Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 22:33   #1
BHPian

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review

As sinful as it may sound for a married man, but this was one date I could not refuse. She is sexy, I had a close encounter with her 12 years ago in Europe, it was love at first sight but than reality took over. So there was no way I could have refused a weekend date with this hot and sexy beauty.

Well, before you start judging me, let me introduce you to my gorgeous date…Mini Cooper S.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-1-mini-coopers.jpg

The Mini with me was a classic Cooper S (S stand for Sportier) version. Mini Cooper in India is available in 3 avatars Classic (hatch), Convertible and Countryman. Classic is available in both non-S version (122hp) and S version (184hp), convertible is available in only non-S version and countryman is available in only S version. I will post all 3 brochures later for comparison. Mini is a legendary brand now owned by BMW (originally held by British Motor Corporation). It was conceived as a small car with fun to drive characteristics. From being a small car of 1960s to an iconic legend that is available today, Mini Cooper has come a long way. Very recently BMW announced its arrival in India with prices starting at 25.50 Lac for Classic, 28.60 Classic S, 32.80 Lac for Countryman S, 35.90 Lac Countryman S High and 30.70 Lac for Mini Cooper Convertible.

Front is very classic jellybean with stylish air scoop on bonnet and classy chrome surrounded hexagonal grill. Bumper has 2 large air dam scoops to carry cold air to brakes. Headlamps are classic oval with chrome garnish and house a bi-xenon projector along with amber indicators.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-2-front.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-3-front2.jpg

Rear stance too is classic with similar hexagonal insert with 2 large similar scoops holding rear fog lamps and reverse lamps. Twin exhausts sneak out in middle of rear bumper giving a very sporty look to the rear. Rear lamps look right out of 70s with generous amount of chrome yet sporty LED inserts. CooperS badging is very prominent with large called-out Red S on the hatch. Classic Mini badging is not something that you can miss on hatch. Black flowing roof and black spoiler is sheer delight in sporty styling of the rear stance.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-4-rear.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-5-rear2.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-6-rear3.jpg

Side stance is sporty yet stylish with beefy sideboard, meaty arches and shiny black mean alloys. Merging in the front fender are scuttles which house side indicators and have a very sporty and elegant S badging in chrome. Chrome handles and fuel filler cap add classiness to a modern hatch. Open the door and oval arch with chrome is very prominently visible. Golf club inspired side mirrors are classy in black color.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-7-side1.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-8-side2.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-9-side3.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-10-side4.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-11-headlamp.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-12-bonnet-scoop.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-13-honeycomb-grill.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-14-airdam.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-15-wheel.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-16-sidescoop.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-17-sidemirror.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-18-door.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-19-rear-hatch.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-20-twinexhaust.jpg

Step inside and steep gradient of windscreen adds to roominess inside the cabin, front cabin feels panoramic. The cockpit is very well laid out. It maintains a retro feel with large dial with chrome surround in front of driver holding a tacho (with a digital speedo), a dial right in middle holds the idrive screen and also has analog speedometer on the edge, chrome surrounding it absolutely don’t look out of place. It looks very classy, retro and classic. All buttons are very classic, be it map light buttons, idrive knob or aircon controls. Every control inside cabin has detailed retro feel to it. The round retro dials for aircon are chrome surrounded too. Mini has styling right out of a fashion studio in Paris but classic character is never lost in detail.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-22-cabin1.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-23-cabin2.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-24-central-console1.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-25-central-console2.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-26-gearshift.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-27-armrest1.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-28-armrest2.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-29-airvents.jpg
Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-30-idrive.jpg

Seats are very comfortable with supports in the right places. They are not beefy but still well bolstered. I would had preferred Recaro like sporty seats but these are no less. Strips stitched on seat bottom cushions again take you back to a bygone era. Central armrest again very stylish with roundish look. Music is decent though I am not sure I heard Harmon Kardon. Ample cubby holes and generous glove compartment (for its size). The rear dickey space is quite enough for 2 large duffels and some knickknacks. 6 airbags, DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) are standard on this beauty to ensure that you are cocooned in safety while you push her to new limits.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-21-ufob.jpg

The UFO key (as they call it) is classy to hold. Press the Stop/Start button and the engine growls with passion. Shift the gear to DS mode and fun begins. Unmatched legendary handling is precise and fun to drive. 7.2 sec is claimed for 0-100 which is indeed the case. I wish I could have posted a video of flat-out. Electronically limited speed is 225 and I did manage a good amount without any fatigue from a 1.6 liter turbo charged engine. The 6 speed autobox is slick and very responsive. The power on tap is purely insane from this 1600cc turbocharged engine. The engine is rev-happy with absolutely no sign of turbo lag. It hugs the corners and you want to push her more n more on every new curve. The suspension is rigid, tuned for sporty drive but I found it to be much comfortable than my 320d. I found even standard RFTs (Run Flat Tires) to be more cushy as compared.

I thoroughly enjoyed my date with legendary Mini Cooper S, I wish I had more time but then there is always a next time
rishi_kapoor is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 22:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review

Here are some more pictures of iDrive and console.

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-31-idrive-knob.jpg

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-32-steering1.jpg

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-33-steering2.jpg

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-34-techo.jpg

Legendary Mini Cooper S -An unofficial enthusiast's review-35-rearview.jpg
rishi_kapoor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 07:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Here are some more pictures of iDrive and console.
Hi Rishi,
Delightful car and a delightful report ! Great snaps.
A little over the top with the chrome I thought.
Spotted one yesterday in Mumbai with T plates. Quite a scorcher it was, that Classic S. Off white n black.
Q is whether it'll sell in India ? Not very sure it will.
Like the VW Beetle. Hardly see any of them. Keep spotting only one red Beetle near my place.
However would love to lay my hands on the Countryman S.
Old 19th June 2012, 07:47   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Very nice review. Every bit as enjoyable and good as the official review!

I love this iconic car too. Long years ago - in 1997 I was buying a Gypsy in Madras, from a chap I know there and in his garage, he had an old Red 1959 Mini for sale. Bare bones basic, but it worked very well indeed. However, it was a heck of a tight squeeze even then for someone of my height.
His asking price for the Mini at that time was 1.5 lacs - which of course I did not have! By contrast, exactly at that time, my second hand Gypsy (1988 model) was costing me Rs 75000 to buy!
Lovely cars - next time on holiday I am going to definitely rent one for a weekend and have fun buzzing around the A and B Roads in the UK.
The sad thing here is that what is still a regular joe's car there, becomes a poseur wagon here on account of the frightening prices! I mean if I can buy a Mini One in the UK for about 11000 GBP, then I really wish I could buy it for similar moneys here in India too!
Old 19th June 2012, 07:47   #5
BHPian

That's one of the sexiest cars available for sale in the market right now and we're lucky that Team-BHPians have again proved that they redline the Indian Automotive scene. You are sure a lucky guy who must have spent good time with this legendary go-kart. One question is there in my mind, Does iDrive support navigation?

S@ndy
Old 19th June 2012, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks.
I just love the petrophile designed instrument console.
Speedo in the middle, Revs in the driver's face!!
Now THAT is how you design a centrally mounted binnacle, tata/toyota....listening?
Old 19th June 2012, 10:54   #7
BHPian

The attention to detail is just amazing. Every single stalk has been thoughtfully crafted and that too very tastefully.

And just noticed one thing. The centrally located instrument console is just like my Liva's well almost
Old 19th June 2012, 11:00   #8
BHPian

That was quite a visual treat. Splendid pictures of a truly iconic car. Spotted one in Mumbai last weekend and heck, it was too quick. While I was expecting the typical detailed TBHP review, you have done an admirable job here. The pictures do the talking. The low stance of the car and road hugging capabilities coupled with the stonker of the engine make it the ultimate hot hatch. Now only if VW had the 1.4 TSi Polo in India. I wish BMW launched the Mini with the 4 door version for India.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:19   #9
BHPian

Wow man! It is just the best looking car in the world i feel. I love hot hatches. Every little bit in the car is so precisely styled and engineered! It just is too good.

And nice review Rishi! Waiting for the review on the drive!! The date is still incomplete!
Old 19th June 2012, 11:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great review of a wonderful car. Liked the speedometer in particular and the central console design in general very much.

I think I saw this car near ambience mall, gurgaon last friday or saturday.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rishi Kapoor - recently, I had the chance to be a passenger in the 184 BHP example, a certain red car with an HR26 number plate. It was very fast and very good. If I had the money, an oil well and a secure parking space, maybe ---.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 14:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great detailed review, thanks for the same.

The Cooper S (preferably JCW) has always been one of my all time favorite cars, the Quintessential Hot Hatch!

Hopefully, will be driving one soon
Old 20th June 2012, 09:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its an absolute delight to drive. In 2006 I had this car with me in UK for a month, given to me by my office from their car pool. An absolute delight. Hope to own one some day.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:19   #14
lsp
BHPian

Rishi sir
Assuming you did some spirited driving on the machine, what kind of mileage figures did you notice?

Actually this hot hatch makes perfect sense for congested indian roads and scarce parking space. Pity the price is a big deterrent for most people. :(
Old 20th June 2012, 14:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Rishi,
Delightful car and a delightful report ! Great snaps.
Thanks Guderian, it is indeed a scorcher, will try to get my hands on Countryman too, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Very nice review. Every bit as enjoyable and good as the official review!
Thanks Shankar. I completely agree with you, I would love to own one for city and short drives but it costs a bomb in India and I am sure I wont get much residual value after 5 years. Nevertheless, it is indeed legendary, I too will rent it sometime soon during european trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
legendary go-kart. One question is there in my mind, Does iDrive support navigation?
Thanks Sandy. Navigation is not available as standard but it is possible to add it at a price later (quote for my 320d was 1.1 lacs, so you can well imagine price for Mini )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thanks.
I just love the petrophile designed instrument console.
Speedo in the middle, Revs in the driver's face!!
Now THAT is how you design a centrally mounted binnacle, tata/toyota....listening?
Thanks Mayank, I too loved the placement of dials and also the classic chrome look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
The attention to detail is just amazing. Every single stalk has been thoughtfully crafted and that too very tastefully.

And just noticed one thing. The centrally located instrument console is just like my Liva's well almost
Thanks revintup, console is classic bu still classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
That was quite a visual treat. Splendid pictures of a truly iconic car. Spotted one in Mumbai last weekend and heck, it was too quick. While I was expecting the typical detailed TBHP review, you have done an admirable job here. The pictures do the talking. The low stance of the car and road hugging capabilities coupled with the stonker of the engine make it the ultimate hot hatch. Now only if VW had the 1.4 TSi Polo in India. I wish BMW launched the Mini with the 4 door version for India.
Thanks fuel_addict. I agree 4 door at a lesser price point is right placement for Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Wow man! It is just the best looking car in the world i feel. I love hot hatches. Every little bit in the car is so precisely styled and engineered! It just is too good.

And nice review Rishi! Waiting for the review on the drive!! The date is still incomplete!
Thanks thumpingheart. My date's review is posted on my personal blog and facebook too now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rishi Kapoor - recently, I had the chance to be a passenger in the 184 BHP example, a certain red car with an HR26 number plate. It was very fast and very good. If I had the money, an oil well and a secure parking space, maybe ---.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Great review of a wonderful car. Liked the speedometer in particular and the central console design in general very much.

I think I saw this car near ambience mall, gurgaon last friday or saturday.
Thanks Vibbs, this is BMW's showcase car so I am sure you must have spotted the same in ggn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Great detailed review, thanks for the same.

The Cooper S (preferably JCW) has always been one of my all time favorite cars, the Quintessential Hot Hatch!

Hopefully, will be driving one soon
Thanks Scorcher, I am sure you will lay your on hands on one of these beauties soon. Do keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Its an absolute delight to drive. In 2006 I had this car with me in UK for a month, given to me by my office from their car pool. An absolute delight. Hope to own one some day.
Thanks Altocumulus, I too drove it for a week 12 years ago in Europe, I loved every moment of my drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Rishi sir
Assuming you did some spirited driving on the machine, what kind of mileage figures did you notice?

Actually this hot hatch makes perfect sense for congested indian roads and scarce parking space. Pity the price is a big deterrent for most people. :(
Thanks lsp. I agree this is a great combination of small citi car and scorcher on long drives but price is definitely as legendary as the car itself in India.

I got a FE of around 8-9 with spirited drive that I subjected it to, I am very sure that it is capable of returning 14-15 with sensible driving (based on my experience with other BMW engines).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks