Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2012, 17:08   #436
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post

Am hoping for the same buddy. By the way, any idea when the 2013 upgrade is expected. The last I heard, the time frame was around March 2013.

@zen kobane, raul and shivasuma have explained what it means for a car to be a driver's car or an enthusiasts car but I just wanted to add my two cents worth.

I drove both the Cruze manual and Elantra diesel manual on the same stretch of road (which is a stretch of abandoned road with zero traffic). In the Cruze, half way down the stretch, I was surprised to see the car doing 100+ because it just didn't feel that fast. The car was just as steady and firm as it is at low speeds. I had to slow down because I was doing this in torrential rain but the Cruze was eager for more. In the Elantra, I could tell the speed. The car just didn't feel as planted as the Cruze and was picking up little undulations. As for the steering, although it stiffened up a bit, it didn't feel connected to the wheels. And like I said earlier, my wife complained of a wallowing feeling at the back.

To give you a feel of the difference, I remember seeing this program on the F-16 fighter aircraft on Discovery a few years ago where the pilot describes flying the F-16 as different from flying other aircrafts because while you sit in other aircrafts to fly them, in the F-16, you feel like you have strapped on the jet to your back. You get that same feeling with the Cruze, or at least I did.

I share a similar opinion on the stability at high 100+ speeds. Its simply effortless and in no-time the engine responds. And your F-16 analogy - Gud one!!! Anyways - black interiors make you feel as if you are actually planted in a Cock-pit.

Same here, March 2013 is on my head too. But, I think I might venture out in January or February to Chevy dealers for getting some steal deals as they would have some 2012 models stock. To be honest, i like the current exterior fog lamps treatment better than 2013.

2013 - Cruze picture

As per maxabout, it says early 2013.
http://autos.maxabout.com/cars/chevr...-new-cruze-ltz

However, the touch-screen expected in the upgrade it simply too good. May be worth the wait

This thread suddenly looks more like Chevy Cruze thread than Hyundai Elantra...

@ Gaurav - Congrats for your Elantra. No car beats Elantra in exterior looks. Baby's got BACK
Old 21st October 2012, 18:21   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2703 View Post
Sneak-a-peek: First look at my new Hyundai Elantra Bronze SX CRDi, getting it delivered on 24th
Congratulations buddy! You beat me to it... I thought I'll be the first one with an Elantra here! I searched for a bronze Elantra at all the showrooms, since I never buy anything without seeing it in flesh, but failed. This color looks nice, actually Elantra looks nice in all colors. Good choice mate . Do me a favor and check if the production model has MID in it.

Looking forward to your ownership report.

@Everyone: Thanks for sharing your word on 'Driving Pleasure', I definitely appreciate your perspective on driving and its always good to know what and how differently others feel about the same thing.

And hey, ya lets get back to the sexy looking Elantra!

Last edited by zen kobane : 21st October 2012 at 18:23.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:28   #438

Thank you everyone! She sure's a stunner with a sexy derrier!
My apologies for not being able to put more pictures as I felt my phone cam would not do justice to this beauty. Expect a lot of them from my SLR when I finally lay my hands on her
@zen: MID is missing, but you hardly notice that when you sit in that smashing cabin
Old 21st October 2012, 19:59   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone! She sure's a stunner with a sexy derrier!
My apologies for not being able to put more pictures as I felt my phone cam would not do justice to this beauty. Expect a lot of them from my SLR when I finally lay my hands on her
@zen: MID is missing, but you hardly notice that when you sit in that smashing cabin
I second that

But I think I would have liked to know my efficiency from the car itself... You sure its not there, as in, I know the showroom ones didn't have it, but thought probably its there in the production models.

Waiting eagerly for some SLR shots
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:21   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane
But I think I would have liked to know my efficiency from the car itself... You sure its not there, as in, I know the showroom ones didn't have it, but thought probably its there in the production models.
Zk: as promised I checked around and this is what I hear. It's not possible to flash the firmware from Verna to elantra owing to some incompatible version of hardware and firmware in these two models. Plus my Hyundai technicians tell me it's not an encouraged practice too to alter such stuff.
Now why it got discontinued in elantra when it's in the Verna is a myth or anyone's guess. These guys didn't have an answer. Also the absence of turning off the gear shift indicator like you can in the Verna is evident. Again no reason why.
Will update you when I know about this.
cars_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:03   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
Zk: as promised I checked around and this is what I hear. It's not possible to flash the firmware from Verna to elantra owing to some incompatible version of hardware and firmware in these two models. Plus my Hyundai technicians tell me it's not an encouraged practice too to alter such stuff.
Since we are talking about modifications, you think there is a solution to the
- no feedback type steering (EPS)?
- comfort tune of the suspension? Can tuning change the suspension to feel more grounded at high speeds?
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:43   #442
BHPian

Zk: What I read and spoke to my technicians - EPS tends to have it's own separate control unit, and it's not at all likely that it will be accessible to tuners/end-users because of safety or liability concerns. It should be possible to improve the steering weight by altering the signal from the torque sensor or, if the EPS control unit and the motor are separate, by altering the signal or power supply to the motor. But remember, any of those may cause some unforseen issues and end in potentially very hazardous situations.

My recommendation - never touch these. Instead an easier approach would be to get wider soft compound tyres. Michellin may have some good models. although your wear on the rubber would be higher you should feel better steering control.

And oh, missed answering your second question. can't comment if the stock suspension can be tuned. May be harder springs can be an option but not sure. However, yes after market suspensions are available. Most of the Pete tuned cars are on those. Decreasing height and hugging roads will improve high speed handling. But these are very expensive and your warranty would be void almost instantaneously. A less expensive option could be to install anti sway bars or anti roll bars in the rear especially but again your warranty could be off and you need to find people who know what they are doing. Hyundai service folks most definitely won't do these for you.
And IMO this is best posted in a different thread as it could spawn several replies which may not directly relate to this topic.

Mods please push this post if you think it best belongs elsewhere.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd October 2012 at 00:18. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
cars_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:05   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
And oh, missed answering your second question. can't comment if the stock suspension can be tuned. May be harder springs can be an option but not sure. However, yes after market suspensions are available. Most of the Pete tuned cars are on those. Decreasing height and hugging roads will improve high speed handling. But these are very expensive and your warranty would be void almost instantaneously. A less expensive option could be to install anti sway bars or anti roll bars in the rear especially but again your warranty could be off and you need to find people who know what they are doing.
Oooh sounds like a great post warranty game-plan! I actually do know quite a few serious modifiers/designers who can do this for me.

Thanks for your wisdom

Last edited by zen kobane : 23rd October 2012 at 02:06.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:36   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To give you a feel of the difference, I remember seeing this program on the F-16 fighter aircraft on Discovery a few years ago where the pilot describes flying the F-16 as different from flying other aircrafts because while you sit in other aircrafts to fly them, in the F-16, you feel like you have strapped on the jet to your back. You get that same feeling with the Cruze, or at least I did.
Very well said, indeed.
I have had some unforgettable drives on the expressway in my friend's Octy TPi (with the 16" tyres that come with the vRS - so it's a vRS with no nonsense features of the vRS). The way the car hugs the road and the driver is amazing. Even my Laura TSi is no match to it on the curvy Lonavala/Khadala sections!

BTW, the petrol Elantra still uses indirect injection and no turbo. They should have launched the direct injection engine like the new Sonata. Should have been good technological edge over Honda and Toyota. I was reading a latest service bulletin about the new Sonata at the service center when I was getting the Tucson serviced. It mentions the following advantages of the GDI (if I remember the numbers correctly):
1. FE increase: 2%
2. Performance increase: 10%
3. Emission reduction: 50%
Old 25th October 2012, 21:37   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Sneak-a-peek: First look at my new Hyundai Elantra Bronze SX CRDi, getting it delivered on 24th
Dont you dare forget about us after delivery

Come back and post some initial thoughts and pictures, specially the tempting DSLR ones.

Old 26th October 2012, 09:22   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Dont you dare forget about us after delivery

Come back and post some initial thoughts and pictures, specially the tempting DSLR ones.

I guess he is busy enjoying his new toy and doesn't have the time to post here . Let's give him a few more days to enjoy his "Signature of Success" before we kick down his door and demand a few pictures and a review.

@gaurav2703, congratulations once again and drive safe.
Old 1st November 2012, 16:32   #447
BHPian

Quote:
@gaurav2703, congratulations once again and drive safe.
Hey Gaurav, I guess we are eagerly waiting for your take on it. Do share the initial impressions asap and also looking forward to an ownership thread.

I have few questions:

1. What is the average you are getting?
2. Hows the call quality?
3. Do the ventilated seats allow you to turn temp to hot, for winters?

Will post more questions soon. And congratulations again!
Old 1st November 2012, 17:32   #448
BHPian

Have just booked a white SX elantra (MT)from Noida showroom .
They are saying they have one in transit which they have "BOOKED" for me at unloading. Should reach by 4-5 days . Will take delivery on Dhanteras( if they keep their promise). Couldn't really decide on the color till the last minute ! Went with the white, to replace my white crdi i20 (magna) for which they have sent an evaluator for "buy back".
No discounts , no loyalty bonus though :-(
Old 1st November 2012, 22:32   #449
BHPian

On its first trip - Trichy to Thanjavur
Early delivery - Courtsey - GT Hyundai

Name:  ForumRunner_20121101_222846.png
Views: 4244
Size:  687.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20121101_223012.png
Views: 5131
Size:  604.9 KB
madhuperiasamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:07   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna
Have just booked a white SX elantra (MT)from Noida showroom .
Couldn't really decide on the color till the last minute ! Went with the white, to replace my white crdi i20 (magna) for which they have sent an evaluator for "buy back".
No discounts , no loyalty bonus though :-(
Well done. Wish you well with the car and many safe miles ahead. About buy back I don't think you should have an issue for a diesel i 20. However, tough luck with loyalty though. Not sure if Hyundai gives loyalty with the new fluidic diesel variants.

Most Viewed