Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 00:20   #91
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

@GTO: Congratulations on the new car.

I am in market for a car in the Sunny, Rapid, Vento, Verna segment. Will be very helpful if you can share some thoughts here:
- How safe is to drive Sunny at a speed of 120 Kmph in a relatively empty GQ for an average driver ?
- Can it handle an emergency maneuver at a speed of 110-120 KMPH - Like a lane change and an emergency swerving in GQ type of road ?
- With 5 people on board can it handle a ghat section in 2nd gear well ?

If the above are mandatory criteria would you still recommend Sunny ? Sunny seems to tick all other boxes. The 100-120 kmph handling is something very hard to test in a test drive as the test drives are typically done in congested roads in Bangalore. If 100-120 handling is not safe in GQ type of road I might have to look elsewhere.

Thanks.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 11th June 2012 at 00:24.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 09:38   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
I asked that because the Logan pulls upto 70Kmph in the second gear, so got a doubt whether the gear ratios are the same or they differ..
Will check the next time I take her on the open road. It's definitely more than 70 kph though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
GTO, thank God you've turned the corner and kinda realised the importance of VFM cars.
I've always believed in value-for-money and that's precisely why we promote the cause of pre-worshipped cars on Team-BHP

Quote:
If there's one thing about this Forum that's bugged me is the way in which the average Indian was being encouraged to think more about bhp, revs, redlines, top end performance, tyre burning etc
I think you've spent a lot of time in the Modifications section only. The other 90% of threads on this forum do focus on practicality, driveability, safe driving etc.

Quote:
A car is a mode of conveyance.Period.
Not for some of us, it isn't. We don't view cars as an appliance, else there would be no Team-BHP. Sometimes we drive to get from point A to point B. Other times we go from point A to point B for the drive.

Quote:
If the industry can make cars that are safer, more refined, have less turbo lag, more frugal to operate, less polluting, easier to maintain, more reliable and last longer than they do now then that is progress. in addition if they can look better than the Logan does then it's great .
Agreed. Do remember that cars can do all of the above and still be fun to drive. Example : The Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
How safe is to drive Sunny at a speed of 120 Kmph in a relatively empty GQ for an average driver ?
Perfectly safe, but I wouldn't be comfortable with a higher cruising speed.

Quote:
Can it handle an emergency maneuver at a speed of 110-120 KMPH - Like a lane change and an emergency swerving in GQ type of road ?
It could, but certainly not as well as a Linea or Fiesta at high speed. Also, I must add that, because of the mediocre high speed dynamics, there is a higher chance of you losing control in an emergency manouveur (than in other cars). Best solution : Don't cruise at high speed in the Sunny.

Quote:
With 5 people on board can it handle a ghat section in 2nd gear well ?
Better than any of its competitors because of the zero turbolag & superb power to weight ratio.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2012 at 11:23.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 17:24   #93
BHPian

Terrific review! I wonder if it was a delicate challenge for GTO to pen down an ownership review of a car that's already been officially reviewed on team-bhp.

Sunny is one helluva product for someone looking at a primarily chauffeur driven car. As a product at such a price point, there is only one potential deal-breaker - the brakes. The Nissan dealer stories leave a bad taste too. I also wish that the advertising were more aligned with the product, apart from being a little more mature in its approach.

Hearty congratulations on this true VFM car that should serve you on and on. And do drive safe; rather, be driven safely and comfortably!
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 22:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Saw your Sunny yesterday parked outside your office at C'gate flaunting a slim T-Bhp sticker on its bumper. It definitely looks a little more grown up, a little more sedate and a little more boring when you replace it with the other 3 vehicles which were parked there previously (your Jeep, your City with 16's and your Civic.) Its a car for a more responsible family man rather than an enthusiast for sure.

I totally agree with you when you say the top-end is not worth the extra cash, especially since it comes with the troublesome push-start button. You just saved yourself the headache of calling the Nissan engineers down to your place every time the button fails to fire her up (my neighbour's Sunny faced this very problem atleast twice to my knowledge.)
S2!!! is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 23:04   #95
BHPian

Excellent attention to detail - Thanks GTO.

Just have a few comments to add:
The Sunny and Verito - Both cars were rejected the day I saw the Caaaaaar ad and the 'Are you a Verito man' - The latter was no less than Rupa / Lux Cozy / Dollar underwear vintage.

The Sunny in my opinion would have made excellent sense as a beater but I do think that the rear does look pregnant. Wouldn't the car's dynamics take a massive turn for the worse if the boot is filled to the brim?

Couldn't find any reference to the Optra Magnum - have you addressed it?
In my opinion, it has a lovely spacious rear seat, looks fairly good and has a nice engine. The price was quite attractive too including ridiculous discounts. Was it rejected only for the reason that it was going out of production?
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 14:43   #96
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent ownership report GTO.
I daily pass through the Nissan dealership in Chennai and the "price vs value" attracts customers more to this big animal Sunny. As rightly said by all, I visited the dealership to have a look, but no one from the showroom has followed up till now.

Happy (Chauffuered!!) Motoring.
RGK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 17:48   #97
BHPian

I have tried getting a TD of the Sunny Diesel twice, but at both times I was given some lame excuse and couldnt get one. I did drive a friend's Sunny though and the brakes did not seem all that bad. Maybe its a case of inconsistent quality that many users are finding a problem with the brake actuation.

GTO, congratulations and a good choice of colour. I feel the Sunny looks best in blue too.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 09:44   #98
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post

The Sunny and Verito - Both cars were rejected the day I saw the Caaaaaar ad and the 'Are you a Verito man' - The latter was no less than Rupa / Lux Cozy / Dollar underwear vintage.
1. what a wonderful analogy would love to see the faces of someone fm nissan/ m&m
reading this
2. @GTO, congrats on the new purchase! great choice of colour too, this colour makes me nostalgic about my old jazz (too bad, they discontinued the colour).
3. please keep this thread updated. i, for one, will be glued to this thread as the sunny is definitely on my shortlist along with the jazz(D)/rapid/ecosport (apples/oranges/trucks maybe?) on my return back home.

wish you many miles of incident-free road crunching
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 10:17   #99
Team-BHP Support

The Nissan Sunny has managed to get itself some decent sales number. Their marketing campaign with "Caaaaaar", is a hit amongst buyers.

When my boss walked up to me seeking car buying advice, I quickly said "Nissan Sunny", his immediate reaction was "Caaaaaar"? I was like: "Yes, that one!" He wasn't sure and test drove, the Honda City, Hyundai Verna Fluidic, Tata Indigo Manza, Ford Fiesta and the VW Vento. He took my word and got himself the Sunny. The highest petrol price hike was announced a week after he took delivery and he has always thanked me to drag him to buy a Diesel. His other car is a Chevy Spark and I believe it isn't used anymore after the Sunny.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 15:31   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Terrific review! I wonder if it was a delicate challenge for GTO to pen down an ownership review of a car that's already been officially reviewed on team-bhp.
Actually, it was a lot more fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
which were parked there previously (your Jeep, your City with 16's and your Civic.)
I don't drive the Sunny much. That's my brother parking the Nissan there.

Quote:
Its a car for a more responsible family man rather than an enthusiast for sure.
You can be both, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
Wouldn't the car's dynamics take a massive turn for the worse if the boot is filled to the brim?
They are nothing to write home about, whether the boot is filled or not.

Quote:
Couldn't find any reference to the Optra Magnum - have you addressed it?
Wasn't considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
please keep this thread updated
Will do for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I quickly said "Nissan Sunny
Did my review help in this suggestion?
Old 15th June 2012, 14:48   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Did my review help in this suggestion?
Actually he bought the car a month ago. But definitely used team-bhp as the main resource for research. That includes the advice section as well as ownership reviews.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:25   #102
BHPian

I can already envisage a lot many prospective buyers for the Nissan Sunny -- especially many from this forum -- now that GTO owns it, has reviewed it (and has even raised some red flags regarding the car) and has vouched for it.

After all, when the guru of an automobile forum throws his weight behind the Sunny and has objectively assessed the product (and will, hopefully, continue to do so in the future), what better vote of confidence does one need?

By the way, GTO, I still have your "10 commandments in favour of petrol cars". But, you seem to be opting towards diesel cars. Have you switched over to a new set of commandments by choice or by compulsion (read: the petrol price hike)?

Another query: Maruti/Suzuki was prevented from using the name 'Flash' for the 'Ritz' as the name 'Flash' was already, if I recall correctly, booked by Ford. In this light, doesn't Bajaj have the rights to the name 'Sunny', which it had named for its 50cc scooty some years ago?

Incidentally, I have a friend who still rides a Bajaj Sunny. Imagine if he were to tell people that he owns a 'Sunny'; many of them would assume he owns a Nissan Sunny.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:49   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The Nissan Sunny has managed to get itself some decent sales number. Their marketing campaign with "Caaaaaar", is a hit amongst buyers.

When my boss walked up to me seeking car buying advice, I quickly said "Nissan Sunny", his immediate reaction was "Caaaaaar"?
Well actually that advertisement has really been successful. I am a tad surprised that most members here feel that Nissan committed a crime with the caaaar branding. But I feel they hit the nail right on the head with it. Even everyone I have met till now and told them about the Sunny, the first word they say is caaaar. Which shows that most people's take home message from the add was that this car offers some serious space.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:26   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I can already envisage a lot many prospective buyers for the Nissan Sunny -- especially many from this forum -- now that GTO owns it, has reviewed it (and has even raised some red flags regarding the car) and has vouched for it.
My intention isn't to praise this car . The purpose of the report is to offer an objective view of the good as well as bad stuff. I've continually reiterated who the Sunny is for and, importantly, who it is NOT for.

Quote:
By the way, GTO, I still have your "10 commandments in favour of petrol cars". But, you seem to be opting towards diesel cars.
My daily drive is still a petrol . Gotta love high-revving a sweet petrol engine.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:02   #105
Team-BHP Support

Please do keep updating the ongoing ownership as well as service experience. Your above review and subsequent responses have been most helpful for prospective buyers.

We are seriously considering replacing my wife's petrol i20 with the diesel Sunny, perhaps sometime around Diwali. Will watch your thread closely until then.

For us, the Sunny will indeed be the "beater" car and will complement my automatic civic and my mum's automatic city in the same house.

Whoever has max movement in the day can use the Sunny, this way the civic will also be more and more self driven. We did the math and assuming the Sunny can take over about 1400 kms per month of the family running with the two petrol automatics doing the balance 400-600, we will generate substantial savings in our fuel bills.

Also, I don't need to worry about where I'm parking etc, it's nice enough to be self driven in the city and don't feel the pinch in handing over to any driver. The huge boot and back seat comfort are major pluses in our decision since we have a small toddler in the house as well so will fit pram, luggage etc on pune trips without fuss (the civic boot is just sooooo disappointing).

All in all, a great value proposition from nissan indeed. Let's just hope the dealership experience is tolerable. Having said that, my experience in respect of TD, quote, follow up for purchase etc was quote pleasant at ichibaan Nissan, worli, mumbai. Hope that continues to be the case going forward should we proceed with the decision.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th July 2012 at 13:07.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed