Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 09:44   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth.vemuri View Post
Then again, the top of the line Jetta is overpriced, no doubt, as even the most ardent of the VW fans might agree. But the Jetta Trendline @ 15.5 ex-showroom comes with no mean list of equipment, and for buyers looking at making the jump from the ANHV segment, a well sorted out solid Trendline might appeal more to many, over a fully kitted and cheaper , but certainly less capable Elantra.
The manual Diesel Elantra would be hard pressed to maintain a 5 lakh gap against the reasonably priced Trendline. Unless the base Elantra diesel version comes in @ close to13 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, it's gonna have a big bruising fight with VW and the other 2.0s to contend with!
So you are comparing an manual transmission car with A/T? People who want an A/T are not going to buy a M/T car.
Speaking of Base diesel, if A/T top end costs 15L the base diesel will be below 12L or even lower. Remember, at 15L for A/T its 30% more than Verna A/T. So you check out the base diesel verna price, and add 30%
Old 7th August 2012, 10:33   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you are comparing an manual transmission car with A/T? People who want an A/T are not going to buy a M/T car.
Speaking of Base diesel, if A/T top end costs 15L the base diesel will be below 12L or even lower. Remember, at 15L for A/T its 30% more than Verna A/T. So you check out the base diesel verna price, and add 30%
Sometimes people do switch between choices of manual and auto, I was about to book the CL jetta M/T because i couldn't afford the A/T, if hyundai can give me an A/T for a price cheaper than the CL jetta M/T. I am gonna forgo the small motor with hope of getting more km/l.

I don't need an auto , my commute is 80% national highways, but its a nice convinence to have.
Old 7th August 2012, 10:44   #138
BHPian

Quote:
...as seen here. Headlamp height adjustment moves only the low beam. High beam position is fixed:
@tsk1979 I have always been facinated by double-barrel headlamps. But I fail to understand the concept of adjustable low-beams ONLY (please note I have never owned a vehicle with this lighting set-up). When the car is packed with 5 and hauling bootfull of luggage won't the high beam overshoot the road and even blind the oncoming traffic? How to overcome this situation?
Old 7th August 2012, 11:10   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Sometimes people do switch between choices of manual and auto, I was about to book the CL jetta M/T because i couldn't afford the A/T, if hyundai can give me an A/T for a price cheaper than the CL jetta M/T. I am gonna forgo the small motor with hope of getting more km/l.

I don't need an auto , my commute is 80% national highways, but its a nice convinence to have.
Actually M/T to A/T switch does happen, but many people buy an M/T because of no A/T in their budget. If a lower price A/T with comfortable seating, and loaded with features hits the market, there are going to be many takers
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaildurrani View Post
@tsk1979 I have always been facinated by double-barrel headlamps. But I fail to understand the concept of adjustable low-beams ONLY (please note I have never owned a vehicle with this lighting set-up). When the car is packed with 5 and hauling bootfull of luggage won't the high beam overshoot the road and even blind the oncoming traffic? How to overcome this situation?
Yes, this is an issue. Fully loaded you will hit the sky. I think CMVR may note require high beam level adjustment. I am not sure. How is it in other double barrel headlamped cars? I found it odd that only low beam is adjusted.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:52   #140
BHPian

I was just going through the dealer pdf and found that the glove box comes with a lamp and in the picture where they have shown printed antenna the third center rear head rest is visible.and where they have shown the super high vision cluster the distance to empty pictogram can be made out. Maybe Hyundai has already corrected the shortcomings.
Old 7th August 2012, 16:27   #141
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic review and superb photography Tanvir. Opening shot is a killer!

I've a nasty feeling that these new fluidic designs are not going to last for long. It's really tough to continue with an identity if one doesn't have anything strong to hold on.
European brands (mostly) maintain this pretty well. Yes, even within that there can be disaster. One prime example could be Chris Bangled BMW design. This is purely my opinion guys.

That said, this current one is surely a good looker. Good to know that they've sorted out that boat like handling too.
Old 7th August 2012, 22:58   #142
BHPian

Quote:
For regular commuting within a city, most buyers in this class might employ chauffeurs. The owners would likely limit their self-driven jaunts to weekend trips outside the city, and in such a scenario, they wouldn't really care much for the convenience of an auto, at least not enough to stretch their budgets to such higher levels. At 15 lakhs (if), I don't doubt that an Elantra (AT) would be better value. But is it the Automatic segment where the real fight is going to be? More crucial should be the battle between the base manuals, with the Jetta packing decent equipment (6 airbags), and the best quality even at this level. The Elantra, unless priced at a killer pricing (under 12 lakhs), will find it tough to justify providing a smaller engine and a Hyundai badge. Somehow, going by their recent pricing history, I find it hard to believe that Hyundai would be able to undercut its rivals by that big a margin. It needs to get its localization program for the diesel engines done with to drive down the costs enough and do that. But yeah, a price of under 12 lakhs plus high equipment levels on even the base model might just tilt the balance in the Elantra's favour. But hard to see them doing that for the diesel!

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th August 2012 at 20:36. Reason: only 2 smiley's per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully before proceeding, thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 03:01   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful pics! What a stunning night shot! The design language is so that, from any angle the car actually looks like the photograph is skewed for length!! I checked with all the pics and it looks like that!

And a nice review too. One of the few reviews where I feel the photography took the focus away from the content.

OT:: Could you tell me what's the camera + lens [if any] used?
Old 8th August 2012, 11:20   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fantastic review and superb photography Tanvir. Opening shot is a killer!

I've a nasty feeling that these new fluidic designs are not going to last for long. It's really tough to continue with an identity if one doesn't have anything strong to hold on.
European brands (mostly) maintain this pretty well. Yes, even within that there can be disaster. One prime example could be Chris Bangled BMW design. This is purely my opinion guys.

That said, this current one is surely a good looker. Good to know that they've sorted out that boat like handling too.
Thanks Rudra. Coming from you, these comments mean a lot . Yes, the handling is really sorted out when you compare it to the Verna. As for the design, so far its working, but you are right. It does not always work. I found the Sonata a bit "weird" looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth.vemuri View Post
For regular commuting within a city, most buyers in this class might employ chauffeurs. The owners would likely limit their self-driven jaunts to weekend trips outside the city, and in such a scenario, they wouldn't really care much for the convenience of an auto, at least not enough to stretch their budgets to such higher levels. At 15 lakhs (if), I don't doubt that an Elantra (AT) would be better value. But is it the Automatic segment where the real fight is going to be? More crucial should be the battle between the base manuals, with the Jetta packing decent equipment (6 airbags), and the best quality even at this level. The Elantra, unless priced at a killer pricing (under 12 lakhs), will find it tough to justify providing a smaller engine and a Hyundai badge. Somehow, going by their recent pricing history, I find it hard to believe that Hyundai would be able to undercut its rivals by that big a margin. It needs to get its localization program for the diesel engines done with to drive down the costs enough and do that. But yeah, a price of under 12 lakhs plus high equipment levels on even the base model might just tilt the balance in the Elantra's favour. But hard to see them doing that for the diesel!
A/Ts are preferred by people who do self driving in the city. So the weekend fun customer will still look at the Jetta, with its more powerful engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Beautiful pics! What a stunning night shot! The design language is so that, from any angle the car actually looks like the photograph is skewed for length!! I checked with all the pics and it looks like that!

And a nice review too. One of the few reviews where I feel the photography took the focus away from the content.

OT:: Could you tell me what's the camera + lens [if any] used?
Thanks swiftnfurious
I use a D7000 with 16-85 VR
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 12:52   #145
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rudra. Coming from you, these comments mean a lot . Yes, the handling is really sorted out when you compare it to the Verna.
Tanveer - we constantly compare the Elantra's handling with the Verna. But I wonder if thats the right benchmark. I guess the Elantra is supposed to be far more sorted than the Verna anyway. Its more relevant benchmarks would be the Jetta, Laura, Cruze, Corolla, Fluence and Civic.

And here, correct me if Im wrong, but the general view is that other than the Jetta and the Laura, the Elantra seems to have got the others covered.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:59   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Tanveer - we constantly compare the Elantra's handling with the Verna. But I wonder if thats the right benchmark. I guess the Elantra is supposed to be far more sorted than the Verna anyway. Its more relevant benchmarks would be the Jetta, Laura, Cruze, Corolla, Fluence and Civic.

And here, correct me if Im wrong, but the general view is that other than the Jetta and the Laura, the Elantra seems to have got the others covered.
Yes. Its an average handler. The Jetta and Laura are supposed to be excellent handlers, and Elantra is not there yet.
From a real world driving POV, Elantra is good, unlike the Verna which is very bouncy and boat like
Old 8th August 2012, 14:28   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Jetta 6-speed MT, which I recently had my brother pick up. Reasons:

- There is hardly a difference between the Jetta and the C / 3 / A4. It's 90% of the luxury Germans at 60% of the cost.

- Great engine. Superb driveability, stonking performance and respectable fuel efficiency. Nice gearbox too.

- Balanced ride, handling & high speed stability.

- Good on space.

- Absolutely love the clean, elegant clothes.
Would the same stand apply when looking for a D1 AT as well?
Old 9th August 2012, 11:19   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Its an average handler. The Jetta and Laura are supposed to be excellent handlers, and Elantra is not there yet.
From a real world driving POV, Elantra is good, unlike the Verna which is very bouncy and boat like
Waiting to test drive the new Elantra. I would also eagerly await someone like Anshuman to test drive the new Elantra and compare it with the 3rd generation one he used. That would be a good-to-have comparison. I can do that once I get hold of the wheels.

Suspension - an aftermarket one like Bilstein may make life a bit more confident for the enthusiast, but steering - can something be done about it?
Old 9th August 2012, 13:02   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
Suspension - an aftermarket one like Bilstein may make life a bit more confident for the enthusiast, but steering - can something be done about it?
Upgrading to 17 inch wheels with wide tyres can help increase the weightiness of the steering. Plus, go for the diesel as it has a heavier engine at the front - diesel cars' steering usually feels better than the petrol counterparts.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:29   #150
BHPian

Tsk1979,

Excellent review. Photos too were fantastic. I too have a Nikon D7000. But no 16-85 but 18-105, 11-16 and prime 35.

Could you please compare Elantra diesel to Fluence 110Ps diesel?

Your opinion will be valuable as Elantra not available for test drive yet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks