Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 01:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Thanks ! Will look forward to your experience with these. I'll probably go the Amazon way too, when it's pad change time.

Another Q. Was 14.5kmpl the FE indicated in the dash console? Or calculated top up to top up?
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thanks ! Will look forward to your experience with these. I'll probably go the Amazon way too, when it's pad change time.

Another Q. Was 14.5kmpl the FE indicated in the dash console? Or calculated top up to top up?
bhuvan,

Would HASS change the replace the brake pads with the ones we provide or should we look at some independent garage to get this done ?
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Yes, if you have friends/relatives coming down from the US, you should definitely get pads from there. More variety, and way cheaper. 14.5km/l is using the top-up method. Mine is one of the first Civics that was produced and did not come with the FE indicator. The FE indicator was added in the 2009 mid-life facelift if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
bhuvan,

Would HASS change the replace the brake pads with the ones we provide or should we look at some independent garage to get this done ?
HASS should not have a problem in replacing it as they anyway charge around INR 5-600 for replacing brake pads as labour charges, over and above the 6-7k of the apds cost. So it is still revenue for the service centre and only a really anal service advisor will refuse.
Old 9th June 2012, 20:11   #19
BHPian

Random click from today morning on my cell phone camera. All natural snap, no editing done whatsoever.
Bad news, had clicked a bunch of really nice photos today evening using my Lumix Superzoom, including a video of the FFE in all its glory, but the memory card went kaput. All attempts to recover the pics and videos failed, so I'll just have to get a new one, and do it all over again.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-img_20120609_105732.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2018 at 08:37. Reason: As requested
Old 9th June 2012, 21:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Random click from today morning on my cell phone camera. All natural snap, no editing done whatsoever.
Apologies for joining the party late. Congratulations on getting a well-maintained, superb-looking Civic. The new headlights give your Civic a subtle aggression which is great. And with that FFE, you have solved one perennial problem faced by all of us Civic owners - the poor low-end throttle response. What other mods have you planned by the way?
Old 9th June 2012, 21:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Apologies for joining the party late. Congratulations on getting a well-maintained, superb-looking Civic. The new headlights give your Civic a subtle aggression which is great. And with that FFE, you have solved one perennial problem faced by all of us Civic owners - the poor low-end throttle response. What other mods have you planned by the way?

Hey,
Thanks a lot for your compliments. They are much appreciated. The FFE aids a lot in urban driveability and has also increased my FE as I don't need to keep revving/slipping the clutch to amble along. The K&N typhoon adds to the mid-end, and we all know the top-end of the civic, like most Honda's is anyway strong.

I was really looking forward to get a turbo put in. Had earmarked a budget of 2Lakhs for it. But after much research have realized that 3-4 Lakhs is a more realistic budget, so have put this on hold, not for lack of funds, but for the fact that I will be spending almost 70% of the cars value to turbo it. Your thoughts are welcome.
Old 10th June 2012, 22:22   #22
BHPian

Congrats Sumeet! She's a beauty and has terrific interiors. Almost every new person who sits in my Civic talks about interiors...so yes, a used Civic for that price makes a terrific buying sense, considering Honda's reliability.

My Civic has done 70k and I will start with subtle up-gradations shortly, first one being 16 or 17 inch dubs and then the HIDs etc.

Enjoy the ride, it looks sparkling new.
Old 10th June 2012, 23:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Congrats Sumeet! She's a beauty and has terrific interiors. Almost every new person who sits in my Civic talks about interiors...so yes, a used Civic for that price makes a terrific buying sense, considering Honda's reliability.

My Civic has done 70k and I will start with subtle up-gradations shortly, first one being 16 or 17 inch dubs and then the HIDs etc.

Enjoy the ride, it looks sparkling new.

Hey,
quick question, who is Sumeet?
Old 17th June 2012, 00:20   #24
BHPian

Hey BHPians. Am just back from a visit to the petrol pump and guess what. 515 Kms of total Chennai city driving on one tank. I filled the tank till absolutely no more fuel could go in and the calculations revealed an efficiency of 13.1km/l. It is almost like the car realized that the fuel prices have been hiked and has upped the ante on efficiency. Earlier I'd get around 11.5-12Km/l in the city with similar driving styles.
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 19:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey BHPians. Am just back from a visit to the petrol pump and guess what. 515 Kms of total Chennai city driving on one tank. I filled the tank till absolutely no more fuel could go in and the calculations revealed an efficiency of 13.1km/l. It is almost like the car realized that the fuel prices have been hiked and has upped the ante on efficiency. Earlier I'd get around 11.5-12Km/l in the city with similar driving styles.
That's an unusually high number - I get 9 kmpl in the city. Driving conditions -

- Air conditioner ON all the time
- Destination is usually 15 mins away.
- Speed rarely crosses 40 kmph
- Multiple gear changes because of the traffic.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 20:12   #26
BHPian

My Driving Conditions
- A/C on 50% of the time
- Destination is 20-30 Minutes away - cover at-least 6Kms on each trip
- Avoid short trips - I walk
- Traffic is not as bad as Blr
- Can easily go in a higher gear/less gear changes because of the FFE.

Good news, have got a new memory card so have taken some photos and a proper video of the FFE. Will resize and post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
That's an unusually high number - I get 9 kmpl in the city. Driving conditions -

Old 17th June 2012, 21:35   #27
BHPian

More pics and a video of the FFE

Here are the pictures and video shot from my camera. Scroll down for the video of the FFE. This time I did rev the car till 7000 RPM.

1.) The rear lamps of the Civic - Very nice and IMHO better than the aftermarket LED options.
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050573.jpg

2.) Front View of the car at night
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050575.jpg

3.) Driver View at night
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050578.jpg

4.) The Rear arm-rest audio control. Contrary to what one might think about the Civic being all about the driver, the rear is very spacious and comfortable(except for the getting in bit)
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050579.jpg

5.) Headlamp with the LED's and corona ring on - 6000K
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050581.jpg

6.) Now with the main xenon beam HID also put on - 4300K
Turbocharged R18 Honda Civic. EDIT: Upgraded Turbo, 0-100 in 7.1 seconds-p1050583.jpg

7.) Saving the best for the last. Video of the FFE. As I've said before please listen to it on good quality speakers/headphones with the bass turned up.
Honda Civic R18 with FFE and K&N Typhoon - Video
bhuvan_prasad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 19:09   #28
BHPian

Did a full-bore launch(dump the clutch at 3.5-4k RPM) for the first time yesterday, late last night, at a signal. Observations:
1.) Tremendous amount of wheel-spin throughout 1st gear
2.) For a faster time one might have to shift early at around 5-6k RPM
3.) 195 section Turanza's cannot handle the launch of a stage-1 Civic. If i go turbo, I will HAVE to upsize
4.) Clutch smelt a bit, not much. Will get an exedy clutch if and when I go Turbo
Old 26th June 2012, 19:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Given these conditions a simple tip for improving fuel economy. Do not go above the 3rd gear. Try this and see how much difference it makes. I use this trick in the city and my Mondeo consistently returns 11kmpl.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 19:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Given these conditions a simple tip for improving fuel economy. Do not go above the 3rd gear. Try this and see how much difference it makes. I use this trick in the city and my Mondeo consistently returns 11kmpl.
I assume you are talking about the 2L petrol Mondeo? 11km/l is really good after all these years. Lovely car
With a stock Civic, with 100% AC, and speeds less than 40Km/H, it would be highly improbably that one would shift to 4th, leave alone 5th, as the car would get totally bogged down, and you just won't have any surge to fill in gaps in traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks