Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 11:06   #16
BHPian

Re: The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congratulations Adi. Love this colour on the Scorp. Wish you miles of happiness.

Few questions :

1. Did you opt for the extended warranty?
2. Any specific reason you chose the Hawkz A/T over the Yoko's? How do you find these on the highways and bad stretches?
3. May be the reclining option is not there on a Seven seater? Guys who own the SLE variant with a 7 Seater can confirm this.

Please do post more pics. We can never get tired looking at this beast.

I can vouch for that.
Hey! man, thanks for your wishes.
  1. No I did not go for the extended warranty.
  2. When I inquired about the tyre type/brand that I would be getting, the Mahindra showroom guys were just blank. They said that on the Lx variant the make keeps changing with the OE. You cannot really choose.
  3. The Apollo HawkZ seems fine at present have driven 2600 kms so far most of them on the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway. Will really be able to have an opinion once I undertake my Rajasthan roadtrip.
And just to tell you that your SCORP looks amazing in the snowy pics on your Leh trip post. My dream is to take my beast there once.
Old 29th April 2012, 17:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
I did not go for the extended warranty
I would suggest to take the extended warranty. You might never know what could conk after 2 years. Its better to invest 10K and have a peace of mind for the initial 4 years.

Quote:
And just to tell you that your SCORP looks amazing in the snowy pics on your Leh trip post. My dream is to take my beast there once.
Thank you. Hope you realize your dream soon.

Cheers
Avi
Old 4th May 2012, 21:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey! man, thanks for your wishes.
  1. No I did not go for the extended warranty.
  2. When I inquired about the tyre type/brand that I would be getting, the Mahindra showroom guys were just blank. They said that on the Lx variant the make keeps changing with the OE. You cannot really choose.
  3. The Apollo HawkZ seems fine at present have driven 2600 kms so far most of them on the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway. Will really be able to have an opinion once I undertake my Rajasthan roadtrip.
ADI congratulations on your new buy. Though its nearly two months since this Gladiator became yours, I do not know how I missed this thread.
I had insisted on getting my Scorpio in Mist silver colour with Bridgestone tyres and an Amaron battery. The dealer was kind enough to accommodate all my wishes.
True, the extended warranty is not worth it, unless the SUV is being extensively used and one is employing a driver for duties.Self driven ones are handled with all the TLC and more so a teambhpian takes utmost care.
What about the turbo lag? It is at its peak in the 2200- 2500 rpm range. Deceleration and even if the 3rd gear is engaged are recipes for turbo lag. But the problem is almost gone and is at its bare minimum after crossing about 5000 kms.
The engagement of 2/3 gear as you say is a bit problematic. But even this will cease after some more running. Please also get it checked during the next servicing.One problem that continues to persist is the noise during the engagement of the reverse gear. Even now, after three years this problem persists. It is common I believe with nearly all Scorpios.
As far as 4WD is concerned, the Scorpios on this 16,000 km run were also 2WD's, so we lesser human beings with 2 WD's can also scale the Himalayas.

The link is here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2011-a-3.html
Old 5th May 2012, 00:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, the extended warranty is not worth it, unless the SUV is being extensively used and one is employing a driver for duties.Self driven ones are handled with all the TLC and more so a teambhpian takes utmost care.
Hi Anjan,ADI,

Apologies if I am throwing my opinion in! It is always better to go for the extended warranty with Scorpio. Having owned two of them, I will vouch for the extended warranty and how it can really keep your maintenance bills down!
Old 5th May 2012, 21:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Adi
congrats on your buy. am also contemplating on buying a budget SUV soon. Lx is high on the list. i really wish they had provided a arm rest for the front seats and in the door pads. even the safari LX comes with it. is there an option for the 3rd row seating to be front facing in the LX ?

do go for the extended warranty if its just 10k and does not come with too many exclusions. i did this mistake when i bought my i10 2 yrs back. immediately after the std warranty the ac coil conked off and i shelled out 5k for a new one.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Hi Adi
i really wish they had provided a arm rest for the front seats and in the door pads. even the safari LX comes with it. is there an option for the 3rd row seating to be front facing in the LX ?
Thanks Narayan, No the Lx does not have option for 3rd row front facing seats. You can choose from either 7 seater or 9 seater with jumper seats at the back. The front row arm rest is not fittable as after market, have already inquired at few places. But honestly I do not miss these when I drive my beast. I would suggest you go for the SLE variant which will include ABS & 3rd row front facing seats.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th May 2012 at 07:02. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Narayan, No the Lx does not have option for 3rd row front facing seats. You can choose from either 7 seater or 9 seater with jumper seats at the back. The front row arm rest is not fittable as after market, have already inquired at few places. But honestly I do not miss these when I drive my beast. I would suggest you go for the SLE variant which will include ABS & 3rd row front facing seats.
Isnt it really uncomfortable on long drives without an arm rest ? also the door pad in the LX is extremely basis without any arm rest/door pockets. really sad M&M is keeping the LX so basic especially when the safari LX is much better from the inside. anyway i just want to wait it out for the duster/new safari also
Old 6th May 2012, 21:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Isnt it really uncomfortable on long drives without an arm rest ? also the door pad in the LX is extremely basis without any arm rest/door pockets.
I tried out the Safari Lx before deciding on the SCORPIO, believe me it all depends on your driving habit, On long drives I feel the SCORPIO has a better driver positioning and the tiltable steering is a great feature, and No I do not miss the arm rest. Although the door pockets would have been useful. In city driving I found the SCORPIO more responsive even in low gear shifts, and very easy to handle compared to the Safari. On the highways both have proven track record. All in all the SCORPIO in its segment is one SUV that has a great following.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th May 2012 at 04:55. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:55   #24
BHPian

Hi Adi. I am on the verge of buying a scorpio (not sure if i like the yet to be launched duster) and am keen on the LX variant. Have you been able to compare the braking with the ABS variant. How significantly does ABS aid braking on the Scorpio? Is it drastically better with ABS?

This is the only feature for which i might consider the SLE variant.
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:03   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If you are buying a Scorpio in 2012, I would sincerely suggest please buy the version which has the essential safety kit. You may compromise on Airbags if required but certainly NOT on ABS. The Scorpio is a large and wallowy beast. It is a really top heavy vehicle too and you can just imagine hurtling about in 2.6 tons of metal on our Indian highways, with a bunch of weak brakes to (hopefully on a wing and a prayer), enable you to come to a standstill in time, from a relatively high speed!
While the engine is responsive, the low end torque is great and it has an amazing ability to munch miles etc, its braking and handling are two serious points of consideration. I owned the non ABS version for four years and frankly I would if possible, never want to drive one again on the highway or in the city, its that dangerous. Dont forget the extremely light weight power steering which has been set up for city use. It provides little or no feedback or precision to the driver and is so light that the vehicle is quite capable of attempting strange side winder like movements if one twiddles or twaddles the wheel. Of course, when such a heavy vehicle is heading in one direction and one twaddles or twiddles the wheel suddenly, causing it to attempt to go in another direction, something's just gotta give! In this case, you will typically experience the queer sensation of being in a boxy edifice or tall building which is slowly and inexorably toppling! Given the highly unpredictable nature of our roads, the increasing speeds at which the majority of the general populace are hurtling about in randomly self propelled bits and bobs of metal and rubber while going about their businesses, (legit or otherwise); regular blokes like us who dont mean anyone any harm and who wish to protect ourselves and our families, must necessarily buy cars which are loaded with safety kit! Lastly, please do not drive the Scorpio the way you would, a low slung sports sedan. It isnt capable of such things. Respect what it was made for and use it accordingly and you have got a decent, hugely capacious, working mans vehicle which is tough as nails.
One more thing, without prejudice; the Duster is likely to be far better in handling and in general better designed, more ergonomic, efficient and as capable on account of its nature of being built to a purpose by guys who have had a longer history of making vehicles to a higher spec level.
Check it out before you plunge into the Scorpio because in todays world you might as well go for something more modern and at the beginning of its product lifecycle rather than a ten year old cosmetically upgraded design, which has basic flaws in it - in the modern 2012 context!

Im not pooh- pooh- ing the Scorpio. I loved it when I owned it. But in the modern world it just doesn't cut it any more from the angles of safety, handling and ergonomics, fit, finish and finesse.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd June 2012 at 07:22.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 10:31   #26
BHPian

Hi! Guys,

Got my first FREE service done last week. Had to wait for almost an hour for my vehicle to be taken in at the ASC. Infact I had called them two days in advance to prebook my service, but strangely they just asked me to be there by 9:00 am. And when I reached the ASC at sharp 9 am got to know that there are about 10 other vehicles (mostly Bolero Pickups, Xylo cabs) ahead of me.

The following niggles were resolved:
1. Rear back door handle jamming problem.
2. Odometer plastic cover vibrating.
3. Wheel alignment - this would be done during the next service

Inquired about the aeriel which is still not available for the Lx.

After the service the engine sounds more refined, the gears have eased up considerably (shifting from 2nd to 3rd) The odo is now at 5400 kms.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Hi Adi. I am on the verge of buying a scorpio (not sure if i like the yet to be launched duster) and am keen on the LX variant. Have you been able to compare the braking with the ABS variant. How significantly does ABS aid braking on the Scorpio? Is it drastically better with ABS?

This is the only feature for which i might consider the SLE variant.
Firstly my apologies for the late response. We'll the big question ABS or not. it all depends on your budget and your driving style. The Lx comes without the ABS and this does not make this a unsafe vehicle at all. The PS is definetely very responsive and you feel in complete control even at 120 kmph. The braking on my SCORP is quite effective and I have checked this on the highways at 110 kmph and also during the recent monsoon. I always wanted the Lx variant in spanky green (rocky beige) as this looks different from the league. Did not want the side claddings.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly my apologies for the late response. We'll the big question ABS or not. it all depends on your budget and your driving style. The Lx comes without the ABS and this does not make this a unsafe vehicle at all. The PS is definetely very responsive and you feel in complete control even at 120 kmph. The braking on my SCORP is quite effective and I have checked this on the highways at 110 kmph and also during the recent monsoon. I always wanted the Lx variant in spanky green (rocky beige) as this looks different from the league. Did not want the side claddings.
Thanks Adi - this helps. I checked out the duster yest - was very disappointed - so its a choice between the LX or SLE now
Old 16th October 2012, 20:30   #29
BHPian

My beast has clocked close to 9000kms, recent observations

Squeaks when moving over soft bumpy roads, not been able to identify the originating point, seems to be coming from somewhere under the dashboard.
A mild 'tong' sound from the front suspension when I allow it to roll over speed breakers.
Old 18th March 2013, 20:00   #30
BHPian

Completed ONE year of proud ownership last week.

Got the third final FREE service done
- Engine Oil & filter change.
- Odometer cover vibration @ 2K rpm finally resolved.
- Rear Cabin light switch problem corrected.

I am looking on upgrading the headlamps (suggest what best is available)

The next day we headed towards the beckoning highway to Udaipur for a quick power break over the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far-dsc_6322.jpg  

The Gladiator - My Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 2.2 LX - The Story so far-dsc_6321.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks