Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 17:46   #931
BHPian

Re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
hi,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend who owns an i20, sportz 2015 model. The car is sparingly used and has hardly done 25,000 KM. Recently, the clutch became very hard and the car refused to move. It was transported on a flatbed to the nearest HASS in Bangalore. The service advisor recommended replacing the clutch plate and gave and an estimate of 20,000 Rs including labour. Would it cost so much? Please advise.
Hey girimajiananth,

Is this issue still persisting?

A hard clutch could also be the result of a leaking master / slave cylinder and not necessarily the clutch plate.

If it's under warranty, then it's best to take it to HASS (while the cylinders aren't covered under warranty - it'll future proof you against future warranty claims), else a competent FNG should be able to do the job and will save you a lot in labour and parts cost.

In terms of cost, HASS would charge you ~Rs. 12,000-15,000 for changing the master/slave cylinder. FNGs of course will be much less.

Last edited by sidpunjabi : 25th February 2020 at 17:48.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 05:03   #932
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians.

Need a bit of a help from existing or experienced 1st Gen i20 owners.

I have a 2011 Petrol Magna that has done around 68K, and has been maintained relatively well.

I got a set of new tires about a year and a half ago at approximately 56K and soon after had an issue with the parking brake jaming up while the car sat for about 15 days after I had to drive it through a foot of water.
The brakes and calipers seemed fine for another 5-8K according to my mechanic during the last inspection in December during the service and since then I've done about 3K.

The issue I'm facing currently and having trouble getting a clear understanding of is that very recently, upon normal braking I felt a sudden wobble from all four or the probably the front wheels (can't tell).
The break pressure fluctuated quite a bit while trying to come to a half from 60.
About 100 metres later, turned into a small lane simply to check if something was up and again, felt the same wobble-ish fluctuation in brake pressure while trying to come to a halt from 40.
Since then I've been keeping a close eye on the situation and it's barely noticeable at times while sometimes it's perfectly fine.

My first guess was maybe there were air pockets in the brake lines.

I'd be glad if somebody were able to help, since this is the only ride I have at the moment, and this is a safety concern I can't afford to overlook.
Old 4th July 2020, 08:27   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
The brakes and calipers seemed fine for another 5-8K

upon normal braking I felt a sudden wobble from all four or the probably the front wheels
The break pressure fluctuated quite a bit while trying to come to a half from 60.
You have to get your discs inspected for warping/ wear, and the brake pads for wear.

Also inspect the rear brakes.

Calipers can do their duty for life. It is just the pads that need replacement upon wearing out.

Air in the hydraulic piping will only reduce effectiveness of brakes( eg.brake pedal travel will be inconsistent) but not do what you experienced.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 09:24   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Air in the hydraulic piping will only reduce effectiveness of brakes( eg.brake pedal travel will be inconsistent) but not do what you experienced.
So just to be sure, the pads are the only thing I need to check and get replaced for now, right?

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2020 at 16:09. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old 4th July 2020, 09:54   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
So just to be sure, the pads are the only thing I need to check and get replaced for now, right?
Quote:
You have to get your discs inspected for warping/ wear, and the brake pads for wear.
For starters,

1.please get the discs inspected for warping.
2.If the discs are not warped and have enough thickness left, have them turned (polished or faced in local lingo) at a machinist.
3. Change the brake pads
4. Repeat for the rear brakes too - I presume your car has discs at the rear.

You'll feel the difference.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 12:46   #936
BHPian

Quote:
For starters,

1.please get the discs inspected for warping.
2.If the discs are not warped and have enough thickness left, have them turned (polished or faced in local lingo) at a machinist.
3. Change the brake pads
4. Repeat for the rear brakes too - I presume your car has discs at the rear.

You'll feel the difference.

Appreciate the help so far.
If you don't mind, could we open a dialogue over WhatsApp or email because I have a couple of other questions regarding the car and would immensely appreciate if you could spare a few moments to help.
Or if you could introduce me to another member who's comfortable helping, that'd be great too.
I'm relatively new here and am also interested in forging new friendships.
Old 19th July 2020, 04:32   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
There it was diagnosed as an ECU problem, and an estimate of 42K INR was given for replacement. I got ECM replaced after waiting 4 weeks (Time for new ECM to come from Hyundai, reprogram 2 keys for new ECM, 50km test drive post installation). Total bill came to 38K INR. After taking the delivery of the car, found that right side fog lamp was missing - which was then replaced free of cost by dealership, but the bulb was non-functional after a few days. I guess they had used an aftermarket one. I had complained to Hyundai (using their customer care page) to waive off the ECM replacement cost as it is a part that failed in many petrol i20s from 2010 - with no response at all. Since I had no time to explore alternative options, chose the ECM replacement from Hyundai ASS itself.
Hi, I am facing the same ECM issue. I have repaired the ECM once, and now again the car just doesn't start.
With the new Hyundai ECM is the issue resolved? Did the problem come back in any way? And the MID replacement solve the other problem or was it ECM again.
Because I am worried if the ECM has a manufacturing issue then the 40k+ will be pointless.
Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Quoted text trimmed for benefit of small screen users
Old 19th July 2020, 12:39   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
Hi, I am facing the same ECM issue.
Repairing the ECM means your car may break down again. I got new ECM replaced at Hyundai A** and has been reliable since. It's exactly one year since I changed my ECM.

In my case it took 3 weeks for the ECM to get shipped once order was placed. After that it will take a day to replace and pair your keys with the new ECU.

Since it's lockdown time the times may go higher. Check with service people to get an estimate and timeline for the repair.

The mid issue was not related to ECM. It was present even after the ECM change. They ultimately got it replaced with a new unit to get it resolved.

In my case, I am guessing that it was the 2018 Kerala floods that caused the problem. I drove through waterlogged places where water did not go above tyre/grill levels, and car was running fine for 6 months afterwards. Troubles started after around 6 months. I am yet to take apart my old ECM for inspection, but servicing/repairing an ECM which got contact with water would not be easy. Hence I dropped that idea.

Last edited by SDP : 19th July 2020 at 16:07. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:13   #939
BHPian

Pretty much running into the same issue as discussed above, car stops randomly every now and then.

Hyundai tech's think this has to do with the ECM and are recommending replacing, downtime of 4+ weeks and cost of 40K.

If this is something that's happening with all/a lot of petrol i20's then it should be taken care of by Hyundai, but I guess they really only care about initial sale numbers!

Last edited by vette8991 : 23rd July 2020 at 21:19.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:12   #940

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2012 Hyundai i20 has been launched in India at a price of between 4.73 - 7.67 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

• Top notch quality inside out. New Fluidic styling works
• Class-leading equipment list (auto headlamps & wipers, keyless entry & go, reverse camera, electric folding ORVMs etc.)
• Fast, fuel-efficient diesel engine mated to a smooth 6 speed gearbox
• Amongst the more spacious hatchbacks. Comfortable for 4, or even the occasional 5
• Big, practical 295 liter boot
• 5 star safety equipment & rating. Upto 6 airbags, all-wheel disc brakes, ABS & EBD

What you won’t:

• Underpowered 1.2L petrol engine. Offers mediocre performance on the expressway
• Light, vague & sensitive steering at speed
• Highway dynamics are unfitting of a premium hatchback
• Diesel i20 carries an unusually high difference of ~1.5 lakhs (on the road) over the petrol
• Asta variants are priced in the vicinity of bigger, more powerful sedans
• Hyundai's service costs are usually higher than that of the competition

The 2014 Hyundai Elite i20:

• Review Link

My very first read on Team Bhp, 8 years ago. When I used to keep reading this material every night and then ride to the showroom the next morning to experience it first hand. The review that saved me a few bucks from loyalty discount (made me aware that such a thing existed) and now, a proud, in fact a very seemingly unaltered mind set till date for the past 8 years I have towards my 1.4 CRDi Sportz.

When the Swift was mainstream and disregarding every external persuassion to go with the Swift, I took a stance with the i20 with this thread as my back up. Those days I still recall with fond memories and as I type this, I relive the past but today, it is more than just reading.

Once again, thank you for helping me get it right with the i20.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd January 2021 at 06:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Retrogrease is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 00:36   #941
BHPian

A cousin of mine is facing a strange issue, actually two interrelated issueswith his 2014 sportz petrol.
The reverse camera has stopped working, although the sensors and reverse lamp are functioning. The IRVM doesn't display anything when reverse gear is engaged.

Secondly, whenever the reverse gear is engaged, the boot of the car unlocks along with a boot open warning light on the MID.

Anyone faced these issues yet?
Old 27th January 2021, 22:08   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
A cousin of mine is facing a strange issue, actually two interrelated issueswith his 2014 sportz petrol.
The reverse camera has stopped working, although the sensors and reverse lamp are functioning. The IRVM doesn't display anything when reverse gear is engaged.

Secondly, whenever the reverse gear is engaged, the boot of the car unlocks along with a boot open warning light on the MID.

Anyone faced these issues yet?
Seems like a blown fuse or rat-bite. My guess is rat-bite which can mess up the electronics and make them behave in a very strange way.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 10:37   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Seems like a blown fuse or rat-bite. My guess is rat-bite which can mess up the electronics and make them behave in a very strange way.
Gave the car to my FNG who did some jugaad and fixed the boot opening on reverse. No blown fuses, but one day after fixing it now the boot opens up everytime I crank the car.
Strange!
Old 30th January 2021, 10:46   #944
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRajput View Post
Gave the car to my FNG who did some jugaad and fixed the boot opening on reverse. No blown fuses, but one day after fixing it now the boot opens up everytime I crank the car.
Strange!
Please open the door sills and boot panels to check the wiring and also the connectors of the tail lights.

Check if any insulation of the wires are gone or not?!
Old 19th February 2021, 14:43   #945
BHPian

Cross posting from the Used cars prices thread:

An old colleague is moving back to Bengaluru from his hometown and is looking for a used car (I did ask him to get it from his town since it would be cheaper than Bengaluru but that did't work out).

We came across a Hyundai i20 Diesel Asta on spinny that seems to be in decent nick. Thinking of checking it out this weekend (https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...n-bangalore/s/).

However, I am not sure of the prices. Is 4.96L even close to being resonable for a 65k run 1st Owner example?

Most Viewed