Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun

Congrats on your new buy JayD.Please post some more pictures of this beauty.
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:23   #17
BHPian

re: My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun

Congrats on your new buy JayD.
Nicely story. Really liked the first part (the magazine and all)
S10 is really a hot hatch. Please do keep us updated about the maintenance, modifications etc.

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:27   #18
BHPian

Very well written article Jay D. It shows the true spirit of the enthusiast in you and a childhood dream cherished when you got your job. The saga of ownership is just 1/3rd of the book and we are eager to read the rest of story. Keeping my fingers crossed
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:53   #19
BHPian

Just when I was least expecting to see a new thread on the S10, here it is. Congrats & Thanks a lot JayD for reviving all of that nostalgia. Surprisingly, my story with the S10 has been 99% similar to that of yours, the BSM magazine article, standing in front of the showrooms just to have a glimpse of that beauty, urge to buy the S10 then and there, following Amit's TBHP thread on S10 religiously, and at last being a proud owner of a S10 in 2011 soon after I got my first job, I've seen it all, exactly as you have. I say 99% just because you bought it in September 2011, and I in October 2011, just after 2 weeks.

Reading this thread left me in a state of trance, as if I was going through my own life's story. Thanks a lot again JayD. I wonder how could the course of life of two S10 owners of the same age group be this similar. Your post has inspired me to post a ownership review thread of my S10 too. I doubt any other car ignites this much of the emotional quotient. It would be great to catch up with you sometime with your prized possession, the S10.

I recently went to the western ghats with the S10, you can check the thread here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...o-1-6-s10.html

Cheers, and hope to hear from you soon

Last edited by RevvMusic : 24th July 2012 at 17:20.
RevvMusic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Congrats on the S10! If Palio 1.2 was so good to drive (thats the only Palio I have driven ever), I can only imagine how much more fun to drive this beast, with the 1.6 litre heart, could be! Enjoy and keep her forever. I am sure these Fiats can last a lifetime, if looked after properly.

Sad that we don't have a hot Punto available here in India - a Punto with 1.4 TJet or 1.8 / 2.0 litre NA?!

Thanks devan, I havent driven the 1.2 much, so i cannit accurately judge the difference, but i can confidently say, the s10 blows away any other hatch in the fun to drive aspect. And sharing the same suspension and chassis, the 1.2 should be a good drive too..

The current fiats are nowhere as fun to drive as the older ones. But look at it this way, way back in 2001, fiat offered a 100bhp hatch and estate, but nobody was willing to buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Congratulations on acquiring one of the most sought-after hot-hatchbacks in the country!

I remember reading that article and probably have a copy of that edition too. I was an ardent follower of BSM as a child. And if I recall correctly, it was mentioned in that article that Fiat had tuned the exhaust so that it would make a more distinct and sporty sound. So every time I spotted a Palio S10 on the road, I'd make it a point to annoy my father into driving alongside the car, roll the windows down and peer out just to grasp that fruity note.

Have a wonderful time with your S10. Keep her clean and drive safe!
Thanks suhaas! It definitely is a sought after hatch!! And you are correct, the article mentions that fiat has modded the exhaust for a sporty sound, and what a note it is, The stereo is completely unnecessary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Stunning car, and a good article to read! i am sharing this link with my friends who love the yellow S10

safe riding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Congrats JayD! Wish you lot more happy miles with the S10!

Thank you sunny, waiting for a thread on your s10 too!
Old 24th July 2012, 17:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats on your new buy JayD.Please post some more pictures of this beauty.
Thank you cityvic, and yes, this thread is going to be flooded with photos soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMohan View Post
Congrats on your new buy JayD.
Nicely story. Really liked the first part (the magazine and all)
S10 is really a hot hatch. Please do keep us updated about the maintenance, modifications etc.

Cheers
Thanks acmohan. Glad you like the thread, i will keep updating the thread very regularly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
Very well written article Jay D. It shows the true spirit of the enthusiast in you and a childhood dream cherished when you got your job. The saga of ownership is just 1/3rd of the book and we are eager to read the rest of story. Keeping my fingers crossed
Thanks Nimish, yes, as you have rightly said, its only 1/3rd done!! More surprises soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Just when I was least expecting to see a new thread on the S10, here it is. Congrats & Thanks a lot JayD for reviving all of that nostalgia. Surprisingly, my story with the S10 has been 99% similar to that of yours, the BSM magazine article, standing in front of the showrooms just to have a glimpse of that beauty, urge to buy the S10 then and there, following Amit's TBHP thread on S10 religiously, and at last being a proud owner of a S10 in 2011 soon after I got my first job, I've seen it all, exactly as you have. I say 99% just because you bought it in September 2011, and I in October 2011, just after 2 weeks.

Reading this thread left me in a state of trance, as if I was going through my own life's story. Thanks a lot again JayD. I wonder how could the course of life of two S10 owners of the same age group be this similar. Your post has inspired me to post a ownership review thread of my S10 too. I doubt any other car ignites this much of the emotional quotient. It would be great to catch up with you sometime with your prized possession, the S10.

I recently went to the western ghats with the S10, you can check the thread here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...o-1-6-s10.html

Cheers, and hope to hear from you soon
REvvmuisic, Brilliant!! Glad to see another guy just like me. Actually a lot of kids that time ogled at the s10, only a few chased their dreams!! Waiting for your thread buddy, will catch up sometime soon!
JayD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 17:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Continued

After 2 weeks of use, these were my views

The good part

1) Engine- Oh what joy, she loved being pushed, and the engine/exhaust note was to die for. It had torque everywhere and was ready for action anytime.

2)Gearbox- The delightful s10 specific short ratio box was brilliant. I could potter around n town wit 3 people and ac even in 4th, and would pull cleanly away. also, the gears on this car are the primary braking tool. the brakes are nonsense. So the short ratio box helps really.

3) Interiors- Th interiors on 4460 are the best ive ever seen on an s10, and fully original too. hats off to varun for keeping her so well

4) Tires- The car came with an almost new set of michelins. No worries here.

5) Originality- No special edition car is complete without the limited edition bits. Thankfully, this car had all of them intact. most s10's have lost ateast some of the items over time.

The bad parts

1) Brakes- OMGG!!! The brakes on this car need a special thread altogether!! They have to be by far the worst on any automobile!! Spongy feel, slow bite and excessive fade!! What was fiat thinking when they equipped this monster with non existemt brakes like this?? Even my 1957 landmaster has better brakes i feel!

The reason i found later is that the palios abroad came with bigger brakes(indian advy spec) for the more powerful engines, whereas in india, all cars got 1.2 spec brakes!

2) Windshield- The windshield had a fair number of scratches, and visibility at night was very bad. It had to be changed, but that meant losing the excellent Vkool film on the glass.

3) Headlights- Palio headlights let in water. Its a time honoured problem, and my car had it too. Both the headlights were dull and visibility was horrible. Had to change it.

4) Taillight- One tail light lens had cracked and had to be changed

5) Clutch- the clutch was spongy and was not returning to the position properly. Master cylinder was changed by varun, slave had to be changed.

6) Rear Wiper blade- Someone had flicked it, replacement needed.

7)Intake hose cracked- Another common issue with this engine. replacement needed

8) paint- Had cracked in placed and faded in others, a repaint was on the cards, after sorting the mech work.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Continued

I love the bad parts of the 1.6 and i love THIS car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
After 2 weeks of use, these were my views

The bad parts

1) Brakes- OMGG!!! The brakes on this car need a special thread altogether!! They have to be by far the worst on any automobile!! Spongy feel, slow bite and excessive fade!! What was fiat thinking when they equipped this monster with non existemt brakes like this?? Even my 1957 landmaster has better brakes i feel! ..
anything above 100 is bad when it comes to brakes, pump them along with downshifts to keep it under control. add sticky tyres.
one TBHP member Kaustabhvaze?? did an advy rotors swap - check out the thread under technical section - no mods required.

Quote:
3) Headlights- Palio headlights let in water. Its a time honoured problem, and my car had it too. Both the headlights were dull and visibility was horrible. Had to change it..
check the rubber seal behind the headlamp cluster - see if they are in place and the L breather pipe facing down. if u see moisture - drive without the cover. you will not notice them during summer / winter. if you see water inside, use a pipe to flush it out - just the way you may want to flush water out of an aquarium

Quote:
6) Rear Wiper blade- Someone had flicked it, replacement needed..
if the blade / rubber is missing - buy a wiper blade, cut it into shape and slide it in.

Quote:
7)Intake hose cracked- Another common issue with this engine. replacement needed.
i thought this was changed when it was with varun, he wrapped the crack with lucoplast AFAIR.

PS: Why the "small" change in the signature? 'x2' is missing!! got rid of 'x1'?

PS2: either the side skirts need to go or the mud flaps!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 24th July 2012 at 18:15.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
I love the bad parts of the 1.6 and i love THIS car as well.

anything above 100 is bad when it comes to brakes, pump them along with downshifts to keep it under control. add sticky tyres.
one TBHP member Kaustabhvaze?? did an advy rotors swap - check out the thread under technical section - no mods required.
I have seen his thread, and was tempted to do so. But i have done some other work on the brakes and its fantastic now. Details soon!

Quote:
check the rubber seal behind the headlamp cluster - see if they are in place and the L breather pipe facing down. if u see moisture - drive without the cover. you will not notice them during summer / winter. if you see water inside, use a pipe to flush it out - just the way you may want to flush water out of an aquarium
There was no use in checking them as the lights were faded beyond recognition. I have since, changed both.

Quote:
if the blade / rubber is missing - buy a wiper blade, cut it into shape and slide it in.
My mech suggested the same, but a good deal on an entire arm assemble, so i got it. Also, the old arm was in bad shape, so made sense to change it.

Quote:
i thought this was changed when it was with varun, he wrapped the crack with lucoplast AFAIR.
Yes, it had some tape over it, but was still pulling in air from outside.

Quote:
PS: Why the "small" change in the signature? 'x2' is missing!! got rid of 'x1'?
So as not to break the suspense!

Quote:
PS2: either the side skirts need to go or the mud flaps!
Flaps gone.

Actually a ton of changes have happened, the thread is lagging by abt 9 months now! hehe!
Old 24th July 2012, 19:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Just some random pictures. The sticker on the rear windshield caught my eye!
Attached Thumbnails
My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-img2011112800235.jpg  

My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-img2011112800234.jpg  

My quest for a hot hatch!! Palio S10 EDIT : Now Another one; the mods have begun-img2011101300091.jpg  

JayD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 19:58   #26
BHPian

Congrats JayD. Hope this S10 is one of the most looked after in town and also lies with a perfect enthusiast.
Add to that it has some wonderful cars in your garage for company :-)

Most of our plans for a meet did not materialize. Hope we will meet soon.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
3) Interiors- Th interiors on 4460 are the best ive ever seen on an s10, and fully original too. hats off to varun for keeping her so well

1) Brakes- OMGG!!! The brakes on this car need a special thread altogether!! They have to be by far the worst on any automobile!! Spongy feel, slow bite and excessive fade!! What was fiat thinking when they equipped this monster with non existemt brakes like this?? Even my 1957 landmaster has better brakes i feel!

The reason i found later is that the palios abroad came with bigger brakes(indian advy spec) for the more powerful engines, whereas in india, all cars got 1.2 spec brakes!
Really commendable it is to keep a decade old car's interiors in such a good shape. But can we all see that as well? Photos please...

Surprising to hear about the brakes part - I was actually really impressed by the braking characteristics of Palio 1.2 Sports. But the only cars I had driven in my life before I drove the Palio were M800, Premier Padmini and Mahindra Jeep. So may be it was just an impression I got.

Again, photos please, Jay!
Old 25th July 2012, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Last moments with 4460 ....
karizma_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 17:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Wherever there is an S10 involved, emotions are bound to flow. Such is the charm of this special car!
karizma_devil, I'm pretty sure 4460 is in the right hands
Old 25th July 2012, 17:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Congrats JayD. Hope this S10 is one of the most looked after in town and also lies with a perfect enthusiast.
Add to that it has some wonderful cars in your garage for company :-)

Most of our plans for a meet did not materialize. Hope we will meet soon.

Thanks peter! Yet to see you s10 though.. Will surely meet up sometime. Btw, pls update ur thread too...good to see more s10ers around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Really commendable it is to keep a decade old car's interiors in such a good shape. But can we all see that as well? Photos please...

Surprising to hear about the brakes part - I was actually really impressed by the braking characteristics of Palio 1.2 Sports. But the only cars I had driven in my life before I drove the Palio were M800, Premier Padmini and Mahindra Jeep. So may be it was just an impression I got.

Again, photos please, Jay!

Yes. The interiors on this car were mint. No scratches, tears sagging seats etc. everything was crisp as new. Exteriors i know i can set right, but interiors once damaged, is very hard to set back to oe spec. Especially on a special edition like this.

Plenty of photos coming up. Stay tuned.

As i said earlier, the brakes on this car are designed for a 1.2, thats why they felt adequate to yo. On the 1.6, they are worfully inadequate. More than the bite, it is the fade once heated up that is worrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Spoken from the heart! please share your experiences too buddy...

Last edited by JayD : 25th July 2012 at 17:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks