Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 07:14   #361
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcecpl View Post
Can any one tell me which car has more leg room in the back the elantra, fluence ,Laura or Jetta.

Took a test drive in the diesel auto elantra and found it to be a brilliant car for the city. Since I drive mainly in the city and do about 1200 kms per month I am looking at the auto diesel elantra or auto petrol fluence.

The rear space did not seem to be that much , seems less than a corolla even though the wheel base is larger.

Have not done a test drive in the fluence as yet but will do shortly. Worried that the *** will be poor as Renault sell very few petrol autos .

Any advise will be welcome
I have test driven the Jetta, Laura and Elantra. The Jetta has the most legroom at the rear but because of the high transmission tunnel, its comfortable for 2 only. The elantra also has good legroom (slightly lesser than the Jetta) but can seat 3 as the transmission tunnel is not as high.
Dont know about the fluence but heard it also has pretty good rear space.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:38   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I have test driven the Jetta, Laura and Elantra. The Jetta has the most legroom at the rear but because of the high transmission tunnel, its comfortable for 2 only. The elantra also has good legroom (slightly lesser than the Jetta) but can seat 3 as the transmission tunnel is not as high.
Dont know about the fluence but heard it also has pretty good rear space.
Give us your short & brief, point wise take on Elantra after your test drives. Throw in some points to add a sense of comparison between the 3.
Old 7th October 2012, 21:26   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Give us your short & brief, point wise take on Elantra after your test drives. Throw in some points to add a sense of comparison between the 3.
Please look at page 19 post #277 for my take on the elantra. Its been a while since a TD the Laura. Between the Jetta and the Elantra it depends on what you are looking at. If its VFM, then its the Elantra. I prefer the Jetta's clean lines over the Hyundai's fluidic stying. If its driving pleasure, its the Jetta. The Elantra is loaded with features and is way cheaper than the Jetta and will be cheaper to maintain as well. The Jetta is built like a tank (literally) and is a hoot to drive (apart from the precise steering but which offers no feedback). If you are less than 6 ft tall, both cars will be comfortable. Jetta has better low end response. The elantra interiors are of good quality for a Hyundai but Jetta is better. The one thing that I wish Jetta offered (especially in India) is the cooled seats. I found it really useful during my TD.
Old 8th October 2012, 02:40   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The elantra interiors are of good quality for a Hyundai but Jetta is better. The one thing that I wish Jetta offered (especially in India) is the cooled seats. I found it really useful during my TD.
Oh yeah, I remember reading your take on it and thanks for reminding me

One thing I personally felt when I sat in Jetta right after trying Elantra, the plastics in Jetta are real bad quality. Probably the finishing is not that looked into, they just felt very hatchback quality. I felt the plastics were at a very similar level as Fabia's... Elantra on the other hand, the plastics were soft to press and of a better finish at the edges and joints.

I will post my comments too, after TDing Elantra very soon.
Old 8th October 2012, 08:48   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Oh yeah, I remember reading your take on it and thanks for reminding me

One thing I personally felt when I sat in Jetta right after trying Elantra, the plastics in Jetta are real bad quality. Probably the finishing is not that looked into, they just felt very hatchback quality. I felt the plastics were at a very similar level as Fabia's... Elantra on the other hand, the plastics were soft to press and of a better finish at the edges and joints.

I will post my comments too, after TDing Elantra very soon.
The Jetta central console (with those AC knobs) is tacky. Otherwise the quality and fit and finish is excellent. But when compared to the previous Jetta the quality is down but it has a built to last feeling. Let me know what you think of the Elantra.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:51   #366
BHPian

A big thanks to GTO for his eye-opener article on buying used cars. The only used one I bought in the past was the RX100 since it had been withdrawn from production by the time I sold my KB RTZ and was ready to buy. I never regretted the decision, but I made sure I stripped the bike and changed most nuts and bolts, worked a bit on the engine (no mods) and gave him a new paint too to make it really my own.

After contemplating for a long time between selling my 2006 Peted Elantra CRDi, new Elantra CRDi and the old Jetta TDi (the Common Rail version) CL I was always so fond of, I decided to look out for the 3rd for the value the CL offered. The new Elantra amuses one with its looks; no doubt its the best looker in the segment today. But I was more concerned about how I felt behind the wheel. Nah, I wouldn't want to take corners at 120, but the overall feel when you drive the car somehow wasn't right up there. Lack of independent suspension setup, an imprecise steering unit - even if I didn't have an engine start/stop, I wouldn't have bothered. But handling and ride quality was of utmost importance to me since I cover 1000kms a day during those long drives which I try to do every quarter.

GTO - huge cheer to you, buddy for your advice. It was hard for me to find a sparingly used Jetta and since the longing was so intense, the Law of Attraction worked for me. Grabbed a sweet deal when I got a Jan 2011 car which had clocked just 6000kms on the odo! With all comfort features (except may be a Start/Stop in the Elantra), a superior ride quality and handling prowess and a sweet engine that torques as early as 1500 rpm and remains flat till 4000 rpm - I am loving it!

If you are someone who would occasionally push hard into corners, loves a precise steering, the Elantra will disappoint you. It will throw the passengers hither thither if you tend to be a bit hasty on those turns. But free services, service costs, spare costs etc bring the equation in favor of Elantra for those who are looking for a decent cost effective sedan. I would have booked the first car in town if the steering and suspension were at least close to the one I had in my previous Elantra.

A friend of mine has booked it as per my advice - he is a more relaxed driver and mostly drives in the city. For such a driver, Elantra with its soft suspension setup and steering, integrated camera for park assist is a huge advantage.

It all depends on the parameters on one's checklist and their priorities. It's just that an enthusiast would prefer a Laura/Jetta over it and get ready to pay that extra premium for the drive it offers, for others - Elantra is much better than competition.

On another note, on my third test drive, I happened to notice a CKD sticker on the interiors. The engine certainly is made from Korea, but it could also be that some of the interior components of the first few batches could be imported. From the service team at Hyundai dealership, no complaint notifications from Hyundai India so far. And that's really good. I am waiting to test drive the petrol version now.

PS - I am selling my 2006 model 1,20,000km run Peted, Green Cottoned, Ebony Black Elantra. If someone is interested, please PM me.

Last edited by convivial : 8th October 2012 at 09:55.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:13   #367

Fellow BHPians, Aloha! Having closely followed this particular thread for a while, here goes my first post...

Wanted to buy a car in the budget of 16-18 L asap, as my Fiesta has started giving up on me after 6 years of a somewhat troubled relationship, but that's another story. So, finally shortlisted Laura, Fluence, Cruze and Elantra. (Jetta was going over my budget as I always prefer the fully loaded top variant). I was looking for a Diesel Stick shift.

Criteria for evaluation: (in no particular order)
-Brand Value
-Looks
-Value for money
-Resale value
-Mileage
-Bells & Whistles
-Rear Seat Comfort
-Drive & Handling

Laura: Great drive, mileage, space and brand. Everything was in favour except one, age-old looks. I wouldn't wanna spend 18L today and still own a car that was launched before my current 6 year old car and still looked the same. Though I have to admit, the "Rosso Brunello" color almost had me change my mind.

Cruze: Whoa! Now there's some real power under that hood. The problem is, the car around that expensive rocket engine got a step-motherly treatment. Specially the interiors. Nothing impressive if you're not behind the wheel. Even worse if you're not in the front row at all. I am 6 feet 2, and had the sunroof been directly above the back seat, a comfortable seating would have meant a live commentary on the weather outside. This one's not for me.

Fluence: Loved the drive. One of the best suspensions amongst all the cars I TDed. Definately a head turner. Beautiful inside out. I was only worried about the maintenance costs, service delivery and resale value, but felt that may be these issues wouldn't be a deal breaker. Not until I TDed the next one.

The Elantra: Wow! & How! One look and you can't take your eyes off! Step in and you're mesmerized! Ventilated seats, Rear AC Vents, Smashing centre console, cooled glove box, super premium rear centre armrest, and so many other bells & whistles got me hooked. Moving on to the drive, it was nowhere near the Cruze or the Laura, but then, it wasn't as bad as so many other fellow BHPians think it is. Agreed the engine is the same as Verna, but it handles the car well or the other way round. I won't be highway driving more than 10%, so I guess 1.6 litres generating 128 bhp should suit me just fine. Coupled with Hyundai's well renowned service network, resale value and good mileage, it looked like the deal was sort of complete. TDed again to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. The pickup is a little slow but once the turbo kicks in you can feel the horses pick up paces. The handling is not amazing, but IMHPO it's not a deal breaker. It all depends on your priorities and their placement. When I looked at the entire package, I knew I had spotted my next car.

Went ahead and booked a Bronze SX CRDI Manual. Getting it delivered on Dussera.
gaurav2703 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 18:04   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2703 View Post
Fellow BHPians, Aloha! Having closely followed this particular thread for a while, here goes my first post...

Great Gaurav! I my opinion you made the right choice. Also I think you will be the first owner of new Elantra on the forum..please post a detailed review and lotsss of photos, I'm esp excited to see the new bronze color.
Old 14th October 2012, 16:41   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2703
well done mate. I have been a Hyundai guy for the last twelve years and one thing I realised is in this country you cannot really go wrong with them. Especially when you see the Honda's Toyota's and Ford's recalling cars for faulty parts Hyundai has always (so far) not got any black marks! Next to none in A.S.S department is very comforting too.
I drove the fluence E 4 recently. As you say it's a great drive alright but that car was an ergonomics nightmare for me. Plus a Tad overpriced imo.
Wish you many happy miles in your new car. Safe driving!
Old 14th October 2012, 19:15   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
well done mate. I have been a Hyundai guy for the last twelve years and one thing I realised is in this country you cannot really go wrong with them. Especially when you see the Honda's Toyota's and Ford's recalling cars for faulty parts Hyundai has always (so far) not got any black marks! Next to none in A.S.S department is very comforting too.
A car manufacturer recalling cars shows that they are responsible. Atleast they are trying to make sure their customers are taken care of. Hyundai has not officially bothered to replace the steering of their cars plagued by rattle. Unless you tell them about it, they do not bother.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 22:08   #371
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the fluence E 4 recently. As you say it's a great drive alright but that car was an ergonomics nightmare for me. Plus a Tad overpriced imo.

i would agree with Shivasuma. Hyundai not recalling any car is NOT a sign that they make perfect cars. As we all know they have major problems !! e.g. the AC issue of early generation I20s ... The less said the better. it Being in India ,with its lax law enforcement and lack of consumer awareness also helps them !!. But nonetheless.... they make very good cars.

Nothing personal sir, just my 2 cents... BTW i am also Hyundai fanboy !
Seriously contemplating an Elantra in this navratras !
Old 14th October 2012, 22:30   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma

A car manufacturer recalling cars shows that they are responsible. Atleast they are trying to make sure their customers are taken care of. Hyundai has not officially bothered to replace the steering of their cars plagued by rattle. Unless you tell them about it, they do not bother.
Sir, Am not contesting your view at all, but not all car companies have recalled cars here in this country,when there is a world wide drive! Does this amount to those brands being irresponsible? Eg Toyota which had such a massive recall owing to a dangerous power window switch. Now out of those thousands of cars how many Were in India? rattling steering and ac vents are issues for sure. But life threatening or hazardous? Not to me. Our whole country is plagued with compromises. So long as it's cheap an average buyer is happy. Whether it is faulty power windows or rattling steering wheel. and I have owned a santro, accent, Verna and now a sonata. Never felt a steering rattle till now. Minor defects did exist in all of them but my service personnel did well to keep me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna

Being in India ,with its lax law enforcement and lack of consumer awareness also helps them !!.

Seriously contemplating an Elantra in this navratras !
Absolutely true about law and awareness. Like I said in the previous post an average buyer has not come across as someone with any awareness to safety norms or consumer rights. And everyone including Hyundai are taking advantage for sure.
About your car to be, am happy for you. Go for it mate. You won't regret it, Atleast not in India. it has the much needed "show" value, although there is a lot left to be improved, she still is value for money.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th October 2012 at 07:20. Reason: merging back to back posts. Please use the edit option when quoting within 30mins.
Old 14th October 2012, 22:46   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2931801. The Renault Fluence is being offered at 1.21 lakhs off F-L-A-T on the E4 variant. Looks like you haven't been doing your survey with vigour
Old 14th October 2012, 23:08   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile

The Renault Fluence is being offered at 1.21 lakhs off F-L-A-T on the E4 variant. Looks like you haven't been doing your survey with vigour
Lol. Thanks for bringing me back into this world. Yes have not seen this news and my TD of the fluence was sometime in March '12. Not sure If they had this offer then. Not that I would have bought it even then though!
Old 15th October 2012, 00:10   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. Thanks for bringing me back into this world. Yes have not seen this news and my TD of the fluence was sometime in March '12. Not sure If they had this offer then. Not that I would have bought it even then though!
I actually think the car is pretty good. A very good euro alternative to somebody looking at the Elantra. COz after the discount, the E4 is actually cheaper than the Elantra mid variant, which makes it good VFM. It is also a good alternate to somebody looking at Jetta/Laura. Similar euro traits, albeit it is less
fun to drive but with plusher ride quality.

However, the customer response porves that they don't seem to thunk so. All in all, I think the Fluence has a bit of an identity crisis. Neither competing with the Germans at the upper end nor with the Japs/koreans at the bottom end.

Are you considering the Elantra then? Take the discounts offered on all the cars into consideration. Once accounted for, the Elantra may not be as good VFM as you think it will be.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 15th October 2012 at 00:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks