Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 00:04   #1
BHPian

BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive

Got delivery of my new 320d last week. Awaiting permanent registration.
I was and am a huge BMW fan and when the idea of a premium brand purchase cropped up there was no debate.

This is my first detailed post on the forum and might be a bit sketchy. This is purely my view on the likes and dislikes of the car. Kindly feel free to express your opinions regarding any point.

Pros:
1. It's a BMW
2. Handles like a gem
3. Amazing engine
4. Decently specced
5. Well built car

Cons:
1. Not for the chauffeur driven
2. Dislike for bad roads (suspension thumps it's way to glory)
3. Lazy downshift
4. Competition is better equipped (why no front parking sensors)
5. No spare wheel

Competition:

I like BMWs but also looked at the competition

C Class:
- Not a huge fan of the C Class looks (many might differ)
- Not a great handler when compared to the BMW
+ But if one is chauffeur driven - a serious contender
+ great cruiser
- Lousy dealer experience

A4:
- 140 bhp engine?!
- Very light steering, but good for city drives but inert
- high speed poise could leave you wanting for something better
+ Quality interiors, should I venture to say VFM
+ those LEDs are to die for and the car in S line trim is a looker
+ the cabin is a nice place to be
+ best dealer experience I have ever experienced ( kudos to Audi Coimbatore)

I would have bought the Audi if not for the steering and disconnected driving experience.

BMW test drive and booking:

The dealer experience was luke warm. I thought people would fall over themselves trying to sell you a model soon to be phased out, but it was the opposite. No test drive car, you book we will see what colour is available (come on BMW you can do better than that). Excuse was that the demo car had been sold as the model was soon to be phased out.

So left the place telling them am not paying a penny without a test drive. Magically the test drive car seemed to have reappeared in a couple of days. Went for the TD. Alpine white dynamic edition for TD. One drive and you want to buy the car, I guess some cars do that to people.

All forgotten I went back and asked for the choice of available colours, specs, discounts. No black in exclusive, so had to settle for white - my second choice. Happy they had one with saddle brown interiors. Booked the car (320d Exclusive ALPINE WHITE with saddle brown interiors). Apparently these days the car comes with free navigation - its seems to get better.

Was told car would be ready 2 days from the date of full payment. Wanted to see the car, so had someone in chennai check the car in chennai showroom - satisfactory!

Dealer offers to get the car to Coimbatore. I decline and take delivery in chennai, else some factory driver is going to drive my new car

Money matters:
40 odd On road
Discount of 4L OTR
Free BMW rubber floor mats and mud flaps
M sport black kidney grille free

Delivery:
Got the car in good condition at chennai KUN exclusive on a Sunday. A full tank of diesel with the navigation set to Coimbatore was a nice touch. The SE there had no clue whether temp Redg was done and if so when (he was just doing his job of handing over the car as instructed).

Quick Pooja, demo, handing over of paper work, chocolates, spare key and BMW secure and we are all set to go. No hassle. I find no black grille and I am like WTH? Am promised that the dealer in Coimbatore will get it fixed during the Redg. Day.

64 km on the odo (wonder where they drove it). Started to Coimbatore with a full tank of diesel and a light heart. JOY is a BMW. So true, wonder who said that? 6 hours later I reach my destination fresh and thrilled. WOW! That is the only thing that comes to my mind. That engine is simply AMAZING! One has to drive it to appreciate it.

Got the desired number from the RTO and car was duly registered and taken to the service centre for the change of the grilles. also wanted the carbon fibre mirror covers and the front splitters: not available and so that would have to wait.

as of posting this i have driven the car for about 1000 km, 500 was done on the way from chennai.

Initial impressions:

Unlock the car and the lovely white lights on each door handle and the amber corona rings are cool.

Once inside it is very easy to get a comfortable driving position and the memory option for the seats and mirrors are a boon. The steering adjusts for reach and rake and is a joy to hold. the horn button needs a little bit of effort but the other steering mounted controls are handy and work quite well, though the quality of the steering mounted button could be better!

Interiors are typical BMW and are no nonsense and get the job done. The layout and design have been extensively discussed on the forum, so i will spare you the details.

The sun roof works well and my son seems to love it. The audio system is a decent one, i would rate it as 6/10. The symphony or concert system on the A4 is a better unit.

Rear leg room is at a premium and rear passengers behind a 6 footer are not going to be a happy lot. It is stictly a four seater thanks to the tall hump on the floor.

The navigation was a surprise, but what is even better is that it actually works well! The rest of the idrive functions are rather easy to use and soon lose their novelty in a couple of days. The idrive is very intuitive to use and pairing a phone is a breeze. The call quality and reception are very good and the voice controls on the idrive actually seem to understand us as long as one is loud.

The car comes equipped with bixenon headlamps which are good. i still am yet to figure out how to operate the headlamp washers. The controls are as for LHD car and the quality of the levers are very good.

Push the start button and the diesel clatter is very obvious. Move the gear lever to D and the car takes off smoothly and the gear changes are almost imperceptible unless one is accelerating very hard. If in a hurry the downshifts can appear lazy, but once it downshifts its all "pushed back to your seat" effect. Rev the car and the diesel noise becomes more obvious and it is a fairly gruff note.

Reality: the car is stiffly sprung. This is a great boon on smooth roads at triple digit speeds, but over a slow B road, it can get on your nerves thaat small bit and your rear passengers will not be a very happy lot.

All said, give it a set of corners and it willl be difficult the wipe the silly grin on your face for a long time. The steering is a tad heavy at parking speeds, but is beautiful once speeds pick up.

The brakes have a good bite, but need to drive the car more to comment on them.

Fuel efficiency so far has been decent with an average of about 14kmpl. I have not driven the car more than 3k rpm. The absence of a spare is not very reassuring and i am planning to get a space saver with a jack.

So far as initial impressions are concerned it is very reassuring. And of course the perennial question from family and friends: why did you not wait for the new 3? I do not have a convincing answer yet, but I guess the current car seems to fulfill all my needs, puts a silly grin on my face and i kinda liked the look of the E90 better than the new 3. The new 3 looks a bit like the 5er.

Mods planned: (I have already changed the kidney grilles to all black)
only cosmetic as of now.
1. carbon fibre mirror covers
2. carbon fibre front splitters
3. white angle eyes
4. looking for m tech rear bumper

A few questions for the people in the know.
1. How essential is a the BSI (I was thinking of 5yr/60000k)
2. any idea where i can get white angel eyes?

i will update this thread as and when the updates come on. feel free to opine.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive-1.jpg  

BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive-2.jpg  

BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive-3.jpg  

BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive-4.jpg  

BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive-6.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by differential : 1st August 2012 at 17:08.
differential is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 00:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your purchase. This is a great choice you have made (with that huge 4L discount). And a superbly written intro about the beauty. Some great quality pics would serve as the icing on the cake.
Take care and Drive Safe.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:34   #3
BHPian

re: BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive

Hearty congratulations.
You really got the car which gives "love to drive" feeling.
We would really appreciate some pics as soon as you get time for it.
Navigation is really good feature BMW has added. It really gives "more features" feeling.
happy safe driving
Old 1st August 2012, 18:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive

Thread moved out of Assembly Line into Initial Ownership section.

I think the 320D Exclusive is just about the perfect car and the exiting model is quite a looker as well (will reserve judgement on the new 3 till I see it in person). Congratulations on your buy and do upload some high-resolution, good-quality pics to do justice to your excellent descriptions.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Can anybody suggest an online site where I can source front splitters? I kind of like the Alpina chin spoiler no. 419. It is available thru schiemeidmans, any idea about their repute? Thanks in advance
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats !! To answer some of you questions- The BSI is extremely useful and worth every penny, do get it if you have a decent amount of running depending on how much exactly you can choose the right plan. Also the headlamp washers work automatically when the headlights are on.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on buying the Driver's delight.

Quote:
The new 3 looks a bit like the 5er
- Should worry 5 series owners !
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Congratulations my friend!! Its just a dream to drive one of these sometime. Hopefully in this lifetime

Its a little sad that the diesel clatter is so loud! But its ok, i assume the driving pleasure must overpower that. FE of 14kmpl is pretty good!

Congrats once again. And wish you have many happy mile in it!

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:46   #9
BHPian

Congratulations differential...you now are different (no pun intended). Very well written & crisp review. But pictures don't do justice. Get us some interior shots as well.

Hope you have a trouble free ownership and do get the BSI, its worth the money.
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Welcome another 320d exclusive owner! Great car I tell you.

Please do buy the BSI. It covers not only servicing but also brake pads and discs which can get expensive. If your running is going to be more than 1200-1500 km a month, go for the 5y100,000 km package. The 3 lacs spent will be worth it.

Wish you safe driving!
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your purchase. This is a great choice you have made (with that huge 4L discount). And a superbly written intro about the beauty. Some great quality pics would serve as the icing on the cake.
Take care and Drive Safe.
thanks. I will try to do something about the pics. Not too good with the camera i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Congrats !! To answer some of you questions- The BSI is extremely useful and worth every penny, do get it if you have a decent amount of running depending on how much exactly you can choose the right plan. Also the headlamp washers work automatically when the headlights are on.
I will be sure to try out the headlamp washers the next time. Just that none of my previous cars had it and am just a wee bit exited about the new toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Congratulations my friend!! Its just a dream to drive one of these sometime. Hopefully in this lifetime

Its a little sad that the diesel clatter is so loud! But its ok, i assume the driving pleasure must overpower that. FE of 14kmpl is pretty good!

Congrats once again. And wish you have many happy mile in it!

Cheers
It really is my dream come true. I guess I would have thought twice before jumping in and buying if not for the sizable discounts and all. I could have gone for the CE, but one dosen't buy a BMW often; so thought would splash out on the top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
Welcome another 320d exclusive owner! Great car I tell you.

Please do buy the BSI. It covers not only servicing but also brake pads and discs which can get expensive. If your running is going to be more than 1200-1500 km a month, go for the 5y100,000 km package. The 3 lacs spent will be worth it.

Wish you safe driving!
I have enquired about the BSI. Am being quoted 2.5L for 5yr/60000km, no discounts; not much choice I guess.
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:26   #12
BHPian

Man! What a beauty! Looks just too perfect for the Indian roads! A professional photograph session will be just too good to imagine!

Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2012, 22:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have enquired about the BSI. Am being quoted 2.5L for 5yr/60000km, no discounts; not much choice I guess.
Better you buy 3 Year -60,000 at this moment , once you are close to exhausting any of these limit you can pay difference and change to higher mileage / time as required , who knows you upgrade with something bigger in Year's time!

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2012 at 22:55.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:47   #14
BHPian

congratulations on a good buy. You've just been Bangled!

It's a looker and will remain that way. Navigation surely gives that extra feel for your buck.

More detailed shots are most welcome. Enjoy your ride.

pEaCe
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. This 320d club seems to have exploded of late. More than happy to see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
1. How essential is a the BSI (I was thinking of 5yr/60000k)
Let me put it this way. Spent close to 3 lacs on the 5y/100k BSI Ultimate. In a little over two years of ownership, the servicing, labour, parts and non-routine replacements have added up to nearabout 2 lacs. And I have almost three full years of coverage ahead. I would vouch for it. Of course, some silly and unexpected things have gone wrong in my car (you may look up the thread for more info) but that's what peace of mind is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
They should have tossed it in free for you by now, given that the E90 is history now. This is wayyyyyyyyyy too late into the lifecycle for them not to toss everything they have into the deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks