Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Wittels Chronicles - My 2012 Shadow Blue Volkswagen Vento AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
These door guards are interesting. Do you have them on your car? can you post a pic how do they look please? And where did you source them, cost etc?
I haven't put it - although I wish I did - have quite a few minor scratches on the door that are quite visible. As for the costs & availability, I have seen it available in most car accessory shops for prices ranging from 150 to 300Rs.

Also, have a look at this. Search for "Door guards" on Ebay - there seems to be quite a few designs and color options available.

Quote:
engine bay has lots of empty space. One thing I'm worried about it I can see the ground looking from above! So there seems to be no protection to the compartment from flying stones/gravel/water etc underneath. Is it like that in your Tdi as well? Somebody told about an engine sump guard. Is it supposed to be there? How do I know if it is there in my car?
I don't think there is space in the Tdi engine bay, to look at the bottom. But I have to give it a check - the Tdi does have a plastic fibre guard at the base, but I'm not sure what is the length/width of it. As for your car, maybe Anoop or others can give more clarity on this. I don't think VW would differentiate on this aspect between the P/D cars.

Quote:
Well I do not have any idea about the Fiesta. I've seen it in pics only. I should see how the speakers setup there sounds. Though I do not have golden ears so I doubt I'll make out any difference. I think the speakers on Vento are also pretty good. But if you find them average, will take your word for it.
Oh, I'm more than happy with the Vento speakers. Just that the Fiesta ones are a tad better. One always has the craving for better ones, no?
Old 3rd July 2012, 07:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Moving on my friend, far from settled actually :(

By the way, I have been driving a rental car - shadow blue jetta for the past couple of days, Everytime I drive the car, somehow I'm being reminded of my good old vento, sigh!

I had a choice of Nissan and chevy when I picked up my car - but for some reason I felt at home with VW...

Quote:
Hi Panchan

Thanks Bala. How are you settling in the States
Old 6th July 2012, 22:02   #18
BHPian

Many congrats on this awesome buy!
I'm a bit late here, its because I had taken my Silver Surfer on a trip, 1300 kms with the Vento, love it in and out!

Enjoyed reading the thread, nice to see a 2012 petrol out there. My thread coming soon
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 13:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I don't think there is space in the Tdi engine bay, to look at the bottom. But I have to give it a check - the Tdi does have a plastic fibre guard at the base, but I'm not sure what is the length/width of it. As for your car, maybe Anoop or others can give more clarity on this. I don't think VW would differentiate on this aspect between the P/D cars.
Oh I came to know that the engine sump guard is there only on Diesel vehicles. Talk about Volkswagen being so terribly biased towards their Diesels. Its unbelievable and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way, I have been driving a rental car - shadow blue jetta for the past couple of days, Everytime I drive the car, somehow I'm being reminded of my good old vento, sigh!
Is it the new Jetta or the previous gen. I know that people think previous gen was better built/quality but I so lust for the new Jetta really! Wish I had the moolah this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Many congrats on this awesome buy!
I'm a bit late here, its because I had taken my Silver Surfer on a trip, 1300 kms with the Vento, love it in and out!

Enjoyed reading the thread, nice to see a 2012 petrol out there. My thread coming soon
Thanks madnish. Look forward to your thread. Yes mine might be the only 2012 Petrol model here on TBHP. Feels special in a way as (per reports) Volkswagen only assembled 64 of them this year so far! Made el lobo quip "The rarest car on roads in India!"
Old 8th July 2012, 03:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its the new one, but the 2.5 SE gasoline is no match to the awesome 1.6 TDI on the vento!

Agreed, the new one looks much sleeker and smarter than the old one.

Quote:

Is it the new Jetta or the previous gen. I know that people think previous gen was better built/quality but I so lust for the new Jetta really! Wish I had the moolah this time
Old 17th July 2012, 21:04   #21
BHPian

Awesome review Joslicx. welcome to the Shadow Blue Gangs of Vento.
Could u detail more about the AT transmission? was it comparable to Fiesta dual clutch response? would be great if you get a video (yes!) for us from a standstill focussing on the RPM and speed dials.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 02:08   #22
BHPian

Nice review Joslicx,
I have one question. Its regarding the car seat installation for your child. How do you fix it to seat. Does the Vento come with locking hooks (which you have to dig deep in the junction of back rest and leg rest) or do you simply use the seat belts. Does the City or any other car in this price backet has this feature? Thanks.
pamiboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 10:55   #23
BHPian

Re: The Wittels Chronicles – my 2012 Shadow Blue Volkswagen Vento AT

Excellent Review and congratulations Joslicx !!
Do update the thread with happy-miles. Mine is 36k+ in 1yr 3months and man I'm loving it everyday when the turbo spools

I'm more interested in your wishlist. I started modifying the car from day-1 (changed the audio and alloys)

Quote:
And while we are at it, why not a wishlist for the Vento!
  • Electrically retracting side-view mirrors: Pretty useful in Indian context.
  • Headlamps: The smoked headlamps that are present in European Polo would be awesome.
I'm trying to source the EU Polo head lamp. Hope I suceed.
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 11:39   #24
BHPian

Darn. Wonder how I missed this wonderful review. Its laid out very beautifully and shows how you have analyzed and appreciated the car from every aspect. Wishing you many happy miles. The blue indeed looks stunning.

You are spot on about the build of all the cars from the Japs/Koreans. Recently I checked the Sunny & the Micra in the showroom and was literally scared about the tinniness of the doors, the Micra fared worse. I think it will be judgement day for me if I am hit when I am in that car even at mild speeds. My 11 year old Zen feels way more solid than the current Jap/Korean cars. I though the Figo is much sturdier.

As for the cockpit er sorry dashboard, I think my vote would go for the Fiesta. I recently checked out the paprika red Fiesta A/T and sitting in that front seat felt like being in the cockpit of a plane. I wonder why you didn't check out the new Fiesta A/T. I thought the paprika red Fiesta looked very stunning though its my personal opinion.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 11:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Awesome review Joslicx. welcome to the Shadow Blue Gangs of Vento.
Could u detail more about the AT transmission? was it comparable to Fiesta dual clutch response? would be great if you get a video (yes!) for us from a standstill focussing on the RPM and speed dials.
Thanks newtonMeter.
Well theres lot of information about the Automatic covered by moderator Rehaan in the official review of Rapid. I am much less technically qualified on this subject to add anything useful! This video also exists (I think somewhere in noopster's thread if I am not wrong)

My general impression with the Vento AT is, it is quite wonderful in the city traffic. I have driven my car for 1100Kms now, and never has it let me down. All these 1100kms are only on city roads, mostly during traffic time (office hours and Bangalore is pathetic even on saturdays). I am yet to take the car on the highway.

1. The engine and the auto box is powerful enough for any overtaking maneuvers in the city. I have effortlessly overtaken all sorts of vehicles, taxis, buses, autos, bikes etc. This all in "D" mode only! I havent engaged "S" mode so far. "S" gives you even more power is what I've heard ("S" holds the gears longer than "D"). I havent used the Triptronic as well!

2. The trick to driving an Auto is mastering a light foot! Once you do that, then you can drive it like a manual!!! In a manual car, you can push the pedal the way you want and car will respond to that. In Automatic its the computer doing some of the thinking and at times it can misinterpret you. So you have to give correct inputs to the computer. With me, I was already used to light foot driving in the i10. Vento AT is quite natural to me.

3. If you want to overtake, all you need is build up speed in advance. I've found that most times I dont even need to downshift to do that! Its only while climbing underpasses I've seen car downshift while building speed. Also I'e been gentle with the car so far, havent gone beyond 80.

4. I've seen the car hunting for gears only once so far. Mostly it follows the 10X rule religiously (except for 6th gear which gets engaged if you cross 70). The trick to upshifting is again build up speed for that gear (use 10X) and then release the Acc pedal. Otherwise, gears change when you cross certain RPM by themselves (I think for my car in "D" mode it is 2500 rpm).

5. Sometimes while cruising at 60 in 5th gear, it feels like the car is not moving at all! It is so quiet inside and if the road is good enough, then it just feels like levitating! Its heavenly. But I do not get this feeling all the time (even when cruising at 60 in 5th gear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Nice review Joslicx,
I have one question. Its regarding the car seat installation for your child. How do you fix it to seat. Does the Vento come with locking hooks (which you have to dig deep in the junction of back rest and leg rest) or do you simply use the seat belts. Does the City or any other car in this price backet has this feature? Thanks.
Thanks pamiboy.
Well I do not have right answers for your questions yet! I am still searching for a good child seat for my daughter. It is explained in the manual how to fix the seat but I havent read that so far (as I have not finalized the seat yet). In my previous car my daughter would sit in the front only but in Vento she wants to be at the back since day 1, all by herself!!! I have to buy that seat soon, have been neglecting it and thats bad of me. Please let me know as well, if you can find a good seat somewhere. I'll get it for my kid as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Excellent Review and congratulations Joslicx !!
Do update the thread with happy-miles. Mine is 36k+ in 1yr 3months and man I'm loving it everyday when the turbo spools

I'm more interested in your wishlist. I started modifying the car from day-1 (changed the audio and alloys)

I'm trying to source the EU Polo head lamp. Hope I suceed.
Thanks mikon. I've only done 1100Km so far in about 1.25 months of ownership. Your 36k in just little more than a year is just awesome stuff. You practically are living in the car

Are you sourcing the headlamp in India itself or looking outside? I too hope you do succeed with it. though I think the smoked headlamps would look the best on a white or Silver Vento! On our Black/Blue steads I'm not sure it would look as good. I might be wrong though. Somebody with the skills should photoshop it first to see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Darn. Wonder how I missed this wonderful review. Its laid out very beautifully and shows how you have analyzed and appreciated the car from every aspect. Wishing you many happy miles. The blue indeed looks stunning.

You are spot on about the build of all the cars from the Japs/Koreans. Recently I checked the Sunny & the Micra in the showroom and was literally scared about the tinniness of the doors, the Micra fared worse. I think it will be judgement day for me if I am hit when I am in that car even at mild speeds. My 11 year old Zen feels way more solid than the current Jap/Korean cars. I though the Figo is much sturdier.

As for the cockpit er sorry dashboard, I think my vote would go for the Fiesta. I recently checked out the paprika red Fiesta A/T and sitting in that front seat felt like being in the cockpit of a plane. I wonder why you didn't check out the new Fiesta A/T. I thought the paprika red Fiesta looked very stunning though its my personal opinion.
Thanks samarjit for the kind words.

Well I am not a fan of Fords. And I'd have to disagree on the dashboard design. For me Vento's design wins because it is possible to change the HU in that if I want (for example to a touch screen). That is something not possible with Fiesta. Also the Nokia phone's buttons look generations old. Fiesta does not come with a navigator and so if I wanted one in the car I have to install a separate unit. But I kind of like a single multi-function unit like the ones provided by Witson or Caska etc.

I think the simple old school designs like the one in Vento are still the best for a car in this segment. They offer the most scope for modifications without disturbing the overall looks for worse. Thats why even Verna's dash is poor. Of course, this is true till someone comes up with a solution like in Audis or Bimmers in these C segment sedans!

Last edited by noopster : 19th July 2012 at 15:29. Reason: As requested
Old 19th July 2012, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
And I'd have to disagree on the dashboard design. For me Vento's design wins because it is possible to change the HU in that if I want (for example to a touch screen). That is something not possible with Fiesta. Also the Nokia phone's buttons look generations old.
Yes that's true as I said it's kind of a personal preference. It might have been something to do with the seats too in the Fiesta which hugged me and I kind of felt I was in a perfect driving position ready to launch. At that point I thought, if I owned some oil wells, I am making a down payment now for this car . Then as you said, my friend who was with me reminded me about the HU integrated dash which makes it impossible to change the HU even though it has been reviewed to be the segment best.

Quote:
Fiesta does not come with a navigator and so if I wanted one in the car I have to install a separate unit. But I kind of like a single multi-function unit like the ones provided by Witson or Caska etc.
You can also check the Blaupunkt New York 800 for the HU which comes integrated with MMI navigation and is not as expensive as the Caska. Another A/T owner Anil Kalvani has got it installed and is pretty satisfied with it. Search for his experience in his ownership thread. That's on my wishlist too but for the lack of my own oil wells .

Quote:
I think the simple old school designs like the one in Vento are still the best for a car in this segment. They offer the most scope for modifications without disturbing the overall looks for worse. Thats why even Verna's dash is poor. Of course, this is true till someone comes up with a solution like in Audis or Bimmers in these C segment sedans!
For the record I do love my Vento too but perhaps the turbo pull is the topmost liked feature in my case. Since I have the pre-refresh one, the dash is less appealing to me but not offensive though. But I too am a fan of the overall subtle confident looks of the car and the way it becomes more stable when driving at three digit speeds.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, that's a very nice and a detailed review!! It looks like auto transmission has started becoming the 'in' thing these days. I have seen quite a few auto transmission vehicles on the roads now.

The car looks great, especially in that blue colour. 2 things that I would like to mention here: [1] Take good care of those beige seat covers, they get dirty in no time. [2] And, out of curiosity, the battery cover that you have in the photo, what material is it made of?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 14:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks newtonMeter.
Thanks pamiboy.
Well I do not have right answers for your questions yet! I am still searching for a good child seat for my daughter. It is explained in the manual how to fix the seat but I havent read that so far (as I have not finalized the seat yet). In my previous car my daughter would sit in the front only but in Vento she wants to be at the back since day 1, all by herself!!! I have to buy that seat soon, have been neglecting it and thats bad of me. Please let me know as well, if you can find a good seat somewhere. I'll get it for my kid as well.
All I would like you to do is, stick your fingers in the crevice between the back rest and seat at those points close to seat belt origins/ buckles and see if you can feel any metal hooks. Chicco, Graco, Britax, etc carseats are good. (Not sure if they are available here, I got one from abroad).
Also would like to know if you had considered Skoda Rapid, if yes what did you find better in Vento. Thanks.

Last edited by pamiboy : 19th July 2012 at 14:34.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
You can also check the Blaupunkt New York 800 for the HU which comes integrated with MMI navigation and is not as expensive as the Caska. Another A/T owner Anil Kalvani has got it installed and is pretty satisfied with it. Search for his experience in his ownership thread. That's on my wishlist too but for the lack of my own oil wells .
All HU mods after 2 years for me. I want to avoid playing with electricals for now. By the way I was looking at something like this:
Volkswagen double din 7" HD LED Digital Touchscreen GPS DVD Player | eBay

The cost is 24k, it has all the features in the world and an added advantage is steering controls will work with it! But I dont have permission from higher powers at home to spend this kind of money now on the car :(

Quote:
For the record I do love my Vento too but perhaps the turbo pull is the topmost liked feature in my case. Since I have the pre-refresh one, the dash is less appealing to me but not offensive though. But I too am a fan of the overall subtle confident looks of the car and the way it becomes more stable when driving at three digit speeds.
Yes you guys have the turbo pull. We petrolheads have to do with the creature comforts. Although I'd say the 1.6 petrol is no slouch and in the city its as good as any car in this segment. I cannot comment on the highway experience yet. Am planning for a trip to Pondicherry next month so lets see how it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congrats, that's a very nice and a detailed review!! It looks like auto transmission has started becoming the 'in' thing these days. I have seen quite a few auto transmission vehicles on the roads now.

The car looks great, especially in that blue colour. 2 things that I would like to mention here: [1] Take good care of those beige seat covers, they get dirty in no time. [2] And, out of curiosity, the battery cover that you have in the photo, what material is it made of?
Thanks WAG7.
1. The biege seat covers are pure leather now! I got it installed from Karlsson here in Bangalore. Since it is leather, there is no problem of it getting dirty In fact even after 1 month of abuse, the seats look brand new! Leather is good.
2. Battery cover is something like a 2 layer soft sheet. There is a thin card board paper thingy and a kind of a layer of foam (looks like black foam) on the inside! I cannot say for sure what is the material as I dont know it myself. I dont even know why it is there. There was no such cover in any of my previous cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
All I would like you to do is, stick your fingers in the crevice between the back rest and seat at those points close to seat belt origins/ buckles and see if you can feel any metal hooks. Chicco, Graco, Britax, etc carseats are good. (Not sure if they are available here, I got one from abroad).
Also would like to know if you had considered Skoda Rapid, if yes what did you find better in Vento. Thanks.
Ok I will do that and update here.

Regarding Skoda Rapid, might have considered it if I was not a Bhpian! Theres a very prominent thread on Skoda horrors here and it completely turned me off Skoda. Though a colleague of mine has just bought a Rapid (Tdi) after my purchase.

Last edited by joslicx : 19th July 2012 at 15:20.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:53   #30
BHPian

Sorry for responding so late, Dev, though I had read your thread long back!

Belated congratulations on getting the Wittels!!

Quote:
My first car was a humble Blue eyed Maruti Suzuki Alto Lxi.
Expectedly or unexpectedly the marriage happened! And along with my wife welcomed a new member, a dark blue i10 Kappa1.2 Sportz.
Vento was an automatic choice then. Once I saw the Blue Vento on Nilesh’s thread it was sort of decided in the heart!
Don't know if blue came to you by chance or choice, your selections are just like mine. I am madly in love with the blue colour on cars. When my father booked the first metallic coloured Zen VX in 1998, I got to choose the colour and ofcourse chose metallic blue. And now, it's the shadow blue!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks