Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 14:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..

Background
========
Our 2004 WagonR LXi was a trusted workhorse. The low end torque, the seating position, the low cost of ownership and effortless steering (though some may call it lifeless, but i like it in city) were the USPs of the old WagonR with the F10 D engine.

Lately the car was demanding more attention, owing to frequent problems with AC unit, tyre punctures, heavy clutch and steering and increase in bumpiness of the suspension. Having run 70k kms and more than 8 years old, the time had come for a replacement.

The replacment of this car had to be a hatchback and a petrol one at that, given my monthly running. I was not looking at a proper Upgrade, but just a replacement. Test drove many cars in the same segment and a segment above. Some close contenders were:

Santro GLS
=======
The Santro is a nice and nimble city car. I was always the fan of Santro's city driveability and plastic quality. However the 2012 versions don't have the same kind of engine response as the older ERLX ones. Add to that, the gear lever in my test drive car(a brand new customer car) was vibrating which was very surprising. Hyundai must have done some cost cutting in this car and it didn't feel to have the kind of solidity seen in pre-BS4 Santro Xings.
Besides, spending close to 4 lacs on a more than 10 year old platform seemed like a little too much to me.

Ritz
===
Superb car. The 2012 petrol model has ongoing discounts of 40k which includes 20k exchange bonus.
The only thing that was against it was the fact that the central console was too intruding to my liking. I am 5'11 with long legs and did not appreciate the fact that my legs to not get enough room due to the central console housing the gear shift.

But this was not too much of a concern, it could be adopted to after some time and would have got used to it.
Ritz was almost finalized till i had a look at the new WagonR

WagonR
=====
This car is a completely different car from what i had been driving. Only the name is same.
For starters, the engine characterestics are a lot different than the F10D. There is a lag below 2000 rpm, specially in 2nd gear, but once this lag is crossed, its a breeze to drive. The engine feels extremely revv happy, unlike the coarse F10D.
The gearshift was a huge improvement over the old WR. The gears click and slot easily in each gear. Not as good as the Swift since the throws are still a bit long. But definitly better than some of the current B segment hatches.
Another area of improvment is the rear legroom. There is ample space for a family of 4 and and occasional 5th is though not welcome but still can be accomodated.
Then there are some tiny bits like better road noise insulation, provision of 6*9 speakers on each doors, steering wheel having better feedback etc. and the usual WagonR USPs like high seating and great view of the road which made the car all the more tempting.

So it was Ritz vs new WagonR in the end.

The thing that sealed the deal in favour of WagonR being 1 lac cheaper than the Ritz, most of my requirments were getting fulfilled with the WagonR itself, and the fact that i did not want to finance the car, the WagonR was also falling perfectly in my budget.

Hence bought a Glistering Grey WagonR LXi from Rohan Motors Noida.

The complete package including the discounts:
=============================

On road price Uttar Pradesh: 4.29 L
Old WagonR 2004 Lxi exchange price: 1.2 L
Exchange Bonus: 20 k
Cash Discount: 23 k
Additional discount: 8k (MGA or stereo, i opted for MGAs details are which below in Bold letters)

Accessories included in the package
=======================
- Nippon Remote locking security system
- Gear Lock
- Full wheel covers
- Body side moulding

- Art leather steering wheel cover (stich type)
- Mats
- Mud guards
- Divinity
- Perfume

Net cost of car inclusive of all accessories/discounts/exchange value= 2.67 L

ICE
==
I am no music freak and not really an Amp/woofer guy. All my previous cars had a simple Pioneer HU+ JBL Speaker combo, so this time thought of experimenting a little:

HU: JVC KD-X50BT
Front: Rockford Fosgate Punch series
Rear: Rockford Fosgate R-1653 co-axials
Price: 13.5k

The sound quality is awesome. The HU doesnt play CDs (and i don't miss it much anyways). Does pretty much everything else, including Bluetooth. Paring with my Galaxy S is a breeze and handsfree calling works like a charm.
Have changed colour settings in the HU to orange backlight, so as to match the car interiors overall theme in sync with speedo meter and AC sonsole.

Initial Ownership Report:
================

Engine response -

This engine does not have the low end perkiness of the old F10D or the Hyundai eRLX. Rather, the response below 2000 rpm is sedate. You have to downshift to 1st if you are negotiating a sharp speedbreaker. Stalled the car a lot of times due to habit of gliding over speed bumps on 2nd - blame the F10D !

Things change however as the revvs build up. Post 2000 rpm, there is a surge in power, almost like a turbo boost of diesel cars. Its more pronounced in 3rd gear after 40kmph.

I personally would have liked Maruti to tweak the engine a bit more for bottom end response, since in the city is where a WagonR would typically spend most of its time.

Clutch and gearshift -

The clutch is smooth and has just the right amount of travel. This is unlike the older WagonR whose clutch is hard and has long travel. Helps take a lot of fatigue off driving.

The gearshift, as i said earlier, is a vast improvement over the older model. The cable type gearshift as Maruti calls it, does wonders and the shifts are precise and "clicky".

The steering gives better feedback than the earlier model, its slightly heavier in feel than the previous gen.

Seating and space -

There is no derth of legroom and kneeroom, both at the front and at the rear. Compared to the older model, the rear legroom is astonishing, specially for a car of this class. Though this car can still seat only 4 people in proper comfort. Low width of the car means occasional 5th is unwelcome.

The boot space is on the lower side, compared to segment standards. Maruti has played it clever by improving the passenger room and compromising a little on the boot space.

Ride Quality -

The ride quality is a big improvement over the previous gen WagonR. Its no more bouncy and has a very mature and big car feel to it. Dare i say, the i10 and Santro does not even come close when it comes to the Waggie's ride quality specially in city. The ride quality is as good as the Chevrolet Spark, if not better.

Fuel Efficiency -

Having driven close to 200 kms now, its too early to comment on the FE. However a rough calculation on initial 150 kms showed a FE of 11.5kmpl with 100% AC and 70%city/30%highway driving. I do feel its on a lower side, however hoping the FE would improve by atleast 10% after the first 3000 kms.

What i didnt like
===========

- Average low end response
- Lack of internally adjustable RVM in the LXi model
- Super thin tyres :-(
- Vibrations due to 3 pot engine at idle
- Lack of dead pedal.

Pics
===

At the showroom getting ready for delivery -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-new.jpg

Side profile -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-external-side.jpg

Front view -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-external-front.jpg

Rear legroom for 5'11 height with front seat adjusted for same height person -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-rear-legroom.jpg

Daytime interior pic with JVC HU -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-interior-daytime.jpg

Interior pic at night -

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-internal-night.jpg

Last edited by DCEite : 1st July 2012 at 21:39.
DCEite is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 18:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..

Congrats DCEite! A sensible purchase. With diesel car prices soaring high, i feel its the petrol cars with mouth watering discounts makes more sense for people going for 2nd or 3rd car in family! The color is decent. Post interior pics along with the ICE (HU and Speakers).

Are the front speakers components? Where have you mounted the rear speakers?

The tyres look too skinny. Do upgrade to a wider profile and better rubber if you feel the need.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing the report.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

After owning my Wagon R that completes 8 years in a couple of months and has done over 60k kms. I can say that without doubt its the best hatchback.

Its not the fastest, its not a great handler. Its not the most frugal. Its not the most stylish.

But a city commuter, its simply awesome. The sheer adaptability of the car. She can be replaced only by another Wagon R.

But having said that. If I was in the market for another hatch. I would give a serious look at the Honda Jazz. But that is a much more expensive option compared to the Wagon.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:33   #5
BHPian

@bblost: The Honda Brio is an economical option if one can do with lower stance and less boot space!
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
@bblost: The Honda Brio is an economical option if one can do with lower stance and less boot space!
The brio is a very nice hatchback but its not a Wagon R.

The Wagon R wins because of the large boot door and the tall space inside.

The kind of stuff I have loaded into my Wagon R would put a small truck to shame.
OK that is an exaggeration.

But I have fit inside a foam mattress (6 feet * 6.5 Feet)
A 200 Liter Water Tank.
My cycle goes in very easily.
Airport duty with crazy amounts of suitcases and bags.

*Not all of them at once.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:03   #7
BHPian

Even I have been owning a WagonR K10B for 1.5 years now. Great car for city commute but falls short of the powerful sedans and speeding suv's on the expressway.
The steering is light and perfect for city driving but feels lifeless on the highways. So far have touched 130kmph (though not recommended for a waggie) on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and that too only once. It can cruise at 100kmph the whole day and the engine does not feel stressed.
Posting some interior pics of my car(LXi- K10B). The sun like cluster for the speedometer looks great and is easy to read.
The boot is a bit small on the K10B but sufficient enough for some shopping bags an you always have the split folding seats for the highway runs!

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-24072011164.jpg
Day time view of the speedometer

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-25062012550.jpg
Night time view of the speedometer

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-img2011090600027.jpg
Drivers view of the console. The light is due to the flash and all the lights of the car are off.

Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..-img2011090600029.jpg
AC controls. The light again is due to the flash.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:05   #8
BHPian

Congrats DCEite. With your low monthly running its a very logical step. Did the Eon or Brio not tick the same boxes as the Wagon R did? Maybe the Figo could too.

Anyway wish you many miles of hassle free ownership.
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on yet another Smart choice after owing one already. The tallboy and practicality bug for sure had bitten you.

When it comes to WagonR F10D, As a owner of the same car since the past 6+ years, mine had clocked 175,000 as of today and quite contrary to the popular usage/belief, I have mostly driven this on highways than the city. So much that when I am driving with parents, the easy ingress and egress ensures that I pick this one over the Honda City for my long drives. The ownership for me has been completely niggle-free and I can vouch for its reliability even today after having clocked so many kilometers. Nothing can even come close when it comes to the practicality of this Tall boy (Mine was with reclining rear seats that was icing on the cake).

I wish you many happy miles on this newer Avatar of the Tall boy!
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car @DCEite.

WagonR is a sensible choice. But, only thing that's still bothering me (ever since you reported in WagonR thread) is the fact that your lifestyle (Income) must have increased much over 2004... then why the WagonR Lxi. You could have treated yourself with a bigger & even better car. Don't you think you deserve better?
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations DCEite on the WagonR.

I am owning this one for last five years and this is a perfect city car. I am trying to find a suitable replacement but looks like there is none in the market for me. I have decided to keep it for couple of more years till I find a suitable replacement.

Do keep the thread updated with service and FE updates.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your second WagonR, @DCEite. The new Waggie is certainly more spacious in the rear seat than the older one, though this is at the cost of boot space.

I wish they'd provided a sliding rail like the front seat to adjust the knee room at the rear vis-a-vis the boot space. In fact I'd made this suggestion to MUL soon after buying mine, but at that point of time it was not possible as that would foul with the slots in the reclining rear seat. I wish they had retained that reclining feature in later models. But as the new models do not have this feature, they ought to have provided a sliding rail.

The only thing I don't like about the new WagonR is the lack of low-end grunt, though I am glad they improved the rubbery gear shift and steering feel.

On the F.E. front, I heard that the latest model gives nearly 15 kmpl in city driving, so I guess you should be looking forward to that number in the coming months. Mine gives only 11.5 to 13 in city driving, and around 16 on the highway.

By the way, my Waggie will complete 11 years this month end.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

DCEite,

Congrats on your new WagonR!! It is an absolutely VFM car at that pricepoint. Add to that the practicality that it offers, it is an awesome car!

I too TD'ed the new WagonR sometime back. I totally agree with your observations.
1. WagonR has awesome ride quality.
2. Clutch is really soft. And is nicely 'configured'. It was never easy to do the half-clutches on incline take-offs in traffic. But it is very easy on a WagonR.
3. Gearbox is huge huge improvement over the older one. I feel it is ike Santro now or even better.

Btw, even I have the same question as the some other folks. Why not an upgrade?

Enjoy your ride!
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:36   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the new car DCEite!
Wish you many years of happy (s)miles with new Waggie!

Knowing waggie and you from NCR.. are you planning to CNG-fy?
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:35   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the Waggie, DCEite!!

I own the previous gen F10 Waggie, and she has gone through the 70k service just last week.

When it comes to sheer practicality, I guess, only a Waggie can replace a Waggie!!

Here's wishing you many many happy miles on the road with your new ride!!

Cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks