Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 21:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: A review of my VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Warranty Replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Congrats on the Car and wishing you many Happy Miles of Motoring and all the best for the CA exam Results which will be out in another 15-30 days!
Thanks for the wishes!Should be in another 20 days i'm guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
@shashank.nk - Congratulations on your new car..!!

Very detailed and informative write-up... enjoy happy and safe drive.
Thanks!
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: A review of my VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Warranty Replacements

Had opened up the fog light assembly to check for the type of bulb. This is what i found:
Make: Osram
Type:H8
12V 35W

So now i've to find suitable replacements for the H8 bulbs. Philips has none, any alternative brands to Osram ? Also, can i go for a higher wattage or will that require relays ?
Old 16th July 2012, 00:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

So the Polo went on its first outstation journey post run-in, here are my observations:
  • On the open raod, with 5 adults onboard and a bootful of luggage i never felt it was underpowered. It lacks peppiness of the other 4 cylinder units, but definitely not underpowered.
  • I was able to manage speeds which ranged between 100-120km/hr, no sign of stress or struggle from the engine. This car can cruise at such speeds all day, engine noise inside cabin is not too high to cause discomfort to passengers.
  • The torque available low down in the engine is surprising, with 5 adults and a boot full of luggage i was able to take many inclines in 2nd gear! Also, turbo assist was available as low as 1600 rpm unless i'm confusing it with something else, i never felt the need to downshift to 1st even when i had to slow down a little and rpm dropped, though very minimal.
  • The car handles bad roads with aplomb! We went to Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta on the way, and the road was ridden with potholes over a 7km stretch. It never crashed into potholes or tossed us around. Was able to maintain a steady 40 km/hr without the occupants complaining.
  • The brakes deserve a special mention here. Simply superb! I've done Blr-Mysore multiple times on the Octavia (Non ABS), and at night time if i'm too late spotting a speed breaker and i go hard on the brakes, it would skid. No such issues or drama with the Polo, even if i brake in the very last moment the passengers aren't scared and the car doesn't lose composure. ABS helps in this case i guess.
  • It was a 555 km long trip, but i only managed to achieve 16.17 kmpl on this journey. I'm disappointed with this,expected atleast 18kmpl, and this despite driving for over 150 kms between 80-100km/hr.
  • If you're a romantic who loves to drive with windows rolled down in overcast or slight drizzle conditions please don't pick the TDI. Its VERY noisy before the engine warms up and even after that if you mainly use the 1st and 2nd gear the engine sounds like a tractor. You'll be forced to roll up the windows and drive. Somehow, i also find the 1.6 TDI to be way too noisy when compared to 1.6 of the Hyundai. Could be that both 1.2 and 1.6 lack refinement of 2.0 TDI

In the initial days, i regretted buying this car over the Swift, but with each mile i clock, the love for the machine is growing

A few pics from the trip
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Replacements. EDIT : Now Sold!-bhp-1.jpg  

VW Polo TDI Highline : Multiple Breakdowns & Replacements. EDIT : Now Sold!-bhp-2.jpg  

shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 01:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk
In the initial days, i regretted buying this car over the Swift, but with each mile i clock, the love for the machine is growing
Good news then. Looks like the car is better suited for highway runs, than stop and go city traffic.

Regarding the NVH- got to appreciate Maruti and Hyundai. Hyundai seems to have mastered it, the i20 feels quieter than most small diesels and it doesn't even have under bonnet insulation. Even MS has made their borrowed engines quieter than the original.

But, did you get a chance to try the swift recently? It will be a different experience- now that you are used to the solid build and strong suspension of the Polo. When I used to TD the swift- I loved every bit I experienced, but when I tried it few days later, after getting the Punto, it was a different feeling altogether.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Good news then. Looks like the car is better suited for highway runs, than stop and go city traffic.

Regarding the NVH- got to appreciate Maruti and Hyundai. Hyundai seems to have mastered it, the i20 feels quieter than most small diesels and it doesn't even have under bonnet insulation. Even MS has made their borrowed engines quieter than the original.

But, did you get a chance to try the swift recently? It will be a different experience- now that you are used to the solid build and strong suspension of the Polo. When I used to TD the swift- I loved every bit I experienced, but when I tried it few days later, after getting the Punto, it was a different feeling altogether.
May be it is, within the city the huge turbo lag somehow makes it less enjoyable but i've gotten used to the engine and try to keep it in the turbo range

True that! Yesterday i had an i20 diesel some 5 feet away from me which was only marginally more noisier than my cousin's petrol i20, i had to look at the CRDI badge to confirm if it was a diesel or a badly maintained petrol. If they can manage this with no insulation, wonder how good it will be with proper insulation+some damping.

The most enjoyable part about the swift was that engine and power delivery! Will take a TD now and see if i still like it the way i used to before.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The most enjoyable part about the swift was that engine and power delivery! Will take a TD now and see if i still like it the way i used to before.
A very well rounded review there. Seems like you are getting hands on with the 3 pot. The main issue seems to be because of the number of cylinders and the resultant clatter it makes but that should translate in to a more frugal machine. Hope the mileage improves going forward.

Saw that you had a bad experience with the dealership which was very similar to what my friend experienced. In fact I had accompanied him to the Hosur road showroom where there were no attendants for a good half an hour. All we did was oogle at the Beetle, Passat etc and wait for some one to turn up. He was really turned off and went on to book a Dzire but thats another story.

Good luck with your ride and wish many happy miles ahead!
Old 16th July 2012, 16:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Seems like you are getting hands on with the 3 pot. The main issue seems to be because of the number of cylinders and the resultant clatter it makes but that should translate in to a more frugal machine. Hope the mileage improves going forward.
My friend owns both a 1yr Polo Highline TDi as well as a 1.5 yr old swift VDi and the swift always manages to deliver better mileage as well as performance. I quite dont agree with the Polo's frugality part. IMO, being a 3 pot motor, the engine rpm in a gear for a particular speed will always be higher for a polo than a similar cc 4 pot motor due to lesser power strokes at that rpm.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very well rounded review there. Seems like you are getting hands on with the 3 pot. The main issue seems to be because of the number of cylinders and the resultant clatter it makes but that should translate in to a more frugal machine. Hope the mileage improves going forward.
When i bought it, i expected it to be more fuel efficient than the Swift, but i'm quite disappointed with what i got. I've seen others on the forum get more from their Polo's, hopefully mine will improve.

Quote:
Saw that you had a bad experience with the dealership which was very similar to what my friend experienced. In fact I had accompanied him to the Hosur road showroom where there were no attendants for a good half an hour. All we did was oogle at the Beetle, Passat etc and wait for some one to turn up. He was really turned off and went on to book a Dzire but thats another story.
VW Palace cross is pathetic, i would've cancelled my car booking if Black Highline was available with any other VW dealer in bangalore.

Quote:
Good luck with your ride and wish many happy miles ahead!
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
I quite dont agree with the Polo's frugality part. IMO, being a 3 pot motor, the engine rpm in a gear for a particular speed will always be higher for a polo than a similar cc 4 pot motor due to lesser power strokes at that rpm.
A lot of other Polo TDI owners have got much better FE figures than i've managed. I agree that the Polo is at higher rpm's compared to Swift, but its not much. Swift is at 2.2k when doing 100km/hr in the 5th gear, Polo is at 2.5k rpm.

My low FE figures may be due to my driving style and also that my car still is relatively new.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I agree that the Polo is at higher rpm's compared to Swift, but its not much. Swift is at 2.2k when doing 100km/hr in the 5th gear, Polo is at 2.5k rpm.
Same with Punto. 2.5k rpm@100 km/h.

And i believe it has a direct relationship with FE. I am really amazed by the FE figures of the Swift, or even SX4 DDiS for that matter. Punto 90HP doesn't come close, even in the highway figures - even while cruising.

While maintaining 100kmph - the MID in Punto hovers around 20 kmpl. However - I have personally seen SX4 DDiS gives more than 22 kmpl in such situations.
Old 17th July 2012, 13:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
While maintaining 100kmph - the MID in Punto hovers around 20 kmpl. However - I have personally seen SX4 DDiS gives more than 22 kmpl in such situations.
In my car the MID hovered between 16.8 and 18, but the tankfull method threw up 16.17 as the mileage. Will have to recheck FE this weekend, i hope i get better figures. Its surprising that a small difference in rpm results in 2kmpl difference.
Old 17th July 2012, 23:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Always been a fan of Polo and like it over any hatchback as far as looks go. In black, it just gets better, Congratulations

@crazy_driver - Am not really surprised over the FE figs of yours. The MUL Cars indeed give stupendous figs.

Mine (Figo D on stock tires with alloys) hovers between 16.5 to 17kmpl (hovering somewhere around ~2,200 rpm) with short bursts of 140kmph+ to dislodge pesky Cars/SUV's. (Have done over 15,000kms and shall complete 16,000 by this month end)
Old 18th July 2012, 01:06   #27
BHPian

One hot ride! Do get the stubby antenna for it and add some nice DRLs or projectors, will be the hottest hatch on the road!
Old 18th July 2012, 17:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Always been a fan of Polo and like it over any hatchback as far as looks go. In black, it just gets better, Congratulations

@crazy_driver - Am not really surprised over the FE figs of yours. The MUL Cars indeed give stupendous figs.

Mine (Figo D on stock tires with alloys) hovers between 16.5 to 17kmpl (hovering somewhere around ~2,200 rpm) with short bursts of 140kmph+ to dislodge pesky Cars/SUV's. (Have done over 15,000kms and shall complete 16,000 by this month end)
Thanks a lot for the wishes! I wanted to go for a white car, but one look at a black Polo changed my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
One hot ride! Do get the stubby antenna for it and add some nice DRLs or projectors, will be the hottest hatch on the road!
Thanks! A stubby antenna is long due, the stock looks downright ugly on this car and spoils the overall looks. You can expect DRL's with a tuning box once the car crosses the 10k mark
Old 18th July 2012, 22:55   #29
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase shashank.nk. I initially was sold to Polo when I was looking to buy Petrol car. But later things changed and started looking for a Diesel car. And straight away I took Polo for a TD, and didn't enjoy it like the Petrol version of Polo.
Drove Punto immediately on the same day, and I fell for it! Well, I must say, I love Polo's design especially the front. And I love the looks of Punto on the rear. ;-)
Old 19th July 2012, 00:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Congratulations on the purchase shashank.nk. I initially was sold to Polo when I was looking to buy Petrol car. But later things changed and started looking for a Diesel car. And straight away I took Polo for a TD, and didn't enjoy it like the Petrol version of Polo.
Drove Punto immediately on the same day, and I fell for it! Well, I must say, I love Polo's design especially the front. And I love the looks of Punto on the rear. ;-)
Thanks and congrats on your Punto too! I've no TD experience with the petrol Polo, but our official review speaks high of it.

Punto is a superb car,especially in the 90bhp avatar! I picked the Polo TDI as i found it was more city friendly than the 2011 Punto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks