Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 04:18   #376
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

So ya, I finally took a TD of SX AT Petrol and SX MT CRDI... I loved the Crdi more! Here, my tiny Hands-On:

1. The negatives about driving not being fun, are little over rated... I found it quite comfortable and for me that's fun
2. The turbo lag is not at all that annoying. I strongly feel it is quite powerful and didn't even have a single issue pushing it for a quick takeover. I'm comparing it to my experience with Laura on highways.
3. The car is superbly quiet inside and outside.
4. The wheel, though there is almost no feedback, but man, what a wheel. It feels so chunky and makes you feel more confident about it at high speeds. I could sit there and drive with one arm, left arm, resting on the arm rest, at speeds above 100... Now that's FUN driving!
5. The Ventilated seats! Oh man, that is a neat add-on. I finally feel confident about heading to a party, right after a hot summer drive with a fully dry shirt!
6. ICE is simple, nothing over the top... For me I listen to music at acceptable volume, to make my driving more comforting, so I guess it does the job. If need be, Ill just add an amp and woofer to it, though I strongly doubt I'll ever get that!
7. Seats are superbly comfortable, specially the under thigh support! Way better than Laura for sure.
8. AC is quiet and cool, just perfect!
9. I intentionally drove it on a broken road, didn't even feel a thing! That's a good thing!
10. To finish this tiny hands-on, I felt the car was big enough inside and outside. And I instinctively adapted to its measurements, and could cut tight corners very easily. I feel that's an important point when upgrading from a hatchback to a D class.

Let me know your take on my take too!

But one serious question, when Verna can have an MID, with real time fuel efficiency, why cant Elantra do the same?

Tell me forum pros, is there a possibility of upgrading the firmware to get that functionality?

Last edited by zen kobane : 15th October 2012 at 04:22.
zen kobane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 05:55   #377
BHPian

@ Zen kobane: Thanks for a honest feedback. I agree with you on most parts about the drive and features. Yes there are many people who complain about handling. Frankly, yes it is overrated. Much better than the Verna and I wouldn't even call the Verna bad. For city drives and an odd highway drive, at reasonable and responsible speeds both do their job well, IMO.
My grouse was with the overall visibility around the car. Sometimes I feel that Hyundai has compromised function for form with this one. At the comfortable driving position for me, I found many blind spots. The A pillars and rear especially. And the rear seats made me claustrophobic. May be you mean front seats were having good support, I didn't think the rear was anything to write home about.
Overall though a fantastic package. About the MID, no I don't think an upgrade is possible. But will confirm and let you know. I also noticed I couldn't turn off the gear shift indicators, may be it was not that obviously placed like the Verna.

@ abhi: yes you make a lot of sense with the discounts in hand part. And no am not considering the elantra. Back in March when I tested the fluence it was to see how it matched to Cruze and Jetta. what I didn't like is the odd placement of controls specifically the audio controls underneath phone switches, the speed limiter around the parking brake and the bonnet lever on the passenger side. I ended up buying a car in the segment above. ;-) got a killer deal from the dealer as it was an outgoing model.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th October 2012 at 07:24. Reason: Final warning. Please do not post back to back within 30mins. Use the edit option if replying within 30mins or the multi quote option. Thanks.
cars_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 06:38   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
4. The wheel, though there is almost no feedback, but man, what a wheel. It feels so chunky and makes you feel more confident about it at high speeds. I could sit there and drive with one arm, left arm, resting on the arm rest, at speeds above 100... Now that's FUN driving!
Well...I am not sure I understand you. If one loves driving, why would he/she drive with left arm resting on the arm-rest? I mean, how does this signify love for driving? And if there is no feedback from the steering, how will the steering make one feel more confident at high speeds??? I respect your opinion, but I fail to understand the logic.

BTW, ventilated seats is an awesome thing - otherwise I feel it's quite stupid to have leather seats in out hot climate.

(In lighter vein: Verna needs ventilated seats more than any other car. With that scary steering, a test drive inside Pune on a cold January morning made me sweat like anything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
Yes there are many people who complain about handling. Frankly, yes it is overrated. Much better than the Verna and I wouldn't even call the Verna bad. For city drives and an odd highway drive, at reasonable and responsible speeds both do their job well, IMO..
Do you mean an odd highway drive is less risky that a daily highway drive? Hmmm...

BTW, if Elantra has better steering than Verna, it's good for everyone, but I feel the Verna steering is so lousy that concerns about it are not at all overrated.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th October 2012 at 06:40.
Old 15th October 2012, 07:09   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Do you mean an odd highway drive is less risky that a daily highway drive? Hmmm...
@anandpadhye: I am not sure if this was asked in a lighter vein, but if you were seriously pondering over my note, Nope thats not what I meant. Even a city drive can be risky if one is rash and reckless. What I meant is from pushing the car to go a lil faster. An odd highway drive could be tempting to drive a wee bit faster and yes, IMO, the car will manage that respectably. The key words in my statement are reasonable and responsible speeds. Whether you do an odd drive or a daily drive on the highway, so long as you know what you are doing with a car of this sort, you are fine.
Old 15th October 2012, 08:52   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
Sir, Am not contesting your view at all, but not all car companies have recalled cars here in this country,when there is a world wide drive! Does this amount to those brands being irresponsible? Eg Toyota which had such a massive recall owing to a dangerous power window switch. Now out of those thousands of cars how many Were in India? rattling steering and ac vents are issues for sure. But life threatening or hazardous? Not to me. Our whole country is plagued with compromises. So long as it's cheap an average buyer is happy. Whether it is faulty power windows or rattling steering wheel. and I have owned a santro, accent, Verna and now a sonata. Never felt a steering rattle till now. Minor defects did exist in all of them but my service personnel did well to keep me happy.
When I am paying a premium for a car, I would expect no compromises irrespective of whether other car makers have compromised on their offerings. Th steering rattle may or may not be serious but having to experience it on a 9L car is frustrating for some. I agree cars do sometimes come with niggles but it is upto the manufacturer to make sure it is taken care of. That shows commitment. In the case of the i20, Hyundai have never bothered unless the customer raised their voices. BTW, I have owned a Santro and have an I20 asta diesel now. Except for the steering rattle, its been a good experience. But if Hyundai had been proactive, it would have been better is what I am trying to say.

Last edited by shivasuma : 15th October 2012 at 08:55.
Old 15th October 2012, 22:12   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Well...I am not sure I understand you. If one loves driving, why would he/she drive with left arm resting on the arm-rest? I mean, how does this signify love for driving? And if there is no feedback from the steering, how will the steering make one feel more confident at high speeds??? I respect your opinion, but I fail to understand the logic.
You might wanna try looking at my perspective, not as logic, but just preference.

I love my drive when I can be relaxed. I love being on the road. But if for you driving being enjoyable means racing, cutting sharp corners or going zig zag... no, then that's not what it means to me.

But, im open to knowing what fun driving means to you and others here

Last edited by zen kobane : 15th October 2012 at 22:17.
Old 15th October 2012, 22:29   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, im open to knowing what fun driving means to you and others here
Been on this forum for more than 5 years now and I still dont know what people mean when they say that

I guess dont let it bother too much. Different people different preferences.

@anandpadhye
It is not quite so stupid to have leather seats even in our climate. Lot of us have them and enjoy them on a daily basis

Last edited by joslicx : 15th October 2012 at 22:31.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:33   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I guess dont let it bother too much. Different people different preferences.
Yep... I've driven Laura and I don't know what differentiates it from others in terms of fun to drive. I guess its the quick acceleration burst or just wheel feedback that it centers back automatically... I don't know!

But I'm always curious to know what others feel
Old 16th October 2012, 05:41   #384
BHPian

@ Zen Kobane: You hit the nail on it's head there mate. I have seen so many people in this forum and outside it talk about handling and use terms like "drivers car". While I understand what it means, where I know such people personally, I have gone ahead to verify what it means to them. In some cases people who talk about handling can't differentiate between oversteer or understeer. Drivers car is about Max mileage in going from A to B.
Not pointing fingers to people in this forum or outside or using sarcasm here at all. When I see people put down Hyundai for handling problems I'd very much like to know if they are really people who push the car or are they folks who just need to know the car won't step out of the line at times of emergency.
During my life in Australia I have owned and driven a vw golf gti and a Subaru wrx. The skoda or Jetta other cars that pride themselves in razor sharp handling in India can't be compared to them it is like comparing apples to oranges. So what really is "fun to drive" or "drivers car" here mean? And why does a Hyundai in most cases take the rap for it in this country?
Old 16th October 2012, 07:15   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy
During my life in Australia I have owned and driven a vw golf gti and a Subaru wrx. The skoda or Jetta other cars that pride themselves in razor sharp handling in India can't be compared to them it is like comparing apples to oranges. So what really is "fun to drive" or "drivers car" here mean? And why does a Hyundai in most cases take the rap for it in this country?
Going by that logic, say an SLS AMG or even an M5 can possibly eat the Gti or WRX for breakfast; does that make the Golf or Subaru any less fun to drive?
These are after all just spruced-up versions of family cars. And the Jetta and Laura are Golfs with boots.
I didn't really get your point, but between the Jetta, the Laura and the Elantra it's the Europeans that can corner better. But whether that warrants the huge premium they ask, I'm not sure.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:50   #386
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(In lighter vein: Verna needs ventilated seats more than any other car. With that scary steering, a test drive inside Pune on a cold January morning made me sweat like anything).

BTW, if Elantra has better steering than Verna, it's good for everyone, but I feel the Verna steering is so lousy that concerns about it are not at all overrated.
Well owners like me who have driven the Verna over the last one year are very happy. Tassem's thread express views of long term ownership

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

I find the steering to be a boon for city driving and tight parking. On the highway through experience, I know what to expect when I steer.

The Verna has its short comings but it not a deal breaker for the public by large, for a few petrol heads possible.

Cheers

KPS
Old 16th October 2012, 08:02   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod note: Please stay on topic.
Old 16th October 2012, 10:49   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

@anandpadhye
It is not quite so stupid to have leather seats even in our climate. Lot of us have them and enjoy them on a daily basis
Please try ventilated ones, they are awesome.
This surely is one good feature of the Elantra.
Old 17th October 2012, 02:07   #389

Quote:
So ya, I finally took a TD of SX AT Petrol and SX MT CRDI... I loved the Crdi more! Here, my tiny Hands-On:

1. The negatives about driving not being fun, are little over rated... I found it quite comfortable and for me that's fun
2. The turbo lag is not at all that annoying. I strongly feel it is quite powerful and didn't even have a single issue pushing it for a quick takeover. I'm comparing it to my experience with Laura on highways.
3. The car is superbly quiet inside and outside.
5. The Ventilated seats! Oh man, that is a neat add-on. I finally feel confident about heading to a party, right after a hot summer drive with a fully dry shirt!
6. ICE is simple, nothing over the top... For me I listen to music at acceptable volume, to make my driving more comforting, so I guess it does the job. If need be, Ill just add an amp and woofer to it, though I strongly doubt I'll ever get that!
7. Seats are superbly comfortable, specially the under thigh support! Way better than Laura for sure.
8. AC is quiet and cool, just perfect!
9. I intentionally drove it on a broken road, didn't even feel a thing! That's a good thing!
10. To finish this tiny hands-on, I felt the car was big enough inside and outside. And I instinctively adapted to its measurements, and could cut tight corners very easily. I feel that's an important point when upgrading from a hatchback to a D class.

Let me know your take on my take too!

But one serious question, when Verna can have an MID, with real time fuel efficiency, why cant Elantra do the same?

Tell me forum pros, is there a possibility of upgrading the firmware to get that functionality?
Mutual thoughts Sire. After having read all the posts in this thread and before the TD, I had almost given up on the Elantra. The shortcomings are really overrated. It's nothing but personal preferences and looking at the growing market for D segment cars, wherein, most customers are new entrants/upgraders, it shoudnnt be a deal breaker at all. As far as VFM is concerned, Elantra is cheaper than the Laura and the Jetta, so no issues there either.
Old 17th October 2012, 12:20   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2703 View Post
Mutual thoughts Sire. After having read all the posts in this thread and before the TD, I had almost given up on the Elantra. The shortcomings are really overrated. It's nothing but personal preferences and looking at the growing market for D segment cars, wherein, most customers are new entrants/upgraders, it shoudnnt be a deal breaker at all. As far as VFM is concerned, Elantra is cheaper than the Laura and the Jetta, so no issues there either.
All I will say is the Elantra is a compelling package. You cannot ignore it, even if you want a "driver's car" like the Cruze. I find myself torn between the Elantra and the Cruze. There is no questioning the VFM factor of the Elantra with the sheer amount of features and bells & whistles it offers. The ride is comfortable, the handling is precise enough, the light steering makes it a breeze to manoeuver in the city, and all the driver aids like EBD, EPS, VSM etc make it a very safe car to be in. Yes the power & torque are not comparable to the Cruze but then this is meant to be a city car, more than a highway rocket and so it really does tick all the right boxes as far as that goes.

So, like you put it, it all boils down to personal preference. Most customers in this segment are looking for comfort, class, bells & whistles, hassle free A.S.S and a good ownership experience and this car will give them all that. As for the short comings of the car, I wouldn't say they are over-rated because, again, it depends on your driving style and preference. I think it is fair to say that most people will not find the short comings of the car that big a deal breaker as most people buying this car will either be chauffeur driven or will use it mainly in the city.

I personally, have always wanted that extra power and torque in my machine, along with a solid sturdy feel, which the Cruze gives me. I must admit after TDing the Elantra, while I wasn't thrilled with the drive, my head was turned by all those features and those absolutely gorgeous looks. But then my wife didn't like the beige interiors one bit. Then there was this stretch of road where I switched lanes while doing between 90 - 100 and she felt very queasy at the back. Those two things were enough for her to make up her mind about it, although she was all gaga about the car before the TD and wanted it more than the Cruze. I am now leaning more towards the Cruze but still can't get the Elantra out of my head .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks