Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 12:54   #286
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Anytime Shreyas, you dont have to thank me. That is why this forum exists. Another point tipping the scales is modding. the power can be upped on the tsi with ease. Slap on an aftermarket blow off valve and you get the psshhht when you lift off.
Old 5th September 2012, 07:19   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
I test drove the Elantra diesel manual and automatic and I seriously do not understand that why would Hyundai make such an under powered car. I remember pressing the accelerator to the very bottom and still the engine took it's own sweet time to respond and show some acceleration. In bumper to bumper traffic and while over taking I was short of pulling my hair and banging my head on the steering wheel. Agreed the interiors are great but the engine cannot be so shamelessly slow. And the AT is more unresponsive than the manual transmission. Besides that the steering wheel was so "breezy" on "high speed" that it was making me nervous and uncomfortable. In my view the price fails to justify the product. The car is fine for unenthusiastic drivers but still then you need some amount of power under the hood to move forward.
Hello. I am considering to buy the Elantra Diesel Manual. Is the performance so bad? Is it at least better or equal to the Renault Fluence? I also thought of going for Chevy Cruze but their after sales service is pretty bad in my area. So which car do you suggest for me? Elantra or Fluence?
Old 5th September 2012, 07:24   #288

Hello. I am considering to buy an Elantra. But I am really worried of the Ground Clearance of this car. It is not mentioned anywhere in the website or brochure. So I called my dealer and he said it is 170mm. Is it true? I mean, from the pictures in looks really low. Please help.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:40   #289
BHPian

You are right paras. Though there are a few questions coming to my mind, which I would put here:
My mind says (or practical me says):
1. Elantra's lifecycle has just started, laura is nearing the end of its lifecycle
2. If I will mostly be driving in the city, then laura's extra power may not be felt
3. The features that the elantra packs in are outstanding, skoda has skimped on features in the laura
4. Overall, elantra should be easy on pocket than the laura
5. Its the best dynamically sound Hyundai

My heart says:
1. Laura's engine is the reason you are going for it
2. End of the lifecycle or not - the 2 lakhs discount going around will more than make up for it
3. It will bring a smile on your face everytime you drive it
4. European build - not yet experienced

Am confused, may be a test drive of the elantra will help me in deciding how much I am missing in terms of driving pleasure but I was pretty convinced that I want to go for laura now I am in two minds.

What do you guys say?
Old 5th September 2012, 10:35   #290
Team-BHP Support

The ground clearance is 167mm, which is close to 170mm. This is in the ballpark of other sedans in the category.
Old 6th September 2012, 03:28   #291
BHPian

^^^ Wonder if the ground clearance would be sufficient for Bangalore roads
Especially when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage.
Old 6th September 2012, 10:29   #292

Hi all, looks like the multiple gizmos fitted in the Elantra have succeeded in hooking the indian car buyers. The latest figures in August sales have shown as many as 680 odd bookings for the elantra.Looks like it will take time for our population to mature as car buyers and features like driving dynamics will take precedence over bells and whistles provided.
Took a test drive of the elantra diesel a week back, was impressed with the feature list but the drive was uninspiring to say the least.For us in Goa ,we are a little lucky in the sense that during the test drive ,have the opportunity to drive the cars on pretty decent roads with a few hills thrown in where the driving dynamics,stability ,road holding is magnified if you throw the car into those curves.For me the experience was just not good enough to loosen my purse strings for the koreans.
have booked the JETTA TSI 1.4 which brought a smile to my lips within the first 2 minutes which turned into a grin at the end of twenty minutes of some spirited driving on the twisties.Came home and decided i could live with less features rather can compromise on the core characteristics of a car which will give a smile everyday. Just my point of view after purchasing six cars in the past including a Baleno and on the verge of making the seventh purchase. Cheers from goa.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:56   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomoco View Post
Hi all, looks like the multiple gizmos fitted in the Elantra have succeeded in hooking the indian car buyers. The latest figures in August sales have shown as many as 680 odd bookings for the elantra.Looks like it will take time for our population to mature as car buyers and features like driving dynamics will take precedence over bells and whistles provided...

...Came home and decided i could live with less features rather can compromise on the core characteristics of a car which will give a smile everyday. Just my point of view after purchasing six cars in the past including a Baleno and on the verge of making the seventh purchase. Cheers from goa.
Hi locomoco I guess it's different things that each of us look for in our drives. While personally I went for the Jetta HL AT & recommended a Rapid for a friend who like to drive hard & at moderate - high speeds on highway. Another one who would 90% of the time drive in the city & even on the highway would maybe never cross 80 - 90 the feature laden & richer interior feel Verna made more sense.

Reading your post clearly tells me that you are an enthusiast & must congratulate you for your choice. While I have not test driven the 1.4 TSI but the driving dynamics & road manners of the Jetta do bring a smile to my face every time I take her out
Old 6th September 2012, 22:38   #294
BHPian

Me and wife were discussing the pros and cons of elantra and she made a stunningly simple observation - if three persons are sitting in the elantra's back and any of them wants to use the audio remote then ?.. I was dumbfounded ! That way Verna (SX)scores !
On the same lines , if after market leather (or leatherite ) seat covers are put in a base/S Elantra the look over the rear seat arm rest may become a bit shabby , isn't it ?
Old 7th September 2012, 19:47   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
^^^ Wonder if the ground clearance would be sufficient for Bangalore roads
Especially when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage.
Styx71 - There is probably no sedan which can glide over bangalore roads with a full load of people , except may be SX4, however adopting a careful driving style can avoid scraping to a large extent.

Stating this from experience as I own the previous gen elantra which has similar GC.
Old 7th September 2012, 23:26   #296
BHPian

On the road in UP -
Diesel -
1428888(B)
1509082(S)
1642007(SX)
1751861(SX AT)

Petrol -
1384947(S)
1520069(SX)
1629923(AT)

Since my daily running won't be more than 50 -60 km will it make more sense to go for the petrol (s) ?.
I have a diesel i20 for long runs ...
Pl advice !
Old 8th September 2012, 10:45   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
On the road in UP -
Diesel -
1428888(B)
1509082(S)
1642007(SX)
1751861(SX AT)

Petrol -
1384947(S)
1520069(SX)
1629923(AT)

Since my daily running won't be more than 50 -60 km will it make more sense to go for the petrol (s) ?.
I have a diesel i20 for long runs ...
Pl advice !
With 50kms of daily running, diesel would be preferable. But I would like to ask you a question. Are you sure you want to buy the elantra? I recently had a test drive of the elantra and I came back with mixed thoughts. The reason is, it felt like a "bigger i20" as far as driving experience went. Its a good car no doubt, but I was expecting something different than my i20 diesel. But in no way is it a bad car.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:47   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
With 50kms of daily running, diesel would be preferable. But I would like to ask you a question. Are you sure you want to buy the elantra? I recently had a test drive of the elantra and I came back with mixed thoughts. The reason is, it felt like a "bigger i20" as far as driving experience went. Its a good car no doubt, but I was expecting something different than my i20 diesel. But in no way is it a bad car.
Thanks !
"Mixed thoughts" -exactly my reaction after TD of this car. My wife likes the light steering of the Hyundais so Maybe I can dispose off my I20 crdi (get exchange bonus in the process also ??) and persist with the "bigger i20" feel and more Jing Bang ?
Problem is the nearest serious competitors are more expensive..( Cruze and the Jetta ):
Another problem would be parking space in my colony --with a Fiesta and now(maybe) the Elantra.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:18   #299
BHPian

Test drove the elantra petrol today. Fully loaded, features galore, though simple information like instantaneous fuel consumption, distance to empty missing (as has already been pointed out). Rear seat was very comfortable - only a two seater though. Front seats are good but howsoever I adjusted the position I could not see the bonnet. Hand rest was of no use as I could not change gears while resting my hand on it (I could do the same in laura). Now coming to the drive - not great IMHO, felt not eager to move forward. Ride was good, steering very very light, my esteem's is an HPS unit, so this was ultra light. Well to sum up, a loaded car but disappointing to drive - could not please the enthusiast in me. So need to go to the laura way.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:26   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
Thanks !
"Mixed thoughts" -exactly my reaction after TD of this car. My wife likes the light steering of the Hyundais so Maybe I can dispose off my I20 crdi (get exchange bonus in the process also ??) and persist with the "bigger i20" feel and more Jing Bang ?
Problem is the nearest serious competitors are more expensive..( Cruze and the Jetta ):
Another problem would be parking space in my colony --with a Fiesta and now(maybe) the Elantra.
If you sold the i20, then going in for the Elantra makes sense. But, I would advise you to TD the Jetta (if you have not already done so). My initial budget was 15L and after TDing it, budget went all the way upto 24L (and then BMW for a little more was also under consideration). Its the temptation. Never ceases. The new cruze is also a good car but its lost it VFM tag. And lastly, we seem to have the same cars in our garage (I own an I20 crdi, a fiesta TDCi and now a Jetta CL). So do I see a Jetta in your garage?

Most Viewed