Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2015, 20:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Nanovation : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Before monsoons I shall be choosing between the Ceat and MRFs.
I just installed Bridgestone Tubeless Tyres on my 27K run Nano and they are excellent.
Rear tyre : Rs.2500
Front tyre : Rs.2050
With Nitrogen filled, Bridgestone tyres are very good, especially for the front tyre gving stability to Nano at high speeds.
Old 7th May 2015, 07:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

If Bridgestone doesn't have the right size tyres for the front, you are most likely running on wider tyres which should be better for grip.
Old 7th May 2015, 10:35   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If Bridgestone doesn't have the right size tyres for the front, you are most likely running on wider tyres which should be better for grip.
What I know about the different specs of F & R tires on Nano is that it is not just a cost cutting measure. Nano being a light weight and a rear mounted engine car, & with a RWD system, has a tendency to over-steer. Wider tires at the back in comparison to the front ones arrest this problem to an extent.

So, in my opinion, the tire specs should not be changed.

Regards,
Saket
Old 7th May 2015, 16:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

That's probably true because when my rear tyres had lost their tread I did experience the rear sliding out a bit. But to each his own. If you drive sedately all the time you might want to have a bigger contact patch.
Old 29th August 2015, 11:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

So there was a problem with the radiator fan not working a month ago. I was driving along the Mumbra bypass and suddenly the engine lost power and the "key" symbol on the dashboard lit up. I coasted to a halt, switched off the engine, let it cool for a few minutes and started again. In a couple of minutes the problem resurfaced.

All the way till office without AC and gently coasting, I had to stop for about four times, the last being just a few metres outside the office. Finally reached office and called Tata helpline. They dispatched a mechanic who confirmed there was something wrong with the fan, and he in turn dispatched a tow truck.

The tow truck took the car to Fortune which diagnosed and fixed the problem. The car was returned in a couple of days (since it was taken there on a Thursday evening) and the problem had been solved.

I realized the next day that the rear seatbelts had been taken off their clips and lying on the seat - feedback duly forwarded to Tata Motors.

So that's that. Completed 54000 kms last week and am still getting around 19kmpl with 50% AC.

Last night, while waiting in traffic at Shil Phata, a white Safari decided to play bully and jumped into the small space between my Nano and the car in front. It almost rammed my car. I was pissed, but there was little I could do. So I drove off the road onto the shoulder on the left and showed him the finger, and then took off from that point on the home run. The small and nimble Tata put to shame the larger beast. I wish I could see his face as he saw me disappear into the night.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 16:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the seat covers: .
Honeybee,

1. Great thread. Since Nano being one of the main reasons for me to join this forum, I was actually looking for this kind of thread. And to my delight I have faced same ownership experiences which have been posted here. Right from the fellowship experiences about people asking me at petrol pumps to changing seat covers to maintaining fuel logs and getting similar results to travelling on similar paths. Recently I went to Bhandardara for a picnic and took Google map for help and to my horror I was taken through a broken road with full of stones and potholes of 15 kms stretch and when I came back my heart was broken after travelling through such a bad road. I went to service center and got suspensions checked thoroughly. Good to know that my Nano managed to pass this road test! The only thing I wish that Clutch damage shouldn't be much as I am already having hard clutch issue.

2. Now coming back to the quote about seat covers. I am looking for the best Seat Covers. I have been looking for them both online and offline. Went to few shops and couldn't get something good. I am being advised by them to get them stitched and they gave me options for kind of material. Would like to seek advise from you.
Old 8th September 2015, 00:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Seat covers I got from the local accessories shop. So far they have fared well and they cost me less than what the dealer was quoting.

Regarding suspension, after trips to Bhandardara, interiors of Maharashtra and daily grind on potholes and speed breakers, the suspension is still firm and strong. I actually leave other cars and bigger vehicles to bite dust on bad roads. So I am just amazed at the Nano!
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 00:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

So the other day my cousin who has bought a preowned Nano called me up and said his Nano's fuel tank has developed a leak and he is out of petrol, by the roadside, a few minutes from home and at an incline which makes pushing the car impossible. I decided to take my Nano to tow him out and started.

En route I stopped to buy a thick nylon rope, 10 metres long. As I resumed my journey I got a call from my cousin. He got his brother to tow the Nano with a motorcycle. Now, isn't that amazing?
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 01:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Had a chance to drive to Lavasa over the weekend. It was a short trip and was pretty disappointing compared to the hype surrounding Lavasa and its roads. Agreed, the curves are sharp but they are nothing new, and with the over enthusiastic drivers it just becomes a tad riskier.
Also within Lavasa couldn't find anything worth visiting except the lake, and at noon the hotels simply couldn't keep up with the huge influx of visitors, leading to a long wait for grub.
Old 12th December 2015, 21:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

The Nano went in for the 60k kms service today evening. With every oil being changed, the brake liners probably needing replacement, clutch gone kaput and engine cranking issues when hot, the estimate is a little less than 10k. Let us see how much it actually comes to.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 20:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

The clutch and the battery were replaced and with other tasks, the bill came to just under 12k.

The new clutch required some setting with the pedal play and initially the gears didn't slot in easy and nice. All sorted out now and the car is back to its original glory, quick and agile.

With just a few hundred kms left to reach 60k when the warranty gets over, I shall now see how the ownership is.

The service centre experience has been good as always, no unnecessary work performed and time and cost estimates very accurate. The only hitch is their credit card payment machine was not working and I had to make a cash payment.

Next up on the cards is front tyre replacement. The front tyres are now almost 60k, original and showing the age and wear. But the car still holds its lines on the steep curves, so I shall wait till the summer to replace them. The rear tyres, replaced at 40k, are now showing inside wear, meaning the suspension setup needs to be checked. Riding with one or two people in the front is not an issue, but with a full load, I think the rear is not holding up well.
Old 9th February 2016, 09:51   #87
BHPian

Dear Friends,
Its been exactly one year and 7000 Kms since I last serviced my Nano LX 2011 at nearby un authorised garage, which covered changing Oil, Brake servicing, Coolant Change etc. The Odometer is nearing 38 K.

According to the manual the car is due for servicing. Also I have noticed there is a small drop in mileage too. I used to get around 21-23 Kmpl without AC, now its giving 19 kmpl without AC in the last two mileage checks.

But the car is running perfectly fine without any issue so far. So I am not getting a feeling to get it serviced as its yet to cross 10 K difference mark before I plan for its servicing. I want to wait for 10 K difference which will happen in next 4 months. The only concern is drop in mileage @2 kmpl which is a small difference and may be ignored for the time being. Otherwise everything is perfect as usual. The spark plugs were replaced with new one recently.

Whats your suggestion?
Old 9th February 2016, 23:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to get the car checked at a good authorized service centre. I used to get around 19kmpl before the clutch was replaced. With the new clutch I am clocking 22kmpl (last three refills).

For my car, the clutch had started slipping in the last thousand kms or so, but the increased FE and the fact that the clutch would start slipping as an indication that it has gone kaput means the clutch had already gone bad. The clutch pedal had become harder to press and release, and the pickup was suffering too. If you are not driving the car regularly (as your milage indicates) you may miss those signs.
Old 18th February 2016, 13:46   #89
BHPian

As earlier mentioned in few posts I do have problem with my clutch. I was just not rectifying it as the mileage was pretty good and I the gears were shifting without any problems.

Though I have sought three opinions regarding clutch issue and I was advised by all the garages to get it over hauled. But I am too scared to go closer to engine for any kind of work with the fear of opening "Can of worms".

Now coming to the current situation. I did mileage check again and this time I was bit surprised to get maximum mileage of 24 kmpl. Jump from 19 kmpl in last two checks. So the pointer of is going towards the quality of fuel now. As the fuel station is same. Or is that related to change in season! Don't know but would like to wait and watch. This hard clutch is really giving me pain after a short drive too. Also I never found anything in the manual about clutch wear.
Old 18th February 2016, 23:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

Get the cable replaced. That's a cheap solution.

Most Viewed