Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz

The need for another car in the family started making sense in summer 2010, when we had returned from the Old Empire and my father meanwhile had got transferred to Salem. We thought of depositing the car with my parents, however they said that they would hardly need it, if, for an impending marriage function. So I took my beloved Alto, and also started looking for another car.
My requirements were simple – the car should have ABS +Airbags for safety, since I do spend some time on our highways; should be bigger than my alto to accommodate 5 passengers comfortably and shouldn’t exceed 6 lakhs. Had a look at my driving history and found that I did drive more than 12k per year and though diesel would also make sense. All these conditions put together gave out very little options then. So thought of expanding my search and considered at least test driving all of the B2 hatches. There started my long journey. Infact in those days, my weekdays would completely be filled with office + a bit of Team-bhp whenever possible; weekends - mostly on test-drives if not allocated to other household chores

THE OPTIONS

While it’s been a long time since then, I am re-creating those thoughts again - just to capture how a normal person thinks and decides. Remember that I haven’t driven cars other than alto extensively. So most of my comparisons would be with reference to alto and let’s forget timelines here. This entire episode happened over a period of several months.

1. Figo - Of course this fit my requirement like T. Kept a watch on all the noise around its release and started watching Gemithomas on how it was on road. On some unremembered weekend, I went into the new showroom in SRP Tools Chennai to check the car. I was pretty impressed by its deceptive size and features that were offered on it. Price sheet read 6.14 OTR for diesel titanium and looked sweet. I had to ask for a test drive and then was accepted (point is - it wasn’t offered). Test drove the car and was impressed with it. The front glass area was the first thing that stuck me; pickup wasn’t great, but didn’t complain ; handled the potholes better than alto, didn’t make too much fuss; but my alto was already 4 yrs old and I didn’t remember how alto felt when it was new. Had expected diesel to make a little more noise, but that wasn’t the case and i felt happy with NVH. Space and spec were immaculate and I was impressed. Thought this would be my next car. However told the dealer that I will have a go at its competitors before making a decision.

2. Fiat Punto - my next stop was with Concorde motors of Velacherry. Went in there and asked for Fiat Punto - was attended by a lady and she explained all the features. Again, was impressed with Punto as well, but liked Figo interiors better. Asked for a test drive again, and they said they'll come back. After some time, they finally came back and said the TD car has arrived and offered that to me. Went in and started the car; and felt it was less noisier inside than Figo. Was surprised to find that Odo was disconnected. I asked them and they said that was normal and asked me not to worry about it. I turned skeptical and thought of making a note of VIN so that if I ever buy Punto, it doesn’t turn out to be that vehicle; however in all the excitement later on, forget to act on this thought of mine. Had initial hiccup getting the car out in reverse from the showroom. In Alto, you turn around and see the huge glass area and small size allows you to literally breathe down the rear bottom, however in these cars, what’s behind seems like it’s happening on a different plane and presented to you on small screen . Anyways got it out and put it in forward. It was gem of a drive. Never felt any potholes on that road and didn’t feel the speed as well. Everything was perfect. This was a sheer pleasure. Got back from TD and got them the price sheet. Emotion and Emotion pack, both were out of my budget, but the experience was satisfying. Either ways, the ownership threads in team-bhp had created a prejudice against Fiat from A.S.S and this car as choice never came up. On my way out, I was confronted by the Tata SA, and he offered me to check Vista as a choice. I checked the car and immediately was stuck with the rear seat comfortness – it was the most comfortable of the lot. Asked them for a test drive and they said the diesel vehicle wasn’t available. So told them that I’ll come back later

3. Volkswagen Polo - Abra motors at TNagar was the only available dealership then, and I visited them on Sunday morning. There wasn’t much of a crowd, and a lady SE attended and explained the features neatly. Everything seem perfectly done - of course, didn’t have any complaint. Again, asked them for TD of diesel and was offered one. If I hadn’t driven Figo/Punto, I believe I might have had a different opinion; but after Punto, the polo simply felt noisier and didn’t absorb those undulations with such perfection. Anyways, the price sheet did tell me that there wasn’t any version in diesel within my reach and there ended the Polo.

4. Micra - Again, from team-bhp, found a lot of hype being generated for Micra, so decided to check that out as well. Turned up at Sherrif Nissan. I guess, the prices hadn’t been announced then and they had only display car. Found the whole car a girly affair, the curvy front, rounded off interior controls, a smaller non-descriptive steering wheel. Didn’t like it so much. The rear seat was lacking underthigh support. The XV seem to have been loaded with first of the segment features - keyless entry, mirror autofold etc. Waited then for the price and found that Petrol XV itself went close to 6.4 OTR. Did return back to the dealer to do the test drive. The petrol had only been released then. The car obviously had good pickup and handled the city curves well. Didn’t find any fault with the car as such except may be the looks. However the petrol top end was the one that I had all that was needed and it was out of budget. So closed the book there.

5. Back to Tata Vista - as promised, landed up on another weekend at tata showroom, and asked for a diesel td. They didn’t have the diesel Vista on that day again, and the person offered me a petrol safire version. Did the TD, there isn’t anything spectacular to write about. It was ok, but I thought the car had huge body roll. With all these, I came back to Figo, test drove it again on OMR for high speed handling and pretty much decided that this would be my car.

While all these had happened, 4 months had rolled by, the arrival of a new family member (my kid) and the impending need for my parents for a car not getting any urgency; this was pushed to back burner.

This closes here….. If this were a film, a new shot would open with subtitle- 8 months later.

The BOOKING

With the return of my brother and his marriage plans making some headway, the thought re-surfaced again and I started on the track. Remember, that while all this was happening, Figo had been slowly increasing its price, and when I went to check again, it was at around 6.5 L and I kept increasing my budget in line with its OTR. However the cash in hand had depleted due to unforeseen investment and this kept me in check for few more months. Every now and then, I would ask my wife on when we are buying figo and she would remind me of the lack of figures in our bank statement.

All of sudden, there a an outcry in team-bhp that Honda Jazz had reduced its prices by around 1.75 lakhs purely for disposing off their older stock and would be launching a newer version. Being a regular of team-bhp meant that I had heard of only positives on jazz except for its pricing. This brought it within my buying range and I started enquiring. I think I possibly delayed it by a day and had by then only white ones were remaining. Wasn’t interested in white. Then came the new version with pretty much the same price and my interest was re-kindled. Called up capital Honda to find out if they had a TD, a few times, but they never had one for quite some time. Finally after few weeks, dropped in to showroom to discuss jazz. The SA was keen on selling a city or a brio over jazz. Given that I had stretched my budget close to 7, when the SA announced 8 lakh OTR for base city, I was tempted, but then resisted the thought considering that I still didn’t have what it takes to buy a sedan and don’t need a sedan now anyways. The next day, there was a jazz which was getting readied for delivery, and on the way I saw that and dropped in. SA was ok to let me have a look at the car, but obviously didn’t let me drive it. Was impressed by the space and features of jazz and booked it right away without TD. We thought about Urban Titanium, but since we didn’t see it in flesh, went with Silver - a color with which you'll never go wrong , no matter which car. I had opted for base -version. It pretty much had everything that I was looking for ABS+Airbag, space and integrated Stereo (wasn’t interested in any aftermarket work to get this done). All others - alloy wheels or parcel tray didn’t seem that important to me. Would have loved to have Driver seat height adjustment alone if that was additionally possible optionally, but was content with base version otherwise. That was October of 2011. And the bad news had broken about Thailand floods as well. The dealer promised me by Jan or max Feb.

With my brother's marriage getting confirmed, I thought if not my parents, at least he would need the car to get settled in BLR and would be comfortable to start with an old alto. However there wasn’t any concrete news on the delivery, and I simply got pulled into quagmire of marriage preparation. While I had booked Jazz, I still was in two minds between Figo and Jazz. Both were pretty much on same price range. While one was diesel and offered VFM, the other was petrol and offered POM (Piece of Mind). It was a mind vs. heart debate. The reliability discussions and minor irritants of Figo were making me lean towards jazz. Also the thought of me making some short or long trips abroad seemed to make petrol a better alternative. Having made the jazz booking, I was simply deferring the decision on Figo.

With my brother's marriage finally over, my thoughts returned on car returned back. The budget discussions on excise hike meant that I had a take a decision soon. I did take a decision but a strange one - if budget hikes diesel car's excise rates Figo would lose its VFM, and if not, we can consider Figo. Basically, my heart was with Jazz and was simply deferring the Figo buy. With another twist of tale, my brother announced that Uncle Sam had called him and wasn’t returning for a while. It all came crashing down, there wasn’t any need for another car considering alto had still some decent life in it. But did I cancel my booking immediately – No…. as again, simply deferred the decision.

On late part of March, on an afternoon, Sales Manager from Capital Honda called me and announced that they had an Urban Titanium Jazz available for delivery. Suddenly I was filled with anxiety – guess you understand this is exactly when the heart won over mind. While there wasn’t any particular need, I think I would have delayed the decision even further; if not for this call. Told him, will confirm on the color and version after I have a look at it. He informed me that I can take a look at the color in showroom on City or Brio (they still didn’t have any Jazz). Reached there next day, met the SM of Sales, looked and the color and conveyed my decision which was already made. Then came the surprise, when the new price list was made available. My booking for Jazz Base had 6.56L OTR, but Jazz Select was 7.08 OTR, an increase of over 50k (attributed to upgrade and budget). But my heart had already made up and my mind didn’t offer any great resistance.

THE BUYING

The SM informed me that it would be better to get the vehicle registered before Mar 30th since TN budget may increase vehicle registration tax. It was already 23rd and I told him that I needed finance too. He said that he'll be able to arrange within few days and put me with his finance person.
  • Finance - They gave me couple of options - HDFC and BMW both with same interest rate of 11.9%, but BMW had only 2% pre-payment penalty and I think it was a little more with HDFC. Anyways decided on BMW.
  • Insurance - The Honda assure had Bajaj Allianz, quote of which was close to 3k more than online quote. The online quote did not have OMR has listed workshop and my friend had a pretty bad experience on the day of booking, when after paying the money, there was some problem from their end. He really had to chase them really hard to get his stuff done. So decided to go along with the dealer insurance.
  • Discount - none was offered and no effect on bargaining.
  • Accessories - Dealer never offered to sell anything more and I was content with the overall package.
  • Extended Warranty and RSA - for 9k more, if it buys me more peace of mind, so be it. Just took it. The only catch with RSA is that you should be within 100km to nearest Honda service centre.
On March 26/27, the deal informed me that the vehicle was delivered and was available at the stockyard. So took a trip to Meenambakkam Showroom and did a PDI. Well, there wasn’t much to do. Physical inspection didn’t show any problems. The stock yard had close to 2/3 Brio's rest all Citys and 3 Jazz. All three were Select variants and the other 2 were Silver. I went back and asked the dealer if there s chance to get the silver, and he negated the possibility. Meanwhile had the VIN# noted, and found from our thread that it’s indeed a 2012 march model. So went ahead with everything else and had the registration done on March 30th. The next day being Saturday, preferred to take the vehicle, on Apr 1st, the Sunday.

THE DELVIERY

Went there with the family a little early. The showroom people started showing up , but had the car ready polished and ready last day - they only had to do final touchups. The SA explained everything - the documents that I received (original invoice, extended warranty, RSA, insurance, Owner's manual), took me to the car and explained the all features.
I did do my check on exterior & interior, on controls, and if they operate correctly - I had my recipe from team-bhp and was well prepared for this part.
Two notewothy items deserving appreciation
  • they had arranged for all items for pooja and had an elderly person from their end perform it as well.
  • Good enough fuel to last quite a while (DTE showed 100 or something, but you know that’s only till reserve, so in total they might have put in more than 15 litres of fuel)
We both took some photo shots and parted with gifts for each other. I did take this advice of team-bhp seriously as well. But then the only problem was I had dealt with 3 different people, original person who booked the car and had left the company, the assigned Sales Executive, and the Senior Manager. But both of the later had informed me that they wouldn’t be able to make it on Sunday, so planned 2 gifts, once to the group present, and other to the absentees.

Took the keys and rolled on...
Before I conclude on this part, want to express my thanks to team-bhp&ians for all the help and guidance.

THE CAR

Exterior

In terms of looks, this isnt the best looking hatch, but definitely one of the better looking ones. Has a kind of sophiscated urban car look. The car looks deceptively smaller from outside. You'll realize this once you step inside. On the color front, the Urban titanium looks pretty good in Select style or rather the chrome garnish works well with this color. For the other lighter shades - white & silver, i thought the black honeycomb grill looked better than the body colored one offered on high end.
Here s how the car looks. It s a bit dirty, since i live in part of Chennai where theres hectic construction happening and i didnt clean my car on that day.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-front.jpg
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-side.jpg
The door is light, but doesnt close as lifeless as my alto. The overall build quality is pretty good ( i compare to Alto ofcourse ) - except for what i observed on teh front door top pane. Doesnt seem to be inline with other parts and is sticking out a bit. Pics below.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-unevendoortrim.jpg
The door plastic seems of good plastic and i dont expect it to fade too fast. WE'll revisit this a year down the line.

Interior

Space - once you step in and sit, the space was liberating and you dont have any clautraphobic, rather an opposite effort strikes you. The swooping glas arc in the front seems to provide a rather big space above console. There are enough cup holders and small areas to hold onto your accessories.

Seats - the seats seem to be of good quality and are pretty comfortable with good amount of lower back support. Will have to check how long this support hold - ideally would have loved to have a lever to increase or decrease the back-support
Am i asking too much within 7lakh car?
The most important and comforting aspect is their height. Unlike other cars, you dont have to sit down or sit up. Guess this is perfectly aligned for an average Indian adult. IN terms of back-seat width, i think it can accomodate 3 comfortably and can go good miles without major bodily discomforts, given other niceities. Another goodie for rear seat is the recess beneath which helps the knee bend a little more, letting ankles to be placed beneath the seats ( unlike other cars where without recess, ankles need to be inline or ahead of knee caps). The picture will help explain what i am talking about. Generally over a long drive, i feel this stretch helps relieve some pressure off and also provides some movement.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-seatrecess.jpg
Controls - Its easy to get used to controls, pretty standard. The orange backlight for the cluster seems a better idea than the previous one - seems visible without any glare almost all times.
Generally the backlight on the instrument cluster comes in only with parking or headlights switched on ( at least in alto). But in Jazz, the backlight is always on and is at its brightest setting. On switching off the headlight or parking lights, the backlight goes back to adjusted value - which can be varied with the same trip meter knob. Here s the pic in daylight.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-instrumnetcluster.jpg

Entertainment System - The sound quality is ok and i generally dont nit-pick the quality mostly. I mostly listen to them to lighten or elate my mood and average ones with good songs/lyrics does the job. UBS/AUX are present, though i ahve not used them yet. I think reaching music controls like BASS/Treble wasnt intuitive at least for me, but i generally dont bother with them anyhow. The steering mounted controls are great and now i feel touching the music system in my alto a pain!!

HVAC - Pretty good and cools the cabin quickly except if you are in mid/ near mid noon sun in summer. The huge glass area means that the Speed position needs to be kept at 2. Otherwise 1 suffices on most other days : for front seat passengers i mean. The huge front glass area means that again during mid/near noon theres reflecting on instrument cluster preventing complete vision of the cluster. Will post a picture of this later.

DRIVE

NVH - thats the first thing that you'll notice once you start the engine. Its pretty silent at idling, which it does at slightly less than 1k rpm. Race the throttle and you'll hear a lovely whizzing noise beyond 2.5k rpm . The only noise that i am bothered right now is the tyre noise. The stock- Good year tyres arent pretty good but i think they are hard and will last longer? Was in two minds, but the money factor prevented me from attempting anything further.

Accelaration - Had already been warned on the low rpm torque. I am not a sedate driver, but neither a race enthusiast. I do find the accelearation a bit low, but I am ok with this. If you race beyond 2.5k is when you start to feel the surge of the vehicle forward. Otherwise its like a gradual climb - which is good for mileage and family.

My gear change habits are as follows ( generally try and do it at 2.5k rpm)
  • 1st gear - till 10kmph
  • 2nd gear - till 20kmph
  • 3rd gear - from 20kmph till 40 kmph
  • 4th gear - from 40 till 50kmph
  • 5th gear - threafter
While downshifting, come down till 40 in 5th and till 30 in 4th.
The good thing is it doesnt show visible signs of suffering say at 40kmph in 5th gear, which my alto would be showing to me loud and clear.
In 5th gear, 2.5 k rpm gives you 80kmph and in this setting the instant mileage indicator shows around 20kmpl. Seems to be a good speed to maintain. Havent tried speeds beyond 100 and so cannot yet comment on the high speed stability.

Steering - obviously feels weighted, seems precise and has better feedback than alto. Dont have anything else to compare against.

Gear Shift - is short and precise compared to rubbery sticky feeling that alto used to provide. Again the lever doesnt vibrate like alto used to do. But sometimes i do have difficulty in slotting into 2nd gear. The clutch is light and hence sometimes i dont realise of nto having pressed it completely. Making it a habit.

Brakes - do inspire better confidence than my alto .

Ground Clearance - is a cause for concern if loaded with 4 or more passengers. Have already scrapped a few speed breakers. Need to be pretty careful. Havent found a perfect way to eliminate this. However the SA showed me the area that gets scrapped and its a horizontal support beam and that was re-assuring. So its not a big issue with small scrapes.

Niggles/Wishes
  • The key - would have loved a foldable key unlike this big one. Also the second key if had a remote lock buttons would be better?
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-keys.jpg
  • Parcel Tray - doesnt completely cover or gel with rear seat - stands out with a visible gap. Also it not being a snug fit is causing noise during some bumps. Let me know if somebody else is observing the same effect
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-18052012259.jpg
  • The power window enclosure plastic seems to stand out. Would have liked something else that gels with others overall, though cant really say what it is.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-powerwindowcontrol.jpg
  • No Auto Central locking
  • The enclosure over gear handle stick seems to come out displaying a white shaft. You can see this in GTO s review itself.
  • This is more of a query - as to what to do with this space or what was the idea on this
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-unusablespace.jpg
  • Painting job left undone on this bolt?
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-screwpaint.jpg
  • THe 40% rear seat split is on the driver side. If it had been other way around it would have helped. My theorectical point - for a very long object - front seat pushed down and one split seat folded down will get you. with 60% rear seat up, you'll still have space for 2 adults. The seat configuration in US would be ideal and i think it has been carried over directly.
  • Left rear door doesnt close properly like other doors. Sometimes you need to apply a little bit of force.
  • Presence of tilt adjustment on driver seat would have helped may be.
  • the IRVM vibrates at some RPM and hence has shaky picture unlike ORVM. Also this IRVM is integrated to windscreen rather than to the body ( which was the case in Alto)
  • Rear seat head restraint - would felt better to have one more groove between top and bottom. Right now it s either too much up or right down at rest.
Accessories so far
  • added RE50 series sunfilm on sides and left the rear and front windscreen. Awaiting further updates on actions on SC ruling before i go over to front windscreen sunfilm idea. Costed around 6900. Was done in Privilege Motomall.
  • Pasted a door guard to prevent against scratches while opening the door in tight enclosures. Serves the purpose well in my apartment, given the tight space around door sides. Now i open without worrying about scratching my door edges. Again done at Privilege Motomall for 300. They wanted to paste it at standard area - just below the first waistline, but had to indicate to them that the outermost portion was closer to the send one, and i was spot on. Will paste a picture on this later.
Finally
Why I guess Jazz means spirit / energy and that aptly describes the car, while being calm and composed at the same time.
Its been a good journey so far. Hoping for good times to continue...

Last edited by vigneshA : 12th June 2012 at 19:13.
vigneshA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 16:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 13th June 2012, 16:20   #3
BHPian

Even we bought a Jazz last month for Dad. Just did the first service and bill was 0.0 :-)

Somehow i feel the car is little underpowered in 3rd gear and 4th. And in city traffic, it should be always in 1st gear with occassional shift to 2nd.
Old 13th June 2012, 16:51   #4
BHPian

Nice Review Vignesh.
I am also booking same colour. Can you post some more pictures as you said about Door Guard. I am yet to do the TD. Although I have done it 1 year back I want to do it again and for longer duration and on all types of roads.

By the grace of Local Muncipal corporation and MMRDA there are various types of roads available with various sizes of potholes, various types of spead breakers, and some amount of good clean smooth and straight road without traffic too also available.
Old 13th June 2012, 16:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car.

This colour looks very good on Hondas in particular & the car (as you have mentioned isn't exactly a looker, but, has an aura of sophistication... definitely it is one of the best superminis around.

The area (below the steering) that you have encircled in one of the images can be used to keep the mobile or even Shaldan type in-car perfume boxes.

Your write-up was also good, & actually prompted me to read the whole as interest grew with each para.
Old 13th June 2012, 17:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats vigneshA, wish you many safe and happy miles together

I will check in my Jazz for your questions and hopefully have some answers for you later this week, when she is back from the workshop.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:24   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all the wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Somehow i feel the car is little underpowered in 3rd gear and 4th. And in city traffic, it should be always in 1st gear with occassional shift to 2nd.
I use 1st gear to start from standstill, else, 2dn gear suffices. While it might be little sluggish to get to speed, me being a sedate drive, am fine with that. If you really need to pickup - race to 2.5+ k rpm and keep it in that band. Have tried this and found the pickup to be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Vyenky View Post
Nice Review Vignesh.
I am also booking same colour. Can you post some more pictures as you said about Door Guard. I am yet to do the TD. Although I have done it 1 year back I want to do it again and for longer duration and on all types of roads.

By the grace of Local Muncipal corporation and MMRDA there are various types of roads available with various sizes of potholes, various types of spead breakers, and some amount of good clean smooth and straight road without traffic too also available.
Vyenky - yes GC can be an issue, but as i said, the part that takes the hit is seems a cross-beam and hence its ok. Yeah, do some good TD anwyas. I did several TD s but ended buying a car which i hadnt driven; but then I am not disappointed. WIll post the door guard picture soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The area (below the steering) that you have encircled in one of the images can be used to keep the mobile or even Shaldan type in-car perfume boxes.

Your write-up was also good, & actually prompted me to read the whole as interest grew with each para.
Cardeep - the spot cant hold mobile definitely. I think it would fall out with a quick acceleration. It should be the case with perfume box as well - not very sure . Let me anyways try this once and let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Congrats vigneshA, wish you many safe and happy miles together

I will check in my Jazz for your questions and hopefully have some answers for you later this week, when she is back from the workshop.
Thanks. will wait for your inputs.

I've already completed my 1st service. Will post details on this little later.

Last edited by vigneshA : 13th June 2012 at 18:27.
Old 13th June 2012, 19:38   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the car Vignesh and thanks for the detailed review !.

Quote:
THe 40% rear seat split is on the driver side. If it had been other way around it would have helped. My theorectical point - for a very long object - front seat pushed down and one split seat folded down will get you. with 60% rear seat up, you'll still have space for 2 adults. The seat configuration in US would be ideal and i think it has been carried over directly.
If the 60% split is on the driver's side, it would have resulted in not only imbalance of weight but also 2 people having to get in the car from the right hand side. Isn't it easier and safer to have rear passengers get in from the left / curb side ?. Just my thought.
Old 15th June 2012, 23:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
[*]Left rear door doesnt close properly like other doors. Sometimes you need to apply a little bit of force.
Congratulations VigneshA.Me too had the same issue as mentioned by you at the same door.Service manager at capital Honda had a look at the issue and they adjusted the hook to which door gets locked.The problem seems to be gone now.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Congrats on the car Vignesh and thanks for the detailed review !.

If the 60% split is on the driver's side, it would have resulted in not only imbalance of weight but also 2 people having to get in the car from the right hand side. Isn't it easier and safer to have rear passengers get in from the left / curb side ?. Just my thought.
Vivriti - thats another perspective. I was simply comparing from a utilitarian perspecitve, 60/40 split configuration between US Honda Fit and Honda Jazz and feel that former was better. And not sure if it would really cause so much of trouble from engineering standpoint.

Further to my experience thread
1. There s a glare on teh speedo while during say 11-2 PM i think depending on the sun's angle on the dashboard. While the speedo isnt disturbed, the reading console is . Here s a pic.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-glareonspeedo.jpg

2. Pictures of Door Protection that i have put on.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-doorprotectors.jpg

3. Low fuel warning comes in while DTE is around 50 i believe. Will check on this more. With DTE at zero, the fuel tank can take in around 34 litres of fuel. That leaves 7.5 - 8 litres around.

I Service Update:
Had also completed my first service at the end of April itself. Bill was zero, except that i had asked for rust protection coating on the bottom and it costed a whopping 5.6k for hte brand ( DIamond bright or soemthing). While 3M was around 3.5k or something, went with what dealer offered considering that it'll be easy for re-coat etc. with him than outisde.

II Mileage pattern So far.
Have covered 3000km so far and the mileage pattern is as follows. Predominantly this is for ofiice commute, both end points within OMR. While one side is with traffice, the return traffic is low since i generally start little late from work.
Spirit and Energy - That's my Honda Jazz-mileagepattern.jpg

Last edited by vigneshA : 19th June 2012 at 20:58.
Old 26th June 2012, 20:40   #11
BHPian

II Service update

Did my second free service ( 3rd month or 5000km) today, which was due for this month end.
  • Only Engine oil change - and cost was 1145. No labour was charged.
  • I had run into a bad road patch and bottom scrapped a couple of times badly. Had asked the S.A to check. he told me there were minor scratches on the cross-beam and nothing major. Wanted to see for myself but couldnt since they had power issue in the morning.
  • Checked with him on the tyre rotation - he said its enough if we do it at 10k km? Is this fine and also do we need to get spare tyre into tyre rotation any earlier?

One quirky observation - is that I can feel the horn vibration on the accelearator pedal (even with my shoes on) . Not sure if everybody else is feeling this too. Gives a quirky feeling.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
Checked with him on the tyre rotation - he said its enough if we do it at 10k km? Is this fine and also do we need to get spare tyre into tyre rotation any earlier?
I would suggest alignment, balance and rotation at 5K kms. You can do 5 tyre roation or just 4 tyre. Worked for all my cars. Never had an unevenly worn tyre ever.

I had the horn vibration initially. No longer there. Do you feel any vibration on your gear stick?
Old 27th June 2012, 23:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I would suggest alignment, balance and rotation at 5K kms. You can do 5 tyre roation or just 4 tyre. Worked for all my cars. Never had an unevenly worn tyre ever.

I had the horn vibration initially. No longer there. Do you feel any vibration on your gear stick?
Thanks..The owner's manual doesnt seem to recommend this for the 3rd free service as well. Does it?
Lets hope horn vibration goes off slowly. Luckily I dont have a vibration on gear shift lever. is there an issue there?
Old 28th June 2012, 00:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

I religiously align, balance and rotate my tires every 5000kms. Some companies say 8000kms. Worked for me and never had an issue. Call me paranoid.

I also do the same for my RC cars to extract best performance on track.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:41   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the car!!

btw one quick question. Do you know how to open the boot when the car is still on? I cant find a switch for it which does the job(considering most cars have it) and i have to switch off the car everytime to auto unlock the doors or is it like that?

btw regarding the auto central locking, yes the only way to lock the doors apparently is to use the drive side lock which will lock all doors apparently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks