Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 18:49   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
If you can elaborate how it is the best
Compared to the Swift's 1.3 MJD, Hyundai's 1.4L mill has more power, refinement and an additional 6th gear (awesome on highways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
but the pathetic AC is still there, there was sitting under sunlight for a while but even after the end of a half an hour drive, it was not making me comfortable.
Did you test-drive the facelift? I'm very surprised. Our 1.4L CRDi kept us cold even during the afternoons. I suggest you take a spin again in a different vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallil View Post
The promotion was very sedate compared to the 'dud' new Sonata.Still cant figure out what made Hyundai spend so much on the 300-350 units a month D segment launch and basically nothing on a 30K units a month B++ segment.
So true. Hyundai's argument could be that the i20 is anyway doing 7,000 units a month, while the Sonata needs to establish itself in the premium segment.

On a related note, I might add that the new i20 ad (helicopter lift and all) is LAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Forgot to ask one thing. The current i20 takes in almost 8 to 9 liters of petrol after the auto cut-off. Does the facelift also face the same problem? In comparison, my Esteem just takes in < 1 liter after auto cut-off.
Sorry, we didn't have the opportunity to test this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
So once we find a buyer for the Cedia we shall proceed with the booking of i20 Asta CRDi.
Hope you are prepared for depreciation shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is this the water droplets getting condensed around the AC vents? I have heard about this problem on Hyundai cars.
Sharp eye, Guna! I've seen these droplets in my Civic & C220 too, hence didn't make a mention.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 18:54   #92
BHPian

The i20 CRDi is good buy in that segment, but only when you are ready to pay a price. What you don't get is enthusiasm, unlike and Fiat and swift. The car's refinement levels are a benchmark in that segment. The features Hyundai are offering in it, are more than even most of the sedans in the C segments. Anyways a wonderful review by GTO. 5 and 1/2 for it!
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 18:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Did you test-drive the facelift? I'm very surprised. Our 1.4L CRDi kept us cold even during the afternoons. I suggest you take a spin again in a different vehicle.
Yes the car was parked in the Sun and it took a good 15-20 minutes to get me comfortable even after that my mother was complaining "its just like the other car" in the back seat.

I have a 2010 BS4 Petrol 1.2 and IMO the problem I had this car was exactly the same, if the Cabin was cool to begin with the car could do keep us cool even when weather was hot outside. But it took a long time to cool the cabin after being in the sun for long.

Now I was used to this till i got an old swift petrol 2007 as my second car, the difference was staggering, the AC in that cools me within five minutes of turning it on and I never had to use the last two blower speeds.

Now I tested the Polo and Punto after the i20 (again cars parked in the Sun), they did a much better job (especially the Punto) and we decided we cannot live with an i20 AC no more.
quadbike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a 2010 BS4 Petrol 1.2 and IMO the problem I had this car was exactly the same, if the Cabin was cool to begin with the car could do keep us cool even when weather was hot outside. But it took a long time to cool the cabin after being in the sun for long.
Hyundai and their eyewash fixes !!!! Like you, having owned a Swift before the i20, I can safely say the Swift's A/c was much more powerful and did the job of cooling the cabin even on very hot days.

Have they done any major changes to the i20's A/C? I suspect the steering rattle issue will crop up soon in this i20 too.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:41   #95
BHPian

My i20 had an accident recently and they replaced the entire front suspension including parts of the steering assembly, the Service Manager said they replaced it with components from the new Igen 20 (as per new instructions) and assured me the rattle will be gone never to return.

I took delivery of the car 5 days back and surprise surprise the rattle is back on day 3.
quadbike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:49   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
As an Engine, the 1.4 CRDi is better than the Multijet. Just drive both back-to-back, the difference in refinement and power delivery is evident.So
is the fuel efficiency for the power produced. Of course,the Hyundai unit is bigger, but they are in the same segment which is why they are being compared in the first place.
Thanks for sharing the view.
I have only driven the 5speed crdi and yes if you ignore the lag part, its a brilliant mill that feels like a turbo petrol. Refinement levels are unreal considering cars from segment above like Vento or even laura are so noisy.
Hyundai's association with Mercedez Benz shows its depth in engineering (as far as diesel engines are concerned)
Somebody please ask Hyundai to tune the suspension and steering according to their engine power.
Old 31st May 2012, 20:09   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My i20 had an accident recently and they replaced the entire front suspension including parts of the steering assembly, the Service Manager said they replaced it with components from the new Igen 20 (as per new instructions) and assured me the rattle will be gone never to return.

I took delivery of the car 5 days back and surprise surprise the rattle is back on day 3.
Day 3!!!!! This is bad news for me, as they installed steering related parts from the new gen i20 in my 2009 i20 to "fix" the steering rattle issue and only "said" that the rattle will not return, no guarantees.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 21:21   #98
BHPian

To be honest I think we are going a bit off topic here. The i20 is not without its fair share of flaws, but it also has a lot of positives. A lot of Space, Great Equipment list, decent build quality, great Brakes, good gearshift and looks great ! And last but not least that seat belt buzzer, i20 is the car that taught me to wear seat-belts all the time, now as soon as i enter any car i buckle up (with the sound of the proverbial buzzer in my mind).

Many Hyundai A$$ are showing a lot of complacency that's for sure. And then they insult you with their ratings call !
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 02:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Forgot to ask one thing. The current i20 takes in almost 8 to 9 liters of petrol after the auto cut-off. Does the facelift also face the same problem? In comparison, my Esteem just takes in < 1 liter after auto cut-off.
First of all, this isn't an problem or an issue in previous gen i20's or verna's.

It is not only petrol, even diesel i20's take in additional 8-10 litres. When I checked the the same with Hyundai, I saw the fuel pipe connectivity from the tank to the fuel injector pump and the design is like spiralled, which takes in additional fuel than cut-off.

The cut-off indicator is when the fuel is at it brim level of the tank, and it does not account, additional pipe length from fuel tank to fuel lid, which amounts to additional 3-4 litres.

This is not only restricted to i20's but many others cars, do accommodate additional litre's of fuel than actual tank capacity.

Please read
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...autocut-3.html

This is the same system in the new Gen i20 too.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 16:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Firstly let me thank you for an excellent review. In-fact this review made me go to a dealership to look at the car, but sadly they didn't have any diesel (or top end) models there for a test drive.

You've already indicated that the car feels uncomfortable at high speeds because of a soft steering, I was wondering does this kill the advantage of having all four discs. How does it react under hard breaking from higher speeds.

Also comparing this to a POLO which I think has a soft steering as-well, but I am quite comfortable at expressway speeds, and I respect its stance under breaking, how would you compare the two?

I feel many others like me, would only consider this because of the lack of better options. Its a fantastic car, but not perfect. The little niggles can always be a difference between buyer remorse and happiness.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 17:18   #101
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a related note, I might add that the new i20 ad (helicopter lift and all) is LAME
Lame - completely

When i saw the new ad the first time, I actually thought Hyundai accepted their suspension blunder at this point...

00:21 The old man asks the guys "Excuse me sir, would you be taking the boat"

The reply should have been, "I am already driving a car which behaves like a boat, so i would prefer being air-lifted with a helicopter"
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 18:06   #102
BHPian

Is it possible to get the armrest fixed from the new gen i20 into the classical i20?
Old 1st June 2012, 20:40   #103
BANNED

My friend got himself the Sportz version. Simply raved about the car and its ACC, except for one thing. One fine morning when he woke up he found that the windshield had a crack on it. When he insisted, though the dealership preferred insurance, they agreed to change the glass under warranty. It took about a week or so but was replaced.

After the change was done my friend decided to leave the car for the night at the body shop as he had heard from someone that the glue used to fix the glass takes sometime for solidity, 'and so to avoid any issues he should not take the delivery as soon as the windshield was affixed.'

When he went this morning to fetch his car, the SE welcomed him warmly and took him to his car. And here comes the 'Sakian' ending. The car stood there inviting him for a ride. But then the new windshield had cracks as well.

Last edited by anandjha : 1st June 2012 at 20:42.
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:20   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes the car was parked in the Sun and it took a good 15-20 minutes to get me comfortable even after that my mother was complaining "its just like the other car" in the back seat.
Don't mean to sound persistent but there was definitely something wrong. If you were talking of the petrol, that's still believable. However, of the three variants, we spent the maximum time with the diesel i20 (4 days) and the air-conditioner worked absolutely top class in all weather conditions.

I suggest you check it out again. Also, ensure that the recirculation mode is activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You've already indicated that the car feels uncomfortable at high speeds because of a soft steering
Not only the steering. Even the suspension itself isn't planted, while the rear gets all bouncy.

Quote:
How does it react under hard breaking from higher speeds.
It reacted very well when braking hard in a straight line.

Quote:
how would you compare the two?
The Polo definitely has superior highway manners. As an overall product though, the i20 diesel owns the Polo diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Is it possible to get the armrest fixed from the new gen i20 into the classical i20?
I don't see why not. Here is another option for you : Link
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:05   #105
BHPian

I fully support GTO on the AC part. I have been driving my igen i20 CRDi for the last 1 month and it handles the Kerala Summer very well. I have never had any issues with cooling. Maybe, after a couple of hours in hot sun, it may take some time for the cabin to cool. But that is the same case for any car, right?

And thanks to GTO, i found that my i20 has vents under the seats for the rear passengers. I never noticed that even after more than ine moth of ownership.

Shall come out with a detailed ownership report soon, but shall sign off here with the the main part..kitna deti hei? Driven 3k in the last 1 month. gave me a constant average of 17-18 kmpl. That includes both city and highway mix. On one occasion I was forced to an average speed of 50-60 kmph due to heavy rains on a Trivandrum-Cochin trip and she returned the favour with an impressive 22+ kmpl. Guess the "under standard driving conditions" works well here.
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed