Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 14:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele
Congratulations.
Scorpio in Black, that looks best IMO.

Surprising to note two points missing for a vehicle that sets us back by a million rupees. filter and antenna / wiring is such a basic thing; that it would not even strike a customer to check for. Why Mahindra, why?

Sharath - though you've mentioned it in the post earlier; asking for the sake of satisfying myself -- during your trip to Coorg; did you feel the need for ABS on winding wet roads?

BTW -- we are almost sailing in the same boat - me too would exchange my 2006 Indica Xeta, almost similar mileage on odo when I go hunting for bigger car. The process is on.

Edit : please please remove that chrome on the rear lights. It just does not suit the character of the beast.
Alright. Even i am planning to remove the chrome as the fitting also has not come perfect and with loadsa ppl asking for it, (rather demanding and commanding!) i wil get this removed after first service.

ABS, i have not driven any car with ABS for long drives. So I am not the best person to opine. Still, i never have felt till now any lack in braking. I can sense you might be in dilemma between LX AND SLE. If you can afford, i would suggest to go for SLE.

And yeah, i should mention few more niggles i observed in coorg trip:

1. Hand brake even if is applied, scorp was hesitating to stand firm in downhill. I can say they could have improved this.

2. AC water drops felt on left foot after long hours on highways. Nothing new for me as same issues i had in my xeta, but after upgrade thought i would not be having these minor problems.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:11   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
And yeah, i should mention few more niggles i observed in coorg trip:

1. Hand brake even if is applied, scorp was hesitating to stand firm in downhill. I can say they could have improved this.

2. AC water drops felt on left foot after long hours on highways. Nothing new for me as same issues i had in my xeta, but after upgrade thought i would not be having these minor problems.
Looking forward to the pics from Coorg.

With regards to the issues you mentioned :
1.) Always use a combination of the handbrake as well as gear in opposite lock when parking on an incline. It's no easy job holding up a 2.5 tonner.
2.) Never faced this, and it would be prudent to get this checked.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 16:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
I had faced this in my Xeta a couple of years back while coming back from my hometown. Went to the service center next day and it seems some connector which terminates in the AC vents went bust; replaced and nothing after that.

I am just guessing something similar here. Don't wait for the next due service. I guess, in your case, it should be free replacement under warranty.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looking forward to the pics from Coorg.

With regards to the issues you mentioned :
1.) Always use a combination of the handbrake as well as gear in opposite lock when parking on an incline. It's no easy job holding up a 2.5 tonner.
2.) Never faced this, and it would be prudent to get this checked.
Will post the pics soon, Benny. And of course while parking i do use the gear and handbrake combo be it any car. But while idling in traffic signals such as the one you get when you approach DG petrol bunk signal from top, and you don't want to switch off the engine, then it is the handbrake only. I understand the volume it has to hold, but still as I said they could have done something better for precision. Anyway no big complains on this.

Regarding AC water dripping on your left foot, I will certainly get it checked in 5K service. Again this is also not a serious issue as i saw, it was just one or two drops that fell after driving it for 2 hours in AC continuous. But happened twice. Couldn't resist mentioning that since I have this very bad talent of noticing a small minor issue also
Old 8th August 2012, 16:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looking forward to the pics from Coorg. .
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0806.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0804.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0760.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0759.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0757.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0626.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0630.jpg

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0636.jpg
Old 6th September 2012, 23:05   #36
BHPian

Many Congratulations Sharath, Some great pics of the truck. I don't know how I missed your ownership thread. I agree with most of the niggles that you've mentioned. My SCORPIO Lx is now 6 months old done around 8.5K kms. Even i face a problem at times with the rear door knob opening it from inside. After the first service you will find the engine getting more refined, and gears to smoothen. I am still looking for the antenna, the Mahindra guys do not have it. BTW how much did they charge you for the extended warranty.

The only problems faced till date are a flat type (that was shocking) last week, and the rear cabin light switch came off & got lost. The guys at the ASC have asked to replace the entire fitting.
ADI_77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 21:56   #37
BHPian

1st Service Update:
Now, the Scorp has completed 4900 Kms before it turned 3 months!!
Decided it was time for first service and booked that in Chrome Motors, Mysore road as I had satisfying experience during my previous visit for quick fix of broken front bumper. Spoke directly to service advisor, Mr Abhilash and he confirmed the booking for next day.

9AM I was there at service station and handed over the scorp. Apart from the regular 1st Service chart, I had below list:

1. AC filter fix
2. All doors creeky noise and difficult to open
3. Rear door noise
4. Steering noise when you steer that slowly
5. Balancing issue: Vibration between 100 and 120Kmph
6. Differential Noise between 60 to 80Kmph while running with full capacity.
7. AC water drops near left foot after continuous drive with AC for around 3 hours
8. Bumper re-fit
9. Tail lamp chrome removal
10. Possibility of changing the location of fog lamp switch

Car was taken and I informed Abhilash saying I would wait in lounge and make it quick and if it takes lot of time, I shall take scorp without wash also. He obliged and assured he will make it quick.

Car hand over to me happened at 3PM in the noon. Did all my work there itself in lounge lunch and juice in nearby fast food.

Could able to see how the mechanics handled it, and was quite satisfied with the labor work. Since I had kept this whole day only for this, decided to have the washing also there. And also went to washing area to check how they do. It was a very good washing and I was thoroughly satisfied. Though the wiping persons were bit lazy and did not do finishing properly. I din’t bother to talk about this with them.

Regarding issues mentioned above, door opening from inside remains the same and I can see they haven’t even looked at this. Rear door noise and steering noise was there and I noticed immediately once I took the car out of service station. Immediately came back and shown that. They promptly took the car and did greasing for door and for steering they removed it and adjusted few things in the column. Both are behaving OK now!

Engine oil, gear oil and differential oils were replaced. Engine sounding smoother than before and all others things are pretty fine! While they were wiping the car, I saw one fello had put his mobile phone to charging in my car. Later while I was driving car back noticed that 12V DC cap is not there! Spoke to Abhilash about this and he had promised to provide that anytime when I visit there.

Total bill was 3450/-

Overall I can say good job done by Chrome and as usual it happens in all service centers, they hardly care for everything you say and will do just what and how they want. You just need to live with that and should be always prepared for pointing out the things you really want to get fixed and behind that until it is !

As promised, i am posting few pics of Interiors here.

Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0393.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0394.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0395.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0396.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0397.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0398.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0399.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0400.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0401.jpg
Mahindra Scorpio LX: My Dream Come True: Initial Ownership Review-dsc_0402.jpg
Old 19th September 2012, 13:03   #38
BHPian

Congratulations on realizing your dream Sarath. As correctly pointed Scorpio LX this makes a excellent value for money with Scorpio reliability and a very decent package. As I understood, the Scorpio LX 7 seater and 9 seater version difference lies in the 3rd row seats. Could you please elaborate the noticeable different in the Scorpio LX 7 seater and 9 seater version.

Are the middle rows seats adjustable (folding /reclining /moving)?

Ice set-up looks decent. The front door pockets with speaker enclosures are a nice touch. IMO bigger pockets in that would have been more useful. Where did you got it done and what is the material used?
Old 20th September 2012, 18:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
Congratulations on realizing your dream Sarath. As correctly pointed Scorpio LX this makes a excellent value for money with Scorpio reliability and a very decent package. As I understood, the Scorpio LX 7 seater and 9 seater version difference lies in the 3rd row seats. Could you please elaborate the noticeable different in the Scorpio LX 7 seater and 9 seater version.

Are the middle rows seats adjustable (folding /reclining /moving)?

Ice set-up looks decent. The front door pockets with speaker enclosures are a nice touch. IMO bigger pockets in that would have been more useful. Where did you got it done and what is the material used?
Thanks, Boruwa. The difference is, in 9 seater middle row passengers cannot recline as much as they can in 7 seater. This is the only difference. May be there is a small difference in leg space, but it is not noticeable. And, middle row seats are foldable. But no recline or move options in LX.

ICE again, i just went for a basic single DIN with bluetooth and USB. HU is Pioneer DEH 4490BT. It does good except it doesn't have Mute function in HU!!

Front door pockets, I would say it is kind of OK OK. I am not 100% satisfied with them. They are of wooden inside with fabric touch outside. Bigger ones could have been handy, but again their projections inside the cabin is not so good. And it was making lot of noise before I fixed two additional screws all the way from pad till door metal. Now it is firm!

Front speakers I got JBL component C series. For the rear I have utilized from my old Indica, JBL GTO937.

I have got this done from Autoshop, Koramangala in Bangalore.
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 22:41   #40
BHPian

Hi Sharath,

Congrats on your new car. I too have a scorpio which is just 2.5 months old. I'm interested in the floor mats that you have now, presume yours is a fabric/carpet type material. What I currently have is a vinyl/platic type which I hate. What brand are these and are they available in Chennai? Any contacts would help.

Thx & Rgds,
Karthik
Old 20th September 2012, 23:46   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow
Hi Sharath,

Congrats on your new car. I too have a scorpio which is just 2.5 months old. I'm interested in the floor mats that you have now, presume yours is a fabric/carpet type material. What I currently have is a vinyl/platic type which I hate. What brand are these and are they available in Chennai? Any contacts would help.

Thx & Rgds,
Karthik
Thanks Karthik. I got that from Reliance Auto zone in Bangalore. They surely must have in Chennai too. They were running some discounts and I got it for 1.4K. It is fabric carpet type is total vfm. The vinyl / plastic / rubber ones which showroom gives is junk in my view. By the way.. Where are pictures of your bull? And do post your initial experiences and problems if any you are finding. We both are exactly in same boat with 2.5 months old !

Last edited by SharathScorp : 20th September 2012 at 23:47.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:32   #42
BHPian

Office is keeping me quite busy from the time I got my truck. You would not believe, I have just clocked 1250 kms and currently in the us for a 1 month trip. The car is in the garage from the 2nd of this month. Planning for some trips when I return.

Tried searching for these type of mats but could not manage them. Either they give me just 4 pieces, a regular generic one or I do not get the required ones as per my liking or as per the scorpio specifications. BTW, 1400 seems to be a VFM . There are some niggling issues and needs to be attended by the SC's. Did not find time to take it to the service center for a small problem.

Will scout for the mats once I'm in India. Till then have a nice time with your bull. Will get in touch once I'm back...

Rgds,
Karthik

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 21st September 2012 at 00:34.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:36   #43
BHPian

Hi Sharath,

Great to know your truely enjoying the beast. I also bought this amazing mahine on June 2012 and have clocked 6K on my odo.

My only problem till now is the rattle from the second row seats if unoccupied , constant vibration from the back rest . When I showed it to the service station they bluntly said since there is no sound if the seats are occupied then there is noting they can do about this.

Did any of the scropio owners face this similar issue. If yes please let me know how to get rid of this.

Regards
AK
Old 9th January 2013, 16:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a very sensible buy with the Scorpio Lx. It is truly a VFM product with just the necessary amount of bells though some of the nice to have whistles are missing.

Nevertheless there is no compromise on the mechanicals, power or other basic creature comforts. Have similar plans to upgrade to a SUV for the next set of wheels and yes the Lx comes right at the top of the list (unless there is a new and exciting offering at the very same budget). However contemplating the 4x4 as it would be a dream come true to have one.

Will be watching this thread keenly to be abreast of the updates. Till then have a great time!
Old 15th February 2013, 18:52   #45
BHPian

Second Service Update:

The black beauty completed 10K on 19th Jan. Quite fast I must say, within 7 months. Got the second service done at same Chrome Motors Mysore Road on 21st Jan.

Experience: Was there at the service station promptly at 9AM. The same service advisor Mr. Abhilash took the vehicle and was noting down so many oil changes and stuff. I just asked him about as per the chart it is just Gear Oil and all others are just top ups. Then he also went back to books and just marked only that. Was wondering about the knowledge of these guys, where they wake up and sleep with same work everyday and doesn't know simple things!

Complaints: No complaints except one of the horns was not functioning due to some loose connection or dust. He noted. He promised me to wait till 12:30 in the noon else can come anytime after that to take vehicle. I left from there saying will be back after lunch around 2.

Delivery: Called Abhilash around 2 and he said vehicle is in washing and will be ready by the time i reach there. Was there at 2:30 and car came from washing. Abhilash prepared the bill and it was around 600 rupees for the oil and taxes, and they had filled windshield cleaner bla bla. While he was preparing bill had asked him whether he had checked the vehicle for all other correctness and about the complaint about the horn. He just nodded signalling all things are perfect.

Then while parking near the gate he only took the car and tried to blow horn and it was same story. It wasn't checked at all.

He noticed I was obeserving and laughing. He took back to bay and called mechanic and was asking him why he has not checked. That mechanic did not even respond to him and just smiled. Complete work on that again putting his hands beneath the front bumper and all, removing and fixing. Finally Success!! Clock was 3:30! Just told him in relaxed mood itself, saying don't know what you guys work. He was trying to justify but i just came off.

A week later as usual call comes for feedback and though i hate their ratings of we are allowed to give only 8 as least if we are not satisfied, i gave many 8s and just few things as 9 and 10. Next day itself Abhilash calls and asks why 8s sir !? I didnt answer and asked him only to answer. He says sir, for just that delay you have given 8? I said thats the least i could give. And it is for their improvement. Do improve if you can. He just laughs and promises for next time better.

So there ends the second service story. Scorp is running good, around 10KMPL and smooth.

Did a north karnataka long drive during Christmas. Was amazing road trip.

More in next posts.. Happy driving till then!

Most Viewed