Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 02:28   #31
BHPian

re: Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*

congratulation for the new bimmer. I must say Black + CB looks the meanest
I just wanted to ask if you are facing any issues with the ground clearance of the car & how are the RFTs performing ?
Old 6th July 2012, 22:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
If you intend to use the car for more than 60k kms, the BSI package is worth it, there are many BMW owners here who would vouch for it. Also BSI does not cover tires.

All the best and happy motoring!
@VSD- Congratulations ! As Maverick mention above, I am certainly am a BMW owner that will vouch for the BSI pack. I am sure most others will too. Especially since your usage is high, it would be a no-brainer for you to opt for it, you will save, a lot ! Besides, don't take my word for it, peep into Mavericks profile and you will know that no one can give you better advice on BMW's than him !

I am not sure what the difference is between the BSI plus and ultimate as when I got mine, almost 5 years ago, there was only one BSI all inclusive pack.

My BSI is almost coming to an end, but so is my tenure with my car, I wouldn't mind getting an extending BSI pack if it helps me better resale.
@Maverick- I was told that there are extending BSI packs too, can you shed some info on this?
It might just make sense keeping the car for a few more years if resale value is very bad. In that case I might pull off an overhaul covered under BSI, now thats a sweet value deal
Old 7th July 2012, 08:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@VSD- Congratulations ! As Maverick mention above, I am certainly am a BMW owner that will vouch for the BSI pack. I am sure most others will too. Especially since your usage is high, it would be a no-brainer for you to opt for it, you will save, a lot ! Besides, don't take my word for it, peep into Mavericks profile and you will know that no one can give you better advice on BMW's than him !

I am not sure what the difference is between the BSI plus and ultimate as when I got mine, almost 5 years ago, there was only one BSI all inclusive pack.

My BSI is almost coming to an end, but so is my tenure with my car, I wouldn't mind getting an extending BSI pack if it helps me better resale.
@Maverick- I was told that there are extending BSI packs too, can you shed some info on this?
It might just make sense keeping the car for a few more years if resale value is very bad. In that case I might pull off an overhaul covered under BSI, now thats a sweet value deal

Hi Sahil, thank you for the kind words! You saved around 35k yesterday to get the rear brakes overhauled!

Well the BSI package for a high miler car really is a no-brainer, No approvals needed from the customer, whatever service are due are covered and complete peace of mind for 3/5 years depending on the package.

BSI Plus stands only for service. All the service repairs for 3/5 years are covered in it, but no extended warranty coverage. Not really worth it when compared to the BSI Ultimate which is all inclusive.

There are BSI extensions available but they do not make commercial sense as for your car it would now cost around 1.5 to 2 lakhs for only 1 year maximum.
So make the most of it while it lasts.

Also the BSI prices will be revised w.e.f. 1st August 2012, and only going higher.

Cheers!

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 7th July 2012 at 08:49.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post

Also the BSI prices will be revised w.e.f. 1st August 2012, and only going higher.

Cheers!
Is there any official confirmation regarding the same ? And how much increase are we talking about based on the past trends,etc ?
Old 7th July 2012, 11:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
Is there any official confirmation regarding the same ? And how much increase are we talking about based on the past trends,etc ?
No official information is released regarding such changes. We just get an internal info to clear any pending BSI cases in the pipeline. You can confirm the same with your dealer.

No idea on what the changes would be like.
Old 28th December 2013, 10:49   #36
VSD
BHPian

Updating this thread after a long time now.
Today marks the beginning of third year of ownership and i am planning to treat my car with new set of tires.

I am stuck deciding what tires to get as this will be my first time sourcing for tires from outside vendors. I am thinking of going non-rft for the first time, the car is not used for long journeys anymore.

A few options i found till now:

225/55 17 - stock size
Dunlop/goodyear- 12,500
Pirelli- 17,000
Michelin- 19,000

I was wondering if i could upsize an inch and get some new wheels too. Would it make the ride too harsh? (Mostly used in the city now)

Got a few options for those tires too.

235 40 18 dunlop - 15,000 each
245 40 18 - pirelli - 20,000 each
245 40 18 / 275 35 18 dunlop - 17,500 /19,000

There is a taiwanese brand called sonar which i've never heard of. The dealer was praising the performance and mentioned he has been installing them on the likes of C63 amg and recently on another 530d. The price is very reasonable but i am still not sure if i shud go for them. Has anyone tried them or know someone who has?

Lots of questions and even more confusion. Fellow bhpians, please help me out here.
Thanks
VSD
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 11:51   #37
Team-BHP Support

You can get 18s without an issue, but since they are lower profile you will have to be careful with big bumps, potholes etc.

You can get 245/45 R18 all around. 245/40 is not the perfect upsize. Not too many choices but this will be pricey.

Avoid the Chinese/Taiwanese brands.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 23:52   #38
VSD
BHPian

A few wheels options that i could find in 18" size with 245/45 R18 tires.

These AC schnitzer style wheels. They are nice but nothing so spectacular as such.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-1239487_634659009900992_1955562471_n.jpg

These are official BMW wheels, they look good too.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-1460020_679453415421551_1683910989_n.jpg

I like this wheel design, its simple and i like 5-spoke wheels.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-img_9699.jpeg

I like this wheel too, though i would prefer it in brushed look instead of gloss black.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-703..18x8.0..19x8.59.5..jpg

What do you think guys?

I am still trying to find more wheels options, though not many options available in 18 and 19 inches. Does anyone know where i can find good options in and around Delhi.
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 00:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I am still trying to find more wheels options, though not many options available in 18 and 19 inches. Does anyone know where i can find good options in and around Delhi.
Check out Sai Mag Wheels for your requirement. But yes, they deal only in HR (HRS), Taiwan Alloys which I've recommended because they have a certain range of Alloys specifically designed keeping in mind the BMW Design Philosophy and might suit your requirement. Otherwise, you always have the option of choosing a design and asking them to import the same. Sai Mag Wheels is in Rama Road Industrial Area, New Delhi.

Other than them, BK Tyres, Lajpat Nagar might be able to help you with Alloy Wheel options.

Taiwanese Brands such as HR(HRS) are tried and tested on our roads and do stay away from Alloy Wheel Brands for whom you don't find any reviews online.

Last edited by tsk13 : 30th December 2013 at 00:14.
tsk13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 10:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
A few wheels options that i could find in 18" size with 245/45 R18 tires.

I like this wheel design, its simple and i like 5-spoke wheels.

What do you think guys?
I liked this one. It will go well your black color car. The one with red ring will not match the looks of your car as there is nowhere red color on your car to compliment it.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:54   #41
VSD
BHPian

40,000 km Update.

Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-image_5.jpg

Completed another milestone today, without any issues and still loving it as i did on Day 1. It has gone with me to many places and back, be it tackling the corners on hilly drives of Shimla/Mussoorie, to tackling highways all over Rajasthan and not to forget keeping me comfortable around our snail paced city traffic.

Only issues faced so far have been with the dealership people. The quality of service has gone way down compared to other companies and also how it used to be back in the day. They don't respond to queries and couldn't care less about after-sales experience.
I had recently sent the car for service and it took them 3 days to do that even after promising the car for next day and it happens every time it's gone for any kind of work at the workshop. They don't pick your calls or revert back to you. etc etc.

Overall, the car is loads of fun and no complaints with the product. Even though there are a few bad experiences every once in a while at the workshop, I think i'll still like to own BMW's as long as they keep pasting a smile on my face when you drive them.

A quick picture taken today. A day at the spa is booked for next week to celebrate this milestone for the car, will post more pictures right after.
[ATTACH]1220038[/ATTACH
Attached Thumbnails
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-image.jpg  

VSD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 12:48   #42
VSD
BHPian

A long pending update. The car has already clocked 49873 kms till now and will be completing the next milestone of 50k kms in a day or two.

I got new euro style plates made for the car. The old ones had started to change into yellow taxi style plates.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-img_3094.jpg

A pic of the car with the new plates on.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-img_4270.jpg

The car has been completely faultless in the mechanical part with only issues being few scrapes here and there plus windshield chipping twice in 3 years. It's much more reliable than our old bimmer, which had it's share of niggles.

Something strange that i noticed today is that my car is again showing service required sign, while i got it serviced at 38633 kms. Why does my car start calling for a service in 10000 km intervals. I have already got 4 services done in 3 years of ownership. I called the service center and they said it is because of my driving style. According to the service adviser the car automatically adjust the service intervals and flashes them if and when needed. Is that true? I don't recall that happening with any other car we have.
VSD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:16   #43
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

Something strange that i noticed today is that my car is again showing service required sign, while i got it serviced at 38633 kms. Why does my car start calling for a service in 10000 km intervals. I have already got 4 services done in 3 years of ownership. I called the service center and they said it is because of my driving style. According to the service adviser the car automatically adjust the service intervals and flashes them if and when needed. Is that true? I don't recall that happening with any other car we have.
BMW cars have "Condition based service". It is indeed your driving style which is asking the car for a service earlier then required. Since you have the BSI, just enjoy the car and dont worry about the servicing bit.

PS :- A fellow Bhpain got the first service of the 328 done almost with 2 years of driving.
bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:57   #44
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
BMW cars have "Condition based service". It is indeed your driving style which is asking the car for a service earlier then required. Since you have the BSI, just enjoy the car and dont worry about the servicing bit.

PS :- A fellow Bhpain got the first service of the 328 done almost with 2 years of driving.
Thanks for the info. I do not have the BSI but I'm still enjoying the car as much as i can. No wonder I've already replaced two sets of pads and now it's time for new discs too. I should probably try and change my driving style now though it's very difficult in a car with an engine like this .

I think it's the powerful engine to blame here which gets used to the max. Compared to this our Audi Q5 (2.0TDI) managed 36k on one set of pads. The service blokes were insisting that i should run them further as they still had some life left in them.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:05   #45
VSD
BHPian

Latest Update: Car Sold
After completing 53003 KMs and 39 months of ownership, the car has now been sold to an associate of ours. He had an eye on the car for a while and he somehow convinced me to to part with it. This car gave me no issues at all and was still running good, but i know it's gone in good hands and will be taken care of as well.

The last day with my car, i miss it now that it's gone.
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-img_6371.jpg

Last parting shot ;(
Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*-img_6370.jpg

I've had mixed feelings since i sold the car, makes me sad because i miss it and also excited because now it's time to upgrade to a new one.

I've been looking for a replacement of 525d, believe it or not, I can't find a decent enough car in the similar price range now. So, this brings me to the question, WHAT CAR ?

The 3litre engine i have been used to all this while isn't available anywhere below 70 Lacs. I think i should look at some used cars maybe, anyone have any suggestions of what i should go for?
My average usage comes to about 10k kms per year and tops two people in the car at most times. So, i don't see the point of buying huge sedans ans they are pointless as self driven cars. Any suggestions for what car shall i go for which has a decent engine but doesn't cost a bomb for no damn reason.
VSD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed