Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 21:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The 2012 models get a matte finish for the B-Pillars. The earlier ones had a glossy finish and I suppose they were real paint while these ones are just stickers!
The glossy ones on my 2010 Punto are also stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. Any issue with the A-pillar black sticker? Mine is not properly sticky at one place on the left front door.
The sticker on my front right door is not sticky enough. But, it has been so since day-1 and hasn't worsened in ~2 years.

Quote:
2. How to activate the rear wash? Haven't tried the rear washer yet.
Push the wiper stalk away from you (towards the front of the car)

Quote:
3. Inspite of the rubber boot on the parcel tray - it rattles, doesn't it?
It doesn't, in my car In fact, those rubber parts were added in my car when I went for pre-monsoon free checkup about 10 months after I took delivery of my car. It wasn't rattling before that either.

Last edited by StarrySky : 4th July 2012 at 21:38.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 10:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky

The sticker on my front right door is not sticky enough. But, it has been so since day-1 and hasn't worsened in ~2 years.

Push the wiper stalk away from you (towards the front of the car)

It doesn't, in my car In fact, those rubber parts were added in my car when I went for pre-monsoon free checkup about 10 months after I took delivery of my car. It wasn't rattling before that either.
Should be the after effect of some cost cutting then- my parcel tray feels very thin and rattles (more like a thud) over potholes.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:26   #48
BHPian

re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update

Congrats man for the punto. Excellent snaps. Any mods planned for the FIAT like the Chevy? I see some serious improvements in the interior front from FIAT.

Sympathies for the terrible sales experience. This is the reason of such meager sales for the company.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 17:58   #49
BHPian

That was an awesome review Sai !
Absolutely comprehensive and there no scope for adding any extra thingy !
I would infact ask the moderators to place the other detailed photos/highlights of the car (as posted in the 3rd page) be shifted to the cover page itself.

It was a very balanced review and it includes all the strong and weak points well mentioned.

Punto is an excellent purchase without doubt and I wish you will have a great time with this Italian beauty.

There is hardly anything left for me to ask as you have covered almost all aspects

Still I would want to know why you didn't consider sedans like linea and rapid as your budget was flexible?

Last edited by Turbokick : 7th July 2012 at 17:59.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 10:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Any issue with the A-pillar black sticker? Mine is not properly sticky at one place on the left front door.
Yes! Even on this car, the stickers have come off at few edges. I will try getting few pics, would qualify for the cheap bits part.

Quote:
2. How to activate the rear wash? Haven't tried the rear washer yet.
Push the right wiper stalk forwards, away from you, as someone has already said.

Quote:
3. Inspite of the rubber boot on the parcel tray - it rattles, doesn't it?
I have had some rattling from the rear but I thought it was the seat, let me observe and get back to you on this.

Quote:
4. I had no idea what that red string in the boot was for! Thanks.
I was wrong about this, seems like the hatch door was already open when I tried this, cross checked now, it indeed is for releasing the fuel lid, like 'theexperthand' and hemanth have said.

Quote:
5. How is the music system (speakers) holding up? Mine started cracking at around 4k+ on the odo. And it became almost useless at around 6k kms on the odo.
I do not find any difference from when it was new and now, mate. Maybe you can check it out when we meet.

Quote:
7. Even the stock HU is made for Lancia/ FIAT/ Alfa - Made in Portugal. Stock front speakers in my 90HP was Alfa/ Lancia/ FIAT branded and made in Poland.
Yeah, saw that on the card they gave for the music system and also on your ICE thread, Congrats on the better sound, or may I say, much better sound, BTW.

Quote:
8. Sure 90HP comes with tweeters? I dont remember noticing any during the ICE installation. Infact, I forgot about it altogether - but I had taken tons of pics - the door pad just seems to have a weird cut for speakers. If you look closer in the pics you attached - the shape inside is not round also, right?
Yeah, the sales person confirmed the same but I took it with a pinch of salt, let me have a visual check when the door pads are being changed. I pumped up the volume and kept my hands on that area and I could feel the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Nice detailed review with lot of attention to detail

Me thinks the red string opens the fuel lid from inside - it acts as an over ride for the fuel lid release lever near the driver seat. Can you kindly confirm it?
Thanks man, and you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Nice close up shots DRIV3R

Its for opening the fuel lid if the driver side floor level lever fails or if you are near the boot!

The glossy ones are also stickers and not paint.
Atleast thats what I got on my 2010 punto.
Thanks hemanth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

I wish they were painted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats man for the punto. Excellent snaps. Any mods planned for the FIAT like the Chevy? I see some serious improvements in the interior front from FIAT.

Sympathies for the terrible sales experience. This is the reason of such meager sales for the company.
Thanks Utopian, no major mods in the looks department as of now, maybe smoking of tail-lamps + carbon fibre stickers on the ORVMS + OEM Spoiler, which I have ordered some 50 days back and still waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
That was an awesome review Sai !
Absolutely comprehensive and there no scope for adding any extra thingy !
I would infact ask the moderators to place the other detailed photos/highlights of the car (as posted in the 3rd page) be shifted to the cover page itself.
Thanks Anil, I already reported those posts asking them to be moved to the first page, but yet to see any action on that front.

Quote:
Still I would want to know why you didn't consider sedans like linea and rapid as your budget was flexible?
On the day of delivery, before registration and all the paperwork, the Sales guy told that there is a 2011 Linea MJD Emotion and he can offer it for 9.5L OTR. It was tempting and I asked him the feasibility of changing the booking now, he said it is tough as the car is already billed and the insurance made to our name. Had he told this earlier, it might have been the Linea. The Linea is all good, but with regards to interior space, it is similar to the Punto. No wonder they share the same windscreen.

Rapid and Vento TDi was not in the list because of the prominent turbolag + price/VFM + fire incidents reported. I did not even TD them.

Another thing, a hatchback is easier to drive and park, within city limits and hence. Parking space has become a luxury now-a-days.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 8th July 2012 at 10:11.
Old 8th July 2012, 13:59   #51
BHPian

It would be interesting to see the Punto with a spoiler. You might be the first one to order it, perhaps. Do post snaps once it has been fitted onto the car.
Old 8th July 2012, 17:32   #52
BHPian

Great report with ultra detailed pics. You have immense patience and heck of an eye for detail. Even I have recommended the Punto dynamic over the Jazz to my B.I.L, but i am worried to see the niggles (the power steering fluid leak & the rubber near the wipers) reported by you. He is not an enthusiast and i fear he would overlook such things. He would go by my recommendation and sometimes i feel it would be safer to recommend the jazz. What say?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 08:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
It would be interesting to see the Punto with a spoiler. You might be the first one to order it, perhaps. Do post snaps once it has been fitted onto the car.
Sure. I am following up almost twice a week with the dealer for the spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Great report with ultra detailed pics. You have immense patience and heck of an eye for detail. Even I have recommended the Punto dynamic over the Jazz to my B.I.L, but i am worried to see the niggles (the power steering fluid leak & the rubber near the wipers) reported by you. He is not an enthusiast and i fear he would overlook such things. He would go by my recommendation and sometimes i feel it would be safer to recommend the jazz. What say?
Thanks, man. About the power steering oil leak, it is not a leak as I found out this weekend, the level of fluid is well over max, me thinks that during extreme heat or something some fluid came out, as I do not find any fluids under the car when it is parked for days together. Rest assured, I am going to report this in my first service, and am sure TASS will change atleast the tubing under warranty. No issues there.

Regarding the rubber, yeah they are bad. No resolution, except maybe changing them also under warranty till they step up and provide good quality ones.

If he is not an enthusiast, I would say, play safe. Jazz would be a better bet. If not, ask him to just TD the Punto and go by his inputs. The ride and handling package is unmatched, you will not feel tired even after long drives. If the car is mainly for city use, go for the Jazz itself. Hope I have provided some useful inputs.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:17   #54
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs. Have said the same thing to him. The car would hardly see highways and mostly would be used for city dwellings.

I also think that the PS fluid spillage was due to overfill. I have noticed in my Ashok Leyland Engine (Used as an 63 KV generator) that, if the water in the radiator is just below the overflow mark, and the engine is turned off, small amount of hot water starts coming out of the overflow vent for few seconds. I dont think its a fault because, The engine and radiator are in top condition.

May be same thing happened under the punto's hood.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also think that the PS fluid spillage was due to overfill. I have noticed in my Ashok Leyland Engine (Used as an 63 KV generator) that, if the water in the radiator is just below the overflow mark, and the engine is turned off, small amount of hot water starts coming out of the overflow vent for few seconds. I dont think its a fault because, The engine and radiator are in top condition.

May be same thing happened under the punto's hood.
Yes, this was confirmed at the A.S.S. The fluid was over-filled and hence it expanded and over-flowed. There are no leakages from then on.

Time for some updates.

Got the baby 3D Kagu mats, the genuine ones.

Cost - 4.5K INR

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-3d-kagu.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-3d-kagu-1.jpg

Took her to the 3M Car Care at Nungambakkam, met Dushy and got the Foam wash done.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-3m-foam-wash.jpg

Then, got the RE70 sun-film installed, I could no more bear the heat on the skin while driving. Needed something that was fully transparent and could cut the harmful UV rays as well. The installation was faulty, they were generous enough to re-install the films for the front, as they had defects, and now the rear right window has around 20 miniscule bubbles! Spoke to Dushy and he obliged to get them fixed whenever I could drop by. These films carry a 3 year warranty BTW.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-3m-sun-film.jpg

These pics should show the transparency of the RE70 film.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-after-re70.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-after-re70-2.jpg

This is how she looked after a bath and some sun-film.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-after-wash-re70.jpg

The engine bay was also cleaned.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-engine-bay.jpg

Could you spot the bubbles? This is the right rear window I was talking about.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-faulty-sunfilm-installation.jpg

Total Damage at 3M - 4.3K INR

Took the car to K.H.T, Bangalore for the first service.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-kht.jpg

The experience was a mixed bag, these morons managed to damage the 4K worth of sun-film on both the front windows. If it was only on the RH, I can understand as they did a power window winder replacement, but even the LH sun-film at the front was damaged. I got really pissed and saw this as I was leaving the service station.

I was supervising all the work there, and it all happened because I was in constant touch with the GM, Mr Suresh. It was not perfect, but well, as far as service experience from TASS is concerned, they were well above the bar the other TASS had set.

Got the engine oil + oil filter + air filter changed as well. Cost 3.4K INR.

The SA and the others had the guts to sheepishly ask me to give them a 10 on 10 rating when I receive a call from Pune. Yeah right, I said to myself, I saw it coming!

The engine feels a lot smoother now, and the response is crisper. It should be even better when the car crosses the 10K mark. Of late, the turbo lag seems a bit irritating in slow moving traffic, especially at inclines in a place like Bangalore. Lets see how it goes. Otherwise, the car performs flawlessly and it is Super-Fun in the twisties and the hairpin bends.

I drove Chennai-BLR in the Punto and returned back in a Manza and I could see a world of difference with regards to the comfort levels. Don't get me wrong here, the Manza has one of the best rear seats, but I am talking stability here, the Manza was all over the road at high speeds, even at the slightest undulations.

Interesting bit, while driving down to B'lore, had to change the pace of driving to meet up the Manza at Krishnagiri, so I ease myself a bit and was maintaining a steady 90'ish speed. Just asked my sis in the passenger seat to guess the speed, she said 40?. I wiped the smug off my face and said, see that's why the Punto.

I am blown by it's high speed poise, stability and manners, not only on the straights but also on the twisties. And I do not want to re-iterate the praises on it's steering precision and feedback plus ride.

Signing off with few random clicks of the car and her ODO.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo1.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo2.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo3.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo4.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo5.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-odo6.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-punto1.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-punto2.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-punto3.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-punto4.jpg
Old 18th August 2012, 19:38   #56
BHPian

Nice update DRIV3R. The mats add exclusivity to the interiors. You are pampering the car and its nice . Seems that the service is cost of the punto & figo are at par. I got the 3rd service (paid) done and got the oil,oil filter and air filter changed and the bill came at Rs. 3500/-

So now when the films have been damaged, what have you planned for them?
Old 18th August 2012, 19:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice update DRIV3R. The mats add exclusivity to the interiors. You are pampering the car and its nice . Seems that the service is cost of the punto & figo are at par. I got the 3rd service (paid) done and got the oil,oil filter and air filter changed and the bill came at Rs. 3500/-

So now when the films have been damaged, what have you planned for them?
But since it was a paid service, that should be inclusive of labor costs too, right? This one was without the labor charges. Oil was the FIAT recommended Selenia WR 5W40, semi-synthetic, I believe, though the invoice mentioned it as synthetic. Costs 650 INR a can, bought 4 one litre cans, and have the remaining 800ML with me for top-ups.

One bad practice I noticed at the A.S.S, the guy drains the oil, puts the plug back and then removes and replaces the oil filter. I believe it is a good practice to do the oil filter change before the drain plug is put back, to drain the last traces of old oil.

The wheels were rotated and wheel alignment was also done, all fluids topped-up and the brakes were sanded and put back together. The AC pollen filter was also cleaned.

About the sun-films, well, what can I say, decided to live with them for a few days, will consider replacing them while I get back to 3M for the faulty rear one to be replaced. I got them installed on the quarter glasses too, to give it an even look from the side to the cops.

Also, removed the 3M prints on the film with some cotton wool and nail polish remover.

This film is good, cuts the heat, the AC is more effective, and visibility from the inside is as good as it was without the films. Recommend this for anyone who is looking for subtle films just for heat rejection.

The mats do look great and enhance the interior looks of the car. They are good in trapping the dust as well.
Old 18th August 2012, 20:15   #58
BHPian

Yes. The bill included the labor costs which was Rs. 1175/- The Engine Oil was for around 300 Rs/Liter and 4 Liter was used.

With such an expensive and good looking mats, I would fear to keep muddy shoes on them.:P Rather I would keep another mat to protect this one!
Old 18th August 2012, 22:17   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
...Then, got the RE70 sun-film installed...

Total Damage at 3M - 4.3K INR...
You did the installation to the sides & rear? I suggest you get it installed at the front too. It will be slightly expensive, but worth the job. And @ 4.3K, it's not as expensive as I thought, to be used on the sides & rear!

Edit:: Do we do VLT70 on the front or is it the same as RE70? Am confused!
Old 18th August 2012, 22:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You did the installation to the sides & rear? I suggest you get it installed at the front too. It will be slightly expensive, but worth the job. And @ 4.3K, it's not as expensive as I thought, to be used on the sides & rear!

Edit:: Do we do VLT70 on the front or is it the same as RE70? Am confused!
No, this price was only for the sides. Sides+rear cost 5675 INR.

And no, RE70 is not advisable for use on the front windscreen, only CR70 is used, though both are 70% VLT.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks