Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 22:27   #1
BHPian

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!

Prologue
I was a dedicated petrol head since 2002. After owning 2 mules (actually one beast) from India's top 2 customer care/A.S.S companies, which are, Maruti and Hyundai, I was in a dileama when it came to choose a new C segment.

Cars I Owned
1. Santro LS 2002 (zip drive) Forest dew
2. Sx4 VVT 2010 Petrol - Silky Silver

Mighty Beast - Sx4 code name "Beasty Boy"
Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-165728_10150367087950381_889070380_16432435_166819_n.jpg

I was an above average audiophile hence my thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...4-zxi-vvt.html

The Shortlist

Well strictly Diesel sedan as this was the sole reason to change my sx4

1. Mahindra XUV 500 - Lost out on Phase 1 , Was unlucky on Phase 2 lottery, was about to use some jack in the mahindra dealership (Friend's brother is a dealer) but got the following feedback
"i have no problem helping you get the XUV 500, but i strongly suggest to avoid the 2WD due to its current chassis, it has a inherent problem of giving away at the rear struts, if needed, book the AWD which has ladder frame"
Problem - AWD has 8 months waiting!
2. Fluence E4 Diesel - Awesome package, solid built. Issues: Puny engine for such a fab chassis, Loud turbo, spirit less drive between 1500-2500 (golden rpm range for any diesel), Thin after sales support
3. Jetta comfortline - AWESOME but awesomely beyond budget too!.
4. Cruze LTZ - Z series expected soon so didn't want to buy an obsolete engine, was beyond budget too
5. Fluidic Verna Sx(O)- Super exterior/interior, refined diesel engine
issues - looooong waiting, High speed handling, Dead steering
6. Volkswagen Vento - Had knocked it out before due to plain interiors, loud diesel, but once i saw the refreshed vento with steering control and RCD change, was interested again.
7. Rapid - Vento in disguise, though the front looks better, the interior just let down with vanilla plain styling. I absolutely hate the green (1990s) illumination, Reminds me of casio calculators. The green illumination on the backlight with green speedo lights just was not to my taste.

So, took a test drive of Vento, and was blown away . Took it on a long empty stretch , man, the in gear acceleration is just out of the world

So booked it and now am the proud owner of my Blue wind TDI HL (shadow blue)

2. Fuel efficiency
3. Refresh Vento is now at least in striking distance of the competition for features
4. Interior fit/finish is absolutely great. Though beige is difficult to maintain but is definitely rich.
5. Smart locking/auto window up down on remote are really cool features

Dislikes
1. Louder diesel - needs more sound insulation
2. un nerving rear suspension thud help
3. Exterior paint is too delicate! just comes off easily (minor stones hitting during long drives)
4. AC is super chill but the cabin airflow is not well designed (if you keep your hand next to the vents, it will feel like liquid nitrogen but the over all cabin is not that chilled! (possible bad air flow design)

for me the number 1 pain point is the rear suspension thud!! (especially when i come from forget it all breaker muncher sx4)

Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
Booking was done at Volkswagen Chandigarh! Hats of to the dealership! it was at par as any Maruti dealership. They kept me well informed about the car progress, also advised me to wait for 5 days to get the free insurance benefit from VW. Gave me a car which was just 17km driven on the odo!
Superb is the word for them

I got my car post budget, so got hit by the tax hike.
Ex showroom - 10.23
Insurance - 0
Registration - 30k
corp discount: 24k
OTR- 10.30

no freebies

Usage pattern
Mostly Urban (40Km daily) Weekend getaways - 200KM

Gearshift / transmission quality
Gearshift is perfect with smooth slotting and accurate ratios. The clutch on the 2012s is much softer as good as a petrol

Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
city -14-15Kmpl, Highways - 19-22kmpl

Long drive feedback
The car is awesome in all respects on the highway. The torque, in gear acceleration, poise at high speed is absolutely great. The efficiency is a boon too. i completed BLR-LEPAKSHI-BLR trip (300KMs) with an average of 19kmpl (max average touched 20.5kmpl)
Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-574746_10151688859420381_889070380_24056069_1624109757_n.jpg

Overall Takeaways
Handling - Having the EPS instead of HPS for the steering, the vento is quite neutral in both City and the Highways. The steering weighs up well at high speed and also is pretty light at slower speed. She takes the corners pretty well at high speed and inspires confidence ( Acceleres also add up to some grip).
Braking - Front calipers really bites well. Drums at the rear are good too but they are drums after all and the it seems that the braking handwork is done mostly at the front. The rear does not bite that hard as the front. Vento is loaded with ABS which works pretty well on wet and gravel. I am not sure if she is equipped with EBD. (isn't ABS always complimented by EBD?) I will check this more in detail but not sure as of now. Over all vento has more than sufficient braking but cannot be compared to Cruze all discs! (Though vento fares well when compared to Verna's all discs)
Ride and comfort- Vento is softly tuned, hence at slow speed it tends to bounce. But she is very comfortable and bumps don't filter harshly in. The only issue is the audio thud accompanying the shocks which spoils the refinement. At hight speeds she glides over un tarred territory. Undulating roads can surprise the Vento and it seems to react in a weird way.
Ground Clearance - is pretty ok for most of the roads we drive on. She will not bottom out unless its really a biggie. (Far better than Honda City). But she won't be comfortable on roads which chew the SX4 down! (SX4 is a true pothole muncher)
Refinement- The car is out to be refined. And it is. The most refined part is the gearbox (it is super slick). Engine is definitely a let down with the loud clatter(especially when cold) , thought there is no vibration.

Some Highlights
1. Love the parking lights (front) looks so yummy with the dim yellow light
2. The lock now engage later feature is really handy when your hands are full. quite handy to press the lock button first, then pick up the grocery and simply shut the dicky. The car auto locks remembering the last instruction
3. remote roll up/down of windows was one feature i thought would be wasted, but i know how wrong i was. Use it in sunshine to cool down your car by opening windows remotely as you move towards it
Close it remotely when it rains suddenly or some one forgot to roll up their window.
4. The mighty horn is unbeatable
5. VW has removed the hard plastic (VW branded) spare bulbs holder with a flimsy carton now.
6. Screw driver is now missing in vento 2012
7. Jack is super small and has small throw. Hopefully it works if i require it
8. Hate the single reverse light! hopefully ill change my driver side tail lamp with trend line tail light someday.- I don't need the fog light at the rear.
9. Love the polo tail light illumination pattern better than Vento's which is upside down pattern
10. The HMSL is LEDs when compared to bulb (maruti uses single watt bulb) its much upmarket and functional
11. Ingress/egress is not as easy as an Sx4 but not bad at all. Takes time to get use to.
12. No Ashtray! - thats ok, i don't smoke.
13. Love the glass holders which flip to make more space below the HU
14. Night time illumination is superb inside the cabin
15. Stock head lights/fog lights are too weak. Need immediate replacement.
16. Rough road handling is not as great
17. Brakes though super effective seems to be front heavy
18. Cold starts are clatter full (anti - refined sound). Also, on cold start the engine lag is more (seems lazy) - is this normal for any diesel?

ipod/iphone - integration
As i am an Apple buff, i was disappointed when I found out that there was no Iphone/Ipod integration. But i was determined, and the test drive on Jetta had help me spot the same HU (RCD 310) and the MDI interface. On researching, i got to know that RCD 310 supports iphone/ipod and hence what i need was an MDI cable. So i ordered
http://www.ebay.in/itm/251046626989?...#ht_5934wt_922

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-vw_mdi_cable.jpg
and it works flawlessly

Problems i fixed
1. During my forum munching on TBHP, i found many Vento owners complaining or highlighting a metal torsion sound vento makes when it goes over the uneven road (due to stretching and compression of chassis)
Well folks, there is a simple solution to this - Just install door sills,the door sills bridge the gap between the door underside and chassis and voila! no twisting sound.
2. Loud rear thud/uncomfortable suspension : Check the tyre pressure immediately! my bird came with 54!!! PSI in front and 49PSI at rear!! i have no idea how come the tyre dint blast! immediately changed to 33PSI front and 30 PSI rear. Things are well settled now but the rear thud still remains though has reduced.

Upgrades planned/Done
1. Upgrade Headlight bulbs- bought extreme visions H4, the light seems much better now. Struggled to self fit it, its too difficult, got some local installer help to undo the headlight and the wires. You can only change headlight bulbs after removing the headlights (Rs 980)
2. Changed extra long antenna to stubby one - see pics below (Rs 400 - ebay)
3. Added the iPod MDI cable (Rs 1050 - ebay)
4. Got 4D mats. (cheaper option to 3D)

Interior Pics

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1970.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1964.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1945.jpg

The new Leatherette seats. Looks and fits really well

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-2.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-3.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-4.jpg

Exterior Pics

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-11.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1949.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1950.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-img_1952.jpg

Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-photo-21.jpg

With stubby antenna!
Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!-538771_10151688842800381_889070380_24055993_958710799_n.jpg

Last edited by newtonMeter : 27th May 2012 at 21:28. Reason: quality
newtonMeter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 07:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bringing home my blue wind : VW Vento TDI EDIT: Now sold!

@newtonmeter

Congratulations on your smurf. The colour looks royal on the car.

So does this mean you have already sold the SX4? If your ride was supposed to be a diesel one, why didnt you try the SX4 diesel? Also suprising to find the new Fiesta missing from the TD list.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 07:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the owning the Vento. Great looking in the colour 'blue'.

Wishing you a happy ownership and many safe miles!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 08:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@newtonmeter

Congratulations on your smurf. The colour looks royal on the car.

So does this mean you have already sold the SX4? If your ride was supposed to be a diesel one, why didnt you try the SX4 diesel? Also suprising to find the new Fiesta missing from the TD list.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Hey Godhlur

I didn't look for sx4 diesel due to 1.3 specs and the deadly A-pillar issues, Fiesta back seat quality moved me away from it!
Old 11th May 2012, 08:52   #5
BHPian

Congrats on your new car! Blue on the Vento is absolutely stunning!

I really like the reason you gave for dropping out the Rapid. Casio calculators! Completely agree with you there.

Happy & Safe kms!
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 08:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

So booked it and now am the proud owner of my Blue wave TDI HL (shadow blue)

-ves
1. Loud diesel
3. Exterior paint is too delicate! just comes off easily (minor stones hitting during long drives)
4. AC is super chill but the cabin airflow is not well designed (if you keep ur hand next to the vents, it will feel like liquid nitrogen but the over all cabin flow is not that chilled!

for me the number 1 pain point is the rear suspension thud!! (especially when i come from forget it all breaker muncher sx4)

Attaching some pics
Congratulations and superb color selection.

That has to be the best color on vento. bhpian nileshch has one. You should take tips from him to keep that color gleaming at all times.

Here is his thread, and he too is in Bangalore

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html

SX4's ride quality is on the stiffer side, so speed breakers are not a problem, same cannot be said of vento I guess.

Owners: nileshch,noopster,mikon,naveen.raju (there are many more)might have more feedback about this issue.

Is it loud even after you sit in the cabin or is it only when we stand outside ?

Quote:

1. Mahindra XUV 500 - (Friend's brother is a dealer) but got the following feedback
"i have no problem helping you get the XUV 500, but i strongly suggest to avoid the 2WD due to its current chassis, it has a inherent problem of giving away at the rear struts, if needed, book the AWD which has ladder frame"
Problem - AWD has 8 months waiting!
Could you elaborate more on this ?

Quote:
4. Cruze LTZ - Z series expected soon so didn't want to buy an obsolete engine, was beyond budget too
Obsolete engine in which sense ? Its a stonker from what i read from mobike's ownership review

EDIT: Registration charges are only 30K you are lucky man.

Drive Safe !!

Last edited by F150 : 11th May 2012 at 08:59.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 09:06   #7
BHPian

Congratulations newtonMeter. You'll find loads of differences in driving around this German beauty, as you come from a Japanese and Korean background.

You're based in Bangalore and the car is bought from Haryana. Would you be going for a opex by paying the traffic cops instead of a capex of getting it registered in Bangalore? Or you're gonna use it in NCR?

Vento looks awesome in this shade.
Old 11th May 2012, 10:43   #8

Congrats for the stunning new Vento and its a nice color you have opted. You will love each and everyday day on owning and driving this German beauty.

Being a vento owner myself I agree with your defined issue of soft rear suspension. I transitioned from Swift (P), however I have trained myself to be careful on bumps when driving a Vento (fully loaded).

Flying stones is a pertinent problem and I have been a victim myself (2nd day of ownership). So its better to keep a good distance from the car in front, when you see the road is giving away.

Tectonic Blue shade, you may want to pick up some tricks to keep it shining from El Lobo. Better get some detailing material.

All the best and safe driving.

Quote:
Prologue
I was a dedicated petrol head since 2002. After owning 2 mules (actually one beast) from India's top 2 customer care/*** companies, which are, Maruti and Hyundai, I was in a dileama when it came to choose a new C segment.
==================
Old 11th May 2012, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Congrats on such a fabulous buy. Yours is a 2012 vento highline right?

Does it have the leatherette seats? Please post some pics if possible
Old 11th May 2012, 11:36   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the lovely car and welcome to the club!!
I have definately seen a rise Shadow Blue colour of the Vento. Here also in Gurgaon where earlier there were hardly any Blue Vento's now I see a couple of them.

The rear suspension thud could be because of Tyre Pressures. Many people here have recommended 32 in front and 30 in the back when you are driving with a Co passenger and 34 Front and 32 Rear when there have people in the back seat. The guys at showroom suggested 32 all around. You can play with this slightly and see what works best for you.

Congratulations again and I wish you many many happy miles with this car.

CHEERS!!
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:10   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on the Blue Wind.looks stunning.
Mine is a two month old black TDI and alredy clocked 5k km. During my short ownership most of the time spent/worring about the exterior maintinace ,i guess blue is no differnet.
I didn't observe the rear suspenssion thud, may be other experienced vento owners can suggest here.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:17   #12
BHPian

Congrats buddy on the Blue Wind. Welcome to T-BHP Vento owners club (there ain't one officially). I can point out many drawbacks in my Black Knight (Vento TDI-Black) which is just a year old and I have done 20000 kms so far. I am love with its performance and engine and the FE. To top it all its a diesel so its easy on the pocket as well.
You have got a gem of a car there. Drive safe and hope you have many many happy motoring miles with this German Diesel
Old 11th May 2012, 13:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Blue Wind. It seems Shadow Blue is the favorite color among everyone.

Do get Auto-Lock @15Kmph, Auto-Unlock on key removal & fuel lid lock @5 Kmph activated from VW workshop through VAS-COM if hasn't been done. Also do get Kagu 3D mats for Vento, worth the price of Rs. 4.5K to keep those beige carpet clean.

Quote:
Agree with you here, the rear suspension does give a THUD sound. Currently in my Vento TDi HL, I have kept 33 Front & 30 Rear air pressure which does help in reducing it. Give it a try.

Quote:
Correct again, paint does chip off easily but Vento comes with IIRC 3 years paint warranty and 6 years anti-perforation warranty, which should take care of it.

Quote:
With the new Cruze launching in June'12 the current one doesn't makes sense and new Z-Series engine is going be an awesome one 163PS with 360NM @ 1750-2750 RPM.

Drive safe and enjoy many miles on it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 14:42   #14
BHPian

Many congratulations on owning the stunning blue color. If you have still not experienced it, once you are on the highway, it will take a lot of mental willpower to get off it . Enjoy your ride and wishing you many a happy mile. Have you planned any accessories yet?
Old 11th May 2012, 15:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:

- On-road price, discounts etc.
I got my car post budget, so got hit by the tax hike.
Ex showroom - 10.23
Insurance - 0
Registration - 30k
OTR- 10.53
Lucky you!! My car (2012 Shadow Blue Vento TDI Highline) costed me 10.85 on road@Pune with Zero Dep insurance "PRE BUDGET". I got the delivery on 18 March 2012.

Even if I exclude the insurance, my car costed more than yours, that too when I got 31K corporate discount :( This is probabaly because of higher registration charges.

Ideally, what am I sad for, it is poor Bangalore guys who actually face the brunt of RTO charges.

Most Viewed