the overall diameter increased? Guess the bottom of the wheel arch is already scraping in humps since it looks like having an inward curve.
Absolutely no difference whatsoever buddy!
And no, its not too close to the wheel arches as it is mounted on the OEM alloy.

That said, I have tested this with turns at full lock to see if the tires are touching the inside walls in the front but negative.

Also, you may want to check the below screenshot on the actual difference between the two - specifically:
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-sidewall.jpg

As you can see, the difference in speedometer reading is minimal - I tested the same using my MMI and it displayed me readings almost similar to stock tires at various speeds.

Coming to the Ground clearance - Remember that the stock was 185/65 and this is 205/60. So a very proportionate upgrade such that the sidewall height is also not compromised.

As you can see from the screenshot above, the sidewall merely increases by minuscule 0.11 Inches (2.79mm) and hence a gain the Ground Clearance.

Apart from this, I have already driven this with 5 passengers and taken on a jolly drive on nearby highways to home and found this perfectly fine.

Wheel scrapping is something that was important for me considering that my car takes on highways with full load, usually. Hence I didn't even consider aftermarket alloys.

Here is the another pic of my car with Stock spec tires - 185/65/15:
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tires.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th June 2014 at 21:22.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 01:04   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Upgrade to Michelin XM2, a better tyre in all aspects. If your OK with the stock size then fine else upsize to 205/50 R15.

Is your 'V' variant or 'Z' variant? Is your Petrol or Diesel powered?

Stock rims can take this tyre (205 one I mean).

Anurag.
I have a ZDI , when i bought mine I had the choice of buying it with or without alloys . SO I bought it without alloys .

The only reason for choosing ZLO is the VFM aspect , very fairly priced , last I checked it was about 5500 per tyre . The xm2 would surely be expensive and is also softer . I realy dont want to experiment with a softer tyre right now .
Old 6th June 2014, 07:57   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a ZDI , when i bought mine I had the choice of buying it with or without alloys . SO I bought it without alloys .

The only reason for choosing ZLO is the VFM aspect , very fairly priced , last I checked it was about 5500 per tyre . The xm2 would surely be expensive and is also softer . I realy dont want to experiment with a softer tyre right now .
XM2 with 205 60 cost me 7500 per tire here.
I picked these knowing how I have seen it perform for over 45k kms in my WagonR and my friends Palio.
There was no doubt that this was way better than its predecessor XM1+ on which I got sidewall bulges within first 2 months of buying.
XM2 on the other hand has zero issues or bulges reported even today both on WagonR and Palio despite of driving on real bad roads on many occasions.
On Rims, the stock steel rim and alloy are of same size:5.5J.
Old 8th June 2014, 23:31   #1792
BHPian

I have a question for Granite Grey color Ertiga owners.

I have booked an Ertiga ZDI - Granite Grey last week. My current vehicles are silver color and very easy to maintain. I love the grey color but worry about the maintenance aspect. I am kind of tempted to switch to Silver again but heart wants a different color this time . Is it very difficult to maintain a granite grey?
Old 9th June 2014, 08:05   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajanjohn View Post
I have a question for Granite Grey color Ertiga owners.

I have booked an Ertiga ZDI - Granite Grey last week. My current vehicles are silver color and very easy to maintain. I love the grey color but worry about the maintenance aspect. I am kind of tempted to switch to Silver again but heart wants a different color this time . Is it very difficult to maintain a granite grey?
Yes it is.

Disclaimer- I own a black Safari.

The problem is dust which is not visible to the naked eye in silver is visible in darker colours. 10 minutes after wiping your vehicle, you can see specks of dust on it when parked outside. You have to wipe it with a wet cloth everyday to maintain its clean looks. Silver is very forgiving

End of the day it depends if you are more of a 'Heart' person or 'Head' person. My personal preference for Ertiga would be Red
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 10:45   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak2579 View Post
...he said that Amaron has refused to accept the defect under warranty as they were saying it was a physical defect.
What is physical defect? Battery is NOT a part which needs to be touched at all in the first place. I guess you need to fight it out.

Quote:
...The xm2 would surely be expensive and is also softer . I realy dont want to experiment with a softer tyre right now .
Even ZLO is a soft compound tyre. And that's why it's quite silent too.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:19   #1795
BHPian

I have a Granite Grey ZXI. It is more difficult to maintain since I don't have a covered parking. But my Ertiga is spic and span most of the times.

Thanks to 5 mins of cleaning using a Jopasu duster .

Rgds
Suhas
Blr_RK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:28   #1796

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What is physical defect? Battery is NOT a part which needs to be touched at all in the first place. I guess you need to fight it out.
I did not have to pay anything for the replacement battery. This detail was informed to me in a casual discussion with the Service Advisor. He said that there was a leak in the battery and as per Amaron, this was caused due to a physical defect (damage due to shock/mishandling, etc.). The SA said that the cost would now have to be borne by Maruti. This was something new and weird for me, hence, thought of discussing it here to check if any one else has come across such a situation.
deepak2579 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 12:44   #1797
BHPian

MY recommendation based on experience ( 33K kms) is to go for 195/65 R15 on stock rim. This will give a slight increase in wall height also, improving the ride slightly better.

Quote:
Guys , quick question ,. I wanted to know if the steel RIM is capable of holding a 205/50/ r15 tyre . ?
Old 10th June 2014, 07:27   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Ertiga looks like the perfect choice when you have aged parents at home. The rear seat is a bit higher than that other seats in the car because of the fuel tank being placed under it, this is an advantage for old People since they can step out of the car and not get up and step out.

Another huge advantage is the huge back-door, it makes ingress and egress to the middle row very easy, you do not have to turn sideways and move in, you can move in chest-on, its that wide, not to mention the humungous leg room that you get by sliding the middle row all the way back

In-fact, I have seen many Owners who have discarded the last last row of seats and use the car as a 5 seater station wagon

Awesome concept from Maruti.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:29   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
MY recommendation based on experience ( 33K kms) is to go for 195/65 R15 on stock rim. This will give a slight increase in wall height also, improving the ride slightly better.
195 60 R15 should be the correct profile.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 10:29   #1800
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

In-fact, I have seen many Owners who have discarded the last last row of seats and use the car as a 5 seater station wagon

Awesome concept from Maruti.
+1

My dad is one of this lot. The best of all worlds we get, be it space, utility and comfort.

Hats-off to Maruti.

Anurag.

Most Viewed