Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2013, 20:24   #76

re: Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!

Hey Newtonmeter,

I really like your attention to detail and the efforts you have put to keep your car the way it is . I have recently bouhght a new 2013 volkswagen vento in june and i am realy in love with the car. Volkswagen has included a rcd 320 in the car and i would really love to upgrade it to RCD 510. However i have the following doubts.

1. Can we replace the Rcd 320 with the 510 ( will the pins/sockets match)
2. Will there be any voltage fluctuations after the upgrade (if possible)
3. Will steering mounted controls work after the upgrade.
4. Will this include the bluetooth module
5. If the bluetooth module is included how can we position the mic??

I know these are too many questions but just intruged and excited
kvytla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 07:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvytla View Post
Hey Newtonmeter, I really like your attention to detail and the efforts you have put to keep your car the way it is . I have recently bouhght a new 2013 volkswagen vento in june and i am realy in love with the car. Volkswagen has included a rcd 320 in the car and i would really love to upgrade it to RCD 510. However i have the following doubts. 1. Can we replace the Rcd 320 with the 510 ( will the pins/sockets match) 2. Will there be any voltage fluctuations after the upgrade (if possible) 3. Will steering mounted controls work after the upgrade. 4. Will this include the bluetooth module 5. If the bluetooth module is included how can we position the mic?? I know these are too many questions but just intruged and excited
Sorry for replying late. Was out if country

1. Not sure as I didnt get the 320 pin diagram:( check with a informed SA at VW 2. No 3. Yes 4. No, you need to buy a Bluetooth module separately. ( 9w7 or older 9w2) 5. Mic will come with the Bluetooth module touted through the passenger a pillar to the front map lights

If you decide to go for 510, make sure it's non-Chinese make.

Last edited by newtonMeter : 13th August 2013 at 07:54.
Old 4th September 2013, 10:56   #78
BHPian

Latest state!

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-1.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-2.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-3.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-4.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-5.jpg
Old 19th November 2013, 13:14   #79
BHPian

Car is looking great newtonMeter! A good RCD510 swap as well. However, I fail to understand your reasons to "avoid chinese make". I was researching online and I failed to understand the difference between the two just that one is made in portugal (Bosch) and the other in China (Delphi). And if at all you think of inferior quality do note that the Delphi units are used in VW's across North America so the quality cannot be sub-standard. Even iPhones are assembled in China.

Bosch from what I have learned can offer the following:
- RDS (which I don't think is of much use in India)
- Super bluetooth functionality (full compatibility for 9w7+ higher BT modules which make display of full on-screen dialer, contact list, call logs & text messages on the screen)
- No direct compatibilty for USB (MDI is required)
- Marginally more expensive.

On the other hand the Delphi unit offers:
- No RDS
- Basic BT module support (9w2 - AD2P streaming, basic calling and being able to use steering button for call answer/reject)
- USB & Aux functinality without requirement of separate MDI
- You can get the RVC compatible version for much lesser than a standard Bosch unit.

Now I also read around that there is a difference in the outputs, the EU one is superior apparently, now to what extent that is true is yet unknown. But I can't believe that it could be a sub-standard product for American market compared to EU.

I'm not trying to defend the Delphi unit just because I recently got one for my Polo GT but I actually couldn't really justify spending the extra just for the "Made in Portugal" tag. I got in touch with a chinese supplier for VW Shanghai and got my whole set up including RCD510 Unit, Bluetooth module, wiring harness', adapters, relays, even a new cabin light panel with dedicated microphone housing. And I believe I got a really sweet deal.

Will get it installed soon as and when I find the time. The only screw up is the new Polo's & Vento's are coming with the RCD320 which is a non-CANBUS HU (have got a converter cable/adaptor for the same) and although it has basic bluetooth functionality, I'm pretty certain that it doesn't have a seperate module for the same (read: 9w2), So that needs to be installed under the passanger seat or perhaps behind the Climate Control.

Last edited by n:CorE : 19th November 2013 at 13:16.
Old 19th November 2013, 22:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Car is looking great newtonMeter! A good RCD510 swap as well. However, I fail to understand your reasons to "avoid chinese make". I was researching online and I failed to understand the difference between the two just that one is made in portugal (Bosch) and the other in China (Delphi). And if at all you think of inferior quality do note that the Delphi units are used in VW's across North America so the quality cannot be sub-standard. Even iPhones are assembled in China.

Bosch from what I have learned can offer the following:
- RDS (which I don't think is of much use in India)
- Super bluetooth functionality (full compatibility for 9w7+ higher BT modules which make display of full on-screen dialer, contact list, call logs & text messages on the screen)
- No direct compatibilty for USB (MDI is required)
- Marginally more expensive.

On the other hand the Delphi unit offers:
- No RDS
- Basic BT module support (9w2 - AD2P streaming, basic calling and being able to use steering button for call answer/reject)
- USB & Aux functinality without requirement of separate MDI
- You can get the RVC compatible version for much lesser than a standard Bosch unit.

Now I also read around that there is a difference in the outputs, the EU one is superior apparently, now to what extent that is true is yet unknown. But I can't believe that it could be a sub-standard product for American market compared to EU.

I'm not trying to defend the Delphi unit just because I recently got one for my Polo GT but I actually couldn't really justify spending the extra just for the "Made in Portugal" tag. I got in touch with a chinese supplier for VW Shanghai and got my whole set up including RCD510 Unit, Bluetooth module, wiring harness', adapters, relays, even a new cabin light panel with dedicated microphone housing. And I believe I got a really sweet deal.

Will get it installed soon as and when I find the time. The only screw up is the new Polo's & Vento's are coming with the RCD320 which is a non-CANBUS HU (have got a converter cable/adaptor for the same) and although it has basic bluetooth functionality, I'm pretty certain that it doesn't have a seperate module for the same (read: 9w2), So that needs to be installed under the passanger seat or perhaps behind the Climate Control.

Totally agree! my comments of not recommending "made in china" rcd was not in derogatory terms. The only reason was that VW itself rated Chinese RCD 510 as HU - LOW and bosch RCD as HU-MED. (low and medium quality classification) You could find out the exact classification on your HU label too. If you have a RCD 510 HU Med its a perfect deal. Also, at that time i was blinded by 9w7 compatibility

Well, i am also looking for 9w2, so if you have a sweet deal, pass it on to me too sir. i need the 9w2 BT module, Cabin light housing, Harness and MIC combination.

Do send me the link or tell me details how to acquire this.
Old 21st June 2014, 20:07   #81
BHPian

well reporting after a long time - but some key news to share about my Blue wind.

Recently on a drive to jaipur, a truck tyre burst in from of me spraying a bullet of pebbles.

Alas, the blue wind took the damage head-on resulting in multiple stone chips all over the bonnet :(

to add to that - on the way back home - an auto rickshaw scraped my driver side rear quarter panel.

So I was heartbroken , decided to let go of my NCB and get it repaired from the VW gurgaon service centre. The estimate

7000 for bonnet , 4000 for bumper (Front) , 5000 for quarter panel - all in all 16000 ex tax. with my zero dep i needed to pay 1800 from my pocket.

But then i saw a blue vento just painted and was ready to deliver. Man the paint job done was pathetic. The blue matching was 2 shades different and seems very thin with no or minimalistic Clear coat.

Decided to skip and start searching for alternatives.

Team-bhp was saviour again - i searched and got to know about Raja Paints in Gurgaon. People have vouched on his quality and the colour matching.

Decided to give it a shot.

Reached the place for estimate - and got a surprising estimate of 4800 for all panels! I obliged and fixed an appoint on the following day.

Brief about Raja paints - the owner and his younger brother have been in this business since 90s. They are sole distributor of DuPont automotive paints and use these products in their car repair business too.

They have set of experienced painters - very hard working. The colour matching is done primarily based on DuPont's official Manufacture paint colour code guide book, which tells precisely which duPont paint number needs to mixed in what quantity.

Once this base is made , the matcher's experience counts and he alters the shade slightly depending on the current condition of the paint on the car.

So, coming back - I reached the place and reported on time. Chit chatting with the owner - he quickly realised that i am Bhpian and offered his full attention and extra care.

In the first 10 min i saw 2 Mercedes, 1 X6 coming in for repairs.
The workmanship delivered to these cars was outstanding. The matching was awesome. The X6 owner had been quoted 80000 for a small dent on his bumper - Raja quoted him 1800!

Apart from that people from various service centres - Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Ford come with the car panels (mostly the fuel lid covers) to buy and match the paint from Raja.

Here is the picture log

1. The initial inspection
Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1387.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	1252490

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1388.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1389.jpg

2. Team bhp attention - A car next door was getting painted so my car was covered

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1392.jpg

3. The pre paint preparation. Masking, Filling, rubbing, primer

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1394.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1395.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1399.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1400.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1396.jpg

4. The first coat. The colour matched perfectly (minus the gloss).

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1406.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1408.jpg

5. They applied around 4 coats of paint.

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1409.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1410.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1411.jpg

6. The gloss was still missing but got this first blue colour (Looked good) but i wanted my gloss. So with a heavy heart asked the painter - bhaiya gloss?(where is the gloss mate?) And he said - abhi dekho! (See now)

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1412.jpg

The above picture shows the lacquer/clear coat being applied and boy it brought the gloss back big time.

Some videos below

I have to return back in 2 days for final rubbing and polishing

Will post the final pics then.

Summary:

Pros -

1. Super cheap
2. Supreme quality
3. You get assured multi coats in front of you
4. World class products used (for filling, primer, paint, thinner - 3M, DuPont)
5. Assured quality
6. Best in town paint matching

Cons

1. No paint booth
2. Dusty conditions
3. No masks for the painters - Health Hazard.

I did mention these cons to the owner - he his setting up a better paint shop soon.

Raja Paints India Private Limited
Scf 87, Opposite Telephone Exchange, Old Delhi Road, Sector 12A
Gurgaon, Haryana 122001
CLOSED on SUNDAY
9:30 am – 7:00 pm

rajapaints.com
098 10 187122

Map link
newtonMeter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 20:04   #82
BHPian

with a heavy heart, i am informing that i have sold my blue wind. :(

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2015 at 05:59. Reason: Strictly no advertising personal sales on the forum threads. Including TBHP ads. Thanks!
Old 7th June 2015, 22:13   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
So, whats the good news then? Whats the replacement for the gorgeous blue wind?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2015 at 05:59. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 7th June 2015, 23:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Dude! The car was so well maintained. Why did you sell it?

and more importantly, Whats next?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2015 at 05:59. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 8th June 2015, 10:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
So, whats the good news then? Whats the replacement for the gorgeous blue wind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Dude! The car was so well maintained. Why did you sell it?

and more importantly, Whats next?
Yes, it was sad to let her go. I am in the market for Pre-owned DSG Diesel. 4 nominations (in order of preference) - Highline Passat, 2011/2012, 2012 Laura DSG, 2012/2013 Highline Jetta, 2011/2012 Elegance Superb
Old 13th August 2015, 01:13   #86
BHPian

what next question answered:

here is the post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-dsg-l-k.html
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks