Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st December 2019, 18:23   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Congrats on your purchase Shankar!

I was eyeing this very car but you beat me to it.

18 lakhs is a decent price. Is this the R56 N LCI?

I am still looking out for a Cooper S.

Will connect with you offline.

Btw, You went missing from the Gypsy group.

Enjoy the MINI. I am sure it’s a hoot to drive.

Kontoo:

Thats a coincidence indeed.
Im happy I beat you to the LittleRedDevil.

This is the R56 Turbo Petrol 1.6 which puts out 184bhp and 240 NM Torque out of its engine bay.
It has 6 Airbags as standard.

The AT is a Getrag Transmission and it has paddle shifters too (hellishly effective)

Under medium acceleration itself you can actually feel its wild wheelspin - what a hoot!

Like Carroll Shelby in his Cobra wheelspinning and drifting and sliding away from a standstill after going to see his doc. (7000 rpm and Everything fades) (Courtesy Ford vs Ferrari)

LittleRedDevil can dart in and out of holes in the traffic on the highways. And its turbo boost is truly a joy when you push the pedal to the metal when overtaking. It takes off like a scalded jack-rabbit!

Push the Sport button and when you use the paddle shifters to downshift when cruising down an incline on the highway, you are rewarded with a magnificent 'brrrm brrrm burble crackle pop' from that Magnaflow exhaust (an after market fitment by Doctor) - a sound that is absolutely guaranteed to get your adrenaline flowing and which sound is highly evocative of those beautiful sports cars of yesteryears...

Yes I did jump off that Gypsy whatsapp group because I just didnt feel I was getting any real value out of it. But I still do have my Gypsy which is my general 'ute'.

If you send me a PM with your number I will connect on whatsapp
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:34   #77
BANNED

Slight misquote:
Carroll Shelby says that to his doc around the early bits of the movie and then drives off with serious wheel spin in his Scarlet Porsche 356.
Then towards the end of the film he again wheelspins away in his own Cobra.
Old 6th December 2019, 05:37   #78
BANNED

Default Re: Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven

Another neighbour who lives down the road a bit, has this 2016 Cooper S.
Quite a few big differences between my 2012 R56 and this 2016 F55 type - Not only cosmetic.

It’s a turbo 3 cylinder BMW engine which pulls 192 BHP for a start as compared to my older 4 Cylinder Prince engine (developed along with Peugeot) which pulls 184 bhp.

The interiors of the newer vehicle are thoroughly upgraded. The car itself is both longer (around 100mm) and has a wider track too. Plus the platform upon which it is built is the much newer one from BMW. UKL - UnterKlasse.

The front nose bits also look different and the halo lamps encircling the headlamp cluster are clearly visible along with other appearance changes like the grille design and the air intake honeycomb at the bottom,for the inter cooler and of course the fog lamps integration etc. (Ignore the S grille badge I have placed on my car - thats NOT an Original Design Element on the R 56 but only an after market one. However the S grille badge on the F55 type is part of the OEM design element.)

This vehicle has 205/45/17 size tyres/ rims. Tubeless, not RFT’s. Mine rides on 205/55/16. Also tubeless.

I do believe the use of tubeless here in the Indian versions, is necessitated mainly because of our wicked road conditions, even in the cities.

The BMW design engineers are absolutely wizard, in my book - to have kept true to the retro-modern design philosophies of the Mini Cooper S while thoroughly upgrading the underpinnings and creating evolved facelifted versions every so often, in order to keep this little classic relevant, is no mean feat.

Saying that, perhaps it is a bit of bias, but I prefer somehow, the design of my older second gen R56 as compared to the newer third gen F55.
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-7d3fc6d3268144afb3638f75dfc5e071.jpeg  

Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-c1213259c5864bd6ac63c12e76c5dbc9.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th December 2019 at 05:40.
Old 6th December 2019, 22:11   #79
Team-BHP Support

The car you have posted is an F56, and it has a 4 cylinder 2 litre engine. Agree with what you have said about the designers sticking to the Mini ethos and upgrading it a lot!
Old 7th December 2019, 06:35   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The car you have posted is an F56, and it has a 4 cylinder 2 litre engine. Agree with what you have said about the designers sticking to the Mini ethos and upgrading it a lot!

Yes correct
I was mistaken.
I checked back and know the 1998 cc petrol is a 4 cylInder block.
And it puts out 192 bhp.
Old 28th December 2019, 14:26   #81
BANNED

Default MINI COOPER and MINI COOPER S - INDIA - The Request Inputs Thread

Hiya
=====

Quick Intro Note:

I just wanted to begin a simple new thread for any Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S owners out there so as to try and capture and compile information in one place.

I am starting with my set of queries as I recently bought an used 7 year old Cooper S with 33732 kms on the clock. It was brought exactly one month ago - to date.

I have driven 1400 odd kms in it after purchase, mostly in and around Bangalore and neighbouring areas.

Putting in some of my notes and queries below as thread starter...

========

My Mini Cooper S R56 Second Gen, Turbocharged Petrol. 2012 Model Year.
(bought used with just 33732kms run - 7 year old car) - I ve given it to an Independent Garage - CarSmith - for oil change and general servicing etc, since all this is due in Jan / Feb 2020. I prefer doing it a bit early.
And I am using the BMW approved Twin Power Turbo LL01 5w30 recommended oil for Mini.

BMW Service had quoted me a price per litre of this oil - Rs 2500 odd.
And strangely enough I had bought one litre of this oil from them a month ago, and paid only 1000 Rs.

I bought it for emergency top up purposes. And when I asked them, their explanation for this one and a half times increased price, is not at all convincing!

Now, while, I learned from the previous owner of my S that he did not used to always use BMW specified coolant in the car and normal petrol pump coolant is ok etc, I am reading different on various BEEMER and MINI Forums.

On account of the different compositions of coolants and the inherent salts present in water, one is supposed ideally to use only the recommended coolant and distilled water to dilute it. Else it can cause scaling, salt build up and leakage in the hoses and/ or damage/ leakage in the coolant pump itself.

Now, my car was ramped up 4 weeks ago at BMW and they did not note anything untoward in the visual inspection.

However, now that I ve taken it to CarSmith a couple days ago, there is a tell tale coolant pump leakage sign underneath the driver side of the car, behind the front lower arms etc - a hard to reach sort of place, but the dark patch of leakage is visible. Thought it isnít dripping when the car is stationary. The mech says that it will leak when the car is running and pump is working. And thats not a reassuring thing!

Now I know it will be expensive but I want to buy a new pump and replace the old one.

However, I want to again take it to BMW Service and ask their Mini Technician for an opinion.

Does any one else on the forum have any inputs for me please?
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-3ce4b906d9e64df09d08602565521d03.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 17:37   #82
BHPian

These pumps just give up over time. I recently got one changed on my S4. It's a hassle because we had to open up the entire engine and get it swapped with the newer one.
sweetvar26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 19:24   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
These pumps just give up over time. I recently got one changed on my S4. It's a hassle because we had to open up the entire engine and get it swapped with the newer one.
Well the car has been raised and sitting there for 2 days and we ve flushed the radiator thoroughly and refilled coolant etc. Since then not a single leak.

However I will keep a watch - and as needed, will buy and change the pump - it costs about 17K Rs in BMW Service. If I import it from Dubai or the US, it costs only 11-12K Rs.

However, for now the MINI will remain in the garage because the steering rack needs a couple of those polyurethane bushes to be added (replacing the rubber ones since those are gone) and there is a distinct thud one can hear when one hits the delicious potholes in Bangalore. I want to get rid of that and have a smooth “well damped” ride.

Checked the strut mounts and struts themselves, the ball joints and lower arms and all the rest of it - all good.

We are changing all the spark plugs to some lovely Denso Iridium ones. On this car the current spark plugs are of BERU from France. They would very probably be the original ones supplied with the car - because the manual says change them in 60K MILES! The car has done 35K Kms in INDIAN conditions. Hence am opting to change these asap.

One more irritation is that the Wheel lug nut lock - key sheared off when trying to loosen the bolts and remove one of the wheels. So I ve ordered a bunch of 16 of those Cooper Lug Nuts to replace all the wheel nuts. Will leave the car in the garage until those come.

I am trying to have the MINI checked through as thoroughly as possible and make all the necessary preventive maintenance investments now itself, so as to ensure peace of mind.

I am working with CarSmith, an Independent Garage near my house - I m not very pleased with the way Navnit BMW service overall is responding to our needs - there is no empathy there and service is not seeming to be a passion with them.

Yes I know all this is expensive. But this car is my dream and I m comfortable with spending correctly, to look after it properly.

I mean, you cant go and buy a thoroughbred race horse and then treat him like perhaps you would, a cart horse right?

And truth be told, even my dear old “beater” Gypsy, ‘my farm cart horse’, is also being fed and watered with the best possible quality of food and drink...no discrimination in my world.

I love both these vehicles and will keep them as well as I possibly can...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st December 2019 at 19:27.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 21:46   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am working with CarSmith, an Independent Garage near my house - I m not very pleased with the way Navnit BMW service overall is responding to our needs - there is no empathy there and service is not seeming to be a passion with them.
Nice to read updates about your new possession. Would like to know more about your experience at CarSmith including pricing difference. I got myself a X1 after selling the yeti and am on the lookout for a FNG in and around HSR to take care of it.
Old 4th June 2020, 21:31   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipinprasad View Post
Nice to read updates about your new possession. Would like to know more about your experience at CarSmith including pricing difference. I got myself a X1 after selling the yeti and am on the lookout for a FNG in and around HSR to take care of it.
Yes you should go to CarSmith. He is a nice chap and knowledgeable about these exotic/ imported / high end vehicles.
Old 7th June 2020, 12:14   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes you should go to CarSmith. He is a nice chap and knowledgeable about these exotic/ imported / high end vehicles.
Thanks. Visited him for Oil Change and a general check up. He is knowledgable and provides sane advice. Will be using him for regular service.
Vipinprasad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed