Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper S

Looking at everyones update, the delhi dealership seems to be much better than Bombay. I am/was considering buying the Mini-Cooper S and asked for a TD in Jan but they just don't get it together. Multiple people call me asking the same thing over and over again. Confusion and chaos reign because they aren't even able to call at a specfic day and time. Not to mention, when I have written and verbally requested a TD of the S, being asked multiple times whether I want the "two-door car or the four door car?"

Terrible customer service so I'm very put off and reconsidering even the test-drive!
Old 17th April 2013, 17:44   #47
BHPian

Re: Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven

Just read somewhere that MINI India has started the production of the Countryman at the Chennai plant. It was also written that a diesel variant might come soon.

Will the prices fall after this? I think taxes for CKD are much lower compared to CBU.

Right now the ex-showroom for Countryman is from 23,50,000 to 37,50,000.
Old 17th April 2013, 19:23   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Just read somewhere that MINI India has started the production of the Countryman at the Chennai plant. It was also written that a diesel variant might come soon.

Will the prices fall after this? I think taxes for CKD are much lower compared to CBU.

Right now the ex-showroom for Countryman is from 23,50,000 to 37,50,000.
If the pricing comes down significantly I would love to own a Mini Cooper S someday.
Since we are a small family it can easily be our only car...
Dreams dreams dreams...
Old 17th April 2013, 21:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Just read somewhere that MINI India has started the production of the Countryman at the Chennai plant.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...142471586.html
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:43   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Mini Countryman has commenced seembly in India. With this, the Countryman became the first Mini to be produced outside Europe.

Quote:
The Mini Countryman is now being assembled at BMW’s plant near Chennai. The first locally assemble Mini Countryman recently rolled off the production lines of BMW India and seen here in the lead image is Mr. Robert Frittrang, Managing Director, BMW Plant Chennai with the first locally produced Mini Countryman
http://motoroids.com/news/first-loca...oduction-line/
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:56   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mini Countryman has commenced seembly in India. With this, the Countryman became the first Mini to be produced outside Europe.
We have a thread running on this topic:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nai-plant.html
Old 29th May 2013, 15:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If the pricing comes down significantly I would love to own a Mini Cooper S someday.
Since we are a small family it can easily be our only car...
Dreams dreams dreams...
On my visit to the Vasant Kunj,Delhi showroom on monday I was offered the following :-
1) 3.5 lakhs INR discount on 2012 manufactured Cooper S
2) 1 lakh discount on 2013 manufactured Cooper S.
3) 6 lakhs discount on the2012 Countryman S.
4) No discounts on the Countryman D yet but going by the tone of the salesman I don't see it very far .

I am also waiting for the prices to get a little more reasonable before buying a Cooper S.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:03   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
We have a thread running on this topic:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nai-plant.html
Wonder when if ever, the first load of Mini Coopers would come into the used car market and at what price of course.
Now that would be worth waiting for I guess.

To me the Mini is infinitely more desirable than the X1 or Q3 or other 27-32 lac cars.
I really hope and pray that one day I get to own my own Mini...
Old 15th December 2013, 12:15   #54

Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

I finally had the chance to test drive the Mini Cooper.
The Show rooms in B'bay are at Santacruz (W), basically just continue on linking road if you are coming from Bandra and go straight at the signal (right goes to SV road, Left towards Juhu). The other one is at Maker Chamber, Nariman Point and the used BMW/Mini is at worli-immediately after Atria Mall take the left when travelling South.

The Showroom was nicely done, staff courteous but it took almost 3 weeks before I could drive the Cooper S hatch, that car never seems to be available. The countryman D was available in a day of me approaching them, but they are always in a hurry to get the car somewhere for something!

I entered the showroom for the countryman, but one look at the cooper S Hatch and I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Countryman D: Its got the 5 doors, adjustable back seat, boot space, under 4100mm length and ground clearance of 149mm, Higher Torque of 270Nm (than the petrol S hatch) and 112Bhp. Its the "Practical" one to get, the on road price B'bay is approx 31 Lacs for the basic trim (assembled in Chennai). The interiors are still nice and quirky, the seating position was relatively high but I couldn't get a good driving position with the manually adjustable seats. All the test drives I managed were very short ~2km in the local area.

The key has to be inserted into a slot and there is a start/stop button. You can tell its a diesel engine that you just started, though its way quieter than my 2009 Diesel Skoda Fabia (which has shocked people with its racket).

Acceleration is descent with the low end torque and the ride was slightly harsh with just two people, but with 4 people it was not that bad. Tyre pressure and rim size will make a difference in the ride quality. People were already craning to see what car was passing them by. The Big Center speedo dominates the console, the music system was the standard grade one and was nothing special. The power window switches are on the door and the hand brake has a different feel to it, like a Thrust lever of an aircraft. The car no doubt does feel solid in build and I didn't really have a problem with the ride quality. To get all the goodies the higher trim version costs another 5 lacks approx. (Sunroof, Display system, Harmon Kardon etc).

contd..

Last edited by Eddy : 15th December 2013 at 15:38.
Sandyboy101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 23:36   #55

Re: Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

The Cooper S hatch was driven twice. One was a preowned one with under 4k km on it and 1 year old, the other was a test drive car. Both these were fully loaded - Leather seats, Lights Package, Mini Visual Boost (the detailed display), the used one had the sunroof etc. The Cooper hatch S with some options costs around 40 Lac on road and if you want an exact colour/options ~4months wait till they ship it to you.
If there was a car I would spend 40 Lacs on, it would be the Mini cooper S. (ok not really 40...thats just too much)
The moment I sat in it, I was hooked.
My requirements as of now are for a Small hatch, Automatic, fun to drive and luxurious inside. In 2009 the Fabia fit the bill except for being a manual (bill being under 10 lac at the time).
The Mini is fantastic to drive. The seating position was bang on, the steering wheel was awesome and the engine marvellous. The auto gearbox with sport mode/manual mode/paddle shifters is a dream to use. This car just connects with the driver...like that dinobird thing in Avatar. All the reviews talk about the harsh ride but i found it ok, its not a car to be chauffeured in, for what the car is ..the suspension has to be, maybe non-run flat tyres and smaller rims will make it nicer. The acceleration in combination with the steering and the size/stance of the car will definitely make you think- "How Should I muster up 40 big ones, cause I want this lil racer"!
Then you come home and rethink- its a tiny car, hardly any boot space, cramped rear seats..really cramped and is difficult to get in cause of the 2 doors, Ground clearance of 130mm which means u better be going slowly over speed brakers, no spare wheel. Then you will find yourself justifying - The front seats are very nice-perfect driving position, the feel of the steering, the toggle switches, the Display/iDrive and the power.. oh the power- 184bhp on a 1100kg car.
I really want this car. If you are a family of 2 with a dog its perfect, the occasional passengers can suck it up at the back, they will be appreciating the car for the first half of the ride anyway.
The wife loved the convertible cooper at the showroom, The Hatch S was shot down inspite of its good looks inside-out due to the inaccessible rear seats and the price. After a few days she felt it was the nicest cars she has seen (in this category)...so maybe.
Mid 2014 Mini will be launching the new versions, the new 2 litre engine will probably be much more expensive, it doesn't seem like the S versions will be CKD'd locally which will keep the prices high. So either a used one or hope for some fantastic deals if you can live with the 130mm GC and inaccessible Rear. Or get the countryman diesel- which really didn't connect with me.
I will be checking out the Merc A180, BMW 118d, Polo TSI and wait for the Punto/500 Abarth if they are to come in 2014. Mercedes has not bothered to contact me about the test drive i signed up for 3 weeks back. The Merc and Bmw are quite long so they become big car category for me.
I guess I will just continue for the time being with my Fabia which is serving me quite well.
Sandyboy101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 06:54   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
really want this car. If you are a family of 2 with a dog its perfect, the occasional passengers can suck it up at the back, they will be appreciating the car for the first half of the ride anyway. The wife loved the convertible cooper at the showroom, The Hatch S was shot down inspite of its good looks inside-out due to the inaccessible rear seats and the price. After a few days she felt it was the nicest cars she has seen (in this category)...so maybe. e. I guess I will just continue for the time being with my Fabia which is serving me quite well.
Your requirement and overall priorities remind me to some extent of my own. Sadly, as long as one lives and works and pays taxes in India, I guess the price that one will be forced to pay for a Mini Cooper will always be way too much. I also love that car and aspire to own one, one day. Probably an used one. For the moment, my Skoda Yeti is the nearest next best thing I could find which gives me the kind of 'happy feeling' that only a car that one really likes, will do!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 07:34   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Your requirement and overall priorities remind me to some extent of my own. Sadly, as long as one lives and works and pays taxes in India, I guess the price that one will be forced to pay for a Mini Cooper will always be way too much. I also love that car and aspire to own one, one day. Probably an used one. For the moment, my Skoda Yeti is the nearest next best thing I could find which gives me the kind of 'happy feeling' that only a car that one really likes, will do!
I actually started my search with the Yeti, which I enjoy driving , I am curious about the new automatic & face lifted yeti for 2014. My father drives one and we swap cars sometimes...which leads me all the more to Not requiring a big car, as he lives close by.
I would have thought that the market has the space for a VW golf and the likes to start coming in.

I guess explaining a small car big price is still a curiosity for most.
Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:52   #58
BHPian

Re: The Underdog

Quote:
The Convertible is heavier than the Cooper S hatchback and makes far lesser power.
Hi I am planning to hire the MINI Convertible for an overseas driving holiday next month. We are family of 2 adults and 2 children and will be carrying 4 carry on rollover bags. In the review posted I noticed the 160 Litre boot in the MINI Cooper S, but it wasn't specified what is boot capacity in the MINI Convertible. If you can confirm whether the boot size of the cooper S and the convertible is similar?

Thanks!!
Old 27th April 2014, 18:29   #59

Re: The Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi I am planning to hire the MINI Convertible for an overseas driving holiday next month. We are family of 2 adults and 2 children and will be carrying 4 carry on rollover bags. In the review posted I noticed the 160 Litre boot in the MINI Cooper S, but it wasn't specified what is boot capacity in the MINI Convertible. If you can confirm whether the boot size of the cooper S and the convertible is similar?

Thanks!!
I think the boot space is smaller for the convertible. It is a small hole at the rear not accessible from inside like the usual hatch boot area.
It should take 4 carryon bags but better you check up on the size.
Have a fun time.
Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 02:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
l- which really didn't connect with me.
I will be checking out the Merc A180, BMW 118d, Polo TSI and wait for the Punto/500 Abarth if they are to come in 2014. Mercedes has not bothered to contact me about the test drive i signed up for 3 weeks back. The Merc and Bmw are quite long so they become big car category for me.
Can I just say that your car aesthetics reek of bombay! Here up North the fetish for size and brawn even before 'style' (such as it is) is appalling.

I have driven the 500 in the UK, not the Abarth though, which is coming in december 2014 for sure. It actually is roomier inside than a mini if i am not wrong, and its styling is less overdone, more 'effortless', more impish inside and out. But I found the ride much too firm, the Abarth will only be more so. The punto Abarth will only come next year, i guess. That one does sound like a fine fit for your tastes.

Consider the Fiat Avventura if you are ok with the 'cross' styling: rumour has it that it will come with the 1.4 t-jet that powers the Abarths, albeit in a lesser state of tune and with big wide wheels too?

Most Viewed