Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 15:33   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
For me, DTE or real time mileage takes a back seat and safety is paramount. Given a budget, I prefer a 3-point seat belt, ABS and airbags than DTE or mileage indication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
As said by A350XWB, Safety is the most important aspect and I was talking of the safety features of cars offered by Hyundai and I would never sacrifice safety for some add-on's like mileage informators etc etc.
I agree with both on Safety part. Me too will not compromise on safety at any cost. But when you pay more than 7 lakhs for a hatch then there is no excuse for not having creature comforts lie DTE, etc. That too when Hyundai claim that they had loaded the the Indian version will all gadgets from international version.

Also why did Hyundai removed one reverse lamp? What about that aspect when reversing in dark narrow spots?
Old 19th June 2012, 15:50   #152
Senior - BHPian

I dont intend to start a debate here. But since its in line with the on going discussion. I have a Punto EP since Jan 2011 and i have hardly bothered to have a look at DTE and Real time mileage. I personally prefer the orange lamp that reminds me that its in reserve and than i simply top it up and reset the Trip meters and do my math and know the mileage. On the other hand, i feel safe when i am driving the Punto on highway knowing its well equipped with safety features like Airbags, ABS etc.

We were on a look out for another diesel hatch for my dad and we have narrowed down on i20 Crdi Asta. Honestly i did not even know untill the above posts that DTE etc is not there in i20. We have booked the Twilight Blue Colour on 3rd June and the expected delivery is early July. The SP called if we were ready to change to White as he was going to receive 2 stock cars. But parents liked that Blue and we decided to wait as in no hurry to get one. Let it take its own sweet time to arrive.

Since this car is for dad the light steering and other creature comfort features like reverse camera, parking sensors was a key deciding factor. He is moving from Cedia to i20

Shall update the thread once we get the car.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 19th June 2012 at 15:54.
Old 19th June 2012, 16:33   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I agree with both on Safety part. Me too will not compromise on safety at any cost. But when you pay more than 7 lakhs for a hatch then there is no excuse for not having creature comforts lie DTE, etc. That too when Hyundai claim that they had loaded the the Indian version will all gadgets from international version.
I understand your point, but one truth remains. All, let me tell you, all the manufacturers have this tendency to skimp on something or the other, when they come to India. I have told this in one of the discussions and I will tell this again. Just take the industry leader Toyota. Innova does not offer ABS or airbags in the lower trims, not even as an option. Only VX, which costs close to 16L OTR Bangalore gets dual airbags. GX just gets a driver airbag. The MID is only available on the VX. Corolla Altis J does not offer airbags, not even an option. Consider the price of it and you will be surprised to see the lack of equipments.
Then comes the harsh reality. How many posts can you find in the entire forum criticizing Toyota for selling these cars at exorbitant prices without these features? Almost nil. But believe it or not, it's not only Hyundai that skimps on features. And actually in the hatchback and sedan segments, it's Hyundai that gives the most to the Indian customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Also why did Hyundai removed one reverse lamp? What about that aspect when reversing in dark narrow spots?
For this, please have a look at the picture showing the reversing camera tested in the opening post and read the description. I agree that it's only available in the top trim, but still, it's available unlike some other premium brands.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:49   #154
BHPian

The only way to get safety features at a lower price point is to make them compulsory for all passenger cars. This may increase the prices across the range however but is well worth it in my opinion.

An i20 ERA CRDI with ABS and Airbags will be so hard to turn down.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:44   #155
BHPian

No one has yet come up with an ownership review of the new i20 crdi. I'm still concerned about the steering rattle and AC issues. Some say the AC has improved while others say its still bad. If the AC hasn't been fixed even now, what can be expected of the steering column complaints? Will it crop up again after a few months like it did with the old i20? Some questions still remain unanswered.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:00   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I have a 2010 Sportz and mine's just a 2 point belt.
Looks like Hyundai stopped providing 3 point seat belt any more. Even the iGen Asta model tested by our mods has a 2 point belt. I guess I got lucky getting the older model . I think Hyundai removed it when they did a mild facelift some time in middle of 2010.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:08   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
No one has yet come up with an ownership review of the new i20 crdi. I'm still concerned about the steering rattle and AC issues. Some say the AC has improved while others say its still bad. If the AC hasn't been fixed even now, what can be expected of the steering column complaints? Will it crop up again after a few months like it did with the old i20? Some questions still remain unanswered.
Shall come up with one soon. waiting for the ODO to touch 5k. Its close to 4k. couple of weeks more and I am sure to touch the 5k mark. Till date, there has been no steering rattle or AC issues. Gives steady mileage of 17+ in city traffic.

And to add to the point, my igen i20 CRDi Magna has only 2 point seat belt for the middle passenger.
Old 20th June 2012, 13:52   #158
BHPian

[quote]Could anyone please tell me the colour of the car that was tested? [quote]

Congrats GForce - btw the color is Ember Grey
Ranjimso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 00:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Shall come up with one soon. waiting for the ODO to touch 5k. Its close to 4k. couple of weeks more and I am sure to touch the 5k mark. Till date, there has been no steering rattle or AC issues. Gives steady mileage of 17+ in city traffic.

And to add to the point, my igen i20 CRDi Magna has only 2 point seat belt for the middle passenger.

Please do come up with a review soon. When did you purchase your car? Is the AC a chiller or just average?
Old 21st June 2012, 10:50   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
Please do come up with a review soon. When did you purchase your car? Is the AC a chiller or just average?
I would be doing a long trip this weekend. Shall come up with the review next week. I booked the car in the second week of April and got it delivered the next week.

The AC is a chiller for the front passengers, but not so at the rear. There are vents directed towards the rear under the front seats.( noticed this only after going through GTO's review ). But I doubt if it meets its purpose. Anyhow, the rear passengers and not going to find it uncomfortable. Its adequate.

I have used heat resistant cooling sheets on my front windscreen (Garware, 50% heat reduction-3.5k). It makes a lot of difference to the cabin temperature when you leave it in the sun for a long time. The money is worth spending in my opinion.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post

Dude, that's amazing!! 17+ in city traffic!!??

Its quite contrary to what I have read in the forum from the owners of the pre-face lift i20. Most of them quote between 12 & 14. I have recently booked one & my main cause for worry were 2 things, the turbo lag & FE. But 17+ in city, that too before the second service is beyond awesome. Do you drive with an exceptionally light foot?

I am aware that they made modifications to the CRDI mill. For example, the max torque now comes as low down as 1500 rpm as opposed to 1750 earlier. Maybe there are more changes to the engine than meets the eye/brochure?
Old 21st June 2012, 20:11   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce1980

I am aware that they made modifications to the CRDI mill. For example, the max torque now comes as low down as 1500 rpm as opposed to 1750 earlier. Maybe there are more changes to the engine than meets the eye/brochure?
Their brochure says 22.4kgm between 1500-2750rpm. Is the better fuel efficiency due to six speed transmission? Some where I saw ARAI mileage test as 21+
Old 21st June 2012, 22:35   #163

Hey guys,
Recently clocked 1.5k on the ODO.1st service was due.SA,Blue Hyundai,told me that motor/pump had gone bad hence had to postpone servicing by a week. Later,after a week we gave it for servicing.When i called up the SA and asked him if he could "activate" "auto lock" feature,he said he would look into it.After an hour he calls me and tells me that its not available on the facelift i20.Is this true? Has this feature been overlooked or what? From the review by GTO i gathered that this feature was very much a part of facelifted i20.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:11   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Is the better fuel efficiency due to six speed transmission? Some where I saw ARAI mileage test as 21+
I am not sure whether city mileage would be affected by whether the transmission is 5 speed or 6 speed and you might end up shifting much often if it were a 6 speed compared to a 5 speed. This is because the driveable range of the engine would remain the same and adding the extra gear will only decrease that range in a particular gear. So as per me, the extra gear should slightly decrease the mileage in city conditions and enhance it in highway drives. Experts please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:50   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce1980 View Post

Its quite contrary to what I have read in the forum from the owners of the pre-face lift i20. Most of them quote between 12 & 14. I have recently booked one & my main cause for worry were 2 things, the turbo lag & FE. But 17+ in city, that too before the second service is beyond awesome. Do you drive with an exceptionally light foot?

Well, My city drives are mostly in Trivandrum and occasionally in Cochin. The traffic here cannot be compared to those of Bangalore or Chennai. My daily dose is just about 20 kms of which a max of only 7-8 kms is bumper to bumper. The remaining part is not so city-like which can be done in 3rd and 4th gears. I guess thats the main reason for my 17. Has dropped below that only twice, but that too was 16 + .

The 6th gear is not at all being used by me. Even in highways it is only useful for long and steady drives at high speed.

The Gear Indicator is a real headache. Shall detail on it more in my review.

Most Viewed