Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 04:15   #3151
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
Something which I have noticed for some time is that the Tailgate of the Ertiga is paper thin. You don't get this feeling with the doors, especially the front ones which are quite heavy. However whenever you close the tailgate it sounds incredibly tinny and flimsy.
Yes, that is true. But while I do agree that the tailgate is thinner compared to the doors, I feel that the 'flimsy' feeling is sometimes amplified due to the number plate. The plates provided by the dealer for our Ertiga were of the really flimsy metal type , and so whenever the boot shut they used to make an irritating tinny rattling sound. Do check if it is the same in your case as well.

Regards,
Yash
Yash98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 09:49   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something which I have noticed for some time is that the Tailgate of the Ertiga is paper thin. You don't get this feeling with the doors, especially the front ones which are quite heavy. However whenever you close the tailgate it sounds incredibly tinny and flimsy.
Yes, the tailgate is not built well. The sheet metal gets deformed quite easily. And it is very evident if you observe the area around the rear number plate. There will be a slight fold which will be more pronounced in the older cars.

I was wondering how most Ertigas on road had a slight dent at exactly the same place and then I got it. Most people close the boot by holding on the tailgate door and not by using the slot inside on the boot trim. And the dent is caused when the person closing the tailgate pulls the door down to close against the force exerted by the boot struts.

The folds will be as shown in the pic below. Please excuse the crude job in Paint. The side will depend on where you place the hand to close the tailgate most often. I have seen it more on the right side.
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-2015marutisuzukiertigafaceliftofficialpics5.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 12:00   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash98 View Post
Yes, that is true. But while I do agree that the tailgate is thinner compared to the doors, I feel that the 'flimsy' feeling is sometimes amplified due to the number plate. The plates provided by the dealer for our Ertiga were of the really flimsy metal type , and so whenever the boot shut they used to make an irritating tinny rattling sound. Do check if it is the same in your case as well.

Regards,
Yash
Thanks Yash, that's an interesting insight and I would definitely check it out. Yes! the plates are fimsy and the sound could be due to them as well.

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2017 at 11:27.
Old 10th September 2017, 14:53   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Now this happened with my ertiga vxi 2016 today. I started getting some friction sound from right rear tyre side. I made sure that the spare tyre is tightly fixed in position and toolkit too. Everything was perfectly tight in place so rushed to service center nearby. They assumed this is due to mud accumulation around suspension but that was ruled out soon. Today I visited them again and they confirmed that as rear suspension issue and entire assembly needs a replacement since it comes as a single part now a days.
This will be done under warranty and according to them this issue is more common with swifts and not ertigas. So I have some questions
1. Does this type if problem really happen so early? My ertiga is 11 months old and just crossed 10K this month. It will be surprizing to see such issue with very lightly loaded vehicle with 3 people all the times and mostly only good roads are driven on. (Very less in Bangalore )

2. Whatever the service center guy said but are there any real such examples with swift or ertiga?

3. Or has Maruti really gone down with quality?

Moreover the service person said it will not cause any issue if driven like that but will be irritating with the sound coming. Are we sure about this with any unexpected friction in suspensions?

My take is to get it replaced ASAP since it is covered under warrenty. Any expert comments please.
Old 10th September 2017, 20:13   #3155
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Yash
Yes, I had the same issue on my vehicle as well. The problem is that there is no cushioning between the number plate and the door sheet metal. I fixed it by removing the number plate and sticking foam sheets to it.
Old 11th September 2017, 07:46   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Today I visited them again and they confirmed that as rear suspension issue and entire assembly needs a replacement since it comes as a single part now a days.
What exactly do they mean when they refer to entire assembly? Is that rear struts alone or even the rear suspension beam?
Quote:
1. Does this type if problem really happen so early?
Definitely not. Haven't come across any in the recent past, from new Ertigas.

Quote:
2. Whatever the service center guy said but are there any real such examples with swift or ertiga?
The only instance where they had issued recall on earlier occasion was in 2014 - For Swift, DZire and Ertiga where they replaced the entire suspension beam (rear) that costed 13,XXX then free-of-cost. However, this was applicable based on certain VIN cut-off criteria.

You can refer to that post here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3464469
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 08:38   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What exactly do they mean when they refer to entire assembly? Is that rear struts alone or even the rear suspension beam?
Yes, he mentioned about the entire rear suspension beam (~12K Rs.). I need to take his word for this since not fully aware of the problem. How can I judge if he has found the problem correctly? This is Pratham Motors service center on ORR, Bangalore where they told me all this.
Since it is covered under warranty I do not have to spend anything. Are there any other alternatives?
Old 11th September 2017, 12:40   #3158
BHPian

My take is to get it replaced ASAP since it is covered under warrenty. Any expert comments please.

To be honest never heard of anything going Kaput so fast on the Ertiga. I have heard about some issues with swifts but to be honest even they were mostly diesel swifts.

Could be a One off case , however please make sure that they explain the entire process to you completely. Is it entire rear suspension or some parts that they want to replace? Somehow these days I am not too satisfied by MASS as everybody there seems to be in a tearing hurry due to the workload.

Last edited by Shwet : 11th September 2017 at 12:42.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:01   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My take is to get it replaced ASAP since it is covered under warrenty.
They have placed order for the same but I need to wait for 10-12 days to get it here. Surprised enough I am also not able to believe their comments but the noise is pretty much there when I am on uneven surface and moving slowly.
Anyways I will check on entire process and explanation they give me during the replacement and update here.
Old 12th September 2017, 07:37   #3160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Surprised enough I am also not able to believe their comments but the noise is pretty much there when I am on uneven surface and moving slowly.
This part that they are referring is common for Ertiga, Swift and the previous gen Dzire. Not sure why they have to take so many days to source the part.

Take the part number from your ASC, call up one of the many MGP outlets and ask if they have this part available - Trust me, this is a fast moving part and gets replaced - Accidents 'et al.

Also, regarding the noise, can you explain a little more on that please? The earlier recall was limited and had to do with a noise cause when going over speedbreakers or potholes. The reason was the angle of the welding done on the suspension beam (as per the ASC then whom I has asked).

I never faced this till now and I have hardly heard from my friends who drive talk about this.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 08:46   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This part that they are referring is common for Ertiga, Swift and the previous gen Dzire. Not sure why they have to take so many days to source the part.

Take the part number from your ASC, call up one of the many MGP outlets and ask if they have this part available - Trust me, this is a fast moving part and gets replaced - Accidents 'et al.

Also, regarding the noise, can you explain a little more on that please? The earlier recall was limited and had to do with a noise cause when going over speedbreakers or potholes. The reason was the angle of the welding done on the suspension beam (as per the ASC then whom I has asked).

I never faced this till now and I have hardly heard from my friends who drive talk about this.
Imagine how it will sound if the spare tyre fitment is loose. There is a bolt that holds the spare tyre bracket under the chassis for Ertiga. If that is bit loose on every rough patch including potholes or speed breaker you will hear some metal brushing sound. That's the best way I can describe it
Also I could hear it inside cabin if I go slowly on rough or unbalanced surface. The service guy asked some people standing outside while making a turn on uneven surface about the noise and they too confirmed. This was pointed out by my brother in law in Goa when I was there week before last.
This is not loud noise and hence goes unnoticed when you are at 30KMPH or so. Only on slow movements you can hear that.
Very much confused yet if the problem is detected correctly or not. As suggested by you will get it checked with other service center (Bimal?) as well over coming weekend and if they have that part will get it replaced as well.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:50   #3162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine how it will sound if the spare tyre fitment is loose.
This is very much in line with the sound that the ASC had described earlier for which they has issued this silent recall in 2014 through a circular.
Quote:
As suggested by you will get it checked with other service center (Bimal?) as well over coming weekend and if they have that part will get it replaced as well.
Your description of the noise somehow matches the noise the ASC had explained to me earlier for which they were replacing the suspension beam. But that was limited to vehicles with VIN cut-off mentioned earlier. I am surprised how this can crop-up in your car which is 2016 Model.

So please get a second assessment done - May be if you can, on a weekday, drop in to EC (Surakshaa) and I will be around as my workplace is located very close to this and get this checked.

Else, if Koramangala works for you, you can visit their other service center and get that checked too and then I can talk to the folks here and understand what exactly is the issue.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:12   #3163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Else, if Koramangala works for you, you can visit their other service center and get that checked too and then I can talk to the folks here and understand what exactly is the issue.
I think this is better choice since my experience with Surakshaa is good. Will try to visit them this week, worst case Saturday and get it analyzed. Will let you know about the details.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:32   #3164
BHPian

Hi guys, I have been facing a problem recently with the rear view mirrors on my Ertiga. I feel that the blind spot is extremely large and it is often difficult to view the left most lane on wide highways like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway while changing lanes. I was planning to get blind spot mirrors to solve this problem. Has anyone else faced a similar problem and is there a simpler way to solve it???
Old 13th September 2017, 07:29   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I have been facing a problem recently with the rear view mirrors on my Ertiga. I feel that the blind spot is extremely large and it is often difficult to view the left most lane on wide highways like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway while changing lanes. I was planning to get blind spot mirrors to solve this problem. Has anyone else faced a similar problem and is there a simpler way to solve it???
Blind spots are there in every vehicle and we feel it grows in size as the size of the vehicle grows.

I have installed cheap 100 Rs blind spot mirrors from day 1 and they work beautifully. I used good quality 3M double sided tapes (not the tapes that has come with the mirrors) and the mirrors hold up
well even after 2.5 years.

The biggest advantage of these mirrors is to spot 2 wheelers who are next to you in city traffic.

If you plan to buy one, get the ones which can be adjusted.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks