Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 14:43   #2626
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesaber View Post
Hello Parag,

Can you please let us know where you had the 100/90 relay + blub upgrade done in Bangalore? Or can you recommend a place? I am sure many places in JC road will have face/duplicate items.

thank you!
Buy them online please. These days it is much wiser to pick stuff online through reputed sellers.

As for me, It was a pure DIY at home. I bought bulbs from JK Automobiles on JC Road while I picked up the Relay kit with wiring online long back.

If you are looking for reliable shops in JC Road, try Popular Automobiles. For this, you turn left at the traffic light on JC Road (Where you pass Multi-Storey on you right first). As you turn left you are on AM Road where you head another 150 meters and you will spot this shop on the right side on 1st Floor (With a huge Board in Yellow).

This chap stocks genuine stuff - Relay and Bulbs and will even arrange someone to fix this kit for you for mere 100 INR who will do this job in 15 minutes max.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:59   #2627
BHPian

Please let me know if there would a more appropriate threat to ask this question on.

My current monthly average driving is less than 500kms, with max 2 outstation drives a year, say around 1200kms, i.e. not more than 7000-7500kms/year. I am considering Ertiga (as a 5+2 seater), and am torn between petrol and diesel versions.

One of the factors that I had in mind while deciding my next vehicle was how well does it haul itself, when being fully loaded, in tough ghat roads. My present vehicle fails miserably (and had almost got us killed with a stall in steep ghat roads). I have been told that, invariable diesel vehicles have much higher torque and thus do much better on such roads.

Thus my questions to the community:
  1. How well does the petrol Ertiga perform, when fully loaded (5 adults, 2 kids, and some luggage), on steep hill roads (like the famous Ooty 36-HPB's via Masinagudi) ?
  2. Is the torque that a petrol Eritiga deliver, enough to start from rest, when on a tough incline ? When a vehicle is in motion (has the momentum), many underpower vehicles can continue to push through, but give up completely when starting from a state of rest (precisely the problem with my present main ride).
  3. Are there any reasons that could justify still going for a diesel vehicle, i.e. if fuel-efficiency is not the biggest concern ?
The recent reports that Delhi govt may ban private diesel vehicles, 10yr retirement of diesel vehicles and the steep initial markup are big enough deterrents for diesel, otherwise, I have to admit that I was beginning to swing in favour of diesel.

One additional question (nothing to do about petrol vs diesel Eritiga), is about body quality. Is it a vehicle that one should expect to rust easily and rapidly, say in a city like Bangalore ? The other vehicle that I am considering is a Lodgy (unfortunately, available only with diesel engine, and tad expensive). I've heard/read that many Indian cars are "rust buckets", and thus the question.

Last edited by bdutta : 10th December 2015 at 16:03. Reason: added query.
Old 11th December 2015, 15:14   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Please let me know if there would a more appropriate threat to ask this question on.

My current monthly average driving is less than 500kms, with max 2 outstation drives a year, say around 1200kms, i.e. not more than 7000-7500kms/year. I am considering Ertiga (as a 5+2 seater), and am torn between petrol and diesel versions.

One of the factors that I had in mind while deciding my next vehicle was how well does it haul itself, when being fully loaded, in tough ghat roads. My present vehicle fails miserably (and had almost got us killed with a stall in steep ghat roads). I have been told that, invariable diesel vehicles have much higher torque and thus do much better on such roads.

Thus my questions to the community:
  1. How well does the petrol Ertiga perform, when fully loaded (5 adults, 2 kids, and some luggage), on steep hill roads (like the famous Ooty 36-HPB's via Masinagudi) ?
  2. Is the torque that a petrol Eritiga deliver, enough to start from rest, when on a tough incline ? When a vehicle is in motion (has the momentum), many underpower vehicles can continue to push through, but give up completely when starting from a state of rest (precisely the problem with my present main ride).
  3. Are there any reasons that could justify still going for a diesel vehicle, i.e. if fuel-efficiency is not the biggest concern ?
The recent reports that Delhi govt may ban private diesel vehicles, 10yr retirement of diesel vehicles and the steep initial markup are big enough deterrents for diesel, otherwise, I have to admit that I was beginning to swing in favour of diesel.

One additional question (nothing to do about petrol vs diesel Eritiga), is about body quality. Is it a vehicle that one should expect to rust easily and rapidly, say in a city like Bangalore ? The other vehicle that I am considering is a Lodgy (unfortunately, available only with diesel engine, and tad expensive). I've heard/read that many Indian cars are "rust buckets", and thus the question.
I might not be able to answer all questions since I drive a diesel Ertiga and most of your questions are for Petrol Ertiga. However I have driven petrol one few times thus I have following to say:

Ertiga is the most VFM UV you can get in that price bracket and it’s like any other Maruti product in terms of reliability & maintenance. Build quality is decent if not good per Maruti standard however no match to Innova or german cars, but then those costs a bomb

The 3rd row seats in Ertiga are very usable and provides very good under thigh & back support. I have travelled in almost all UV’s and found that Ertiga 3rd row seats are most comfortable amongst all, but the leg room is limited thus you will see comments like it being uncomfortable. Anyway its 5+2 seater & not proper 7 seater. Enough Said!

Petrol motor in Ertiga is nice and drivable in the city & on highways, however same is not true on hilly roads/inclines if fully loaded. But don’t worry Car won’t be stranded on inclines just that it requires downshifting or being in proper gear to provide enough torque.

Diesel motor on other hands behaves differently. It’s the famous 1.3 MJD with variable geometry turbo. In comparison to the petrol engine the diesel one will perform better on hilly areas due to extra torque it produces. It has turbo lag below 2000 RPM but has good turbo kick post 2k and it’s an able highway cruiser. You can travel day long without tiring yourself & the engine. However due to this turbo lag, it’s difficult to maneuver LUV on hilly areas/inclines and one has to work it out with downshifting or keeping it in turbo zone. The FWD transmission has to pull the vehicle in comparison to RWD or AWD vehicle where it’s pushing the vehicle by engine (in layman’s perspective) which is easier for the motor. That’s the reason Innova and some other UVs shines here who have bigger capacity engines and are RWD.

I tried resolving this particular issue by installing tunning box which has masked the turbo lag to some extent and LUV is drivable on such terrains albeit with less pain.

But if you are looking for a 5+2 commuter which can accelerate fast or can travel in hilly area without efforts, Ertiga is not for you. But as said earlier such vehicles costs a bomb.

If you are ready to accept this small drawbacks of Ertiga, its best LU to own since it ticks most of the boxes of a 5+2 commuter!
Aficionados is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 23:45   #2629

I have booked the Ertiga ZDI + SHVS today. After contemplating between XUV and Ertiga, decided to go ahead and take the leap. Vehicle is in stock and should be delivered by the end of the week.
Old 14th December 2015, 09:52   #2630
BHPian

Thanks Parag. I had these installed at JC Road. Rs1100 for the kit plus Rs300 for installation. There headlights upgrades are a must for Ertiga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Buy them online please. These days it is much wiser to pick stuff online through reputed sellers.

As for me, It was a pure DIY at home. I bought bulbs from JK Automobiles on JC Road while I picked up the Relay kit with wiring online long back.

If you are looking for reliable shops in JC Road, try Popular Automobiles. For this, you turn left at the traffic light on JC Road (Where you pass Multi-Storey on you right first). As you turn left you are on AM Road where you head another 150 meters and you will spot this shop on the right side on 1st Floor (With a huge Board in Yellow).

This chap stocks genuine stuff - Relay and Bulbs and will even arrange someone to fix this kit for you for mere 100 INR who will do this job in 15 minutes max.
litesaber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 11:54   #2631
hnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkoNawab View Post
I have booked the Ertiga ZDI + SHVS today. After contemplating between XUV and Ertiga, decided to go ahead and take the leap. Vehicle is in stock and should be delivered by the end of the week.
I'm thinking to book in next few days for ZDI+ as well. I asked for granite grey and they (Garuda Motors) said this colour is not available right now and it will be delivered by end of Jan! Which showroom did you book?
Old 14th December 2015, 13:32   #2632

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnp View Post
I'm thinking to book in next few days for ZDI+ as well. I asked for granite grey and they (Garuda Motors) said this colour is not available right now and it will be delivered by end of Jan! Which showroom did you book?
I booked this with Sagar Automobiles, Bannergatta Road. You may like to check with Suraksha Car and RNS Motors, as I remember they have stock for the same.

Its sort of confirmed that there shall be a price hike from January 2016 onward for all Maruti Cars, hence I had to prepone my purchase.
LkoNawab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 15:09   #2633
BHPian

Wanted to do Paint protection on my car. After reading through the forum found that Waxoyl and Diamond brite treatment offer good protection. Also these 2 treatment do not use rubbing compound hence paint is not cut. I am a little confused as to which treatment should I opt for. Both are quoting Rs 4000.

Request the fellow BHpians who have done the treatment or have info to advice . Thank in advance.
Old 14th December 2015, 16:26   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations in advance.

I am exactly in the same situation. XUV and Ertiga are the only two cars in front of me now (after going through all the other options). Me (especially my family) is leaning more towards Ertiga. Looks like another Maruti Suzuki for me

I have two question for fellow TBHP members,
1. Is purchasing the car in December a good decision considering following factors?
- do dealers give more discount at year end? i.e. getting better bargain.
- Can I book the car in December and get it registered in January? Date would be year 2016. Though I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 6 to 7 years.
- In case of January delivery, will the revised prices get applicable?
2. Has anyone seen the new color Pearl Blue Blaze on Ertiga? is it similar to Blue offered on Celerio?
Maruti has discontinued Red
IMO With the new colors, you are really limited for choice.
Old 14th December 2015, 17:34   #2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
Congratulations in advance.

I am exactly in the same situation. XUV and Ertiga are the only two cars in front of me now (after going through all the other options). Me (especially my family) is leaning more towards Ertiga. Looks like another Maruti Suzuki for me

I have two question for fellow TBHP members,
1. Is purchasing the car in December a good decision considering following factors?
- do dealers give more discount at year end? i.e. getting better bargain.
- Can I book the car in December and get it registered in January? Date would be year 2016. Though I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 6 to 7 years.
- In case of January delivery, will the revised prices get applicable?
2. Has anyone seen the new color Pearl Blue Blaze on Ertiga? is it similar to Blue offered on Celerio?
Maruti has discontinued Red
IMO With the new colors, you are really limited for choice.
I can share you my experience on the present purchase since you are also in the same boat

- Dealer Discount: Ertiga SHVS does not have any offers and no freebies from Maruti. I have tried to squeeze the Dealers but till now only the Door visors and side protectors are all that have been offered. The insurance variation of market vs dealer quote i.e 3-5K is the other discount that can be availed.
- Jan 2016 Registration: You can get January Reg but the year of Manufacture 2015 shall be mentioned on the RC Book. But as you tend to keep the car for >5 years, as per me the resale value shall be more or less as per the kms on the ODO and the condition of the car.
- Unless the car price is paid in full now, the revised prices applicable on date of delivery are to be paid.

My choice of colour is Silver and sort of was the only colour available in ZDI+ trim across dealers now. I have not seen new Blue colour so shall not comment on that.
LkoNawab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 18:55   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen the Pearl Blue Ertiga at Varun Motors Jubilee Hills branch getting ready for delivery and it looks very good.

It is not the blue on Celerio. This one is more like a Vento kind of dark blue. Looks good on Ertiga. Maruti should have dropped the Serene Blue and offered something in red.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 22:51   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
I can share you my experience on the present purchase since you are also in the same boat

- Dealer Discount: Ertiga SHVS does not have any offers and no freebies from Maruti. I have tried to squeeze the Dealers but till now only the Door visors and side protectors are all that have been offered. The insurance variation of market vs dealer quote i.e 3-5K is the other discount that can be availed.
You will get Rs 13000 Hybrid Discount offered by the Goverment which is passed on to the customers. i also got it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th December 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Fixed quoted post
fuzail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 00:25   #2638

I shall not term that as a discount. This is a subsidy/rebate offered by the Government to incentivise the Hybrid acceptance. Maruti or the dealer does not have a say in deciding the same.
Old 15th December 2015, 10:56   #2639
BHPian

Quote:

I guessed that. It's usually difficult to get discount on new launch. And Ertiga diesel sells like hot cake.
I plan to take insurance from outside.

Quote:
- Jan 2016 Registration: You can get January Reg but the year of Manufacture 2015 shall be mentioned on the RC Book. But as you tend to keep the car for >5 years, as per me the resale value shall be more or less as per the kms on the ODO and the condition of the car.
- Unless the car price is paid in full now, the revised prices applicable on date of delivery are to be paid.
I may wait till January as December discount looks bleak on ZDI+

Quote:
My choice of colour is Silver and sort of was the only colour available in ZDI+ trim across dealers now. I have not seen new Blue colour so shall not comment on that.
Silver is anytime best. My swift is silver so planning to get something different

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
I had seen the Pearl Blue Ertiga at Varun Motors Jubilee Hills branch getting ready for delivery and it looks very good.

It is not the blue on Celerio. This one is more like a Vento kind of dark blue. Looks good on Ertiga. Maruti should have dropped the Serene Blue and offered something in red.
Vento blue is very dark, very close to black. Are you sure?
The Pearl Blue shown on Ertiga website looks similar to that offered on Celerio. Will check with few dealers if they have this color available. Need to see the car in flesh before deciding.

Yes, red should have been retained. Now Ertiga have two shades of blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
You will get Rs 13000 Hybrid Discount offered by the Goverment which is passed on to the customers. i also got it.
Is this amount reduced from the final Invoice or it is reimbursed after the delivery?
Old 15th December 2015, 11:24   #2640
BHPian

Quote:

Vento blue is very dark, very close to black. Are you sure?
The Pearl Blue shown on Ertiga website looks similar to that offered on Celerio. Will check with few dealers if they have this color available. Need to see the car in flesh before deciding.

Yes. I was walking past the showroom to my car and it is dark blue. I had taken my car and done a U Turn and from the other side of road the car looks almost black.

But do checkout the color in person before deciding. For me, the color looks good on Ertiga with the excessive chrome contrasts on the new Ertiga.

Quote:
Is this amount reduced from the final Invoice or it is reimbursed after the delivery?
I was told that the amount will be reimbursed directly to the customer through a check. I didn't enquire further.

Last edited by mrbaddy : 15th December 2015 at 11:27.

Most Viewed