Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 16:39   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Brilliant Review GTO, When I test drove the petrol version I felt it was just mediocre and average in almost everything and the only thing that i was impressed with was the exterior quality which stood our even more prominently in that bold blue color which is also my favorite color in Sunny.

I am glad to know that diesel engine is turbo-lag free and that would be a great boon in city conditions for sure.

Btw, your initial ownership thread format is splendid and look forward to copying it for my next car/bike purchase.

Best wishes for happy and trouble free mile crunching

P.S: Boy! When I checked out Sunny during the test drive, that rear seat for a moment gave me an idea of denouncing my own bedroom
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 16:54   #62
Senior - BHPian

Congrats GTO. The Nissan Sunny is a BIG leap from the Indigo in terms of quality and reliability. Also your review just confirms why I see a lot of these funny looking car all of a sudden on the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Same here, all of them are weird (with the Teana probably being the only exception).
The X-Trail is probably the best looking vehicle in Nissan India.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 21:50   #63
BHPian

GTO, excellent review and here's wishing you a very very happy ownership experience with the Sunny!!

I am just surprised that a brand new car has become the 'beater' car!!!

We are planning on a new car very soon and most probably my Cedia will become the 'beater' in our house!!Japanese reliability means it can take all the beating and still some more!!
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 23:19   #64
BHPian

A caaaaar review couldn't be more precise and detailed than this. Congrats for owning the beater car! I wish you all a trouble free and safe commuting!!

I believe its a very sensible choice for customers who have the typical requirements as yours. A trouble free - spacious - efficient - comfortable - family - no-nonsense car.

OT: Why can't the Japanese reliability and European Ride-Handling & Built be blended?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 00:39   #65
BHPian

GTO,
Excellent review as usual. Couple of questions to you
1) Had not you booked a Etios to replace your Indigo earlier? Remember you mentioning about it.
2) If it were not for your family's unhappiness with Tata, would you have picked up the Manza? or in other words, would you still recommend a Manza to someone who does not mind it being a Tata?
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 07:49   #66
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO - very well written ownership experience. This really gives insight and perspectives of the person transitioning from being a prospective buyer to an actual owner. Also surprised why the Ertiga was never a contender in your shortlisting phase !
Overall, a great choice for the workhorse/beater car for the family !
Any concern/issue with ground clearance ? Especially when the boot is loaded with luggage and/or there are passengers on the rear seat, does the rear bumper bottom out ? I've seen this happen couple of times with my Dzire
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, GTO. I think it's the best car for your intended purpose. I have been telling my father to get a new car instead of his current Wagon-R and the Sunny was in my mind. But my father, who largely prefers to drive himself, shot it down because it's too big.

My only experience with the Sunny is TDing it along with a friend when he was looking for a sedan. Why it got rejected had to do with 2 of your dislikes - brakes and handling. The brake pedal came as a shock to me when I drove the car. The route that we took for the TD brought out all that's wrong with the Sunny's handling. We took a narrow road, no potholes but "typically undulating" as you put it, and one where you are constantly turning left or right, with a few blind corners as well. Maintaining anything like 50-60kmph on that road requires the rear to feel planted and confidence in the brakes - both of which the Sunny failed to provide. The difference compared to the other cars we TDed on the same road (Linea, new Fiesta) was too big for my friend to ignore.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

Nice detailed review. The car looks promising no doubt. On a side note , if you had the same budget and was looking for a diesel car for yourself with rear space not being of high priority what would you have considered ?
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 13:16   #69
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, your initial ownership thread format is splendid and look forward to copying it for my next car/bike purchase.
Thanks Mobike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The X-Trail is probably the best looking vehicle in Nissan India.
I would have to disagree with you on that . In my opinion, the X-Trail has ugly clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Japanese reliability means it can take all the beating and still some more
So true. My Esteem received some brutal treatment in its life from multiple drivers and pathetic roads. Still, the car just soldiered on without complaint. People always say that Tata cars are best for abuse; I disagree. They disintegrate too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Why can't the Japanese reliability and European Ride-Handling & Built be blended?
Now that's a million $$$ question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Had not you booked a Etios to replace your Indigo earlier?
Nope.

Quote:
If it were not for your family's unhappiness with Tata, would you have picked up the Manza?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
GTO - very well written ownership experience. This really gives insight and perspectives of the person transitioning from being a prospective buyer to an actual owner.
Thanks

Quote:
Also surprised why the Ertiga was never a contender in your shortlisting phase !
Answered before, please search

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
But my father, who largely prefers to drive himself, shot it down because it's too big.
Can't argue with that. If he doesn't need the backseat, why lug all that length around.

Quote:
My only experience with the Sunny is TDing it along with a friend when he was looking for a sedan. Why it got rejected had to do with 2 of your dislikes - brakes and handling. The brake pedal came as a shock to me when I drove the car. The route that we took for the TD brought out all that's wrong with the Sunny's handling. We took a narrow road, no potholes but "typically undulating" as you put it, and one where you are constantly turning left or right, with a few blind corners as well. Maintaining anything like 50-60kmph on that road requires the rear to feel planted and confidence in the brakes - both of which the Sunny failed to provide. The difference compared to the other cars we TDed on the same road (Linea, new Fiesta) was too big for my friend to ignore.
Thanks for sharing. I agree 100% with your observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
On a side note , if you had the same budget and was looking for a diesel car for yourself with rear space not being of high priority what would you have considered ?
If I didn't need this kind of backseat space, it would be the Dzire (amongst sedans) or the Swift / i20 (amongst hatchbacks).
Old 7th June 2012, 13:59   #70
BHPian

GTO - excellent review and congratulations. The Sunny holds memories for me because it was one of the first cars I managed to drive while studying abroad. Also passed my driving test on a Sunny.

Your views on the dealership also are correct. Its sad that such huge manufacturers such as Nissan take the Indian buying public for granted. A look at the picture of the extended warranty booklet shocked me. If the manufacturer uses a booklet format from the olden days for a newly launched car, I would be scared of what other things they have taken for granted especially during visits to the A.S.S.

By the way, I've been trying to cajole my wife into having a "beater" car - she has refused time and again - hope your review will convince her. :-)

Last edited by motorguy : 7th June 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Spelling error - apologies.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 14:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO - Thank you for the reply . I am still trying to gather support in favour of the fiesta classic TDi which i really like as a car to keep as a "beater" car. But all suggestions lead to either a swift hatch or sedan. I guess the fiesta classic has no compelling reason going for itself as compared to the dzire.
Old 7th June 2012, 14:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, and a nice review! I liked the term 'beater car' , sums up everything in 2 words.

The only thing I am a bit surprised is the dealership experience. My experience with Oxford Nissan was on the better side, not really what you can call bad. Some places they goofed up but were quite ok in other areas.

What Nissan needs to do is some aggressive marketing and price re-structuring, if they have to sell cars in India. Of which, marketing is much more required, price re-structuring may or may not be done.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of the Sunny there GTO. Always liked your attention to detail - on the official test drives and with your rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I didn't need this kind of backseat space, it would be the Dzire (amongst sedans) or the Swift / i20 (amongst hatchbacks).
i20 ?? I'd hardly consider the i20 a enthusiast car. I'm surprised at your (probable) choice. - Unless you were planning a suspension upgrade.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:21   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Nice review of the Sunny there GTO. Always liked your attention to detail - on the official test drives and with your rides.

i20 ?? I'd hardly consider the i20 a enthusiast car. I'm surprised at your (probable) choice. - Unless you were planning a suspension upgrade.
He got a Sunny which is as bad a an i20 for an enthusiast. He wasn't really looking for an enthusiast car since he already has a Merc C and a Civic.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:31   #75
Team-BHP Support

I took some time, but I finally read the review. And it was certainly worth the wait!

The Sunny makes a strong case for itself in many areas. And the first thing you'd notice when you step in may be the Micra dashboard. But the sheer space on offer, for the rear passengers is simply astonishing. I haven't seen that sort of rear leg-room in any other car, other than maybe the XUV500 and the Superb, off late.

So if you're chauffeur driven and prefer the subsidized dirty-fuel, owing to high running and petrol prices, the Sunny is the best bet for you. If it fits in the budget.

Congratulations Rush.

Your family should love it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th June 2012 at 15:32. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks