Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 14:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Very good review tsk.
I have a question on the rear seat. Did you try seated at the rear when the car driven for some miles? I am asking this because, from the pictures, it looks like it lacks with the under thigh support.
Yes, I actually spent a couple of hours in the back seat, and it was very comfortable. One of the nicest rear seats around.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 14:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer and GTO,

A straight question: If you were to pick a diesel MT car today in the D1 segment, will it be the Jetta or Fluidic Elantra? Or a third one? And why?

I will appreciate if you guys can give me both the 'junta' perspective (meaning which car do you think is overall better) and your personal perspective (meaning if you were to buy a car for yourself).

I will be in the 'decision boat' pretty soon, so doing some research here Tanveer, do you think that the Hyundai Elantra 'quality' levels have improved to an extent that we can compare them to VW group Jetta/Laura or are they still some way off? (but still better than Cruze/Corolla; both of which, IMHO, have poor quality levels)

Thanks,
Abhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Elantra does not offer that much more over the Verna. In Bangalore the OTR price of the Diesel SX (O) AT is 14.01L. Hyundai cannot price it more than 2-3L above the Verna. The 2 additional gears with same engine will just not be worth it.
Buddy, that also has a lot to do with the 'atrocious Bangalore pricing'. If you look at the suggested pricing of the car at the national level, it should be ok. But suddenly when you consider Bangalore prices, you almost have to go a segment down for the same price.

I have always believed that OTR Bangalore prices tend to give us a skewed picture of the reality. I think we should look at the ex showroom prices for relevant comparisons.

Posts merged on request

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th July 2012 at 14:33.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:31   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Another excellent review, and pics to match !

Wonder if a 1.8 diesel mill would have been better ?
Old 30th July 2012, 14:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Spot on Manson. This is exactly what I was thinking. I just looked at the features and specs on paper and the only additional features in the Elantra are the ventilated seats, 6 speed AT and dual zone climate control.

The Elantra does not offer that much more over the Verna. In Bangalore the OTR price of the Diesel SX (O) AT is 14.01L. Hyundai cannot price it more than 2-3L above the Verna. The 2 additional gears with same engine will just not be worth it.
World over the Elantra costs 30% more than the Accent(Verna here). So I guess, they should carry this over here. I told them, if they try to do a premium pricing, it will meet the same fate as the Sonata Transform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Tanveer and GTO,

A straight question: If you were to pick a diesel MT car today in the D1 segment, will it be the Jetta or Fluidic Elantra? Or a third one? And why?

I will appreciate if you guys can give me both the 'junta' perspective (meaning which car do you think is overall better) and your personal perspective (meaning if you were to buy a car for yourself).

I will be in the 'decision boat' pretty soon, so doing some research here Tanveer, do you think that the Hyundai Elantra 'quality' levels have improved to an extent that we can compare them to VW group Jetta/Laura or are they still some way off? (but still better than Cruze/Corolla; both of which, IMHO, have poor quality levels)

Thanks,
Abhi.
Abhi, I am an SUV guy, so I am not really the right person to ask, but here goes.
As far as interior quality is concerned, its top notch. Its as good, as the Europeans.
I would definitely buy it over the Europeans, because I fee Hyundai will be easier on the pocket to maintain. 10 years ago, those 15 extra horses which other have would have mattered, but today, ~130 is enough. She can cruise at 130 without fuss, and thats the max I need.
As I mentioned, what sort of driver are you. I need a rocket kind or the sedate kind.
If you have a hard time deciding, take 2 heavy people with you, and take a Verna TD. Extra people in Verna = Elantra as far as the power is concerned!
Old 30th July 2012, 14:49   #35
BHPian

Thanks for the fantastic detailed review Tanveer. Looks like a well rounded package from Hyundai. Should take away sales esp from Altis D (which besides the puny engine for some reason does not come with an auto box). Interestingly does not seem to be having too much going for it besides the size, better ride quality & gearbox on the successful Verna.

Now it is upto Hyundai to price it aggressively which can help them rake in strong numbers in D1 segment as well else it could end up losing out to the fully loaded top end Verna.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

No MID? Did I read that correct?
And still handles like a boat on highways?
Well maybe they will sort it out someday.

This has to be the first Fluidic design themed car with I like out of the whole Hyundai stable.

And some awesome photography.
Last picture was a winner.
Maybe Hyundai will pay you to use that in brochure.
Old 30th July 2012, 15:12   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Buddy, that also has a lot to do with the 'atrocious Bangalore pricing'. If you look at the suggested pricing of the car at the national level, it should be ok. But suddenly when you consider Bangalore prices, you almost have to go a segment down for the same price.

I have always believed that OTR Bangalore prices tend to give us a skewed picture of the reality. I think we should look at the ex showroom prices for relevant comparisons.
But why should I look at ex-showroom prices when I am going to be paying On road prices?

Whichever way you look at it, the difference will be the same since both the Elantra and Verna will fall under the same Road tax category. The AT variant of the Verna is above 10L ex-showroom which means 18.9% road tax. Same will be for the Elantra.

If you see Delhi then you will obviously see lower prices but Bangalore, Mumbai and Chennai have similar road tax structures. Mumbai and Chennai maybe lower % but they also have slabs.

The Verna SX(O) AT Diesel ex-showroom is 11.4L.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 15:12   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tanveer and GTO,

The Jetta 6-speed MT, which I recently had my brother pick up. Reasons:

- There is hardly a difference between the Jetta and the C / 3 / A4. It's 90% of the luxury Germans at 60% of the cost.

- Great engine. Superb driveability, stonking performance and respectable fuel efficiency. Nice gearbox too.

- Balanced ride, handling & high speed stability.

- Good on space.

- Absolutely love the clean, elegant clothes.

On the downside, the Jetta will not be as reliable as the Elantra and is lacking in equipment (including climate control!!). We can also safely presume that the Jetta is the more expensive.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 16:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review. Picture quality is stunning!

Pepole are now more or less used to the Fluidic styling with Hyundai's cars. Though this new Elantra looks modern and stylish, I am already getting a bit bored with this Fluidic theme. Looks like a Verna on 120% Zoom.

Did the engineers forget to put in an MID? It is an absolute must even in the C segment these days.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th July 2012 at 16:27.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 16:32   #40
BHPian

I was just about to book the jetta. This is looking tempting, I am willing to forgo performance for better economy and vented seats( I am the guy who has a sweaty back). The price and the ride is gonna be the deal breaker for me. It cannot be anything like the verna back seat.

Tanveer, the ride is not comparable to the European cars, ok, is it comparable to the japs ie civic / corolla ?
Old 30th July 2012, 16:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai's on a roll. Love the coupe look stance of the Elantra and the blue console lights. I am pretty sure Honda will be launching the new Civic pretty soon and that'll heat up the competition once again. Does the Elantra's ECO mode do the same job as the upcoming Civic's or the current Brio's ECO mode?
Old 30th July 2012, 17:10   #42
BHPian

Great review TSK. As always it is the TeamBHP review which is the best most comprehensive one. Any idea on what variants will be on offer?

Amazing photography there especially with the shots of the car in motion. It would be great if you can help me with tips on how does one do it so nicely (I have an entry level DSLR Canon 550d).

The one photo where you have all the 3 sedans (Sonata Elantra and Verna) clearly distinguishes the 3 from each other and I dont think there is a case here where people will be unable to distinguish one from another quite unlike the Jetta/Vento (as a Vento owner i also find it difficult sometimes to distinguish the two). But then thats me!

The diesel AT can really be a game changer in the segment and this might also be an opportunity for Hyundai to offer Auto boxes across variants. On the flipside though this may adversely affect the sales of the Verna diesel AT. I feel Hyundai may find itself in a catch 22 situation where they might want to price the Elantra competitively but at the same time also avoid any cannibalisation with the Verna. Still Hyundai price it well and you have one fabulous car on hand.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:35   #43
BHPian

Great Review TSK.

BTW what does VSM mean?, you have mentioned this in your opening post.

I do believe the Elantra was the better engineered sedan even in the previous generation (i'm comparing accent and old sonata here) and this seems to be continuing.

Its also great that they are offering a diesel AT, I expect this to bring in good volume.

If Hyundai prices this right, they should own both the C and C+ segments, lets wait and watch.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:00   #44
BHPian

Excellent review tsk. Looks to be a good car with no shortcomings. I still prefer the Jetta for its engine, ride and handling and more importantly the clean design which will age well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
BTW what does VSM mean?, you have mentioned this in your opening post.
VSM stands for Vehicle Stability Management.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:32   #45
BHPian

Fantastic pictures! On print this review will surpass even topgear (I love their quality of photos too). Rated 5 stars!

Most Viewed