Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 05:08   #1
BHPian

'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic

Welcome to the ownership thread of 'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic

All the words here are my views and I do not intend to hurt anyone. I am an enthusiast and I carry a crave to learn new things about automobiles and will appreciate if you will add to my knowledge. Your esteemed comments are valuable to me.

It all began when I first read GTO's review in Septemer 2009 about the Toyota Fortuner. Followed by awesome reviews by Nilanjan Ray, Guderian, Manuuj and Dkaile, I had almost made up my mind to go in for this vehicle. Since childhood I used to admire GMC when we were in Saudi Arabia, and when we came to India back in 1992, there was nothing of this kind available at that time. This all followed by the so called king of highways of that time - the TATA Sumo was the one that our family procured. It grew on to TATA Safari and then finally the Toyota Fortuner.

Alternatives that were considered
Had to convince my folks a lot for moving into the D2 segment. Mom was the hardest to crack, she was like we could buy almost three Safari's in this amount. However, once she was convinced - the hunt began and the following were shortlisted.
  • Captiva - Test drove the Captiva, liked the build quality and was almost sold to it. Just felt like researching about the resale value and all the hopes were crashed with the results so out of question. Also, I used to keep a close eye on the monthly sales figures posted in TBHP and the numbers here also reflected the same.
  • Santa Fe - Well, Hyundai did not do well in the SUV segment in the recent past and according to me, Santa Fe was too young to experiment. Also did not get to drive the vehicle so any further comments from my side will actually be incorrect data interpretation. Hence ruled out.
  • Pajero - Dad used to drive one when we were in Saudi. The one available here is no different from the one when I was a baby. Did not want to spend so much and get an aged and dated vehicle. I respest the engine of the Pajero a lot and feel that it is due to the lack of dealer interest that the vehicle is not doing so well.
  • Pajero Sport - To be honest by the time this was out, I have already had crossed a year since I had booked my Fortuner.

Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
Sharayu Toyota, Aurangabad was very polite at all levels. To be honest, this is a new showroom here in Aurangabad and the employees working here are well known to me starting from the GM to the Customer Service Manager, Body Shop Manager, Service Incharge, Technitians et all. Aurangabad is still a small town and hence the skilled workforce is limited. All these people used to work in other showrooms from where I have bought different vehicles. I guess knowing people aound is directly proportional to the better delership experience. My Sales rep Athar was my batchmate from college days.

On-road price, discounts etc.
Discount is not there in the Fortuner dictionary out here in Aurangabad. Absolutely nothing. Not even by exchaging my previous ride with them. Onroad price

calculation is as below:
Ex Showroom Price 2 ,195,593.00
Insurance "add on 0% Dep." 82,117.00
Handling Charges 7 ,000.00
RTO 2,88,927.00
LBT 1.5% 32,934.00
On Road Price 2 ,606,571.00

Engine
Went in for the 4x4 MT. I am an outdoor person and love to explore the world in comfort. For the budget I had, it was the best option available. Enough is said about the engine so will not rework on the same.

The 1KD-FTV is a 3.0L (2982cc) straight-4 common rail diesel engine with a variable geometry turbocharger and Intercooler. It has 16 valves and a DOHC (double overhead camshaft) design. Bore is 96 mm and stroke is 103 mm. It generates 170 hp (125 kW) at 3400 rpm, and 260 lbf·ft (352 N·m) of torque at 1800-3400 rpm. Redline of this engine is at 4200 RPM. Compression ratio is 17.9:1.

This engine uses Toyota's D-4D Common Rail fuel injection technology operating at ultra high pressures of up to 135 mpa (1350 bar or about 19,580psig) which is about 8 times more than the pressure of conventional fuel injection systems within a "common rail" that feeds the injectors on all four cylinders (older diesel engines have a separate line leading from the injection pump to each injector). This is combined with a 32-bit ECU which controls fuel quantity, valve-timing, and boost pressure at different engine parameters resulting in best fuel economy and also full utilization of power during acceleration. Pilot injection is also utilized by the common rail fuel system to smooth engine operation. Small amounts of fuel are introduced into the combustion chamber prior to the main injection event, reducing lag time and promoting more continuous and complete combustion. Exterior and interior engine noise is also reduced.

The 1KD engine produces 17% more power with 11% less fuel consumption than its predecessor, the 1KZ engine. This engine was first used in Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, 3rd Generation Hilux Surf and now used in the Toyota Fortuner, Hiace and Toyota Hilux.

Equipment Levels
My Likes -
  • Engine and the way it moves from standstill to the RPM redline.
  • Build quality. Almost all the dashboard components feel that they are leagues ahead of the Safari in terms of quality. Absolutely no rattles of any kind.
  • Loved the updated ICE in the facelift Fortuner. Decent bass in the stock speakers. My score - 7/10. These will be upgraded once my wallet is reloaded! Watch this space for more !
  • Leather seats look like they will be long termers. However with two kids (5 and 3 yr old boys) felt the need to add some kind of temporary seat covers (Towel Type). I hate the idea however this is for my own good.
  • Loved the auto folding mirror accessory. ORVMs close automatically once you lock the vehicle and will reopen when your key position is on the ignition mode.
My Dislikes -
  • Co driver seat should have had electronic seat controls and both of the front seats should have had memory controls.
  • I miss rear disc breaks. Even an i20 Asta ABS has that !
  • Low beam is set too low and there is a need to switch over to high beams on underlit streets and thereby causing trouble to the oncoming traffic. I am a strict follower of 'use dipper at night' but am left with no option than to use the high beam,
  • These horns a suitable for a two wheeler. It should have been more masculine.

How many kms you have completed at the time of writing your review
I was not handed over the keys when they were taking the beast for registration and I was told that they will hand over the Keys to me at the time of delivery only. Since delivery till now I must have clocked around 20 add kms and I really feel like I am the king. I am feeling complex for all the eyeballs staring at me. Maybe I should get used to it now. Its hard to gulp but then I think I have no other option.

Usage pattern
I will usually drive this beast on the highways and one trip will not be less than 500 odd kms.

Comments on the exterior styling & design
2012 Fortuner has toned down its image as compared to the previous model. There have been mixed reviews about the new Land Cruiser'ish looks however when I personally saw the new Fortuner in the Auto Expo, it was'nt so bad at all. To be honest - we had the same tinkle in our tummies when the Dolphin Honda City was launched - but then the design literally grew on our minds and the demand in second car market has not deminished... Turn page to this 2012 Fortuner and it still is a looker.

Looking from the front - the first thing you will notice is that Toyota has also started the family face design theme. Headlamps (now sport HIDs and are auto), hood scoop is a size larger and now gives the bonnet a symmetrical look, New wider grill makes the fortuner look like family, new front bumper now sports a headlamp washer, lower air dam is now all black.
Looking from the sides - only the eagle eyes will notice the slight change in the wheel arch design and the new design alloy wheels (they are still shod with the yummy AT20s and are imports from Japan), electrically folding ORVMs now come with the turn indicators, new ribbed running board, however the remaining proportions are not different.
Looking from the back - first thing you will notice is the new rear combination lamps. The Chrome Garnish which has the FORTUNER name empbossed in a tad different font than the usual, Rear view camera tucked in the garnish,

Overall build quality and fit & finish
I could not find any unusual panel gaps and the paint quality felt very good. No flaws indentified till this moment.

Interior design & quality
the only change in the interior is the dashboard layout and the wood panel trim color. It looks different from the Innova a little bit. They share the optitron, ACC and the ICE. Layout of the dashboard is different in them too. They share the steering wheel with the Corolla.

Interior space and comfort
I guess it is an Indian mentality that the more space you have for the luggage the better. I dont feel the need to have more space than it already has, however I feel that once I am travelling with 6 co-passengers, then the roof rack will make more sense. Probability of me travelling with so many people is rare - maybe once in a year.

Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points
Spot on - A/C will chill your bones. Co-Driver seat could have had height adjustment as I felt that it lacked in the underthigh support.

Engine performance & driveability in the city
Engine is not an issue in the city. However I feel that the size is a tad too big for an easy commute in the bumper to bumper traffic.

Engine performance & driveability on the highway
Too early to comment, however I feel that it should be a breeze. It is a torquey engine after all

Additional comments on the engine
Did not feel the need of additional turbo boost. Engine is very good but I dont understand why in this advanced age of engineering the gear box needs to 'Rock'!

Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.
Gear lever is a great left hand massager on the move. Shift quality is good but I dont like the long throws. I sold my i20 so the long throws for now are othersome. Engine response time is super decent.

Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
Too early to comment, MID shows 10.2 overall till now. I did not take the tank full efficiency test yet.

Suspension & ride quality
I guess the suspension is designed to give a smooth ride with minimum 4 passengers. I feel that the bumps are more evident with only me around and the same gets better with my family on board. One must not forget that this vehicle has rock climbing abilities and hence the suspension needs to behave in this manner. Purely my views. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Handling, on-road behaviour and grip levels
I drove the pre facelift fortuner as well on the highways and feel that the high speed cornering (not adviced on realtime 4x4) is much better on the facelift. Is this the benefit of VSC? Maybe. These yummy 265/65/R17 Made in Japan Dunlops are good on highways. Will give my comments for deep mud once I take this to my farm. More so on this after the Khardung-La trip.

Comments on the steering, braking, high speed stability etc.
After riding i20, it feels that the steering needs a little effort, manageable though. Breaks behaved well and I did not experience any nail biting drama as yet to comment. I am told that the facelift has a better brake kit, but it feels difficult to digest. High speed stability is superb. I used to be a speedster but have toned down a lot. Now I max not more than 120 on regular highways and around a 160 on BOM PNQ expressway.

I feel that the below mentioned points should be covered after I drive around 500 kms or so. Its too early for an honest comment.

- Any particular likes (damped ashtrays, powerful headlights, music system etc.)
- Any particular dislikes (small mirrors, weak wipers, weak foglamps etc.)
- Review on overall practicality (luggage room, ease of ingress/egress, cubby holes etc.)
- Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced
- Quality of after-sales service (if experienced)
- Cost of upkeep & maintenance
- Anything else you wish to add about your car

Now for some Pics from the Stockyard. Please bear with me on the quality of the same - shot from my cell phone camera

'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img2012061900059-800x581.jpg

'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img2012061900060-800x600.jpg

'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img2012061900061-800x600.jpg

'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img2012061900063-800x600.jpg

More pics from the Delivery Day to follow.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2012 at 13:20. Reason: Correcting RTO Tax Amount, as per your post on Page 2 of this thread
Ahmed is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 08:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic

Thanks for a nice report. I am absolutely in love with this beast and just like you it started with that awesome review by GTO. Congratulations on owning one of the best SUV in the market today. Waiting for more pictures.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow !! a nicely written review.

Do post some pics of the interiors.

Hope you could do me a small favour - PLease play a DVD which has dolby recording and let me know if fortuner is aable to bring our the dolby effect. There is a dolby decoder in-built into the HU.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:15   #4
BHPian

Congratulations that you finally got it. Hope its not the same 420 km done Fortuner and if it is then i hope they gave you a substantial discount.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Fortuner. You have comprehensively penned down almost all aspects of the Fortuner. With the recent price hike, the on road price in Bangalore has gone beyond 27 Lacs.

Even I have observed the Low beam even with the HID does not have a longer reach. Can this be adjusted at the Toyota Service Center?

Sorry for being Naive, whats that LBT in the price breakdown.

Enjoy many more happy miles on the Fortuner.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Welcome to the ownership thread of 'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic
Hi Ahmed,
Congratulations on a superb choice of vehicle...and perhaps colour too ! Or may be I am a little biased on both counts.
Thanks for a well written report and I look forward to regular updates and snaps of your adventures with Megalodon.

Couple of figures that caught my eye from your section on vehicle specs. The max torque is 343 NM and not 352 NM as mentioned.
The max output is 126 KW which is approx 168.96 BHP or 171.31 PS. (Not that it makes an Earth shaking difference !)

Good luck & have a great time with M and wishing you and all the folks who travel in it - thousands of safe, fun filled miles.

Last edited by Guderian : 21st June 2012 at 10:20.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
On-road price, discounts etc.
Discount is not there in the Fortuner dictionary out here in Aurangabad. Absolutely nothing. Not even by exchaging my previous ride with them. Onroad price

calculation is as below:
Ex Showroom Price 2 ,195,593.00
Insurance "add on 0% Dep." 82,117.00
Handling Charges 7 ,000.00
RTO 88,927.00
LBT 1.5% 32,934.00
On Road Price 2 ,606,571.00

Congratulations Ahmed. All other Fortuner owners in the forum have been excellent in sharing their details.
I am sure you too would join that bandwagon.

Wishing you happy miles with your T-Fort

The break-up you have provided sums up to 2,406,571.00, difference of Rs 2 lakhs
Old 21st June 2012, 11:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Congratulations that you finally got it. Hope its not the same 420 km done Fortuner and if it is then i hope they gave you a substantial discount.
No it is not the same - Dealer gave me a different vehicle from the same batch after threatening that it was a violation of the consumer rights that I am forced to buy a commodity that I don't like. Also told him that this is being published on TBHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Sorry for being Naive, whats that LBT in the price breakdown.
LBT is the Local Body Tax, in other words, it is something similar to the Octroi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ahmed,
Couple of figures that caught my eye from your section on vehicle specs. The max torque is 343 NM and not 352 NM as mentioned.
The max output is 126 KW which is approx 168.96 BHP or 171.31 PS. (Not that it makes an Earth shaking difference !)
Hail HG!
Thanks for correcting me here. I am impressed with your depth of knowledge Sir ! Superb-O-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
The break-up you have provided sums up to 2,406,571.00, difference of Rs 2 lakhs
Thanks! You really got me on this one. I actually calculated the amounts five times after I read your post
Old 21st June 2012, 11:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on joining the Fortuner Club. It will serve as No Nonsense vehicle for a long time in the family. Though it lacks many of the luxuries that a vehicle this cost should have by default, it will turn out to be a highly reliable and take anywhere vehicle. It's economies of long term ownership will certainly bring a smile to your face, everyday.

Keep revving and updating...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 11:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Dislikes -
  • Low beam is set too low and there is a need to switch over to high beams on underlit streets and thereby causing trouble to the oncoming traffic. I am a strict follower of 'use dipper at night' but am left with no option than to use the high beam,
  • These horns a suitable for a two wheeler. It should have been more masculine.
Congrats bro.

For the headlight, try fiddling with the headlight beam adjuster switch on the dashboard. It maybe on zero. Try adjusting it to 1 or 2.

For the horns, install Roots Windtone 90, they are great.
Old 21st June 2012, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
Congrats bro.

For the headlight, try fiddling with the headlight beam adjuster switch on the dashboard. It maybe on zero. Try adjusting it to 1 or 2.

For the horns, install Roots Windtone 90, they are great.
Fortuner doesn't have that. It has automatically adjusting headlamps. So to adjust he needs to go to Toyota.
abhayshanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 13:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Fortuner doesn't have that. It has automatically adjusting headlamps. So to adjust he needs to go to Toyota.
Abhay,
I think what Raj is talking about is the headlight leveler which is a mandatory requirement as per ARAI regulations for autocos in India. The Fortuner has the leveler...or at least mine does !
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy on your latest accusation, looks mean, and thanks for the detailed report. DO post more pictures, specially of the interiors.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead with the beast, drive safe

P.S Please request MODS to correct the OTR price mentioned by you in first post, as pointed above there is price difference of 2 lakhs.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 13:48   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the wonderful buy,"In toyota we trust"
Looking forward for your travelogues with M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Abhay,
I think what Raj is talking about is the headlight leveler which is a mandatory requirement as per ARAI regulations for autocos in India. The Fortuner has the leveler...or at least mine does !
HG, the new fortuner does not have the leveler switch
Old 21st June 2012, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
HG, the new fortuner does not have the leveler switch
Ahhh...OK...that explains Abhay's post.
But the auto-leveler would mean that there would heck of a lot more of electronics - sensors.
Should I feel happy owning the old one or what ?
Though I am rather envious of the new Fortuner having the VSC.

Most Viewed