Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2016, 10:31   #2761

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Hi guys.
After a long period of waiting for new launches (Creta, Vitara Brezza, TUV300, Nuvosport) none could fulfill my requirements like the Ertiga. So I gave up my patience and went ahead to book the car that ticked the most boxes on 31st March. I was expecting that there'd be end of year discounts, but later I realised how mistaken I was to expect discount on a running product like the Ertiga. That too the CNG variant.

(Although I received a 10000₹ higher value for my used car and an exchange bonus of 10000₹)

Still, the dealer has offered few freebies like underbody antirust treatment, mats, door side mouldings, ambient lighting, door sill guard, door visors and seat covers.

I had earlier booked the granite grey colour and was expected the delivery on Gudi Padwa but they just missed that deadline. After that I changed the colour to White. Now the delivery is scheduled to happen on 19th April.

Expecting the PDI call today. Will be a proud Ertiga Owner soon.
Old 17th April 2016, 15:13   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmitJobs View Post
Hi guys.
After a long period of waiting for new launches (Creta, Vitara Brezza, TUV300, Nuvosport) none could fulfill my requirements like the Ertiga. So I gave up my patience and went ahead to book the car that ticked the most boxes on 31st March. I was expecting that there'd be end of year discounts, but later I realised how mistaken I was to expect discount on a running product like the Ertiga. That too the CNG variant.

(Although I received a 10000₹ higher value for my used car and an exchange bonus of 10000₹)

Still, the dealer has offered few freebies like underbody antirust treatment, mats, door side mouldings, ambient lighting, door sill guard, door visors and seat covers.

I had earlier booked the granite grey colour and was expected the delivery on Gudi Padwa but they just missed that deadline. After that I changed the colour to White. Now the delivery is scheduled to happen on 19th April.

Expecting the PDI call today. Will be a proud Ertiga Owner soon.
Welcome to the Family
Old 18th April 2016, 07:52   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
I found Ertiga very sluggish on very steep inclines [ Grade 8-10% ]. If we lose acceleration it stalls and need to floor the accelerator to start from 0 speed.

I was driving a petrol Fiesta earlier and used to breeze on uphill drives.

Any changes in driving style for Ertiga ? Is 89 BHP less if the car has 6 passengers ?
You are spot on here. Yes Ertiga is sluggish on steep inclines (but only when rpm is below 1800). I have been using Ertiga now for 2.5 years and 38000kms (my previous cars being Fiesta Classic 33000kms and Swift Diesel 29000kms). Reasons have already been explained, however my thought is - Ertiga has ample power of 89 horses for regular use. It does a decent job even when fully loaded (fully loaded for me is 9 adults and 2 kids, YES REALLY!!). However as you know for a big vehicle (read bigger than Swift), when it is not in its Turbo bad, it does suffer on inclines. Below 1800rpm, Ertiga kind of pulls 'back' on steep inclines. When you stop on a hair pin for example, if with 3-4 adults, you need to slightly floor the accelerator from prevent her from stalling (but not fully floor, rpm above 2000). But to me this is the only chink in Ertiga's armour which we can live with and can overcome with experience. But even having said this, my previous Fiesta Classic Diesel also sometimes stalled on hairpins with load. So we can term this as normal behavior unless you are driving a 1.6 litre or more car.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 11:41   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
However as you know for a big vehicle (read bigger than Swift), when it is not in its Turbo bad, it does suffer on inclines. Below 1800rpm, Ertiga kind of pulls 'back' on steep inclines. When you stop on a hair pin for example, if with 3-4 adults, you need to slightly floor the accelerator from prevent her from stalling (but not fully floor, rpm above 2000).
Question for Ertiga Petrol owners: does the petrol engine fare better than the diesel on steep inclines ?
Old 18th April 2016, 13:59   #2765
BHPian

The last few days haven’t been really good for my LUV & it is because of,

• Got stuck in hailstorm
• 20K service experience
• Dog hits the car

Sadness Part 1

It was March 27th & after visiting my parents at Nippani, I started return journey to Goa at around 2.30 PM. As I neared Belgaum (exactly at Kakati) rain got heavier & storm stuck. The noise of hails hitting the car was so loud that my 5 month old daughter got up crying. I parked car on service road fearing windshield might crack. The impact of hails was so severe that it has left umpteen dimples on the bonnet & some portion of the roof. Once it mellowed & visibility improved I continued the journey. These dings are not visible from a distance but a closer look & you’ll feel sorry. I believe I have to replace the entire bonnet. Do guide me if there is any alternative to it. As of now I am okay with it as there is no paint damage & those are visible only when closely looked.

Sadness Part 2

Gave my car for 20K servicing following Saturday at Chowgules, Margao. I didn’t had any complaints related to car barring broken spring of boot flap (Flap behind 3rd row seat) & cable dressing of reverse parking camera. SA prepared customary job card after noting down these points. He hurriedly explained me what he will be working on as part 20K service. Once he was done, I started going through job card & asked purpose of each task he has marked. He could not explain properly most of the points on the job card. E.g. What is purpose of diesel additives? Why are you recommending EGR cleaning at 20K & How you are going to perform EGR cleaning? Points for which he did not had justification were asked to get rid. What put me off was lack of car knowledge in SA. Before leaving the car I thought of checking the brand of engine oil & to my shock, forget brand he didn’t knew what grade oil will be used. By now I started worrying if my car is in safe hands. I did not wanted to leave but Chowgules do not have customer lounge & neither I could peep in to service bay. I left the premises with heavy heart. By noon I received message about car being ready & contacting SA. I was happy that I will get car almost 3 hours before the schedule & called up SA. He said car won’t be ready until evening as car wash is still pending & it is bottleneck for delivery. I reached premises at around 5.15 PM after couple of follow ups. Took a look at the car & was under impression that it is yet to be ready as exterior were not cleaned properly. But SA had other thoughts. He took me to the payment counter & said car will be ready by the time payment is made. When I gave my card for swiping the cashier told there will extra charges. Upon asking why am I being charged extra for card payment, he called up SA & asked to get consent for waiver. Got the waiver within couple of minutes. I guess the waiver is only for people who question existence of extra charges. We came to the vehicle & one could easily see the dirt on the car. The reverse parking camera cable dressing was also not done. Upon asking why the dressing is not done, he told he has checked for connectors they are perfectly fine. Well that never was my requirement (Checking connectors). I realized there isn’t any point talking to him. Meanwhile SA went to look for the person who can get the cleaning done. I believe Chowgules have given the car cleaning to some contractor & SA got into argument with the contractor labor. By now I had enough of it & left the premises saying not to worry about cleaning.

I received mail regarding service feedback after couple of days. I replied with issues I faced during the visit. I received call from Customer car manager next day about my feedback & I narrated the story to him. He put forward request to visit & meeting was fixed for 9th April.

Lessons learned

If you look at final bill, I am charged Rs.250 for the fitment of Rs.311 Cabin AC filter. So no matter, how unhappy you are with SA, go through job card in detail. Actions and charges against them. Do not assume things will be done under paid service. Trust me 90% of customer fall prey for this loot (Have a close look at the job card & you will get an idea). My estimated bill of Rs.14K came down to actual Rs.7.7K. It would have been much lesser if I would have not assumed break cleaning & AC filter replacement as part of paid service.

Sadness Part 3

I was returning from office Friday evening (a day before scheduled meeting with Customer Care Manager) & after Arlem circle a dog jumped on the road out of nowhere. My speed was not more than 30 Kmph but the pace at which dog ran & hit the car I thought it dead. I got down to see if it has got stuck between wheels, after parking on road side. But it was nowhere to be seen. People standing by informed me it has ran away. Came home and accessed damaged. Luckily there wasn’t anything that could burn a hole in my pocket. Snap fit projections of cover for tow hook were damaged & intercooler grill had crack. The crack was not big for replacement of the grill so I thought I will live with it. Next day I went to visit Customer Car Manager & explained him in detail points that put me off. He called up electrician for cable dressing while the discussion was still on & within no time it was done. I also told him about dog hitting the car & requested to take the vehicle on ramp to see if anything else has damaged. He happily obliged & car was at few feet height from ground within next few moments. I could see other than tow hook cover, wind deflector was also damaged. I may not replace it as I am sure it would not be making any rattling noise. I expressed my willingness to buy the new cover, provided it is readily available. The shop floor supervisor told the piece is available only in black color & painting is required before fitting. Now comes the bomb. The price of the part was Rs.79/- but painting cost was Rs.500/-. I thanked him & brought only cover. I plan to paint at home.

Despite being Customer care manager, he surprisingly wasn’t aware about Team BHP. He thought ‘Live to Drive’ was a nice punch line. To the best of my knowledge I tried to explain him to what it meant & what for Team BHP stands.

DIY’s planned

I did not had any problem saying no to the painting work which would cost me 7 times the price of the part, because I knew there will be several on this community to guide me. In fact below thread is what exactly I have planned.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ed-bumper.html

I shall keep you posted about the update on it.

P.S. - I have attached pictures of Damage due to Hail storm (Doesn't replicate actual damage ), job card, final bill, Wind Deflector Damage, Tow hook cover portion, Actual part (Which needs paint), Temporary solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160415_145845.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160405_143042.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160405_143110.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160409_164535.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160409_164540.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160413_074100.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img_20160413_080456.jpg  

Old 18th April 2016, 14:16   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
Question for Ertiga Petrol owners: does the petrol engine fare better than the diesel on steep inclines ?
I have a Petrol Ertiga ZXI since the last 2.5 years. I have faced no problems at all on steep inclines. The steepest inclines that I have encountered are some of them while driving to Matheran. I am a fan of the Petrol Engine. Many people say it's has a lacklustre performance, but I really like the free revving nature of the petrol engine. Don't have much experience in driving the diesels though.
SachinVD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 15:41   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is a seller who I bought mine for the WagonR recently and that too just one bulb and it was Original

You can buy online from here. A good seller as I have purchased a lot of items specially for my ICE Install from him.

Overkill and will certainly damage on long run. Stick to 100/90.
I have bought the 100/90 bulb along with the relay harness. Parag can u please guide me as to where do i fit the relay and the wire routings. If u could provide pictures of your setup, it will help a lot. Thanks
Old 24th April 2016, 16:52   #2768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
I have bought the 100/90 bulb along with the relay harness. Parag can u please guide me as to where do i fit the relay and the wire routings. If u could provide pictures of your setup, it will help a lot. Thanks
Disconnect both the OE Holders from both the Bulbs. They simply hang there. Now connect the left hand side bulb's OE Holder to the female holder supplied as part of the Wiring harness you bought. So one OE holder is used here and the other one hangs. This is done essentially to pass the controls to your harness from the main headlight switch/stalks.

There will be one Ring/C-Terminal each attached to both the Bulb Holders of your new wiring kit. Thats for Ground. The best place for these is the bolt holding the fender right behind the Headlight assembly.

There will be one more ring terminal which goes to the 12V (Positive) node of the Battery of your car.

Ensure you route the cabling of the harness from behind the front Grill. For this you need to remove the studs holding the grille, make some space and route the cable here from LHS to RHS side. Use plenty of zip ties for securing the cables.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:13   #2769
BHPian

Folks,

Bunch of questions, hopefully existing Ertiga owners can chip in on. Thinking of a VXi for now:
  • Has anybody actually tried insurance-cost saving tricks of transferring NCB from previous car ? Experience of same and latest procedure would be very helpful.
  • Is it true that Maruti Insurance (from dealer) is generally less expensive compared to the other options available outside (so no point shopping) ?
  • Thinking of going for after-market accessories, though in case of VXi, I think most of the essentials are part of the trimline. The ones that are useful but not included are probably the bumper guards, side moldings and roof-carrier. Does it save money (without compromising quality), to go aftermarket ?
  • What are the latest norms regarding acceptable sun films. I got some conflicting reports of front/rear 15% visibility, side 20-30%. Is that correct ?
  • Anyone found any detachable roof-rack / luggage carrier (other than the Thules), that is under 15K ?
  • If anyone can suggest any money saving hacks, please do share.
  • Finally, I've got a 2003 Wagon-R LX (with about 40k on ODO -- 100% genuine, no reset/hacks). I spent ~85K getting full body work done on it in 2014. Truevalue quotes ~90K resale (and 30K in exchange bonus). Wondering if there's any chance of better net valuation (90+30K) ?
If gurus/mods feel that I should split the question, please suggest.

cheers,
BD
Old 28th April 2016, 17:41   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that Maruti Insurance (from dealer) is generally less expensive compared to the other options available outside (so no point shopping) ?
It depends on the bank you choose. For me the quotation I received from Royal Sundaram was on higher side than what Maruti was offering. But quote from Future Generalli was lesser.

Quote:
Thinking of going for after-market accessories, though in case of VXi, I think most of the essentials are part of the trimline. The ones that are useful but not included are probably the bumper guards, side moldings and roof-carrier. Does it save money (without compromising quality), to go aftermarket ?
I would recommend you to go for MGA or rather bargain for them at the time of buy.

Quote:
Anyone found any detachable roof-rack / luggage carrier (other than the Thules), that is under 15K ?
Check the link

http://www.ajantain.com/roof_box_-_cargo_box
Ertigiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:06   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ertiga Diesel Owners: I have seen many Ertigas with one common complaint in MASS. There is sudden loss of power and car goes into limp mode. It is accompanied by SVS light in few cases which shows error code of high boost pressure. Maruti is correcting the issue by EGR solenoid replacement/reflashing of ECU map/turbo change. I want to know if anybody here in Team-Bhp encountered this problem? I had same problem in my SX4 and turbo was replaced.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:00   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
[*]Anyone found any detachable roof-rack / luggage carrier (other than the Thules), that is under 15K ?
cheers,
BD
I am using MGP Roof Carrier. It is detachable and it costed Rs 12000 1.5 yrs back.
mobix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:51   #2773
BHPian

Anyone tried this kind of roof carrier, for Ertiga ?

This one appears to be non-removable, but very well blended with the roof curves, and might have slightly better aero-dynamics. What is not clear from the picture is what (on the car roof) would be carrying the weight. Anything that puts weight on the roof surface, IMHO is strict no-no.
Old 29th April 2016, 12:54   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobix View Post
I am using MGP Roof Carrier. It is detachable and it costed Rs 12000 1.5 yrs back.
Thanks. Didn't realize that the MGA roof carrier was detachable. Last time I visited the showroom (3 months back), they showed me a roof carrier that was supposed to cost 9K INR, and it was not easily detachable (needed skills and screwdriver to detach/re-attach).

Any chance you post a photograph ?
Old 29th April 2016, 19:08   #2775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Folks,
Has anybody actually tried insurance-cost saving tricks of transferring NCB from previous car ? Experience of same and latest procedure would be very helpful.
BD
Hey BD,

Yes, this is possible. I have done this myself for my Ertiga. You can refer to my post on the NCB thread and posts leading up to this post to get some idea. Hope it helps!
naut is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks