Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 14:09   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The same happened in my case too. My car had only covered around 50k kms in 4 years and they wanted to change the timing belt. I had declined at that time since it doesn't make sense to me when Toyota recommends timing belt replacement at 1.5L kms, then why should the same component in Nissan need replacement in exactly half of that criterion. My car will complete its 5th year this April and has now run 62k kms. I would get the timing belt replaced at 80k kms only whenever that mark is reached. This service interval of 6 months/10k km interval is a scam that is being done by Nissan to enable its dealers to earn more money.
Yes, 6 months is too short, even for the oil change. One friendly Work Supervisor admitted that the oil they use is semi synthetic and easily last 1 year. And the service cost is close to 6-7k rupees each time.

But I do not recommend skipping the replacement of timing belt as it is a rubber part and it's life cannot be measured only by the number of kms the car has run. But you may skip changing the tension pulley if the running is low.
thoma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 22:49   #317
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
As mentioned by you in the post, better use Uber Hire service, than hand keys of your car to an unknown entity.
You bet! As I posted in the UberHire thread, it's hello to them and farewell to DriveU.

Quote:
I am guessing its being done using insurance. Is DriveU covering any of the costs?
Yes, insurance. Will have to ask my brother as he's handling the matter with DriveU (I was travelling when this accident took place).

Quote:
On a side note, if you had to buy a car today with same set of requirements, which one will you get?
While I'm extremely happy with the Sunny, I wouldn't recommend it today.

For a brand-new comfortable family beater, I'd buy:

- Ciaz on a good budget. It's the perfect alternative to the Sunny...with the backing of the most powerful car brand in India (Nissan's after-sales is a NIGHTMARE...I'm glad she's out of warranty now and I can go to my trusted independent). If family wanted to extend the budget, the City.

- Etios on a lighter pocket. Always liked the car for its on-road behaviour (especially that lovely 1.5L petrol). Love it even more after the surprisingly good NCAP ratings. Too darn outdated, although it'll make for a great beater car.

Realistically, I'd probably go used if I needed a beater today. Too many irresistible deals on cars like the Corolla Altis & Civic.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:15   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
But I do not recommend skipping the replacement of timing belt as it is a rubber part and it's life cannot be measured only by the number of kms the car has run. But you may skip changing the tension pulley if the running is low.
But isn't it a rubber part in a Toyota too? Or a Honda? I don't remember getting it changed ever except in my Innova which had covered 1.5L kms after which the replacement light for the timing belt popped up on the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I'm extremely happy with the Sunny, I wouldn't recommend it today.

For a brand-new comfortable family beater, I'd buy:

- Ciaz on a good budget.
- Etios on a lighter pocket.
+1 to that. Even though my car too had its share of issues with parts being replaced under warranty and the AC giving us constant issues, I still feel that this car is really good in terms of overall package. The space inside is insane and while the cushioning and under thigh support may be lacking but over short city rides ( for which my car is used), it gives excellent space. The boot space is huge which also makes those airport runs a breeze. And best of all is the drivability of that engine in city traffic. The turbo kick in that comes from very low rpm range itself makes me smile every time I start the car from standstill ( gives you a take off kind of a feeling). If only the after sales was a bit more dependent and efficient, this car could have become a much better seller.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th February 2017 at 11:20.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:48   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But isn't it a rubber part in a Toyota too? Or a Honda? I don't remember getting it changed ever except in my Innova which had covered 1.5L kms after which the replacement light for the timing belt popped up on the display.
Only the manufacturer has designed it for a certain cycle / time; we got to stick with them no, unless we know the design factors including the material? Maybe Nissan is using a lesser material, I doubt. But for a metal part, say the pulley in our case, we can take the risk of calculating the life using cycles as it do not deform that easily with time alone.

The fuel filter for the Toyota vs Nissan is a typical case; the diesel filter for the Toyota Etios twins last a lakh km but for the Nissan twins (and many other cars too) it is just 10k kms.

Just my thoughts.
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 13:18   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The fuel filter for the Toyota vs Nissan is a typical case; the diesel filter for the Toyota Etios twins last a lakh km but for the Nissan twins (and many other cars too) it is just 10k kms.

Just my thoughts.
I totally agree with what you are trying to say. But so how do we ascertain the exact facts in this case? Toyota using far superior products or Nissan using really inferior quality products? Or both using similar quality products but Nissan acting greedy and recommending frequent change when it is not entirely needed? I have a feeling the last option will be the correct one here.

As a forum, this is a really interesting little thing to ponder over in order to help customers make a better choice then in future.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 13:48   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with what you are trying to say. But so how do we ascertain the exact facts in this case? Toyota using far superior products or Nissan using really inferior quality products? Or both using similar quality products but Nissan acting greedy and recommending frequent change when it is not entirely needed? I have a feeling the last option will be the correct one here.

As a forum, this is a really interesting little thing to ponder over in order to help customers make a better choice then in future.
True that constructive debates can only add worth to everyone except the one who is doing the fraud, if any.

But Nissan, if fleecing, is definitely loosing customers; and I am one who dumped a Nissan in favor of Ford. High cost of ownership (almost 15-17 k per year in my case, and when my running is too low) will definitely drive away their bread and butter. Will Nissan have the guts to dig their own grave by exorbitantly fleecing customers and that too unnecessarily? Maybe that was why I am going with your first option "Toyota using far superior products or Nissan using really inferior quality products?". And it is a general fact that Toyota is one among the top when it comes to quality consciousness. Moreover, since I have the backup of a report from a trustworthy Nissan Work Supervisor on valve failures for customers who ignored changing the belt; unless I investigate more I got to believe it.
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 15:02   #322
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1 to that. Even though my car too had its share of issues with parts being replaced under warranty and the AC giving us constant issues
In 50,000+ km of rough usage, my Sunny has been super reliable. The only unscheduled visit was for the air-con (once).

Quote:
I totally agree with what you are trying to say. But so how do we ascertain the exact facts in this case?
We can debate till the cows come home . I prefer sticking to the owner's manual. Only time I'll disagree is if the intervals are too long (e.g. 15k oil change intervals which I find ridiculously long for our driving conditions).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 15:12   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I'm extremely happy with the Sunny, I wouldn't recommend it today. For a brand-new comfortable family beater, I'd buy:
- Ciaz on a good budget.
Sorry to hear that some call driver crashed your Nissan!

I did a TD of the Ciaz ZXI AT this afternoon and was impressed by the ease of the drive. I have been offered a ZXI+AT for ₹12.5L on road, Chennai, incl discounts for a 2016 model. I'm yet to get the VIN Number. I want your thoughts on this deal, dear friends. Ex-S: ₹1101975, Insurance ₹30252, Registration ₹186435, TCS Tax ₹11019, OTR ₹1329682. The sales person gave me a quote of ₹ 1249682 OTR. The discounts with exchange bonus etc, works out to ₹80,000. Is this okay for this car do I smell something fishy?!

I was sold on the car once I took the TD, the auto box is perfectly tuned. There was hardly any hesitation while downshifting and there were 4 of us on board with the A/C on: that said the A/C was adequate. Brakes were perfect and progressive. I didn't feel it being under-powered and the auto box completely masked the feel I was driving a big car: that said it's almost as big as my old gen '05 Elantra GLS.
Old 11th February 2017, 00:27   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to update here that an idiot crashed my Sunny - link to post.
It's so sad to see such a beautifully maintained car facing that crash. Hope she gets back her shine soon.

Quote:
Yes, 6 months is too short, even for the oil change. One friendly Work Supervisor admitted that the oil they use is semi synthetic and easily last 1 year. And the service cost is close to 6-7k rupees each time.
During the last visit to the service center for a free check up, I noticed 10w30 Nissan genuine engine oil cans from Shell were marked semi-synthetic. They charge around 1250 rupees for 4.4 lts so I had doubts that it might be just a marketing gimmick. Are they really getting semi-synth oil at such low price?
Old 11th February 2017, 01:02   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sorry to hear that some call driver crashed your Nissan!

I did a TD of the Ciaz ZXI AT this afternoon and was impressed by the ease of the drive.
While, I am also in the market for the same car, I have put decision on hold as facelift, Nexa movement and new engines are expected soon. The discounts would only go up, and would be available on 2017 model too, especially after City launch.

Lets not hijack this thread, and continue discussion on some other more relevant thread.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 17:05   #326
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drove the Sunny after quite a while yesterday. Between my two personal cars, and the many test-drive cars that come home, I haven't had a chance to use the beater for a long time.

Must say, for all of Nissan's problems & their wretched attitude toward Indian customers, they sure know how to build awesome cars. The Sunny still feels t-i-g-h-t, the engine is very peppy (perfect for the city with zero lag), the ride quality is awesome, one can't help but appreciate the space when inside and the air-con is a chiller. It simply doesn't feel like a 5 year old car, despite being the only abused car / beater in the family. Not a single rattle or squeak inside! For its intended purpose, I don't think I could've chosen a better ride. The family likes it so much that everyone agrees with holding onto her for another 3 - 4 years at the minimum.

I enjoyed driving her around town last night.
Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse-20170328-20.55.27.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2017 at 17:06.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 18:28   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Must say, for all of Nissan's problems & their wretched attitude toward Indian customers, they sure know how to build awesome cars. The Sunny still feels t-i-g-h-t, the engine is very peppy (perfect for the city with zero lag), the ride quality is awesome, one can't help but appreciate the space when inside and the air-con is a chiller. It simply doesn't feel like a 5 year old car, despite being the only abused car / beater in the family. Not a single rattle or squeak inside! For its intended purpose, I don't think I could've chosen a better ride. The family likes it so much that everyone agrees with holding onto her for another 3 - 4 years at the minimum.
Cant agree more. I bought one of the 1st Sunny Diesels in Jan 2012 and am still loving every bit of the car. I drive in the infamous Outer Ring Road traffic in Bangalore and the amazing diesel engine with zero lag brings smiles everytime. An added point to mention is the mileage - extremely frugal engine.

It is perhaps these reasons that the Sunny is increasingly finding patronage with Ola Primes and Uber X in Bangalore.
aroonanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 08:16   #328
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
An added point to mention is the mileage - extremely frugal engine.
I'm not one to keep an eye on the FE, but will admit it's fun to see the ridiculously high numbers this car throws out (16 - 17 in the city, 22 - 24 on the highway). I have never before owned a car as efficient as this Sunny.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 15:37   #329
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The air-conditioner appears to be the Sunny's Achilles heel. Took the Sunny out for a Sunday brunch today. Noticed that the air-con's cooling has dropped drastically and we were h-o-t inside the car. Tried fiddling with the settings, but it was as bad on the way back.

IIRC, this is the 3rd time in 50,000 km that its air-con has given us trouble. The last was in March 2016 when I'd driven her down to Pune for the Vitara Brezza event.
Old 7th August 2017, 18:42   #330
BHPian

HI GTO, for sure the Air conditioning appears to be truly the achilles heel> I have got it serviced now twice, once at Sunil Shanbaug Garage and one at a local AC mechanic - However the problem stlll has not disappeared completely.

Also I have noticed since past 2-3 fuel top ups, the car mileage has dropped drastically by close to 30%. Earlier from tankful to tankful i used to get approx 525 kms in city driving (AC on full time) - of late get only 420-430 kms... Any idea on this ?

Most Viewed