Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 17:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

The s10 was pushed further inside the garage, with the arrival of a new yellow beast into the family. A Mint condition Octi RS, run just 16k kms!!

My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-img_9033.jpg

Happy days were back again. Most of my time was now spent on minor stuff on the RS, and on monster mods! Planning on starting a thread for it soon.

Is this the end of my s10 adventures? Well, No, A new beginning is near!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
jay congrats first, I can understand your predicament at this hour man.I wonder how you managed to stay composed all thru the fiasco with this so called Ignite Garage and its owner ?

Finding a pristine car is a herculean task these days and then having found one, some moron deciding to screw it up takes it to a whole new level of frustration.what next did you open up the head as said by that incompetent mech ?

Thanks RJ. Yeah i know, staying composed was hard. More than anger, i was depressed, and felt extremely disappointed that a person, so well recommended in the online world turned out like this.

The only thing which kept me going is that i knew i could fix it up someday. Fix it up, i did. And ho. Watch out!

It is extremely sad, when such a rare car is ruined by sheer carelessness. I hope this thread saves other s10's from meeting a similar fate.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th August 2012 at 17:53. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use edit / multi-quote. Thanks!
JayD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 17:52   #62
BHPian

re: My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun

Congrats on the RS! Awesome Two speed monsters! True Petrolhead!
Old 8th August 2012, 17:54   #63
BHPian

re: My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The only thing which kept me going is that i knew i could fix it up someday. Fix it up, i did. And ho. Watch out!
Come on then! What's with the suspense?

Don't keep us guessing now.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:58   #64
BHPian

You seem to have a penchant to buy cars that are difficult to maintain . They both are totally worth the effort though.
zoombiee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 18:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

JayD - the numbers of new additions and the details of the same in your signature do not match. Please reconcile Congrats on the yellow vRS

I have a feeling that i can somehow link your story, the two S10s and the minor change in your Signature (x1). awaiting more details.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbind85 View Post
Congrats on the RS! Awesome Two speed monsters! True Petrolhead!
Thanks! Rs is wid bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Come on then! What's with the suspense?

Don't keep us guessing now.
Sorry to keep all of you waiting. Unveiling now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
You seem to have a penchant to buy cars that are difficult to maintain . They both are totally worth the effort though.
Haha!! Yes. very true. frankly, for me, the joy is more in 'building' than driving. But that does not include getting ripped off by random jokers tho! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
JayD - the numbers of new additions and the details of the same in your signature do not match. Please reconcile Congrats on the yellow vRS

I have a feeling that i can somehow link your story, the two S10s and the minor change in your Signature (x1). awaiting more details.

No confusion Planetji. x2 is very much there. The sig is very outdated. Many additions since then. No space!

As days went by, and more interesting machines came into the garage, the s10 just slept. I , meanwhile was doing a complete analysis on whom to approach in chennai to atleast get the clutch functional. That would mean the car would be atleast drivable. idle or not.

S10 with Friends!
My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-img2012030100101.jpg

For sometime, i was just driving around the Rs, and other machines in the garage. The s10 as told earlier, was chilling in the garage. But somewhere deep within, i wanted to drive here. Unfortunately, she could not comply.

One day, a friends called me from cochin. "JD!! I spotted #379" was what he told.

For those of you, who have read the first page, it can be noted that that was one of the few cars which was invoiced in cochin, and i spotted at the yard, way back in 2002!!

I got a snap of the car too, one which my friend took while he was on his bike. Not too clear, but still good. I was in love. Again.

A few days later, he saw the car again, and spoke to the owner, asked him if it was for sale. He replied with a firm NO.

But anyways, got his number, and left.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th August 2012 at 09:38. Reason: Back to back posts.
JayD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 19:33   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I
I don't see anything wrong in that statement unless you own an Indica/Indigo diesel.
Most of the team bhp members advised me to change all the rubber parts. Tyres and timing belt are in the MUST CHANGE list.
Ignite is having a lot of good reviews here.So i assumed that Raghav knows everything, the timing belt change not required statement was a bit diffcult to digest. As Raghav did not know what most team bhpians know.

Moreover i am not blaming Raghav for anything,I went there with the assumption that he will be the ultimate stop for all my needs but it was not to be.
So i came back.

There are people who know everything and just need some random mechanic to do their work. They will provide instruction on what to do.

And there are people like us,who know nothing but we trust the mechanic to know everything and trust him blindly.

Quote:
To be honest, i was fed up. I had spent all my time, money and effort on this car, but it still wouldn't run, and there was nobody to fix it.

This looked like the end of my S10 adventures for a while. But then again, this turned out to be only the beginning!!

4460, during happier times
Attachment 966781
Awesome picture. S10 with a super blue sky background.
Old 8th August 2012, 19:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

wow! JayD, thats quite an awful experience at Ignite and I am surprised all these happened at Ignite. I used to get my Tavera serviced & my 1.6S checked there occasionally. He was a nice guy to deal with and that was over an year back. Dont know if anything changed offlate.

Anyway, I have seen your S10 quite a lot of times near DMS and always used to drool at it. Never thought it was yours

Hope to see it back to life and running soon! Did you check with Electra on OMR!? My friend used to get his Palio GTX servied at this place!
Old 8th August 2012, 19:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Is the RS a KL 05 reg one because I remember seeing one at many places recently. Looking forward to the S10 story to unfurl.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th August 2012 at 20:14.
Old 8th August 2012, 23:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One day, a friends called me from cochin. "JD!! I spotted #379" was what he told.

For those of you, who have read the first page, it can be noted that that was one of the few cars which was invoiced in cochin, and i spotted at the yard, way back in 2002!!

I got a snap of the car too, one which my friend took while he was on his bike. Not too clear, but still good. I was in love. Again.
Lucky you or should we say lucky S10s in Cochin to be seen by you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Most of the team bhp members advised me to change all the rubber parts. Tyres and timing belt are in the MUST CHANGE list.
Ignite is having a lot of good reviews here.So i assumed that Raghav knows everything, the timing belt change not required statement was a bit diffcult to digest. As Raghav did not know what most team bhpians know.
Not all T-BHPians are experts in the mechanicals of a car which also means they are no experts at telling what should be changed at what intervals. Mostly some will read out from their own car manuals or some others are very good guessers. Please do not get misled by them. There are very good knowledgeable folks out here who know what they are talking about. All you have to do is spend sometime going through threads and posts on a regular basis to sift the real ones from the one time posters.

From personal experience, my esteem is running on the original timing belt for the last 13.5 years and almost 1.5L kms. Me too read some posts and insisted on my garage to change the timing belt at 90k kms and then i begged him to change at 1.3L kms, but every time my mech opened the case and looked at it, he said it looks as good as new, only the new ones do not last long.
The AC, alternator etc belts are the ones that are exposed to the harsh weather conditions and need replacement at early intervals.

BTW, I think Raghav is also a T-BHPian.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 00:20   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
wow! JayD, thats quite an awful experience at Ignite and I am surprised all these happened at Ignite. I used to get my Tavera serviced & my 1.6S checked there occasionally. He was a nice guy to deal with and that was over an year back. Dont know if anything changed offlate.

Anyway, I have seen your S10 quite a lot of times near DMS and always used to drool at it. Never thought it was yours

Hope to see it back to life and running soon! Did you check with Electra on OMR!? My friend used to get his Palio GTX servied at this place!
As a person,i find him to be very friendly and pleasant. I just wish that, if he knew he couldn't do this work, he should have just said so in the first place, instead of going thru all this thamasha.

What do you mean by DMS? Im sorry, but cannot Place it.

I wanted to goto electra, but heard that it aint the same after krupesh left, hence didnt go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Is the RS a KL 05 reg one because I remember seeing one at many places recently. Looking forward to the S10 story to unfurl.
Nope. The rs is yellow, and its always in chennai. Never taken it to cochin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Lucky you or should we say lucky S10s in Cochin to be seen by you !
Hehe.. Lucky car i must say!!

Quote:
From personal experience, my esteem is running on the original timing belt for the last 13.5 years and almost 1.5L kms. Me too read some posts and insisted on my garage to change the timing belt at 90k kms and then i begged him to change at 1.3L kms, but every time my mech opened the case and looked at it, he said it looks as good as new, only the new ones do not last long.
The AC, alternator etc belts are the ones that are exposed to the harsh weather conditions and need replacement at early intervals.

The esteem, is bullet proof, compared to the fiats. The timing belt is a known weak point in this engine, and ive seen a lot of cars done <40k kms, with timing belts needing urgent replacement. Very few people can do it well, and as a result, most of these cars die out.

[/quote]BTW, I think Raghav is also a T-BHPian. [/quote]

Good. hope he realizes how much pain i went thru, if he reads this thread. Even though ive interacted with him well, on several occasions after this, i have never even mentioned about the car to him again. Never felt like doing so.

P.S he has seen the 'unrepairable' car flying by several times after It was set right by a knowledgable mech. I guess that itself speaks for me!
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 00:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a person,i find him to be very friendly and pleasant. I just wish that, if he knew he couldn't do this work, he should have just said so in the first place, instead of going thru all this thamasha.

Good. hope he realizes how much pain i went thru, if he reads this thread. Even though ive interacted with him well, on several occasions after this, i have never even mentioned about the car to him again. Never felt like doing so.

P.S he has seen the 'unrepairable' car flying by several times after It was set right by a knowledgable mech. I guess that itself speaks for me!
Good that you have maintained a healthy relationship with Raghav even after your bad experience, JayD. I hope he reads this thread through too. I know Raghav also and have been to his garage for some of my friends' cars' services too which is why I want to volunteer and find out what was the real problem. Knowing Raghav and you too knowing him through Team BHP, I find it strange that such a thing has happened.

I seriously want to see another S10 scorching Chennai roads(means the track side) like 16V100BHP's S10 used to (Where is he BTW ?).

P.S... I do find it strange though why you never felt like talking to him about your problems with the car after you took delivery. Even the devil needs a rightful chance, na ? (Not to say Raghav is a devil )
Old 9th August 2012, 00:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Heart over head, again

Coming back to the s10,

I got the number of the cochin s10 owner from my friend, and called him up.

Asked if the car was for sale, and he replied with a firm NO.

I told him i was an enthusiast and wanted to check out the car, as i had a similar one.He agreed to it, and a meeting was fixed for the next week.

In my mind i had already set though, i wanted that car

The next week, i went top cochin, and got caught up with work. In the evening, somehow went to office, to meet the owner.

Was a middle aged person, certainly didnt look like an enthusiast.

We soon got talking,and turned out we had a few amily friends in common. i asked him how he ended up with an s10. He was an NRI, and wanted acar for his fathers use here. He looked around for a fully loaded hatch, and the s10 was the best equipped at the time. So he bought it. Simple!!

Anyways, we soon became friends and gave me the key and asked me to take the car for a spin.

I went down, and into the parking. There she was. In all her shining yellow beauty. The same car which i had set my eyes on, 9 years back. And almost in the same shape too. And i was going to drive it. To say i was the happiest man on the planet at that time would be an understatement!

Coming to the car

She was all original. Had all the logos, stereo, bodykit etcetc intact. The interiors were in good shape. Fiat accessory seat covers were put before delivery, and were still on. So the s10 seats were fresh and unused below them!!

The odo showed less than 30k kms! Still factory fresh.

I nervously turned the key. She came to life in half a crank, and settled into a smooth idle, not something which i was used to.i slowly eased her out of the parking and went for a spin. It was brillaint. Just what i expected. I wanted the car right away, but couldnt. So iparked her back, before i decided to run away with it!

Went up to the owner, and gave back the keys. Except for a weak front shock, and some other minor issues, the car was as good as new.

Asked the owner if he wanted to sell it. Something told me he would budge, and he did!!

He quoted a crazy price, and i quoted mine. Asked him to think about and he told me he would get bak within a day.
Attached Thumbnails
My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-20111118-17.38.29.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 9th August 2012 at 01:03.
JayD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 01:44   #74
BHPian

This is a pretty neat car! What price did the owner quote for the s10?
Old 9th August 2012, 02:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
This is a pretty neat car! What price did the owner quote for the s10?
+1. what was his asking price post negotiation ?
Guys, we know that s10 has different gear box from the regular 1.6 gtx/stile. Does it have a different suspension set up as well ? however, what happens if the gear box assembly needs a replacement or the suspension if its applicable. i dont think Fiat wouldn't be supplying s10 spec gear box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks