Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:09   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem may be with oxidized connectors. My SX4 developed this problem around two years back. Renoved and reconnected the connector. The problem has not resurfaced till date. Yiu could also clean it with a solvent to ensure there is good contact.
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:52   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Star AT: 22000 kms in 13 months and counting

@Suman, looking at the updates in the thread, it looks like a nice, quiet ownership. I think it would remain like this - pretty much like my Ikon thread.

The FE numbers you have reported are encouraging. I was expecting more like 13 kmpl in city with A/c, but this is good.

Of late, I am begining to think that this car would the right companion to a larger diesel companion. The A-Star AT would be just right for city use, esp for the wife & for tight parking we encounter in city regularly. (The larger diesel would of course do duty on highway runs - like in my case).
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The problem may be with oxidized connectors. My SX4 developed this problem around two years back. Renoved and reconnected the connector. The problem has not resurfaced till date. Yiu could also clean it with a solvent to ensure there is good contact.
Will check the connectors. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Suman, looking at the updates in the thread, it looks like a nice, quiet ownership. I think it would remain like this - pretty much like my Ikon thread.

The FE numbers you have reported are encouraging. I was expecting more like 13 kmpl in city with A/c, but this is good.

Of late, I am begining to think that this car would the right companion to a larger diesel companion. The A-Star AT would be just right for city use, esp for the wife & for tight parking we encounter in city regularly. (The larger diesel would of course do duty on highway runs - like in my case).
A Star AT is a wonderful car. It also performs brilliantly over highways. So much so, for some of my recent trips, if number of passengers is less, I stopped taking my safari and using this car. The GC is not as bad as it is on paper (170 mm). It rarely scrapes bottom, so far only once minor scraping in this 18k+ kms of ownership.

With monsoon shower leading to bad roads and long traffic jam, and 100% AC usage over city, the FE hovers around 12-13 kmpl in the city.

Last edited by sumannandy : 2nd June 2013 at 12:16.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:16   #64
BHPian

Had two nice long drives in the car.

Last to last weekend, went to Hampi through Chitradurga - NH13. It was an awesome drive. Roads are good, with some patches near Hospet and Hampi. On te way back, covered 350ish kms in about 7 hours or so.

Last weekend went to an extended drive to Ooty, Conoor, Kotagiri and Nilgiris. Roads did not exist in some places on the way to Ooty with deep craters. On the way up, you take a turn and the car might land up on a ditch. There were a number of times when the front wheels landed in craters inspite of braking hard and we had to drive uphill at about 20kmph or so. In Nilgiris and Conoor, roads are awesome wit lots of twists and turns, enjoyed driving the car there. And it takes any slopes, whether it is starting from zero on a steep incline or taking uphill sweeping curves. Returned via Kotagiri - Salem - NH7.

The best and worst mileage was about 23.3 kmpl and 11.5 kmpl.

The car crossed 21000 kms in about one year of ownership.

20000 kms service including discount and wheel alignment and balancing cost us around Rs. 4500. Transmission oil does not need to be changed. So far only casualty is a weak balancing rod that costs about Rs. 400 or so, which would probably be replaced in the next service.

Apart from wheel balancing and alignment, for the service, the car was dropped at 5ish and delivered at 7.30ish. Excellent service from Mandovi Motors so far. Their service advisors Neil and Suresh are awesome. The car behaves very very well and it is a completely fill it forget it kind of reliable car, ready to be taken anywhere. The 170mm GC is great for hill driving.

There is something I should mention here. I pair my Windows phone with the Maruti Nippon Bluetooth and it even reads the SMS, allows you to reply to it using your voice or call. The voice recognition works pretty well. The car actually sounds pretty hitech for the passengers.

Also, in Windows phone Nokia drive, NH is pronounced as New Hampshire.

Last edited by sumannandy : 9th July 2013 at 09:21.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 10:47   #65
BHPian

Awesome, Suman.

If I decide to get a small car for the city, this will be it. Strangely, Maruti hardly promotes the A-Star in its advertisements, focusing on the Ritz, Wagon-R, etc.

There is talk of replacing the A-Star; I hope the replacement is as good or better in all respects, and is priced well. Sometimes companies have a habit of taking a good thing and ruining it in the name of improvement.
Old 13th July 2013, 18:09   #66
BHPian

Hi Suman

Great to see this car being used so extensively. Its fun, reliable and efficient. Besides of course low on running cost.

I know you have a long drive coming up...is this the car of choice for that trip?

I must say I am beginning to see several A Stars AT around.

Keep the thread up...its a very unique and fulsome thread regarding a not very popular car.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2013, 08:42   #67
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Madurai and Rameshwaram. Initially thought of taking the safari but the convenience of AT took over. 4 of us, with limited luggage, comfortable trip over 3 days. Left from Bangalore on Monday around 11.30 in the morning, was in Madurai by 7 (including lunch and break). Tuesday was in Rameshwaram. Started from Rameshwaram on Wednesday around 9 in the morning, reached Bangalore by 7.

The car can travel all day at 120 kmph very very comfortably. Top speed was about 140 kmph. Most of the time stayed around 110kmph to 130 kmph. Overtaking is a breeze. 95% of the time the car understands that you want to downshift and it does that. Pickup at second gear is awesome.

The best and worst mileage was 17kmpl and 13.5 kmpl.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:01   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The car can travel all day at 120 kmph very very comfortably. Top speed was about 140 kmph. Most of the time stayed around 110kmph to 130 kmph. Overtaking is a breeze. 95% of the time the car understands that you want to downshift and it does that. Pickup at second gear is awesome.

The best and worst mileage was 17kmpl and 13.5 kmpl.
Speaks a lot about the car. I TDed it once. I was very satisfied with its suspensions. You report good mileage as well. Is it at 17 because you were always over the 3-digit mark? Any chance in could be better ?

I also heard that it returns about 13+ for cities. Have you observed the same?
Old 18th July 2013, 13:43   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Speaks a lot about the car. I TDed it once. I was very satisfied with its suspensions. You report good mileage as well. Is it at 17 because you were always over the 3-digit mark? Any chance in could be better ?

I also heard that it returns about 13+ for cities. Have you observed the same?
It was 17 because I was driving at 3 digit speed and overtaking a lot, with the car shifting down. Usually if I maintain around 70 kmph, the mileage is around 23 kmpl.

In cities it returns about 13.5 with no AC and light foot in Bangalore. Otherwise with 100% AC its about 12.5 kmpl.

Suspension is really good for this car.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

Good long time review Suman. I fully agree with you about mileage, fun and reliability part of A-Star. Mine is Aug 2011 and I'm still enjoying it. Absolute breeze in city due to compact size. On recent highway trip, my A-Star AT was glued to the tail of City AT (with paddles) upto 120 kph. From thereon City peeled away but this tiny car was not far behind. To the City guy's frustration, one jab at his brake pedal saw us catching up. It is not powerfull on spec sheet but in reality it has very decent acceleraion.

Another wonderfull thing is the grade-ability. It is fantastic. We went up a hill 5-up with aircon on in D mode. MT cars of same size were struggling up. Wonder if it has very high ratio 1st gear.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:04   #71
BHPian

Seems to be a hidden gem in the Maruti stable. Pity they don't promote it well. Some 2 years ago when I was casually inquiring about the A-Star at a dealership, they immediately dissed it and recommended the Ritz instead. Perhaps their margins are lower on the A-Star so they prefer to sell the Ritz instead.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post

Also, in Windows phone Nokia drive, NH is pronounced as New Hampshire.
Same thing happens with my Garmin Nuvi with its Satnav India maps.

BTW, awesome review. I am surprised to see the FE figures you're getting. My neighbor has an i-10 AT and keeps grumbling about its FE. I believe it is always in single digit in Hyderabad traffic.
Old 5th August 2013, 07:39   #73
BHPian

Re: A Star AT: 22000 kms in 13 months and counting

I am planning to replace the 2 DIN audio with something that has a touchscreen and plays DVD, and connects a rear view camera. Is there any MGP option available?
Old 15th October 2013, 05:06   #74
BHPian

The car as completed more than 26000 kms in about 15 months.

Overall impression

The Bad

1. When the car goes over bumps at 30-40 kmph, occasionally there is a low rattling noise. No its not from the suspension.

2. Out of two horns, only one is working. Maruti tried to rectify it, even replaced under warranty but still no progress.

The good

1. Its a completely fill it and forget it car. There is absolutely no issues or niggles, apart from the horn.

2. It drives very very well and is planted on the highways. Its quick too. One press in the accelerator and it overtakes seamlessly, sometimes downshifting one or two gears as required.

3. FE is about 12.5-13.5 kmpl in city and 17-22 kmpl in highways depending on how you drive. Quite good. These figures are for 100% AC and sometimes at signal I do not switch off if the wait time is less.

4. The car comes pretty much loaded, wit power windows, ABS etc. Something that you would like to be inside.

5. Its comfortable and stable. I usually take bad roads slowly, so can't comment on that, but in few occasions the car nose dived into craters and the stability was maintained. High speed stability is awesome. You can comfortably drive at 130-140 kmph. Changing lane at high speed is not scary.

6. Effective ground clearance is pretty high, so no scrapping the underbody.

Other observations

1. Its more like a design issue, but the boot is small. It can accommodate 2 bags and may be a laptop bag. Anything more and you would need the rear seat.

2. The front seat travel is significant, so when completely pushed back, it is difficult for somebody tall to sit at the back.

I have done a number of long trips in the car over a variety of roads and no roads and never felt tired. Absolutely no niggles. The car pulls very nicely from standstill at very very steep inclines at full load with AC, may be due to the torque converter.

The transmission feels smooth, and is no different from many other automatic cars I have driven. On light foot, the gear change is optimized for FE.
sumannandy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 19:20   #75
BHPian

Hi

That is a good report. You are indeed keeping your car in good shape. Did you take the 2 DIN system?

Congratulations on doing 26000 kms. Besides Shirdi any other long trip?

Keep the thread updated.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks