Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 18:48   #526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I am also looking for an upgrade and elantra is one of the contenders. But the downside to me is the inability to squeeze in a 3rd person at the back seat due to the wide arm rest and raised firm center portion of the rear seat. Any comments on this?
to be honest the Elantra is an excellent car with all the bells and whistles. How often do you travel five?It is not that uncomfortable. I have personally traveled on that seat,but only for a few km. Even if you buy the captain seat Innova you have only 4 comfortable seats. All the best.
Old 6th October 2013, 20:55   #527
BHPian

re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Yes, you said it right. But even then its good to have space for an occasional 5th passenger and comfortable one at that. Actually i am confused between XUV and elantra. I know both are completely different vehicles but I like both of the vehicles. Both are almost equal features wise although elantra scores well in terms of reliability and ASS. XUV is much spacious in the 2nd row although i must admit that last row seats will seldom be used.
Both look VFM to me and XUV gives me a bit more options to explore but i am completely bold over by the looks, quality and interiors of elantra. Utterly confused to say the least.
Old 6th October 2013, 22:07   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you said it right. But even then its good to have space for an occasional 5th passenger and comfortable one at that. Actually i am confused between XUV and elantra. I know both are completely different vehicles but I like both of the vehicles. Both are almost equal features wise although elantra scores well in terms of reliability and ASS. XUV is much spacious in the 2nd row although i must admit that last row seats will seldom be used.
Both look VFM to me and XUV gives me a bit more options to explore but i am completely bold over by the looks, quality and interiors of elantra. Utterly confused to say the least.
Ask yourself if you would like to have a SUV or a sedan for the proposed budget. First answer that question, then it would be easier for you to pick the right vehicle. I was in a similar situation less than a month ago. I decided that I should go for a SUV if I am going to be spending more than 12L.
Old 26th October 2013, 22:44   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manas,

Were you able to decide? I am in the same confusion as well. I am aware both the vehicles are different category but I like the sophistication of the elantra and also the rugged SUV characteristics of XUV (also the extra space).

How much is the trunk capacity of the elantra?
Old 27th October 2013, 00:08   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Hi Manas,

Were you able to decide? I am in the same confusion as well. I am aware both the vehicles are different category but I like the sophistication of the elantra and also the rugged SUV characteristics of XUV (also the extra space).

How much is the trunk capacity of the elantra?
Hi. I ve finally booked the XUV after much confusion and deliberation. I ll be getting it in a week or so. Am not exactly sure about the trunk size of elantra but I guess it's around 590 litres.
Old 27th October 2013, 00:14   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I ve finally booked the XUV after much confusion and deliberation. I ll be getting it in a week or so. Am not exactly sure about the trunk size of elantra but I guess it's around 590 litres.
Congratulations!! If you dont mind me asking, can you please tell me your rationale behind the decision. Also which variant did you opt for?
Old 27th October 2013, 17:46   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Congratulations!! If you dont mind me asking, can you please tell me your rationale behind the decision. Also which variant did you opt for?
Thanks. . Mine is w8 variant without AWD. There was not much of a rationale behind it. Just went with the heart which said XUV. Then you know wives are wives. . She said What's the difference between linea and elantra? Both are sedans and 5 seaters ( elantra more of a 4 seater). .
Although I must say elantra was a very strong contender and if not for that 5th seat problem in it, I might have opted for it.
Old 1st November 2013, 11:39   #533
BHPian

A brief update on our buying experience. We booked an elantra CRDi base in Twilight blue with DSC Hyundai Chennai. At the time of booking, we were promised that all colors are available and can be delivered in 5 working days.

Payment was made and we were due to take delivery on the 31st of October. That morning, the sales rep calls us and tells us that Twilight blue is unavailable in the base model and offers us an alternative of black, silver or bronze.

We were seriously annoyed at this and asked for them refund the payment made. After this they agreed to source the colour we asked for and have now agreed to deliver the car by 8th Nov.

I am unable to understand why this information was not known to them first hand and why we needed to be pushed to take a colour that we didn't want in the first place just because they had to register by the end of the month!!
Old 12th November 2013, 02:34   #534
cdo

Firstly, great thread TSK. And a special thank you to the Team BHP admins for letting me in through the gates. Its my first post and I'm a huge fan of the community here.

I just got my Black Elantra SX petrol a week back and wanted to give my two cents.

For the average driver, the car is a dream. Comfortable, great looks, and a hoard of features more than you could imagine. I have to say, it got a little intimidating when I sat in it to take it out of the showroom from Nimbus Hyundai here in Noida.

The positives:
  1. Awesome looks, but then again, we all already know that
  2. Great, great leg space! I have had tall people (and i mean 6' to 6' 5") sit in the back seats as well as the front, who were all awfully pleased
  3. The acceleration, till the 5th gear, is more than you would need on highways as well as the city. Red light to red light dashes will make your heart race, but I woundnt recommend taking it to the track. On the other hand, the 5th & 6th gears will need downshifting for overtaking on the highways
  4. The speakers are more than average but more on audio on the next list.
  5. Handling is as smooth as one could imagine. The steering wheel feels solid in your hands, & driving it at the 3 digit speeds is sturdy and assuring.
  6. The abs works wonders without a doubt.
  7. The car seats 5 without a problem. A lot of people told me its good for 4 people only, but I haven't found that to be a problem at all.
  8. Inside storage space is more than ample, and the interiors are by no means cheap.
  9. The organ type accelerator and the dead pedal are just like what TSK said. They are fantastic, even for my cousin with giant feet, who wears a 11 shoe size.

The Negatives
  1. The rear view visibility is a little poor. It would have been better to have a clearer look at the cars behind
  2. The electronic stability feature kind of made me uncomfortable. I found it troublesome when i had to suddenly swerve the car to avoid hitting a biker who lost his balance, but the car counteracted. Thankfully I managed to stop the car thanks to the ABS. Maybe I'm wrong to blame it on the stability feature so more on this later.
  3. My biggest problem is with the OEM music system. It says it integrates with iPhones but in reality, thats through their own wire. Understand this; the aux ports have two inlets, one for a 3.5 mm jack & the other for a USB. The car came with a custom wire which had the 30 pin connecter for the iPhone at one end (pre-iPhone 5 for the Apple fanatics like me) & a 3.5 mm connecter ALONG WITH A USB port attached to it on the other end. Both the connecters get inserted into the aux ports for the wire to work. Using Apple's USB cords for iPhone 4, 4s & iPhone 5 didn't work, & gave reading errors. I have been told I need to buy another cable from Hyundai itself to support iPhone 5 & 5s (or any lighting connector for that matter). Add to this, if you connect with the system using bluetooth, you cannot skip music tracks using any buttons throughout the car, maybe it be on the steering column, on the music panel, or on the rear seat arm rest. On this note, any suggestions for change the music panel?
  4. The suspension seems a little rigid but I'm told this is because of the harder Nexen tires which are claimed to be patented since they are made to reduce the chances of having a puncture more than your average set of tires. Now im not sure whether I should switch the Bridgestones or not. What do you guys think? On the other hand, its not an uncomfortable drive. Just a little harder on the speed breakers than I'd like it to be.
  5. Too many buttons on the steering column. Every now and then I accidentally end up pressing a button on the steering while making a full turn. And to be honest, this happens more than I'd like to admit, which makes it down-right annoying. I guess it will need a little getting used to.

I'll update after the next fuelling session on mileage and performance. Let me know your views.

Cheers.
cdo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:57   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo View Post
My biggest problem is with the OEM music system. It says it integrates with iPhones but in reality, thats through their own wire. Understand this; the aux ports have two inlets, one for a 3.5 mm jack & the other for a USB. The car came with a custom wire which had the 30 pin connecter for the iPhone at one end (pre-iPhone 5 for the Apple fanatics like me) & a 3.5 mm connecter ALONG WITH A USB port attached to it on the other end. Both the connecters get inserted into the aux ports for the wire to work. Using Apple's USB cords for iPhone 4, 4s & iPhone 5 didn't work, & gave reading errors. I have been told I need to buy another cable from Hyundai itself to support iPhone 5 & 5s (or any lighting connector for that matter). Add to this, if you connect with the system using bluetooth, you cannot skip music tracks using any buttons throughout the car, maybe it be on the steering column, on the music panel, or on the rear seat arm rest. On this note, any suggestions for change the music panel?
I'll update after the next fuelling session on mileage and performance. Let me know your views.

Cheers.
Hey CDO,

First of all very warm welcome to the forum and welcome to the Elantra club. Congratulations on owning the Elantra which, in my opinion, is the best car in its segment. I also have faced the issue of connecting my ipad/iphone 5 to the OEM. When I connected the ipad to the system using the given connector, I found that I could not change tracks either by the steering controls or by the system controls. I cannot even change the tracks on ipad also. It is a big pain. As for iphone5, there is a 30 pin to lightning pin converter available in Apple stores which you can try. I haven't tried this, but I will try it soon.
Old 19th November 2013, 11:12   #536
BHPian

I also bought a elantra , blue in color diesel auto. Been giving me an average of 12 in city with AC on 100%. Feels good to drive and the best part I like is that it is very well insulated. With the radio on at a level of about8 , you can barely here the horn also. Is super good on highways in triple digit speeds and boy the ventilated seats are a boon.
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 15:20   #537
cdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Hey CDO,

First of all very warm welcome to the forum and welcome to the Elantra club. Congratulations on owning the Elantra which, in my opinion, is the best car in its segment.
Thanks sukhoi for both the welcomes. Even I agree. In its segment, I couldn't spot a car with more features, or better performance. The new Elantra clearly steals the cake.

Quote:
I also have faced the issue of connecting my ipad/iphone 5 to the OEM. When I connected the ipad to the system using the given connector, I found that I could not change tracks either by the steering controls or by the system controls. I cannot even change the tracks on ipad also. It is a big pain. As for iphone5, there is a 30 pin to lightning pin converter available in Apple stores which you can try. I haven't tried this, but I will try it soon.
I actually looked into this. Hyundai corporate states that the console aux is made for the iPod and iPhone 4s models, and not all iDevices. Also, the elantra handbook guide also stated clearly that other iDevices would probably malfunction with the connector. The guide also mentions connecting all iPhones (even the iPhone 5!) via the bluetooth setup, but the bluetooth connection will not support track switching from any of the OEM console functions anywhere in the car, may it be the steering column or the waterfall console (or the back seat for that matter).

I do appreciate their being clear and upfront about this, but its a tad bit annoying that even in today's day and age, these basic functionalities get skipped. Anyway, now planning a whole new ICE setup. Started saving for it too
Old 21st November 2013, 13:02   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo View Post
Thanks sukhoi for both the welcomes. Even I agree. In its segment, I couldn't spot a car with more features, or better performance. The new Elantra clearly steals the cake. I actually looked into this. Hyundai corporate states that the console aux is made for the iPod and iPhone 4s models, and not all iDevices. Also, the elantra handbook guide also stated clearly that other iDevices would probably malfunction with the connector. The guide also mentions connecting all iPhones (even the iPhone 5!) via the bluetooth setup, but the bluetooth connection will not support track switching from any of the OEM console functions anywhere in the car, may it be the steering column or the waterfall console (or the back seat for that matter). I do appreciate their being clear and upfront about this, but its a tad bit annoying that even in today's day and age, these basic functionalities get skipped. Anyway, now planning a whole new ICE setup. Started saving for it too
Hey CDO,

Don't change your ICE setup. I connected iPhone5 with the connector that I mentioned in the previous post. You will get it at any Apple authorised shop or maybe online. It costs around ₹1800/- and it works great. And guess what, you can even use all onboard controls to navigate your playlist. See attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-image547220978.jpg  

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-image1858444947.jpg  

Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra-image2020249649.jpg  

sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 15:07   #539
cdo

Quote:
Hey CDO,

Don't change your ICE setup. I connected iPhone5 with the connector that I mentioned in the previous post. You will get it at any Apple authorised shop or maybe online. It costs around ₹1800/- and it works great. And guess what, you can even use all onboard controls to navigate your playlist. See attached pics.
Sukhoi mate, you are the man! I don't know why I didnt think of this myself. All this while i was considering the cigarette lighter charger as the only option until I changed my ICE but you saved me a whole lot of money.

If only there was a smiley bowing down. Thanks again.
cdo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 08:52   #540
BHPian

Dear TeamBhpian's , my friend is about to take delivery of his 1.8 Ltr S VTVT Petrol Elantra in a couple of days. Yesterday self & my friend had gone to VTJ Hyundai to check the car before registration as it has landed the night before. We were shocked to find the hood insulation to reduce NVH missing. We asked the SE as to is it there with the car or not? His answer was even more shocking" Sir the hood insulation would be fitted on the car during PDI". What i would like to know is if the hood insulation is available on the Petrol 1.8 Ltr S variant?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks