Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 09:59   #31
BHPian

Re: My Nanovation : Tata Nano

Thanks Silverado for the "do not start the nano with blower on" info - many nano owners would surely take a note of this.

Honeybee, congrats on the nanovation - lots of people are following this thread closely so pls keep updated on the useage results periodically.

i have a 2010 tata nano cx, and i feel that apart from some cosmetic enhancements, CX is anyday better than LX, due to its less simplicity. am getting 14-16kmpl in city driving (no 4th gear, only 2nd/3rd gears @ 30-45kmph speeds; 4th gear useless below 50kmph) with a/c on always, and 20-21kmpl on highways @ 80kmph cruising speeds. 80-90kmph is the nano capable of handling safely, although cross winds or sudden gusts would make the car step out of lane, so a careful hand at the steering wheel is needed on highway runs.

also have fabricated custom fibreglass speaker pods for the nano front dash. see pics attached - these FB pods can accomodate anything from 5" components till 6x9 ovals. although the space on the front dash is compromised, i find this "nanovation" a better bet than the OE speaker pods tata sells thru its dealers. these pods can be replicated as i have taken a mould of the dash curvature, costs 1800/pair (painted-finished). use egg-crate foam inside the inner walls for superb/tight bass.

thinking of adding a 4ch amp, a 8" sub and another set of components - for enhanced music clarity, as the present system is not great shakes in the sound depth/clarity/imaging aspects. anyone who have added amplifier and sub to the nano, your inputs please.
Attached Thumbnails
My Nanovation : Tata Nano-img0076a.jpg  

My Nanovation : Tata Nano-img0077a.jpg  

My Nanovation : Tata Nano-img0078a.jpg  

My Nanovation : Tata Nano-img0079a.jpg  

My Nanovation : Tata Nano-img0080a.jpg  

Last edited by shekaran : 5th August 2012 at 10:04. Reason: additional info
shekaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 19:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

That looks neat!

Refuelled today: The tankful to tankful method yields about 18kmpl. AC was used for about 30%-40% time and mostly driven with single occupant. The running FE (calculated using the tripmeter and the fuel indicator in the dash) showed more than 20. Fuel was to the neck and not at auto cutoff. Hope to see a boost past 1k. Will check if an oil change to fully synthetic will yield a better FE.

It's shorter than the Santro and parking it though not exactly a breeze, is much easier because it has almost no front/rear overhang and fits into a much smaller space very neatly.

The fuel gauage acts up sometimes. Twice it switched from two bars to E and then back to two bars, or sometimes one. I think the FE observations need to be normalized over a long period of time to know exactly how much it drinks.

The lack of a glovebox initially upset my wife, but then she remarked that since there's no box, there won't be much litter (read: toll receipts stuffed to the brim!), and that's proving to be true.

Another shocker: After the refuelling got the air checked up. Despite having travelled about 40kms before the refuelling, three of the tyres showed only 19psi ! Only the front right tyre was showing a respectable 24psi. All were inflated to 28psi. This is one thing I would again advise new car owners to check. Also this might be the reason for the poorer-than-expected FE.

Gear shifting is an experience. It puts you directly in touch with the car. Take it as good or bad depending on your taste. The steering is super-light when moving and super-heavy when parking, but super-heavy in a Nano isn't much.

The front wheels are without an engine on them, and so it's quite a different feeling when driving the car. The rear-engine rear-wheel-drive setup takes some getting used to. This has been nagging me ever since I started driving and finally I nailed it a couple of days ago. The feel is definitely different with a nagging thought in the back of your mind that the car wants to dance around on the road. Thankfully it doesn't.

No scraping on speedbreakers (and there are quite a few of them on my usual route), no particularly scary potholes (yet). Except on a rainy night the headlights are brilliant and I am not sure I want to upgrade to the Extremes. I wanted to replace the horns when I went to get the seat covers, but the accessories guy told me it's quite a job to replace the horns, so I left it at that. Not sure if I want to go for it either. The existing one is not a hoot, but still manages the job.

I am eyeing a Leh-Ladakh tour next year, providence allowing. Right now it's looking like too much to bite but let's see.

A funny incident: At the petrol pump as I waited in line for the queue at the tyre pressure guy to ease up, an elderly gentleman walked up to me and asked, "Where have you been in your Nano?"
I was surprised to hear this query, but engaged in conversation with the gentleman. It so happens he owns a Nano in the same colour and he reached out to me as a fellow Nano owner, so much as to invite me to his home, giving me detailed instructions on how to reach it, and inviting me for a Nano-drive some day. I am sure I wouldn't invite this type of fellowship even if I owned a BMW.

Fellowship of the Nano!

Last edited by honeybee : 5th August 2012 at 20:05.
Old 7th August 2012, 23:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Update on the FE: the fuel efficiency has climbed up from 13.8 to 16.6 to 19.4 after 744 kms. Of course the AC use has also gone down from 100% in the beginning to about 30% now, but then that's how it will be on my daily runs. SO I am now hoping once the running in is over I can reach some decent FE figures. Would an oil change help?
Old 8th August 2012, 09:10   #34
BHPian

I own a nano cx. I think its the most fuel efficient car ever made. My daily travel involve around 35km in total in city traffic. the mileage it gives me is around 23-24km/l for my daily travel in traffic. On highways it gives me much more, may be around 26-27. For me Nano is a sheild against rising petrol prices. When its traffic, you expect yourself to navigate through gaps, and this is quite easy to do in Nano.
bigautobuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 09:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigautobuff View Post
it gives me is around 23-24km/l for my daily travel in traffic. On highways it gives me much more, may be around 26-27.
This is superb average for city drives, i am sure you dont work in Hinjewadi

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

It's shorter than the Santro and parking it though not exactly a breeze, is much easier because it has almost no front/rear overhang and fits into a much smaller space very neatly.

The fuel gauage acts up sometimes. Twice it switched from two bars to E and then back to two bars, or sometimes one. I think the FE observations need to be normalized over a long period of time to know exactly how much it drinks.

No scraping on speedbreakers

I am eyeing a Leh-Ladakh tour next year, providence allowing. Right now it's looking like too much to bite but let's see.

Fellowship of the Nano!
Reversing is difficult in Nano compared to other hatches since window line at rear in very high.

Fuel gauge does act funny at times, but not much only occasionally.

Bet you with 180mm of GC, you can do some light off roading as well in Nano.

Leh Ladakh in Nano? Are you serious ? If yes i would like to join you.

Nice to know about Nano fellowship

Quote:

I had seen a couple of Nanos on the e-Way in a couple of my recent trips (before we bought the Nano), so they can cruise at good speeds.

If I had fitted a music system, I am sure its LEDs would reflect in the glass

I usually don't do that as a matter of practice, but I shall keep this advice in mind. Thanks!
Nano can easily cruise along at 90+ speeds on e-way and you will on many occasions hit the limit unknowingly.

Music system would fit in a recess in dash so i dont think it will reflect, ask Shankaran.

Even i never started my nano with blower on, but it happened accidentally.Seems the like fuse which was supposed to protect the blower went out but still ended conking my blower

Last edited by silverado : 11th August 2012 at 09:06.
Old 11th August 2012, 17:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Reversing is difficult in Nano compared to other hatches since window line at rear in very high.
I actually find it easy because through the wing mirrors I can see most of the things behind such as bikes and cars parked. The bumper line gives an exact idea of where your (car's) rear is.

Quote:
Leh Ladakh in Nano? Are you serious ? If yes i would like to join you.
Of course I am serious. I sounded it out with HVK and he had just one word of caution: The lack of space. I somewhat agree because if I do have to travel to Leh-Ladakh, I shall have to fold up the rear seat and use up all the available space to store my luggage (or else invest in a rack but it will be exposed to the elements which may not be good). The occupancy in this case would be limited to two, which means both have to be drivers only.

However I am trying to put together a group so that there are at least two to three vehicles with two drivers per vehicle, and not drive solo. And if you wish to join, you are most welcome

Quote:
Nano can easily cruise along at 90+ speeds on e-way and you will on many occasions hit the limit unknowingly.
I am worried about crosswinds, specially with windows open. I had an anxious moment at around 70kmph today on a slightly windy straight as I tried to avoid an oncoming Scorpio. Not realizing the wind factor I didn't take the necessary precautions and the car swerved wildly for a moment before I got a grip on it.

I haven't yet taken it out on the e-way, so once I complete a Pune trip I shall know better how it fares against the winds (which are especially vicious during monsoons).
Old 12th August 2012, 20:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually find it easy because through the wing mirrors I can see most of the things behind

Of course I am serious. I sounded it out with HVK and he had just one word of caution: The lack of space. The occupancy in this case would be limited to two, which means both have to be drivers only.

However I am trying to put together a group so that there are at least two to three vehicles with two drivers per vehicle, and not drive solo. And if you wish to join, you are most welcome

I am worried about crosswinds, specially with windows open.
Wing mirrors , i think i should fit them at earliest
But i cant park it that way , since i was driving a padmini earlier i am used to old school looking back parking method.

I have been till Leh in 2004 but that was in a rented Sumo.
That was when i had decided i will come back on my bike/car next time.

There is no doubt looking at the engine capacity that only 2 people should be present on board, so no concerns of luggage, only concern would be carrying extra fuel.

The best part about Nano in Leh-Ladakh would be its GC

It would really be nice to have a group of vehicles, possible a SUV in the group so that it tow any vehicle if needed.

It would involve carrying atleast 2 spare tyres, which would be 4 in Nano's case due to different tyre sizes.

Honeybee, i would surely like to join this group with my car , hope things pan out as i am dreaming about it when the time comes to go.

In fact we can think of approaching TATA Motors for this as well, i can give it a try as i know someone working for TATA motors Sister concern company.

You will be affected by crosswinds only if the car has 1 or 2 passengers.
I normally drive on highway with 3-4 people on board, when that is the case there are no concerns of crosswinds, but yes Nano does get affected slightly more that other tall boys.

Do PM me know when you are coming to pune, we shall surely meet.

Last edited by silverado : 12th August 2012 at 20:50.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nano already has a spare front tyre. Adding a rear tyre sjould be enough.
Old 18th August 2012, 22:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Done the sixth refuelling. Auto cut off at 13.25 and could fill her up till 13.61. The FE has reduced a bit to 19.x

The first servicing is due and should happen either tomorrow or next week. Have got some water dripping issue on the front passenger side, most likely from AC.
Old 20th September 2012, 00:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Now completed almost 2.5k, other than the water seepage, no other issues so far. All electricals (including power windows) working fine. The headlights are amazingly bright, even brighter than my Santro which had relays and upgraded bulbs.

The FE returned is 19+ consistently so far. This includes around 20-25% AC sometimes, but by and large I am wondering if the AC has any impact on the average.

Gear shift is still notchy but nothing to worry about. The first gear is a little erratic. When accelerating from standstill it provides enough torque to reach speeds of even 30kmph without losing its breath, however while in motion sometimes downshifting to first when tackling speedbreakers causes a small jerk or two. I don't think it's a defect, however there seems to be some spot in the torque curve where the first gear doesn't pick up the slack that well.

Tried a few inclines, though never from standstill, and the Nano usually climbs in the second/third gear well.

Received the Rs. 100/- coupon for purchasing glove boxes today. The pair costs Rs. 2100 while a single box is Rs. 1400. They do look neat, however only the driver side box is lockable. The salesperson too called up a couple of days ago to inform me the availability of the same and also to check if I had received the coupon.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th September 2012 at 00:27.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Update: Completed ~3.5k, the FE is hovering at 19-20kmpl figures.

No issues so far, the water leakage mysteriously disappeared, and now the rains are gone, this problem wouldn't occur again, so it's not a pressing issue.

The second gear in this car can easily take me to 40kmph +, something I seldom attempted in the Santro and something the Nano shares with the Ikon. The engine seems to be revv-happy, and keeping it on the boil will ensure you keep the larger vehicles at bay.
Old 14th October 2012, 22:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Got my first experience of servicing the Nano. The rear passenger window was found broken on Friday night. Cause yet unknown, but no evidence of foul play. Visited Krishna Motors in the morning of Saturday, but the glass was not in stock and would take a week for ordering and fitting. Visited Balaji Motors near Kongaon after Kalyan toll plaza and the guy assured to check his stock and let me know.

Sure enough within an hour he called me and confirmed the glass was available and fitting could be done in a few minutes' time.

So I drove to the workshop today morning. Spent the whole day there. The glass was duly changed and I then asked for the engine oil change. A big mistake.

The work was first delayed due to the workshop procedures, then due to lunch hour, then due to body wash and then due to a missing doormat.

The final bill came to be Rs. 2400 including taxes. Shocking part is the labour charges seem to be equal to the materials. Oil and filter were charged around Rs. 700 while labour was Rs. 675/- odd.

I got the usual bs about standard checks and procedures, washing being complimentary and so on. Am going to take this up with Tata Motors when the follow up call comes in, and am now seriously thinking if I should actually switch to my independent mechanic for these jobs.
Old 14th October 2012, 23:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good to see this thread being active here. Went through few posts and I dont agree with the CX advantage. I had checked both but could not find any reason not to opt for the LX version. Power window is a blessing for me, as I drive around mostly all alone. Rolling up/down the windows manually would have been a pain as every starting from a parking area in the heat needs fresh air intake through open windows for the AC to be more effective and rolling it up after a while on the move. I also love the single color for the the entire body than having the bumpers in black.

Reflection of the dash is something I never noticed, probably I did not know the CX and LX dash boards are of different shades I also had no issue with reverse parking, infact its the easiest to reverse than any other hatches according to me. Fitting it into a tight spot in reverse mode was never easy in my previous sedan with reverse sensor.

Owning a Nano for around 1.6 yrs but having the ODO only around 5000 kms, my running is limited. Overall mileage average is always 15/17 with full time AC on. All my previous cars had cigar lighter sockets and I started missing it in the Nano recently, as I started using navigation & speaker phone while driving. It was negative with both dealers I checked here, they even claimed Nano has no cigar lighter point as accessory. Anyway, I am getting it fitted by my electrician for Rs.150 this week. I already have various types of car chargers from the previous vehicles, so my only requirement would be fixing the socket.

So far, its been a pleasant experience for me owning a Nano. Services were always done with pick up & drop facility (free). Not a single accessory is fitted (even sun films) till date. My only addition in the entire ownership will be the cigar lighter socket for charging the mobile. Usually I sell my car while upgrading, but this time Nano is going to stay with us for a long time, although I am comparing compact SUV segment for personal use.

Last edited by shajufx : 14th October 2012 at 23:27.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Thanks Silverado for the "do not start the nano with blower on" info - many nano owners would surely take a note of this.

Honeybee, congrats on the nanovation - lots of people are following this thread closely so pls keep updated on the useage results periodically.

i have a 2010 tata nano cx, and i feel that apart from some cosmetic enhancements, CX is anyday better than LX, due to its less simplicity. am getting 14-16kmpl in city driving (no 4th gear, only 2nd/3rd gears @ 30-45kmph speeds; 4th gear useless below 50kmph) with a/c on always, and 20-21kmpl on highways @ 80kmph cruising speeds. 80-90kmph is the nano capable of handling safely, although cross winds or sudden gusts would make the car step out of lane, so a careful hand at the steering wheel is needed on highway runs.

also have fabricated custom fibreglass speaker pods for the nano front dash. see pics attached - these FB pods can accomodate anything from 5" components till 6x9 ovals. although the space on the front dash is compromised, i find this "nanovation" a better bet than the OE speaker pods tata sells thru its dealers. these pods can be replicated as i have taken a mould of the dash curvature, costs 1800/pair (painted-finished). use egg-crate foam inside the inner walls for superb/tight bass.

thinking of adding a 4ch amp, a 8" sub and another set of components - for enhanced music clarity, as the present system is not great shakes in the sound depth/clarity/imaging aspects. anyone who have added amplifier and sub to the nano, your inputs please.
Thats a very good speaker fitment job. I am sure sound would be very good. Even i have a nano and have opted for Rockford fosgate 6x9 ovals for the rear. The speakers have been fitted on to the MDF board which is inturn fitted to the existing parcel tray. The parcel tray has been modified a bit and the sound quality is amazing.

Rest its good to see so many nano owners here
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Good to see this thread being active here. Went through few posts and I dont agree with the CX advantage. I had checked both but could not find any reason not to opt for the LX version. Power window is a blessing for me, as I drive around mostly all alone. Rolling up/down the windows manually would have been a pain as every starting from a parking area in the heat needs fresh air intake through open windows for the AC to be more effective and rolling it up after a while on the move. I also love the single color for the the entire body than having the bumpers in black.

Reflection of the dash is something I never noticed, probably I did not know the CX and LX dash boards are of different shades I also had no issue with reverse parking, infact its the easiest to reverse than any other hatches according to me. Fitting it into a tight spot in reverse mode was never easy in my previous sedan with reverse sensor.

Owning a Nano for around 1.6 yrs but having the ODO only around 5000 kms, my running is limited. Overall mileage average is always 15/17 with full time AC on. All my previous cars had cigar lighter sockets and I started missing it in the Nano recently, as I started using navigation & speaker phone while driving. It was negative with both dealers I checked here, they even claimed Nano has no cigar lighter point as accessory. Anyway, I am getting it fitted by my electrician for Rs.150 this week. I already have various types of car chargers from the previous vehicles, so my only requirement would be fixing the socket.

So far, its been a pleasant experience for me owning a Nano. Services were always done with pick up & drop facility (free). Not a single accessory is fitted (even sun films) till date. My only addition in the entire ownership will be the cigar lighter socket for charging the mobile. Usually I sell my car while upgrading, but this time Nano is going to stay with us for a long time, although I am comparing compact SUV segment for personal use.
One more nano owner here . I am in love with this vehicle. Its perfect for city use and especially in delhi. It just squeezes through the gap. I have covered 3700 kms till date and have'nt encountered any issue at all.

Here's one pic of my nano
Attached Thumbnails
My Nanovation : Tata Nano-n.jpg  

aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

That looks amazing, shiny and gleaming!

Update: After the oil change the car seems to sound better, for now. I am planning to take her out on a long tour this week end. If that happens, I shall be able to test the long distance comfort, the highway FE and the ghat-climbing potential of the li'l car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks