Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 12:05   #76
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
I am sorry but which i20 1.2 model costs over 9 lakhs. The one that almost touches 9 lakh is the top of the line diesel which is not underpowered at all. I TD the newer i20 petrol and diesel yesterday and the 1.2 feels even slower than my pre-facelift 1.2.
I think GTO meant the diesel asta/auto as the variants that cost over 9 lakhs. When people go to buy a car they also have a look at all the variants (though they might not be interested in the top variant). As is the case with Hyundais, their diesels provide better performance than the petrols.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 14:45   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post

How would you rate the CRDi when compared to new Swift/dzire's DDiS in terms of driveability,performance and refinement?
Taking the liberty to answer this (since I believe I understand this topic quite well) I think the CRDi is easily the best. But my opinion is limited to the engine only
rpmx1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 15:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review GTO Loved the attention to detail you have given in every area. Rating the thread 5 *'s!

i20 is a really good car and awesome for city use. I have been using my FIL's i20 on regular basis. But I have found its highway manners to be pretty good too if you intend to cruise at 100. I really expected Hyundai to provide the real-time stats on fuel consumption with the facelift, and yes, its really needed (I believe in every car).

At what rpm of 6th gear does it touch 100 in the CRDi? Its about 3.5k on 5th gear in 1.2 petrol.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 18:04   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Taking the liberty to answer this (since I believe I understand this topic quite well) I think the CRDi is easily the best. But my opinion is limited to the engine only
The DDiS engine basically is also CRDi. DDiS is the monicker Maruti uses to identify the diesel engine. CRDi is the fuel injection method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

At what rpm of 6th gear does it touch 100 in the CRDi? Its about 3.5k on 5th gear in 1.2 petrol.
Are you sure about that? 3.5K at 100 kph sounds a tad too high.
Old 29th May 2012, 18:13   #80
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
I am sorry but which i20 1.2 model costs over 9 lakhs.
The i20 1.2 Sunroof costs nearly 8 big ones in Mumbai and 8.5ish in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
But I have found its highway manners to be pretty good too if you intend to cruise at 100.
Even a Thar or WagonR can cruise comfortably at 100 kph . If you are paying premium money for a hatch, wouldn't you expect premium road behaviour as well?

Quote:
At what rpm of 6th gear does it touch 100 in the CRDi?
From my review:

Quote:
At 100 kph, the engine is spinning over at just under 2,000 rpms, while 120 kph sees the rpm needle at ~2,300 rpm.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 19:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
If you can elaborate how it is the best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Even a Thar or WagonR can cruise comfortably at 100 kph . If you are paying premium money for a hatch, wouldn't you expect premium road behaviour as well?
The vertical movement on uneven roads settles the car and one has to correct the speed more often. Cars like Punto glides at 100 kmph on slightly uneven roads. That is what I would call cruising comfortably at that speed.

Hyundai needs to caliberate the suspension of crdi version in particular to the stiffer side. That will make it even a more effortless highway cruiser.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 20:18   #82
BHPian

Test drove the new i20 CRDI today as part of our car hunt. The Engine is a gem but the pathetic AC is still there, there was sitting under sunlight for a while but even after the end of a half an hour drive, it was not making me comfortable.

Its between the Polo and Punto for us now.
Old 29th May 2012, 21:30   #83
BHPian

Thanks for a very clear and crisp review.i dont think it can get anymore detailed than this.i really dont find any reason to buy those expensive 'Ad magazines' ,with a bit of auto stuff inbetween, anymore .kudos to the photographer.btw I myself am in the market for a diesel hatchback.
a few pointers:
its quite amazing how a minor 'headlight+bumper' job could make such a big difference to the looks of a car.in fact i believe the new i20 looks more 'all new' than the all new swift.the interiors could have done with a bit more fluidity to it.
The promotion was very sedate compared to the 'dud' new Sonata.Still cant figure out what made Hyundai spend so much on the 300-350 units a month D segment launch and basically nothing on a 30K units a month B++ segment.
the fluidic design theme has certainly taken the auto world by storm- in a very short span. the Koreans and Japanese-known for their explicit engineering skills have learnt a new art!!
kallil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 14:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

TOI carries Zigwheels road test report of the i20 today in which they say (and I quote)

"Coming to the fuel efficiency, the i-Gen i20 is way behind it predecessor. While the older car managed 12.47kmpl around town, the new one just managed 9.5km to the litre. Even on the highway, the new car managed a best of just 13.5kmpl compared to the earlier car’s 18.06kmpl. The lack of torque lower down means one inevitably ends up giving more throttle thereby affecting the mileage."

Doubtless they refer to the petrol (manual) version - which is not very clear in the report - but a 25% dip in FE seems huge! With petrol prices being what they are - this would be disastrous if true.

New Hyundai i-Gen i20 : Road Test Page - 2| Zigwheels.com
Old 30th May 2012, 15:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• The fuel tank's capacity is 45 liters. Diesel i20 will deliver a phenomenal tank range.
Forgot to ask one thing. The current i20 takes in almost 8 to 9 liters of petrol after the auto cut-off. Does the facelift also face the same problem? In comparison, my Esteem just takes in < 1 liter after auto cut-off.
Old 30th May 2012, 16:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from a long TD in i20 Crdi. The car was good to drive. Basically we are considering this car for mom dad. So after a lot of considerations we narrowed down to i20 due to its comfortable size and steering wheel.

We took a TD around the city traffic and had no issues with it. Even tried a few U turns. Dad was really happy with its drive ability & its goodies. TD car was ASTA Crdi. Currently he is driving a Cedia and thanks to Petrol prices decided to move to a diesel Hatch which Mom can also drive with ease.

The ASTA variant is 8.53L on road and Sportz is 8.02L on road. So for a difference of 50K we are considering going for the ASTA. The SP said that White ASTA & Bronze Sportz readily available. So once we find a buyer for the Cedia we shall proceed with the booking of i20 Asta CRDi.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 19:53   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Press the clutch pedal and tap the engine start button to fire the i20 up. Hit this button *without* pressing the clutch to access the stereo on and ignition on modes. Ignition on mode means the lights, blower, power windows etc. work without the engine cranking up:
Is this the water droplets getting condensed around the AC vents? I have heard about this problem on Hyundai cars.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:23   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The DDiS engine basically is also CRDi. DDiS is the monicker Maruti uses to identify the diesel engine. CRDi is the fuel injection method.
I meant Hyundai's CRDi. What you probably don't know (as I can gather from your statement) is that Hyundai has trademarked the 'CRDi' name so as a result everyone's using a DiCOR, CR4 (Tata), DDiS (Maruti), Multijet (Fiat), TDI (VW), TDCI (Ford) and TCDI(Chevrolet).
Tata also has Quadrajet (it's version of multijet) and CR4 (earlier DiCOR) monikers, just to complete the list.
rpmx1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:45   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
If you can elaborate how it is the best...
As an Engine, the 1.4 CRDi is better than the Multijet. Just drive both back-to-back, the difference in refinement and power delivery is evident.So
is the fuel efficiency for the power produced. Of course,the Hyundai unit is bigger, but they are in the same segment which is why they are being compared in the first place.
The rest of the car (i20) is a letdown in the driving and dynamics department.
So there's no fun in all that power unless you are on a straight expressway.
I think it is an agreed fact that the Punto is far better and actually the segment benchmark, followed closely by the Figo and the Polo/Fabia.
That's what I meant by the statement 'I am referring to the engine only'.

Mods- I was requoting two posts when I realized I had put back-to-back posts. My apologies. Could you please combine these posts?

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 31st May 2012 at 16:46. Reason: Realized after posting that i was posting back-to-back
rpmx1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 17:28   #90
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is this the water droplets getting condensed around the AC vents? I have heard about this problem on Hyundai cars.
Excellent attention to detail. I missed the condensation of water on the vent while reading the Test report.

I think it is a common phenomenon. In places with high humidity, condensation on the vent happens because the outside surface of the vent is below the dew point of the air in their immediate surroundings.

During the test drive, the Aircon temperature could have been set to the lowest for a long period of time resulting in cooling the outer plastic of the duct, resulting in condensation of air.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks