Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 12:30   #3061
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Thanks Lark. I had the same problem with 190/60, they decrease the ground clearance thus negating a plus point of this car.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:16   #3062
Senior - BHPian

Running on Yoko earth1 195/60 since last 1500kms and never had issue of bottom scrapping... I guess it reduces by a cm or so but still depends on where one drives
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 16:03   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Running on Yoko earth1 195/60 since last 1500kms and never had issue of bottom scrapping... I guess it reduces by a cm or so but still depends on where one drives
Thanks a Lot , there has been a healthy number of opinions and i value them. I guess my choice will remain between stock and 195/65. I don't want to go for 190/60 as a lot of my driving takes me to Himachal from Gurgaon as my native place is Dharamshala ; I also at times drive down to kullu, manali and some rural areas.

This is the reason why i thought 195/65 would be good . If it doesn't pick you on your fuel efficiency majorly (by more than 2-3Km), then it should be ok i guess. Otherwise there is always an option to remain with Stock.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:10   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Thanks a Lot , there has been a healthy number of opinions and i value them. I guess my choice will remain between stock and 195/65. I don't want to go for 190/60 as a lot of my driving takes me to Himachal from Gurgaon as my native place is Dharamshala ; I also at times drive down to kullu, manali and some rural areas.

This is the reason why i thought 195/65 would be good . If it doesn't pick you on your fuel efficiency majorly (by more than 2-3Km), then it should be ok i guess. Otherwise there is always an option to remain with Stock.
I did not see any reduction in FE, so no complaints
Old 20th May 2017, 08:24   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an Ertiga with 100/130W bulbs installed this morning. The reflectors were half gone and headlights were darkened. Be aware of this before upgrading to 100/130W

The vehicle is primarily used in Coimbatore city traffic.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:37   #3066
Senior - BHPian

On ground clearance, a friend got ROGERAB Thermoplastic Urethane Buffer installed on the rear suspension and he is happy with it. The vehicle doesn't touch ground and its also a bit of fun in the corners.

195 60 R15 reduces the GC by a little. The stock size is the best option I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Is there any option available for a black trim. I know the limited edition is no longer available.
Yes, it's a beige fest on the regular variants.

The all black limited edition was very popular and got sold out soon. Let's hope that will compel MSIL to bring it back. And this time with Z variants.
Old 20th May 2017, 09:08   #3067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Spotted an Ertiga with 100/130W bulbs installed this morning. The reflectors were half gone and headlights were darkened. Be aware of this before upgrading to 100/130W

The vehicle is primarily used in Coimbatore city traffic.
I don't understand why people who primarily drive inside the city need such full blown setups like 130/100, aux lamps and so on. Such upgrades will simply cause trouble to the car as well as people around.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 14:08   #3068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Thanks Piyush, have you ever faced any issues like body scrapping on full load due to the fatter tyres? If not, i think this then becomes a no brainer . As i have always felt these to be optimum for ertiga as far as looks are concerned.

Just wanted to sure regarding performance and fuel efficiency.
No Such problems , ever with full load of 3 adults and 2 children. Silent ride even at highway speeds. cheers
Old 30th May 2017, 10:30   #3069
Senior - BHPian

My Ertiga ZDI with 50,000 km on odo is having few issues, need your suggestions on how to identify the root cause and fix. These are not consistently reproducible and I have a tough time with the service center explaining these to them

1. Loss of power for a very very short duration when Turbo kicks in. Happens occasionally, say once in 10 times of so. Mostly observed in second and third gears.

At the very start of the turbo pull/surge, I feel loss of power for a small time (say 1/10 second) and then turbo pulls cleanly.

I have this issue for last 3000 km or so, Service center tightened all the hoses but no luck. During our road test drives, mechanic and SA was not even able to identify it, one need a keen eye to realize it. (FYI - Service center did a EGR cleaning at 40k service by removing all components)

2. Clutch vibrations at the time of releasing clutch. Few pulsating movements are felt on the clutch pedal while releasing at the biting point. Changed clutch plate, pressure plate, fly wheel and bearing at the 40k service to escape from this vibration, but the vibrations returned in 3000 km. We reinstalled the same components again, and the vibrations went away for around 1000 km. During the re-installation we checked all the components and were found in perfect condition.

Service manager/SA/Mechanic says this is normal.

3. Car feeling under powered in hot days. I never used to feel any performance loss with Air Conditioner ON earlier, but recently I can easily notice AC load on engine and on hot days it makes the car sluggish.

I have some serious running coming in the next few months and want to fix these before.

thanks in advance
Old 30th May 2017, 11:23   #3070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Loss of power for a very very short duration when Turbo kicks in. Happens occasionally, say once in 10 times of so. Mostly observed in second and third gears.
I have experienced this few times but only when I am really heavy on that throttle pedal. Under normal driving and gradual acceleration, this never happened.

I am sure its the same for you too. However, didn't find this as an issue as that missing is felt only for less than fraction of second as you mention below.
Quote:
At the very start of the turbo pull/surge, I feel loss of power for a small time (say 1/10 second) and then turbo pulls cleanly.
Quote:
2. Clutch vibrations at the time of releasing clutch. Few pulsating movements are felt on the clutch pedal while releasing at the biting point. Changed clutch plate, pressure plate, fly wheel and bearing at the 40k service to escape from this vibration, but the vibrations returned in 3000 km. We reinstalled the same components again, and the vibrations went away for around 1000 km. During the re-installation we checked all the components and were found in perfect condition.
What I don't see here is the Clutch Slave Cylinder. Was that replaced at all? May be try it with a different slave cylinder. I suspect the release action is not happening well and hence the juddering when you take off from standstill.

Quote:
3. Car feeling under powered in hot days. I never used to feel any performance loss with Air Conditioner ON earlier, but recently I can easily notice AC load on engine and on hot days it makes the car sluggish.
Presuming that you have already replaced the Air Filter, time to check the MAF Sensor and clean that once?

New Clutch system, EGR is cleaned as well - Was the manifold cleaned when EGR Was done? I didn't during my 80K Service but did that recently for my 123k Service and it was indeed clogged as it was never cleaned before.

This has also addressed the performance issues that I was facing since few months where I replaced fuel filter suspecting bad fuel and even used additives to clean the injectors.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:47   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I have experienced this few times but only when I am really heavy on that throttle pedal. Under normal driving and gradual acceleration, this never happened.

I am sure its the same for you too. However, didn't find this as an issue as that missing is felt only for less than fraction of second as you mention below.
Thanks Parag. These are the same iasues i wanted to show you in person. The problem is that it happens even during normal driving and so often to remind me that something is not correct.

Quote:
What I don't see here is the Clutch Slave Cylinder. Was that replaced at all? May be try it with a different slave cylinder. I suspect the release action is not happening well and hence the juddering when you take off from standstill.
No, slave cylinder is not replaced, and the issue is very pronounced during city stop and go traffic. Will check slave cylinder next time.

Quote:

Presuming that you have already replaced the Air Filter, time to check the MAF Sensor and clean that once?

New Clutch system, EGR is cleaned as well - Was the manifold cleaned when EGR Was done? I didn't during my 80K Service but did that recently for my 123k Service and it was indeed clogged as it was never cleaned before.
Sure, will try cleaning tge MAF sensor and manifold in the upcoming service, but why do you think AC load is linked to these? I

Last edited by arjithin : 30th May 2017 at 11:50.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:59   #3072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but why do you think AC load is linked to these? I
I just missed responding to this piece.

First check the air flow with only the AC Fan in operation and not the AC. Check if there is sufficient (and expected) flow from all the vents at different speeds of the Fan (1-2-3-4). This will help you isolate clogged AC/Pollen Filter or Fan system since a clogged AC filter can also reduce the amount of Air sent out from the vents even when the AC is working hard.

You can access the AC filter behind the Glovebox and check yourself. I have a habit of replacing this every 10,000 kms and have never faced cooling issues till date and I always drive with AC on all the times.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:11   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just missed responding to this piece.

First check the air flow with only the AC Fan in operation and not the AC. Check if there is sufficient (and expected) flow from all the vents at different speeds of the Fan (1-2-3-4). This will help you isolate clogged AC/Pollen Filter or Fan system since a clogged AC filter can also reduce the amount of Air sent out from the vents even when the AC is working hard.

You can access the AC filter behind the Glovebox and check yourself. I have a habit of replacing this every 10,000 kms and have never faced cooling issues till date and I always drive with AC on all the times.
I changed the pollen filter less than 500 km back myslelf and havent observed any issues with the airflow or cooling efficiency of AC. Are you thinking a blocked ac filter may be forcing the AC unit to work harder?
Old 30th May 2017, 12:16   #3074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you thinking a blocked ac filter may be forcing the AC unit to work harder?
Yes, this was my exact thought. Nothing to do with working hard. It must be working as usual but the cooling effect isn't felt inside the cabin and when you are driving under hot sun, that feeling grips you hinting you that the AC is weak and so is the car while you keep sweating.

But what makes you say that the AC Is working Harder? And if you are relating this to performance of your vehicle, how is it when the AC is switched off?

Additionally, make sure to check the AC Condensor fins behind the Bumper for dead insects covering the area restricting the natural air to hit the fins. Good practice to spray pressurized water from a distance (such that pressure itself doesn't damage the fins) regularly.

What I am trying to suggest here is a step-by-step elimination - I won't even refer to AC Gas pressure 'et al at this stage till the basics are verified.
Old 30th May 2017, 13:06   #3075
BHPian

Quote:
I have experienced this few times but only when I am really heavy on that throttle pedal. Under normal driving and gradual acceleration, this never happened..
This is the exact issue I'm facing in my car as well (Sx4 Diesel, 75K kms). Post 2500 RPM, there is a slight chocking for a fraction of a second and then its pull fine.

Already I've replaced the the Air-filter, Fuel-Filter, still the problem remains.

Please let us know, if case you are able to resolve the persists.

Last edited by amitpunjani : 30th May 2017 at 13:07. Reason: typo

Most Viewed