Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:13   #16
BHPian

re: A Star AT: 22000 kms in 13 months and counting

Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Is is still called as Baker's Chocolate or it's a new shade?
The color is Caffeine brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Congrats mate !!! Please share the final price + the discounts that you managed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
It would be of great help if you could provide the break up of the final cost paid in detail.

You managed to get the delivery pretty quick - is the car 2012 make? Which month?

The final price was Rs. 5, 30, 275 plus the usual freebies. The on road actual price was about Rs. 5, 66, 275 or so.

The car is of May 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Sid View Post
Congrats sumannandy on the most reasonable AT box out there. If you are ok with fuel bills I dont think you would not have any other grouses against it(conditionally none in the family are on the taller side).
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Congrats on your new possession.

If you were interested in an AT, why did you not stop at the Hyundai showrrom.
Actually, the reported mileage of A Star AT is around 12-15 kmpl in city and 17-19kmpl in highway. That was the primary reason we bought A Star AT. The running cost is slightly higher than that of my safari, although in safari it is always AC on and I never switch off at signals.

The seats are actually comfortable for someone about 6'2". Of course, you cannot sit two tal persons one behind other. The front seat travel is longer than other cars. While that makes the person in front comfortable, the person at back will not be comfortable if he/she is tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Congrats Sumannandy on your new car. Just wanted to ask a few things:

1. I have read people mentioning that the dashboard of A-star is a bit higher and it becomes an issue for short people in terms of visibility?

2. I was also interested in knowing the pickup of the car with AC on, 5 people on board on slopes?
Dashboard is high, but it looks really good. Visibility is not an issue for me, but for my wife, she can manage.

There is no issue with 5 people with AC on board in slopes. In fact, I mostly drove with 5 people on board with AC.

In a slope, if you release brake, the car will move forward. But in a steep slope, if you release the brake, the car will not move forward. It does not move backward either.

Here is what I observed about the power.

The car can be driven in two modes. One, with light foot. The response with 5 people on board and AC on is just adequate. I mean, it does not necessarily lag behind, but it is not a rocket either. But it upshifts pretty early.

Second, the racing mode. In this mode, when you press the accelerator, the car will shift down to the lower gear, and will surge forward. Overtaking in kickdown mode is not at all a problem.

I have driven and owned many AT cars abroad, and I would conclude, that the driving experience in A Star AT is not any different than any other standard AT car I have driven.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. Drive safe

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2012, 21:44   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the buy. This new Caffeine Brown colour looks great.

Amazing decision indeed to go looking in the market for a fuel efficient diesel hatch and then return home with an automatic petrol!!!

Just a thought, you rejected the Figo since 3 people were uncomfortable at the back and you got the A-star!! A-star would probably be the last car to fit 3 people at the back.
Its not a bad car for 4 but the 5th person is a strict no no.
Old 3rd July 2012, 22:32   #19
BHPian

Many congratulations on the A-Star.

I am also in a similar dilemma, diesel hatch (for running costs), v/s A-Star (for the sheer convenience in Bangalore's rush hour traffic). The new beige interiors definitely makes the car feel more spacious and the 50-50 split rear seats are useful as well.

One question: Is there an option to fit a USB adapter to the stereo, as the dealer told me that there is no such accessory available for the A-Star.

Also, what would your opinion be about seat space and comfort of the Eon vs A-Star. I am currently wondering which one to go for. The Eon is a whole lakh cheaper for the Magna+ variant vis-a-vis the A-Star AT, but then, it is only a manual and does not come with ABS.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:24   #20
BHPian

Re: Diesel hatch to A Star AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
When did MSIL launch the new wagonR AT?? Nothing is specified on the website and as per my knowledge no one on Team-BHP has reported this.
Quote:
Is the new Wagon R launched with AT? I have my doubts on that. If they did, no one would buy the A Star!

PS: No offense to any A Star owner, but adding AT to Waggy's body, would make it a lot more practical than an A star.

WagonR AT is a 'made to order' thing which costs 70K+ than other waggy. I guess it comes only as LXI variant. Of course this a a 2 years old new when I was in search of auto hatch. Things might have changed and hence the question...
Old 4th July 2012, 12:30   #21
BHPian

Re: Diesel hatch to A Star AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
WagonR AT is a 'made to order' thing which costs 70K+ than other waggy. I guess it comes only as LXI variant. Of course this a a 2 years old new when I was in search of auto hatch. Things might have changed and hence the question...

Ohh. Never knew about this. Have never seen a WagonR using AT transmission, hence the surprise!
Well if the costs are more or less similar, WagonR AT is a great car to have considering its practical use in the city! Will have to follow up with MSIL. One of my relatives just bought a i10 AT, even they were not aware of WagonR AT!
Old 4th July 2012, 12:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thank you all.

The final price was Rs. 5, 30, 275 plus the usual freebies. The on road actual price was about Rs. 5, 66, 275 or so.

The car is of May 2012.
Wow, people in Banglore pay a lot for their cars.

Last year when I had checked for the auto A-Star in Mumbai I had got it down to 4.7L. Would have done the deal if could have further reduced to 4.5L.

Need to check now what is the on road in Mumbai after the freebies.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2012, 13:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, people in Banglore pay a lot for their cars.

Last year when I had checked for the auto A-Star in Mumbai I had got it down to 4.7L. Would have done the deal if could have further reduced to 4.5L.

Need to check now what is the on road in Mumbai after the freebies.

Cheers
I guess in Mumbai it is 5.85 Lacs on Road in Thane (checked last Sunday only!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post

Ohh. Never knew about this. Have never seen a WagonR using AT transmission, hence the surprise!
Well if the costs are more or less similar, WagonR AT is a great car to have considering its practical use in the city! Will have to follow up with MSIL. One of my relatives just bought a i10 AT, even they were not aware of WagonR AT!
I know for sure that the previous generation was available in AT mode (to fight against then rival Santro AT). The new generation isn't available in AT. I may be wrong though. I don't see the pricing in any auto mags too.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I guess in Mumbai it is 5.85 Lacs on Road in Thane (checked last Sunday only!)
You meant 4.85L right. Else you are in i10 AT territory.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2012, 14:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Never understood why the rear 2 seats inside this puppy. I cant even sit erect without my hair line scrapping the roof, and I am only 5'10"...!! A beautiful 2 seater at best, superb school-run-for-kids car with mum @ wheel. Even better only-home-office run-2nd car in home.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
I guess it is in the I10 Territory. If the salesman read it from the pricelist correctly, I clearly remember he saying 5.85.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:28   #27
BHPian

Got first tankful to tankful FE measurement today. With 100% AC, it is close to 12 kmpl. All drive within Bangalore city. The car has done about 266kms.

Not bad, hopefully it will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Many congratulations on the A-Star.

One question: Is there an option to fit a USB adapter to the stereo, as the dealer told me that there is no such accessory available for the A-Star.

Also, what would your opinion be about seat space and comfort of the Eon vs A-Star.
Not sure about USB. You might want to try USB to FM adapters. There is an accessory for bluetooth though.

I did not drive EON, so cannot comment. But apparently EON looks to be smaller than A Star. As you see, I had the similar problem. But I chose AT because of the convenience. And the mileage figure also looks promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Never understood why the rear 2 seats inside this puppy. I cant even sit erect without my hair line scrapping the roof, and I am only 5'10"...!! A beautiful 2 seater at best, superb school-run-for-kids car with mum @ wheel. Even better only-home-office run-2nd car in home.
Not criticizing your observations, may be it was the way you have felt. Actually, I am about 6'2", and I have traveled sitting at the rear seat of A Star. No, my knees did not scrape, as the front seat was not all the way back, and my hair did not scrape either.

Regarding 5 seater, you obviously do not get space of the safari that we have at the back. In fact, the rear space is lesser than Liva in my opinion. But we have been travelling with 5 on board for last couple of days and nobody complained of being uncomfortable. Again, do not take it as 'as comfortable as safari' in long trips, I guess it just does the job.

Now after driving the car for few days, here are some more observations.

1. Fuel efficiency seems promising, considering I usually drive with 100% AC.

2. The car is really comfortable to drive.

3. The central locking is not linked with ignition. SO while the doors does not lock automatically ( a bad thing I guess), at signals if I switch off, it does not get unlocked either.

4. Gear shift is predictable. There is enough power at your disposal if you press the accelerator.

Dislikes

1. The knob that controls airflow (circulation or outside) is a slider. It should have been a button.

2. The Fuel lid opener and the remote lid opener are too tight. I mean if you gently pull, nothing happens. You have to apply force. It should have been gentle.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Quote:
I guess it is in the I10 Territory. If the salesman read it from the pricelist correctly, I clearly remember he saying 5.85.
Well, its 4.81L Ex-showroom, Thane. So my guess, it should be around 5.2L on road.
Check out this link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

The car is of May 2012.
Hey sumannandy,
The website quotes Rs.467005 for A-star automatic, Ex-showroom, Banglore. Do check the cost breakup given by your dealer. There shouldn't be a difference on Rs 1L for the On-road price. check this.

Attaching a screen-shot also.
A Star AT: 26,000 kms in 15 months and counting...-616.jpg

Last edited by carzone : 4th July 2012 at 19:26.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:59   #29
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. The colour looks good.

I too am in the market for a second car, preferably AT. Looking for something with ABS and Airbags < 5 lacs but nothing seems to be available.
Veering around to considering the A-Star AT.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:57   #30
BHPian

Congrats for the Bug acquisition. Looks uber cute in that chocolate guise.
It would have been better if Maruti would have switched to 5gear ATs. It would have made the Star even more tractable.
But at the price offered, a VFM product. Happy driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks