Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2006, 16:45   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_sizzlers
The company guys say that the mileage will increase by around 1.5-2 kpl after first service. I doubt this will happen. But keeping my fingers crossed ;-).
After the 1st service?? Doubt that..4k-5k kms would be more realistic.
Old 8th May 2006, 16:07   #47
BHPian

My experience with my Chevy baby ..

Hey all !!

Got my car on the 1st and so far enjoyed 400+ kms i have driven in city.

Just to end curiosity of some keen buyers here is my observation -

- it gives a bigger impression and feels bigger when compared to the over hyped Honda city (mini Optra).
- is very spacious and comfortable
- the cabin is silent and a/c damn effective.
- so far geting 10+ average in hardcore city conditions with 100% a/c usage which i guess should increase after 1st engine oil change by atleast 1 km/ l. For me 12 in city with a/c is fine.
- noticed lots of Honda city owners looking at this beauty carefully and infact had 2 curious gentlemen enquiring about the car too.

I would say no need to wait bcoz if you like it then dont take a second thought.

Cheers.

Love my Chevy Baby .....................
Old 8th May 2006, 16:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thatz great! I too thought Aveo is good overall package!

Enjoy driving!!!
Old 25th May 2006, 00:49   #49
BHPian

It is definately a good overall package and that's what is more important today.
Old 25th May 2006, 13:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

After bashing it all over the thread now you say that its a good package ???
Old 25th May 2006, 14:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Aveo is good car LS version is well loaded but the base model is overpriced n almost every week they are increasing its price......

KP
Old 25th May 2006, 17:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

A bit late gettng to this thread, but how is your baby doing now? Seems to be a pretty good car. Congrats.
Old 26th May 2006, 05:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
After bashing it all over the thread now you say that its a good package ???
It's a good package only if you drive it carefully. Since it's body is weaker than others as proven by EURONCAP hence this becomes very important. Besides there are many other weak body cars including Maruti. Just drive it carefully and it's a beauty. Proof of weak body is the below video for the impact. Check out the driver's condition after the impact. There are 2-3 videos. Check all of them out.

http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=18259...ate=43&flash=1

The C segment of cars in India is the most confusing of all. Read all sections and you'll come to know and every car has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Old 26th May 2006, 09:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

IMHO you need to drive every car carefully. I think Lady Diana died in one of the world's safest cars. So a car can only protect you till a certain limit.

Most of driving which we guys in India do is city(We still dont commute 200 kms daily for work) & knowing the traffic conditions we hardly get into conditions as shown in the Video. And on highways I really wonder if you can single out any car which would be 100% safe.

So at the end you have to be carefull with every car.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:20   #55
BHPian

Well said Technocrat. This also depends on where will your driving happen. Like we drive on 4 or even 6 lines on highways and believe me it's going to get more and more problematic. Just today morning I saw a medium sized commercial vehicle hanging on the 1 feet divider which is 3 feet deep and can collect rain water, between the 3 lane highway. There was no impact, the driver just lost control and moved the steering to right and slammed onto the divider.

In the case of Aveo or for that matter any weak car the force with which you are driving let's say 80-90 kmph, the force can thrust you towards the steering in a similar fashion as seen in the video.

Ultimately it's your decision on whether you want to take precautions right from the beginning by taking a prudent decision for a "tougher" car or by taking an impulsive decision purely based on your heart or heard suggestions or forums and posts.

It also depends on where will you drive. In a city like Bangalore where there is traffic everywhere moving at 40-50 kmph or in Mumbai Pune Expressway or on National Highway from IGIA. There are so many factors in it.

Aveo may be right in one condition and not for other condition and both conditions may be justified and correct. Angle of vision of viewing these may differ.

But just becase we never go in a condition as shown in the video, it can certainly be taken as a benchmark for the vehicle and how it can help you in later stages (including in situations as mentioned above of the vehicle ramming onto a divider 1 feet wide and 3 feet deep - just think the normal impact of the driver being forced ahead due to this situation) as vehicles cannot be changed often in India as well for most of the people. And for that purpose it becomes important to highlight the plus and negative points of a vehicle.

A little off the topic but as mentioned above by me Aveo is a good product because it offers so many features and is an international product which is being released in 120+ countries. You may however also keep an open eye of company's management's direction as GM is in a dilemma right now with US sales.
Old 26th May 2006, 11:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

One Question: WHich Car do you drive ?

The reason for this question being, its always easy to crib about safety features & blah blah but at the end most of teh people one th forum advocating the safety features needed ina car are actually the people who didnt buy that variant of their current car which has\had a safety option. People consider it a waste, I am no one to say whether its right or wrong as its their own decision but then there are lots of factors while deciding a car.
Safety is still not the prime concern for car buyers & there are many reasons for thatbut I wont get into that.

Also even if safety devices are present they need to be used e.g most of the people I know use seat belts only if its compulsory, in my car I always wear my seat belt(even when I havent heard anyone being charged for not wearing in pune). Also I loved the OHCs they look much well built than the current gen but then still people are buying.

The entire point was that here was a guy sharing his experiences with his new set of wheels. You started giving links & stuff copy pasting from google whihc has all negative about teh car & at the end of it you appraise the car. Well you could have done it earlier too.

I hope you take it in the right spirit. Peace up
Old 26th May 2006, 12:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safety is still not the prime concern for car buyers & there are many reasons for thatbut I wont get into that.
100% true. As you said, we do talk a lot about safety, about the need for manufacturers to come out with safer cars etc, but when it comes to the actual buying decision, we opt out, for various reasons.

Quote:
The entire point was that here was a guy sharing his experiences with his new set of wheels. You started giving links & stuff copy pasting from google whihc has all negative about teh car & at the end of it you appraise the car. Well you could have done it earlier too.
Valid point. We should be raising issues about a car before the actual buying process. Once a person has bought a car, it does not serve any purpose to point out the negatives. Also, why be a killjoy ?
Old 26th May 2006, 12:55   #58
BHPian

It's not a question of which car do I drive. I am in the process of upgrading and will not consider Aveo because of the way I percieve it. The idea of mentioning this is to create an awareness about the product and its plus and negatives and not to kill anybody's joy. Besides it is an international product and I liked the fresh feeling when I entered the Aveo myself. The person who bought it can still enjoy that fresh feeling. It's rather strange that such an important factor is being ignored by distinguished members but for most people these are crucial factors for their and their loved one's lives.

Besides forums are for expressing views in an un-biased way and every one has a valid point. It's not necessary for somebody to accept my view point. It's their decision anyway. That's the spirit of it.

The objective before another person is to weigh his or her priorities and then decide based on his judgement.

If people are fine driving a 1.5 rated car, then it's fine, it's their life anyway and they risk it. But in that case as mentioned by me above it becomes important to drive carefully and enjoy the AVEO. If I travel on high speed highways daily then I do not buy Aveo, if I drive in crowded lanes and streets then I can buy. It's simple. As Indian cities begin to have national high speed highways, this will get enforced legally and car makers will have to adhere to these norms. Most US and German cars already adhere to these. GM's other cars themselves adhere to these norms. Why Aveo was not made to adhere is not clear. Perhaps to price the product competitively and make it appealing and help GM in its strategy of finding revenue and growing markets to cover up it's growing losses.

Once again I mention it's a good overall product. But drive carefully.

Isn't that a fairly balanced rational approach?

Last edited by Tech : 26th May 2006 at 13:10.
Old 26th May 2006, 13:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Aveo weighs around 1095 kg. Being a newer car, I assume it is engineered with modern safety design considerations. If you are calling that car as "tinny box", what would you call a Baleno or an Accent or Esteem? "cardboard" box?

N-CAP or EuroCAP ratings are useful no doubt. But they are more relevant in European context. In Indian context, where no one cares about even basic safety features such as ABS or Airbags, just comparing EuroCAP ratings is nothing less than plain stupidity. (No offence meant to anyone). Look at options available in Indian market and what they offer. And then, decide if Aveo is unsafe.

Last edited by RX135 : 26th May 2006 at 13:30.
Old 26th May 2006, 13:51   #60
Senior - BHPian

@Tech: I would still like to know which car you drive as it speaks a lot about how much you practise what you preach.

It would be interesting to know which car you upgrade to.

Like i said before nothing against you (infact the links were good) but your approach to the thread, I think SupremeBaleno has put down my view in a much better & simpler way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks