Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 20:19   #1
BHPian

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!

I have been meaning to write this earlier but due to wheat harvest got busy. Also i wanted to ride it on various terrains as well as get the first service out of the way.

Had been waiting for this model for ages, its nothing but a truck with a SUV body. I liked the white color (as i have always had black and have got sore hands keeping them clean). And it so happened that white is what they initially have launched with. Also thanks to the financial budget my price shot up by 83000 Rs. So in the end have payed (incl insurance) approximately 25 L.

I am going to try and avoid direct comparisons as everyone has a different expectation from vehicles and even if the vehicle is good, our expectations somehow disappoint us. At the same time a few thoughts as compared to vehicles i have been intimate with will surface here and there.

All the specifications can be found on the pajero sport website...

Getting to the point-
The vehicle is a truck with an SUV body. Its refined for a truck and not as luxurious as other SUVs. Having said that there is very little difference in SUVs in this price range.

The drive is not exciting as i had first thought but one does get the most reliable and secure feeling when one drives it and not as boring as the Toyota Fortuner (which mind you i am a great admirer of).

Let me get the few things that the car lacks or its cons out of the way-

I have written earlier in a thread about the price. And i quote myself saying somehow mitsubishi feels the world owes them a premium. It could easily have been cheaper by atleast a couple of lakhs if not more. But enough has already been said about their pricing.

Initially there is a turbo lag, it is very noticeable. Which was something that the company could have sorted maybe reprogram the chip or something.

Driving in the hills at regular speed ie 30-50 kmh one does not notice the roll much but at slightly higher speeds it does tend to drag you towards the center if you are not perfect taking the corners.

On turns again i am talking about on the slightly higher speeds the roll is noticeable it tends to get a little heavy on the side your turn. But at the same time never does it let you feel for a second that its not safe or slow down, lik i said in the beginning you will feel secure.

A little disappointed with mileage, Hilly terrains with Air conditioning it gave me 9.25 km/l. In the city where i was parked with engine on and a/c running for long periods it gave me 8.15 km/l. On highways initially it gave me 11.25 as i wrote earlier but that was me running it in on Chd-Del highway.

Very basic audio setup, surprisingly good base, has the typical usb and cd inputs okay sound but am glad they did not put anything fancy as i wold have anyway done my own install.

At this point i am trying to really think of other negative points and the worst i can come up with is a squeaky horn!

One thing i can tell you as there are a limited number of vehicles coming in from abroad and punjab/chandigarh is booked. I can tell you as i had to order 2 more and the dealer in Ludhiana Ashish said he'll try but currently people have paid them full payments in advance.

I hardly care (apologies to the company) but less sales = more exclusivity.
Also i guess heavier price also = more exclusivity.

I had a mahindra 340 (my first love) a red open jeep, i then got a Mahindra Utility, next came Bolero, Scorpio, Scorpio Crdi, Captiva (while i got to drive my father's changes as well, a 92 model pajero, Toyota Prado (dad's), Ford Endevour, Pajero SFX, Montero and the land cruiser that has been a constant.)

Now the good part, i am absolutely in love with this vehicle! The only other car that i had this sort of emotion for was my Red jeep. I can stare at it, this is not a Soccer Mom SUV. It is hardcore, not to take anything away from this vehicle i will compare it to my tractors.

I have found over the ages on Good roads all vehicle behave the same, only difference one goes faster and another has better interiors or gizmo's, but they all feel nice.

Its the bad roads, tougher terrains that separate the men from the boys.
So if you are a big city resident and hardly get time to go out, this vehicle like the rest of the large sized may not be a vehicle for you,keeping in mind parking etc, but believe me for the size the turning radius is simply awesome.

On bad roads , bumpy trails, this vehicle is like no other. My wife and mother on the back seat actually said that they hardly felt the pot holes on our newly constructed road here in himachal pradesh.

The Steering response is really good. It right there, responds exactly how much you want it to, not less not more.

Braking / gear change all the typical things i have found to be not noticeable , it gets the job done period.(like wicket keepers, you only notice the keeper when he makes a mistake).

luggage space again depends on personal requirements , i travel a lot and have a lot of luggage and it all fits am happy with it.

Middle row seat it reclines it slides, couldn't ask for more. And lots of leg room , but i have never seen so much leg space on the co-driver side in a car as this one, you can stretch your legs (of course depends on your height)and still have room for more.

The drive like i have said before it gives you the feeling of Security and "IT WILL GET THE JOB DONE" and you get a great view of the road ahead "you cant help looking down at other vehicles" (pun intended), i travel at night and there is no spot that blind sides you that i have seen in so many vehicles whether the side windows are too forward, a-pillars too large, etc the light are bright ( i may change the bulbs to osram's new models which are brighter yet permissible). The initial lack of turbo (which a friend has offered to re-program the chip, i doubt I'll do it before the warranty expires) the reliable drive and you reach 50-60 kmh and you need the speed a press down on the accelerator has yet not seized to surprise me. It moves like a bullet, it does. What that means for me is it is gives me confidence and yet not over confidence like some of the more peppier vehicles give.
I confirm the PS will take you to 160-165kmh easily , it will touch 172 but it struggles getting beyond 165. Which has disappointed me (some one may say where can you drive in India, and my answer is - anywhere!!!).

why i love this vehicle? maybe my expectations were low, maybe they were right and this vehicle delivered, or maybe i am biased.
see i like nice cars but hate to pay premium for servicing, repairs, etc. What i mean is what would be a perfect SUV for "ME" taking bits from various vehicles- the speeds of the porches, looks of the touareg/q7s, presence reliability of land cruiser, the feeling of pride in a land /range rovers repair costs of the mahindra.
The Pajero Sport falls bang center of this dream vehicle for me. Making it a great vehicle.

It also has the widest wheel base compared to monteros,pajeros, fortuners etc, at the same times smaller than the others mentioned above.

What my capitva lacked this vehicle makes up in leaps and bounds, rear a/c, feeling of security, the road presence, best air conditioning that i have come across, maybe that has to do with the Llumar film i got from this wonderful dealer (found him cheaper than many) in Delhi Palika Bhawan Dk something, his name is Vikram (before the supreme court ruling), Llumar neutral 50 and PP70 its clear and amazing heat resistant. On a hot day parked in sunlight i was able to get in and not feel that oven like feeling and in 3 minutes my car was nice with the a/c on. I personally recommend it if the supreme court allows clear films. I also got the horns changed the loudest by far were the roots , didn't get them as felt i may get into accidents with them as they can actually startle pedestrians and 2 wheelers, i got the hella model pretty loud fit it in front but had to design my own "clip on system" to install, why i have mentioned DK is they were "careful" with my new car treated it well and then cleaned the car after which i find lacking.

The first service took place (1100 kms late) in ludhiana. Mine was the first sport serviced in ludhiana, but also the only place where once i hand my vehicle the mechanic did not drive my car to its bay at drag racing speed, he was gentle which immediately helped me decide this was the place, as i have experienced in mahindra , captiva service centers that once you hand them the car they like to test the damn pickup and the brakes all within 50 meters of space. hate it!

Simple service, i like to stand with the car on every service however busy i maybe. They gave it 30 minutes before the estimated time. And took care of even the corners for vacuuming.

My favorite part, i went to my farm and that too right after it had rained. I have a but of land where i grow poplars where in rainy seasons even tractors think twice to venture.

Let me describe it, 50 meters are muddy but plain trail, then 100 meters of pure slush, few bumps, soft sand , slippery inclined (sideways not upwards) trail and then my plants.

The first time i went i drove slow, stopped before slush entered found car drifting changed to 4 wheel drive and came out the other side and TURNED back, went back to the road. I then drove on the trail in 2 wheel at 60, slightly braked at 30 switched to 4 wheel low , through the slush and this is not a joke, it did not even drift slightly , i wanted it to it did not. it was like i am on a dry road, hardly felt a bump, the incline did not exist for this vehicle. I went into my tree field and just had pure fun, loving this vehicle even more.

I think just having the power to do what this car can do on such terrains (maybe i go into these areas 10 times in the next 3 years, maybe not even once) its just satisfying.

Interiors are bare necessity.

Whats next-
this car lets you Accessorize!!! loads of space to put things, necessary things useless things its got space for everything.
Legatia series hybrid audio for front, with p80 or the new clarion which has 5 volt preout as HU, HATs for rear fill, 2 x Jl audio 8" in the sides as there is enough space in side walls, jl audio slash 450/4 amp an a hifonics brutus 2700 dclass amp.

I have lightforce fog lamps already , waiting for a very basic front guard chrome thick single metal bar (its a design for the trinitron trucks which they will change) and for my rain guards from thailand, philips daylights, Osram bulbs for head lamps white for dims and yellow for highs, tiny fog lamps at the bottom changing to light force.

Roof rack (removed it from my captiva) only when require.

Avoiding the change of alloys and tyres , as i really like the tyres it comes with. Nor a rear spoiler.

I'll posy some pictures as well as if something comes up, currently this review is emotional and just 2000 kms old.

But i now for certain this car has excited me like no others, luxurious soft roader it is not its a brute on the road.

I hope to keep it with me for many years to come, grow old with it, will buy my other cars along the way as second cars but this is gonna be my work vehicle, a keeper.

a love song that many have quoted for their "Automobiles" so why should i be left out-

"My, the years are flying by
I cannot slow them down;
What really makes them pleasant
Is the fact that you're around".

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_6622a.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_6624a.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_6625.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_6629s.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_6631.jpg

My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!-img_7784a.jpg
daebis is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 00:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Sport- Pajero Sport !

I just love this beast and congratulations for owning an elite car. If i have got the moolah I shall buy this for sure over the Fortuner any day. I feel Mitsubishi has more charisma and an energy to it. I still just go still when I see a Pajero on the roads. Havent checked the PS in person but the pictures were good and I like its stance.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 01:30   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. I too loved the interiors of PS but it was the exteriors that made me change to TF. But it does look beautiful and specially the white color! HM should really market this well for increasing sales. Also because the price is high too. Happy Driving
ethan3686 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 01:34   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@ daebis - Congrats on owing the first ever Pajero Sport on Team Bhp

Thank you for the ownership report. You seem to be very attached to the car, a typical TBhpian's trait .

Wishing you a million kms on the Pajero Sport. Do keep us posted with interior pictures. Since you own a Fortuner (your dads), it would benefit the comuinity if you could post a detailed comparison between the two Jap SUVs.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 12:35   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daebis View Post
I hope to keep it with me for many years to come, grow old with it, will buy my other cars along the way as second cars but this is gonna be my work vehicle, a keeper.
This vehicle is indeed a keeper Daebis and will serve you for as long as you live, perhaps, even longer with very little maintenance.

Congrats on the purchase have a lifetime of happy miles with it.

Can you post a few pictures of the interiors of it along with a few videos showing its suspension travel off the road please?
Should be easy for you as you are in the midst of farmlands and slushy, rocky terrain.

@MODS: Can you move this thread to the Initial Ownership Reports section please?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 13:31   #6
BHPian

Re: My Mitsubishi Pajero Sport!

Congratulations!

Do post more pictures of the interior and also of all the accessories that you have fitted.

and as posted above, do carry out a comparision between the fortuner and the pajero sport.

all the best!
kevinephraim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 14:14   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase. Looking lovely in white. Do post some interior pictures as well. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Finally somebody who really needs an SUV gets one.

Best of luck buddy. Or should i give it to the Pajero for all the challenges you are going to throw at it.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@ daebis - Congrats on owing the first ever Pajero Sport on Team Bhp

Thank you for the ownership report. You seem to be very attached to the car, a typical TBhpian's trait .

Wishing you a million kms on the Pajero Sport. Do keep us posted with interior pictures. Since you own a Fortuner (your dads), it would benefit the comuinity if you could post a detailed comparison between the two Jap SUVs.
Hi, not a fortuner he has the land cruiser lexus (an import model) and a montero, i could give a comparison but that would be of different segment...

i will give me a few days. try and get more pictures...

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th May 2012 at 13:44. Reason: Merging bvack-to-back posts. Plz use the Multi-Qoute button to reply to more than one post at a time.
daebis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 18:23   #10
BHPian

Interiors are really more classier than the fortuner. But doesnt have a touchscreen display. Also its more polished and nothing looks out of place. Its almost like a sedan. Mitsubishi has really done a great job in the interiors. Only thing is to market it well now!
Old 12th May 2012, 19:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Daebis, thanks for the review. I liked the way you have put down the details – very earthy, and have almost given a human touch to the car

How usable is the third row seats?

Do keep updating the thread, and please post some interior pictures as well.
Old 12th May 2012, 22:26   #12
BHPian

Congrats man! The ride looks butch. One question though- why are there 2 of the pajero sports in the first 3 pics??
funkmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 09:26   #13

Wow. Congratuations. It really stands out in white. No matter what anyone says, a Pajero is a Pajero and everything pales in comparison. And like in the popular ad, the argument continues...
Vishnu Vardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 12:59   #14
BHPian

Congrats man,This was one of the cars i was eagerly waiting for someone to buy and put up an ownership review on
Old 13th May 2012, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review, Congratulations on this unique buy. Have been waiting eagerly for such a review and here it comes. Few questions and requests.

The classic one , How would you compare it with Fortuner in terms of space and drive?

And, could you post more pictures of this beauty, especially the insides of the car. Thanks.

Most Viewed