Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 09:25   #256
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

I guess the performance and driving pleasure matters as much as luxuries and bells and whistles when one buys a car from 15-20L segment. What matters more to one decides the choice. I think this car will be good for somebody being chauffeured around to sit at the back in a sofa like seat with all the luxuries around.
dezrskb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 09:37   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Thanks.... What's the on road price of the base and the mid version ? I believe the mid version is approx 80000 rs extra ... Would that be worth it ?
Yes, 1.6 S will be a better VFM and yes you will have to spend 80-90K additional. However, you should look at the following page for the specifications to make the best judgement, depending upon what you're looking for. Happy Buying!!!

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/wcm/gro...ent/317758.pdf
nilambuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 14:09   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilambuj View Post
Yes, 1.6 S will be a better VFM and yes you will have to spend 80-90K additional. However, you should look at the following page for the specifications to make the best judgement, depending upon what you're looking for. Happy Buying!!!

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/wcm/gro...ent/317758.pdf
Considering SX versions of Verna and Elantra, I had made my mind for Verna SX but after reading your post, I again had a look on differences between variants of Elantra.
And the result is that I am again confused but now this time its between Verna SX and Elantra Base ( ofcourse Diesel).
Almost all features are common and the price difference is of 3 Lacs only(ofcourse that difference would be borne by bank only).

Please help.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:01   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
Considering SX versions of Verna and Elantra, I had made my mind for Verna SX but after reading your post, I again had a look on differences between variants of Elantra.
And the result is that I am again confused but now this time its between Verna SX and Elantra Base ( ofcourse Diesel).
Almost all features are common and the price difference is of 3 Lacs only(ofcourse that difference would be borne by bank only).

Please help.
I would say this is a good problem to have now rather than after buying the car.

Why did you opt out of Elantra SX in favour of Verna SX? There is no comparison in terms of the safety and some of the additional features in Elantra SX. Plus Elantra is a D1 segment car and has better creature comforts and even better ride quality & handling than Verna (though in handling and ride quality it is still below par of its D1 competitors).

Between the diesel Verna SX and Elantra base (diesel) I would rather choose Verna SX because strictly IMO Elantra base is not worth the money (unless you want to get into the D1 segment somehow).
Old 21st August 2012, 17:00   #260
Team-BHP Support

Goodies aside the Elantra scores over the verna in the following aspects
1. Better interiors
2. Better NVH
3. More space
4. Better ride and handling
5. 6 speed A/T
6. Petrol engine is "nice"

Do not expect better FE or better performance.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:42   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilambuj View Post
I would say this is a good problem to have now rather than after buying the car.

Why did you opt out of Elantra SX in favour of Verna SX? There is no comparison in terms of the safety and some of the additional features in Elantra SX. Plus Elantra is a D1 segment car and has better creature comforts and even better ride quality & handling than Verna (though in handling and ride quality it is still below par of its D1 competitors).

Between the diesel Verna SX and Elantra base (diesel) I would rather choose Verna SX because strictly IMO Elantra base is not worth the money (unless you want to get into the D1 segment somehow).
On Comparing Elantra Base and S, Base variant came out to be the TRUE VFM: S Variant has following things extra:

1. Front Foglamps: Will get it installed later on (I don't think it would cost more than 5K).
2. Rear Camera: Another 5K.
3. ECM: No use to me.
4. Electrically Foldable & Heated ORVMs: No use to me. I like driving them open always.
5. Push Button Start: No use to me.

Since my driving would be 99% in city and done by myself only, Please Suggest between Verna SX and Elatra Base.
oops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:53   #262
BHPian

thanks everybody for all your responses specially OOPS whose doubts exactly mirror mine . The Base Elantra, if market-fitted with the fog lamps etc (as mentioned above) would almost equal the S version. That + entry into D 1 for ~ 3 lac extra+ the novelty value/head turning i think makes the Base the most VFM ! Thanks..
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:42   #263
BHPian

Quote:
On Comparing Elantra Base and S, Base variant came out to be the TRUE VFM: S Variant has following things extra:

1. Front Foglamps: Will get it installed later on (I don't think it would cost more than 5K).
4. Electrically Foldable & Heated ORVMs: No use to me. I like driving them open always.

Since my driving would be 99% in city and done by myself only, Please Suggest between Verna SX and Elatra Base.
Verna SX(O) has definately got more creature comforts than Elantra Base. If you are okay to trade away top-end feature from the Verna plus add another 3L to get an Elantra that just a little bigger on the inside and short on features - you can always follow your heart.

If you think space is not a major constrain (mostly applicable for nuclear families) than I would personally would suggest you to get the cream of Verna SX(O) and save on those 3L. Maybe you could invest that on some life insurance, or save it up for kids education. Think about it, 3L is a lot of money to spend for gaining a little and losing a lot.
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:20   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaildurrani View Post
Verna SX(O) has definately got more creature comforts than Elantra Base. If you are okay to trade away top-end feature from the Verna plus add another 3L to get an Elantra that just a little bigger on the inside and short on features - you can always follow your heart.

If you think space is not a major constrain (mostly applicable for nuclear families) than I would personally would suggest you to get the cream of Verna SX(O) and save on those 3L. Maybe you could invest that on some life insurance, or save it up for kids education. Think about it, 3L is a lot of money to spend for gaining a little and losing a lot.
We seriously need a chart comparing stepwise all the creature comforts of Verna(SX), Verna(SX-O) versus Elantra (Base). I tried copy pasting from carw*^e.com but got too confused and gave up . Can some guru help us confused lot ? The height/width/length/tyre size/fuel tank difference is easy to see. I guess most of the bells and whistles of Verna top end are there in Elantra Base ?? Please correct me.
Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 01:22   #265
BHPian

Anyone heard of any deliveries yet?

I spoke to my dealer (HMP, Delhi), he said they will get to know the production timeline by 8th-9th September.

To All: Please, share your info too...
Old 24th August 2012, 12:19   #266
BHPian

Excellent review. And fantabulous pictures. These pictures can put many a Auto magazines to shame. Kudos to Hyundai to keep the momentum going and being at par with Japanese Auto makers. With Honda almost certain on pulling out Civic and Hyundai coming in with this Elantra it will put more dent to the Honda image and future in India.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:31   #267
BHPian

I test drove the Elantra diesel manual and automatic and I seriously do not understand that why would Hyundai make such an under powered car. I remember pressing the accelerator to the very bottom and still the engine took it's own sweet time to respond and show some acceleration. In bumper to bumper traffic and while over taking I was short of pulling my hair and banging my head on the steering wheel. Agreed the interiors are great but the engine cannot be so shamelessly slow. And the AT is more unresponsive than the manual transmission. Besides that the steering wheel was so "breezy" on "high speed" that it was making me nervous and uncomfortable. In my view the price fails to justify the product. The car is fine for unenthusiastic drivers but still then you need some amount of power under the hood to move forward.
kch82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 13:17   #268
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
thanks everybody for all your responses specially OOPS whose doubts exactly mirror mine . The Base Elantra, if market-fitted with the fog lamps etc (as mentioned above) would almost equal the S version. That + entry into D 1 for ~ 3 lac extra+ the novelty value/head turning i think makes the Base the most VFM ! Thanks..
Took a test drive of the Elantra yesterday afternoon. Drove it for almost 5km in both bumper to bumper traffic and a small empty stretch. Following are my observations:
  • When viewing it physically, it definitely looks much bigger than the Verna (and may be to some extend even bigger than the Altis and Civic).
  • Handling within city traffic and up-to speeds of 80-90km/hr is almost at par with other D1 segment options.
  • Ride quality far better than the Verna.
  • Definitely not for the enthusiast. Does feel a little lethargic when trying to overtake from speeds of 20-40km/hr.
  • However, its the interiors that really sets it apart from its competition. Although, space at back is strictly for 2 and may be a small or medium height person in the middle or a kid.
  • Definitely worth the upgrade over the Verna.

However, I do feel that the S variant is much more VFM than the base and would strongly recommend you look at it. Do remember that once you buy, the car will stay with you for a minimum of 3-5 years. You would definitely see the worth of the extra 80-90k if you think over that period.

I too was looking forward to getting the Verna SX(O) diesel around Diwali. Now strongly considering the Elantra. Very confused between the S and SX variant. Really want the following options (as the car will be self driven):
  • Front seat ventilation
  • 10-way adjustable power driver seat
But 17L+ is very much out of budget (almost 5L over the Verna SX(O) ). Will take a call when the time comes.

All the best for your decision making. Will look forward to your report on the final purchase.
ankan_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 14:18   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
I test drove the Elantra diesel manual and automatic and I seriously do not understand that why would Hyundai make such an under powered car. I remember pressing the accelerator to the very bottom and still the engine took it's own sweet time to respond and show some acceleration. In bumper to bumper traffic and while over taking I was short of pulling my hair and banging my head on the steering wheel. Agreed the interiors are great but the engine cannot be so shamelessly slow. And the AT is more unresponsive than the manual transmission. Besides that the steering wheel was so "breezy" on "high speed" that it was making me nervous and uncomfortable. In my view the price fails to justify the product. The car is fine for unenthusiastic drivers but still then you need some amount of power under the hood to move forward.

I had the same feeling when i drove the AT. I just couldn't understand why its reaction time was so slow !! I really don't think it beats my 5 year old Civic in terms of drivability. Overall the cars great for a more sober driver.
The Exteriors/Interiors are all racy while the car fails to deliver that promise.
I may still go ahead an buy it because no other car can offer me the value this car offers at 17.5 on road for a Diesel AT. Will take a call soon.
Old 24th August 2012, 14:44   #270
BHPian

I had almost finalized on Laura / Jetta after driving Altis-D, Fluence, Duster. Basically wanted good power with a heavy vehicle and a good driving pleasure, preferably European. I held back when I heard about Elantra launch and put off my purchase for more than 2 weeks. Ultimately after reading reviews and as the initial test drive reports started trickling in though I could not take a test drive of Elantra ( none of the nearby showrooms could get a TD vehicle), I went ahead with booking of Laura CR 2.0 TDI Elegance MT (thought more VFM compared to overpriced Jetta with shorter warranty). Now after booking Laura, out of curiosity I took a TD of Elantra as the TD vehicle was now available (top trim diesel MT). Drive was comfortable though bit lethargic (couldn't test high speed stability). Interiors are nice, exteriors look stunning and flashy. But can't say I had same driving pleasure as while driving Laura. So decided to go ahead with Laura. No regrets. But Hyundai has put in good efforts. All in all a reasonably good package.

Last edited by dezrskb : 24th August 2012 at 14:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks