Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 21:17   #1
BHPian

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)

Hello all!
Before I continue, in order to really enjoy reading this post, I would strongly suggest you visit my earlier thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ss-my-car.html which is a pre-cursor to my ownership thread. I’m sure you will love the intro.

Well, taking it from where I ended in my forum, I was confused like hell on deciding which vehicle to buy.
Everyone had a different advise:
-Don’t even think of a second hand vehicle: can you manage the expenses involved in maintaining it?
-You won’t keep a car for more than a few years… don’t buy a new vehicle, the depreciation will kill you once you re-sell it.
-Try the VW Vento
-Try the Skoda Rapid
-Stick to SUV’s: suits your personality
-Get a luxury sedan: suits your stature

I HAD HAD ENOUGH!
Every weekend I was thinking “This week I will ride my new pride.” The weekend started with me running from pillar to post trying to get a good pre-owned vehicle, and ended with disappointment.

I finally shortlisted 3 vehicles(refer my intro post):

A 2008 Skoda Superb AT, a 2011 Scorpio VXI (I think that’s what they call the top end, with the gizmo’s, since that is what it was), and a new Honda City SMT. The Endeavor was out of my league since the Loan figure could not match it (Sigh!)

A lot also depended on my loan approval: The Superb was on offer through my loan agent, thus he was pushing me towards it. I was avoiding it since it was pretty old. But since I had made up my mind to close the deal in a week, whatever may be available out of the 3, I did not totally discard the idea. Besides, the AT was not a bad deal with the features, sun roof et al.

My Pre-owned loan was finally approved.

I rushed in to Carnation, through which I was being offered the Scorpio. I had made up my mind that whatever I was to get had to happen on the coming weekend. Unfortunately, the scorpio was difficult on 2 fronts. First, they were unable to give me a TD before Monday, and secondly, they were not bringing the cost below 10L at all.

During all this, I took a TD of Honda City. The minute I sat in the car, it felt as if the seats have been custom made for my comfort. That was the first shot which changed my mind to a Sedan. But the minute I drove it, I felt otherwise: the TD vehicle had a very hard clutch, much harder than my earlier Fiat 1100D! I wrote it off.

Till then, I had had no luck with the Scorpio…. Come Friday, and I was getting restless. I just had to get a new vehicle on Saturday (notwithstanding the fable of not buying iron on Saturday!). Must say, the Honda Sales agent was quite pressing, and despite me almost saying no, he convinced me to try a clutch on another new vehicle, which was much smoother. Another nail hit on the head.

I still hadn’t given up on the scorpio. But there was no luck from the SA at Carnation attempting to strike a deal. He, in fact, told me that Carnations Senior official had wanted that vehicle for his friend, and he had held it for me, so no discount. I would’ve still said ok, had he closed the deal on Saturday. He told me Earliest Tuesday. I thanked him for finally making it a bit easier for me not to go in for Scorpio.

Friday, I visited Honda and negotiated for a deal. No discounts, but threw in a rear camera and rear parking sensors. Ok given from my end, I asked them to get me a Honda SMT, in White.
Whites not readily available.
SMT, Golden Beige?
Would take a month or so!!
Any Other SMT?
No SMT’s immediately.
What do you have now?
Sir, we have a VMT Golden Beige available now, 2012 edition.
Hold it for me. I will take this vehicle tomorrow.
Sure Sir, Aap hi ki gaadi hai, jab le jaayen!
Friday evening, I called them and told them I’m coming in to complete the paperwork and will give them the cash and cheque tomorrow morning. Surprise Surprise! The VMT Golden Beige sold off!
I lost it, and said I’m calling it off!!!
Called up my old Loan Agent and asked him about the Superb (remember this, friends?), if I can buy it on Saturday. While I awaited his confirmation, Honda calls me and again tells me that they have another VMT Golden Brown available for me!!!!
I remind myself of a few days back when I had no loan approval, no vehicle, nothing. And here I had 2 vehicles and 2 loan approvals!
Even as I was rushing to Honda at 7 in the night to give them the cheque, I was thinking hard whether to get the Superb.
My better half, who had been patiently noticing all my whims and fancies with a smile on her face, finally bumped in and put her foot down: buy a new vehicle-period.
You know what happens when the Home Ministry finally decides to call the shots: Cheque promptly handed to Honda. Delivery tomorrow afternoon after giving the cash down of 2L.
Not a wink of sleep in the night!
Saturday, a mad dash to the bank for cash withdrawl, and then back to Honda for giving a final nod. I was told to return at 3 PM for the vehicle.
Reached at 10 to 3, and waited for appr 20 mins for another delivery before mine, and then the SA explained the vehicle and paperwork details. A quick PDI done, I gave a final NOD. A few customary snaps, bouquets and a box of haldiram sweets later, We finally slid into the vehicle, and cautiously drove off!

My description:
While I have ridden in a few luxury vehicles earlier, I haven’t driven any sedans, except for the TDs. My dad still owns a Fiat 11D (not mine, his own: he still does not want any other vehicle), so you know what I say.
I love the Golden Angel no end! it has changed my driving style to a more sedate and sane one. When on my Alto, I just could not understand why the sedans never used the power they had: I could jump off a speed breaker, while them slowing down used to take ages. I can very well empathize with all my co-owners now, who have learnt the art of keeping their horses harnessed till required.

I drove at the RPM at not beyond 2K, and speeds not beyond 60. only occasional spurts to 80 at 3K RPM.--- till the first servicing at 1 month, close to 800 KMs later!

After the first service, I tried the accelerator a little harder, and did the vehivle respond, I was soon cruising at 110-120, beyond which I did not dare to go. This is one amazing monster when pushed, while a city slicker (pun intended) when prowling around the town.

The looks are to kill for. I love the arrow shaped design, and have suddenly developed a liking to the tail cluster. While still no match for the contemporary Verna, it still is a head turner.

Indicators on the ORVMs, blue day running backlights on the console, cruise control are some of the amazing features on the GA (Golden Angel).

The MID blows me away. Besides other features, it shows realtime FE in a bar representation, which has further made me lighten my right foot on the accel. Looks good to see FE touching 40 at times!

My Average normally remains around 13.5-13.8, with speeds around 60-80, and appr 20 Mins inching traffic in a 50 mins drive everyday, with 75% AC.

There are some inconsistencies in the internal finish, but nothing major. For example, if you notice the passenger side door handle trim, you will notice some gap in the same (refer Pics below).

There are strategically placed tweeters on the front doors(refer pics).Their effectiveness, IMHO, can be felt only beyond 50% of volume.

The headlight in itself seems slightly weak. However, mixed with the fog lamps (only on V ) it does a fairly ok job.

I am always on the lookout for co-owners, especially with chrome grills: only on V Models. However, you can buy a chrome grill separately as well.

The Front Armrest is better than Verna in terms of range and height.

The drive in itself is much better than Verna – Verna would wrench the passenger’s guts out even on straight roads at speeds beyond 80.

A few things I feel need to be improved:
  • Ground clearance. It kills me when I feel the thump when GA bottoms out on slightly high / wide speed breakers. This happens mostly when GA is loaded at least 2+2. with me alone, I don’t recollect this happening so far.
  • Foot well – seems cramped for slightly wide footed drivers like me. I don’t feel the need of a dead pedal, since never used one, and also since I normally take my foot completely off the clutch when on top gear.
  • Auto Window Roll-Up Relay switches cannot be installed on the city without cutting wires / voiding warranty. I have left windows open while locking the car more than once. Please, Honda, do something about this.
  • Maybe a little more effective AC. ACC?
  • While the alloys are 10 Spoked on V Models,I feel they could be better designed, something like on Linea, or even Manza.
  • I guess with the new rule of no external tinting on the glass, it’s a matter of time before the companies introduce self tined glasses. Eagerly await the same.
I have installed the following Accessories:
1. A Motevo Instrument (Around 32K) for Honda City– something like a Caska Unit. It has the following:
Bluetooth connectivity – sure does connect, and I can hear the other’s voice. But the Mic is not very sensitive, and I do have to shout while speaking. Besides, it does not display the names along with the numbers, neither does it store your phone directory.

GPS – It uses Map My India Maps, and ideally should be updated once every few months for appr 1K. Decent, does the intended job. Used it a few times. Only once did it not catch the GPS satellites. Will test it some more.

USB – Good. Shows pics, vids, and songs listwise on the screen. Will tell you more on that with the pics uploaded.

CD – standard

Aux & IPod – connected from inside the glove compartment. Not used any till now.

TV Guide – I guess it’s still not activated in India.

The Honda Guys were charging me 57 K for a Caska! Daylight Robbery? Good I checked outside.

2. Leatherite Beige colored seat covers. Look good on GA! But the heat always has my back in sweat.

3. A Very Chunky looking soft steering wheel cover! Superb to feel! Also, does not burn your hands when you get in the vehicle after parking it under the sun for a few.

Next change – shift my JBL 1200w Bass Tube and Sony Explode 4 Ch Amp from my Alto to Honda, and upgrade the stock speakers. That should cover all my basic necessities!

GA has changed my life. How? Since the day it came, I have started enjoying my life knowing that I can fulfill even my wildest dreams. I have changed from a sedentary lifestyle to a (much needed) active one. I now walk 5 Kms a day every day, and have lost a few inches! Just so that I look good with my GA

Do I regret the decision of owning GA? Not in the least!.
But, being a Libran, the pendulum always swings. Maybe an SUV would’ve been a good choice. Maybe the Verna could’ve been a better option. But then life is full of choices, one sometimes better than the other. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Photographs follow.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2012 at 18:09. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for better readability
00nuts001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 21:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)

Here are the pics for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183711.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183752.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183809.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183824.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183853.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183916.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183924.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_183932.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184003.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184020.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184028.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184048.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184056.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184103.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184120.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184132.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184137.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184146.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184152.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184201.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184237.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184304.jpg  

Living My Pride : Honda City VMT (Golden Angel)-20120430_184316.jpg  

00nuts001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to wish you, Many Congratulations on getting the Honda City.

You have bought the best C segment petrol car, enjoy revving the i-VTEC.

The ICE configuration is looking Nice.

Please post some exterior pictures of your car and keep the thread updated.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Let me be the first to wish you, Many Congratulations on getting the Honda City.

You have bought the best C segment petrol car, enjoy revving the i-VTEC.

The ICE configuration is looking Nice.

Please post some exterior pictures of your car and keep the thread updated.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving!
Thanks for the warm wishes, BlueVolt!
It is re-assuring when somone re-affirms faith in your choice.
I have had GA 2nd serviced.
The SA asked if I wanted Synthetic Oil, and I said ok to it. It's only now i realize that we should stick to mineral oil for the first few thousand KMs.. On the hindsight, i feel the SA should have told me this. I WILL speak to him on my third service.
However, the engine has turned super smooth.
It could be my imagination, but i feel after the 2nd Service, GA's power delivery is more linear. the spurt has slightly come down, but the engine revs smoothly till 140. ( I raced down another Honda City, and a Hyundai Getz, which also ran till 140 before backing out).
If I may ask the Gurus what other changes can I expect on the second service completion?
00nuts001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, you seriously would enjoy the vehicle. But, gr rid of that furry steering cover.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congratulations, you seriously would enjoy the vehicle. But, gr rid of that furry steering cover.
Thanks Cardeep! I admit it is peculiar, but quite useful when you step into a very hot vehicle. The steering doesn't burn your hands!
Old 29th May 2012, 10:24   #8
BHPian

Me and my two horses...

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_101538.png
Views: 11688
Size:  649.3 KB

The rear 3/4 has grown on me

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_101710.png
Views: 11624
Size:  488.4 KB

The front arrow.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_102036.png
Views: 11564
Size:  427.0 KB

Some idiot has scraped the rear left end slightly while GA was parked outside. Can anyone suggest a good solution?

Name:  ForumRunner_20120529_102305.png
Views: 11498
Size:  561.8 KB
00nuts001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 11:55   #9
BHPian

The first long trip done on my GA! Incidentally, my longest so far.
me and my BIL drove from Gurgaon to Lucknow and back, middle of the week. Distance 550 KMs.
Took the Agra Kanpur route which is 50 KMs more, but the road was amazing.
Speed - I hesitatingly started at 100 KMPH. couldnt do faster till Agra. once on the Agra Kanpur Highway, took it to 120 on cruise control. later, 140 on cruise!. max speed touched: 160 for a few secs. Could I have gone faster?
FE - 12 Flat. cant expect more with speeds beyond 120, can I?
AC - despite the scroching Jun heat, and the lack of sunfilms, the AC did chill us, and we kept it on level 2 or 3 max.
NVH - supersilent at speeds upto 140. nobody could tell speeds at 120 till you looked at the speedo.
Brakes - very effective. a slight nudge and the vehicle deccelarates rapidly. no complaints.
Headlights - 20% of the journey covered in the night. I seriously felt the headlights should be improved. But this could be since on the last stretch (Kanpur to Lucknow), the highway does not have street lights at all.
Handling - of course at high speeds the handling does make you nervous. Here, the vehicle does a decent job of sticking to the roads. the steering does feel a little vague to my limited experience. at open stretches, this was an arrow. most undulations and bad stretches were covered without a hitch. Incidentally, through the cities, GA Bottomed on only one Speed breaker - good improvement by Honda. A word of advise, though: dont try zipping around too freely at high speeds.
Seat Comfort - Good. my rear did not complain when i ended my ride.
I preferred a well padded seat cover, but went for the leatherite only for the looks. with my weight, a little extra cushioning helps!. A suggestion for Honda (or maybe all the car manufacturers): Please make headrests which can also be moved forward and back, not only height adjustments.
A little about my ICE:
The GPS worked perfectly fine. right down to the last detail. 2 minor hiccups: once after a bio break, the GPS was not locking on satellites. problem solved be restarting the car. Second, when due to recent construction in Kanpur City, the GPS gave me slightly erratic directions, which was resolved by a little common sense. I did not have to ask anyone for directions while travelling to LKO. The only thing is , dont rely on the estimated duration of the journey. The system calculates it based on the prescribed speeds (around 50 - 60 KMPH), thus giving a delayed ETA.
While returning, we realized we could have watched a movie on the ICE!. ended up my BIL watching, and me mostly listening, to "Vicky Donor".
we did enjoy the varied music all throughout, though. (including varios versions of "Kolaveri Di"!)
an enjoyable 1236 Kms of journey.
Without prejudice, i realize LKO driving to be really erratic. the bikers appear out of nowhere. one fine young boy did a cross run, and broke my front number plate!
Other that that damage, I realize that the front charging point is also not working. Any suggestions?
is a servicing recommended?
Thanks for reading and commenting.
00nuts001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 13:20   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. You will enjoy it.

Quote:
But, being a Libran,
Ah! We Librans....

Quote:
My better half, who had been patiently noticing all my whims and fancies with a smile on her face, finally bumped in and put her foot down: buy a new
vehicle-period.
So much easier if someone else makes the decision for us.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 13:49   #11
BHPian

Congrats! It is a nice smooth car.

I also own a City and we have named our SMT as Golden Arrow.
Old 15th June 2012, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Looks cool. Get a Modulo grill and it will be complete.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok
Congratulations on your purchase. You will enjoy it.

Ah! We Librans....

So much easier if someone else makes the decision for us.
Hi! Seems you speak from experience! Nice to know another libran! Any comments kn my queries?
Old 19th June 2012, 09:45   #14
BHPian

A big jolt. While just starting for office, i noticed the airbag light was on. I tapped the horn, and then it wouldnt go off! Till i pulled the ignition key out. I have rushed to *** and their engineer working on it. He says the ICE wiring has been uaed by snipping the original wires. I remember categorically being told by Reliance Auto, where i had got my head unit installed, that they would only harness and the original wiring would not be touched.
What a fix. I'm really in deep.
Help?
Old 20th June 2012, 11:19   #15
BHPian

Update:
Vehicle still with Pearl Honda SS.
Problem still not isolated! one whole day!?!
I have been calling them every hour to find out. Feeling's like a close relative in medical emergency. They say their technicians, electricians, everybody working on it.
Problem is, SS guys say it is because of the Motevo unit, since the wiring has been cut, while the Relaince Service men, whom i had sent to the SS, say the wires have not been cut at all.
How will I ever solve this out?
HELP!

Most Viewed