Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 22:22   #2056
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Couple of days back there was this news that Suzuki is coming out its indigenously developed 1.5 litre diesel engine, which will be first plonked in the Ertiga and then in the Ciaz. Does anyone have an idea what would be the specs of this engine (power and torque figures)? Also when can we expect the first Ertiga to hit the roads with this engine?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 12th October 2014 at 22:23.
Old 13th October 2014, 06:45   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Couple of days back there was this news that Suzuki is coming out its indigenously developed 1.5 litre diesel engine, which will be first plonked in the Ertiga and then in the Ciaz. Does anyone have an idea what would be the specs of this engine (power and torque figures)? Also when can we expect the first Ertiga to hit the roads with this engine?
Definitely not before 3 years from now. Ertiga is fairly new car and i dont see maruti make any major changes for another 2-3 years

What they might do is cosmetic changes to exterior and provide split 3rd seats, driver arm rest etc to compete with mobilio
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 08:24   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Is MSIL still producing VXi with ABS. Recently one of society members purchased VXi. When I asked him why didn't he opt for the one with ABS, he said that the dealer told him that VXi with ABS has been discontinued. Moreover the anniversary edition of Ertiga is also not available.
Atleast i see it on the Bangalore Maruti dealers on road price sheet. Hardly seem to be 10K extra compared to normal Vxi. A must have feature i guess.

Unlike Earlier long waiting times, now Ertiga is available off the shelf. So dealer might be just trying to clear his stock. Try approaching multiple dealers and verify
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 01:29   #2059
BHPian

I booked an Ertiga Vxi ABS yesterday. Sales advisor did not say anything about it being discontinued but yes wait time is around 3-4 weeks. Some dealers have inventory of VXi and want to clear that. So they gave me a lead time of 4-6 weeks. So clearly its more about clearing stocks and not to order anything different than usual towards year end.
Old 15th October 2014, 05:54   #2060
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp View Post
I booked an Ertiga Vxi ABS yesterday. Sales advisor did not say anything about it being discontinued but yes wait time is around 3-4 weeks. Some dealers have inventory of VXi and want to clear that. So they gave me a lead time of 4-6 weeks. So clearly its more about clearing stocks and not to order anything different than usual towards year end.
Congratulations on booking the car and I must say a great decision to get the ABS variant. Sensible!

The wait is going to kill but worth it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 10:40   #2061
BHPian

Yesterday, I tried to open my car with car remote but couldn’t open it. Then I manually opened it and cranked when this light came on and is not going.

Secondly my HU has stopped functioning and my MID is getting reset every time I start the car!

I checked it on the net and found that this is “ Check Engine Light” and the possible reasons are:
1) Replace Oxygen Sensor
2) Loose or Faulty Gas Cap
3) Replace Catalytic Convertor
4) Replace Mass Airflow Sensor
5) Replace Spark Plugs and Wires

Now the questions:
1) Is this serious as this has happened within 7 months of owning my Ertiga and just 10752 km on the ODO?
2) Can I continue driving with this? I don’t intend to drive till I show it to MASS but will driving for a day or two aggravate the problem?
3) If any parts need to be replaced, can I do it under warranty? Recently, I have done light upgradation to 135/90 using a relay. Will this void the warranty?

Awaiting your response.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-cel.jpg  

Old 31st October 2014, 11:05   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarNi View Post
Yesterday, I tried to open my car with car remote but couldn’t open it. Then I manually opened it and cranked when this light came on and is not going.

Secondly my HU has stopped functioning and my MID is getting reset every time I start the car!

I checked it on the net and found that this is “ Check Engine Light” and the possible reasons are:
1) Replace Oxygen Sensor
2) Loose or Faulty Gas Cap
3) Replace Catalytic Convertor
4) Replace Mass Airflow Sensor
5) Replace Spark Plugs and Wires

Now the questions:
1) Is this serious as this has happened within 7 months of owning my Ertiga and just 10752 km on the ODO?
2) Can I continue driving with this? I don’t intend to drive till I show it to MASS but will driving for a day or two aggravate the problem?
  • Check the health of your battery and voltage between Terminal when the engine is off
  • Check if Both the Positive and Negative Terminal on the battery is tightened properly on the battery - To me, this seems like the main reason for all the issues mentioned above as one of the terminal is making intermittent contacts on the battery resulting in things either getting reset (Head Unit) or not working (Remote locking)
  • Ideally, if your car is locked using the remote, when you try to open the door with the keys (on the driver side door), Alarm will get activated. I suspect from your explanation that this did not happen and that is another hint that the central locking system would be disarmed when the battery lost contact!
  • Also ensure that the chassis Ground running from the Negative terminal of the battery is securely fixed on the other end too
  • Check of Rat bites and chewed wires as well
Quote:
Recently, I have done light upgradation to 135/90 using a relay. Will this void the warranty?

Awaiting your response.
I assume you have upgraded the headlights with a Wiring Kit (Relay, Porcelain Holders and 30 Amp Fuses) and not just installed the bulbs directly into the OE Socket?
If you have used the Kit, chances are that the Positive terminal of the Battery may not be secured properly (One of the wires from the wiring Kit has to get connected to the 12v Terminal on the battery) resulting in intermittent contacts.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st October 2014 at 11:13.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:43   #2063
BHPian

Thanks Parag!

I just had the third servicing at 9812 kms. Is it possible that this problem can occur within a 1000 kms after service? Can a battery go weak in such a short span of time!

I hope it is not the rat menace as even if I resolve it now, there is no permanent solution to this that I can think of. Any suggestions?

I guess, I need to take this to MASS ASAP as I don't have the tools to check what you have pointed out.

I remember using a relay but not sure about porcelain holders or 30 amp fuses.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:57   #2064
BHPian

My Ertiga VDi has crossed 29k Km this week and I plan to dothe 30k service soon because a long trip is coming up. Remembering my experience during 20k service where I paid more than Rs. 11000, I want to be careful this time and decline unnecessary items. Please suggest if you have anything specific based on past experience, anything that can be safely declined.

I will decline wheel balancing and alignment because I got it done outside around 27k Km, so no need of that.

thanks!
Old 31st October 2014, 17:12   #2065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Parag!

I just had the third servicing at 9812 kms. Is it possible that this problem can occur within a 1000 kms after service? Can a battery go weak in such a short span of time!
During the service if the battery's negative terminal (Ground) was disconnected as practice and the mechanic simply forgetting to torque the nut on the terminal, it may have led to loose connection and intermittent contact.

A battery going weak is a case where you would firstly not be able to crank the car though a few things might work (Music System, Parking lights etc) as they don't need high voltage level.

Since you are able to start the car, a case of weak battery is ruled out.

Quote:
I hope it is not the rat menace as even if I resolve it now, there is no permanent solution to this that I can think of. Any suggestions?
Try to figure out if the battery terminals are intact and if yes, check for the Rat menace there after.
Quote:
I guess, I need to take this to MASS ASAP as I don't have the tools to check what you have pointed out.
To check, you simply need to open the hood and try to move around the Red and the Black cable mounted on the Battery's Positive and Negative terminals with your bare hands and find out if the connector is loosely fit. Further to this you will need a ring spanner to tighten the bolts (If you find them loose).
Quote:
I remember using a relay but not sure about porcelain holders or 30 amp fuses.
I believe if the relay was used, The installers would have surely used a proper wiring Kit unless they want to spend a lot of time doing a DIY when things are available. If you paid anything between 1400-1500 for this installation (Inclusive of Bulbs) then the Kit would be part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
My Ertiga VDi has crossed 29k Km this week and I plan to dothe 30k service soon because a long trip is coming up. Remembering my experience during 20k service where I paid more than Rs. 11000, I want to be careful this time and decline unnecessary items. Please suggest if you have anything specific based on past experience, anything that can be safely declined.

I will decline wheel balancing and alignment because I got it done outside around 27k Km, so no need of that.

thanks!
Engine Oil(Every 10k kms), Fuel Filter and Oil Filter, Coolant, Brake Fluid needs replacement every 20k kms. Apart from this, at 30000 kms, Maruti recommends EGR Cleaning as per the Maintenance schedule.

Stay away from any other money making billable items - AC Duct cleaning, Interior cleaning, Alignment and Balancing (Get this done outside), Brake Drum cleaning, Caliper pin greasing (Unless there is caliper pin noise), Brake pad cleaning. However, since you will get the brake fluid replaced, you will be charged for brake bleeding.

Also make sure you don't fall for coolant flush job as it is not necessary at this stage.

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st October 2014 at 17:21.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:27   #2066
BHPian

Thanks a ton Parag!

Today I have called my BIL who is a service engineer for diesel engines. He will bring multi metre to check voltage for the battery.

I paid some what like Rs 1700 for the light upgrade so I hope I have got a proper kit. I did it at Poona Motors, Camp which is kind of reputed shop for accessories.

If nothing works out, I will take it to MASS. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 31st October 2014, 17:49   #2067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Parag!

Today I have called my BIL who is a service engineer for diesel engines. He will bring multi metre to check voltage for the battery.

I paid some what like Rs 1700 for the light upgrade so I hope I have got a proper kit. I did it at Poona Motors, Camp which is kind of reputed shop for accessories.

If nothing works out, I will take it to MASS. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Sure, just check if the terminals are secure first and then go for the Voltage test (that I feel may not be required if the car is cranking well).

A healthy battery should show a voltage of 12.4Xv-12.5Xv at the terminals.

Poona Motors - I guess this is the same shop that one gets on the left hand side as soon as you cross the Camp Signal and drive towards Hadapsar (Race course)?

He is a big name (or reputed) in accessories in Pune I am sure.
Old 1st November 2014, 08:59   #2068
BHPian

Yesterday, I opened the bonnet and the problem is not major but damaging nonetheless! Rats have played havoc with the wiring

I will take it to MASS tomorrow. Any idea how much will it cost and whether I can get it done under warranty?

Any long term solution to this? I don't want to deal with rat poisons and things like that because I have small children playing in the parking lot of my society. Can't take chances....

Poona Motors, you are right! Porcelain holders and 30 amp fuses are both there!!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-rat1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-rat2.jpg  

CoolCarNi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 21:31   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Is it possible to fit the SX4's 16 inch rims with the 205 section tires? I feel it could improve the GC and as well make the car look more handsome.
Wouldnt the 205 be overkill on the SX4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
VDi comes with ABS & Stereo. Even LDi also have the ABS.
Airbags are only with ZXi & ZDi.

Go for ZDi its really VFM.(In comparison to Innova)

Are you sure the LDi/LXi have ABS?

Is this ertige specific or applies to the Swift/Ritz/Celerio too?

Last edited by bblost : 1st November 2014 at 23:49.
Old 3rd November 2014, 00:17   #2070
BHPian

Like many other people, went to take a look at the Ciaz, and while I was there, checked out the Ertiga as well. Took a short drive of the Zxi and walked out impressed by the car-like behaviour and brilliant driveability. Must say, I have newfound respect for this very practical car.

It could be the Ciaz setting the expectations high, but I hope Maruti upgrades Ertiga with slightly better interiors, bluetooth HU and reverse-parking cam. Maybe introduce a Zxi+!
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed